Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:39 am 

New single, "Rats":

And some crazy special edition merch packages:
https://bodega.lomavistarecordings.com/ ... ions/ghost

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 am 

The hook didn't quite grab me but it is neat to see hints of Maiden-influenced guitar work in there. I'm curious to see how this turns out, especially in the wake of the whole former members controversy.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:23 am 

Pretty cool track, love the Maiden-esque bridge and the outro riff is surprisingly brutal for Ghost. Definitely a lot heavier and more metal than I expected after "Square Hammer", though it retains that sense of retro-pop catchiness - I guess going full pop/rock would've been too predictable.

I also adore the album artwork, very sinister looking.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:24 am 

Like the song, and like the style and moves of the singer. Waiting for the album. 'nuff said.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:40 am 

Fucking loved it. The last 30 seconds where the song gets fucking heavy out of nowhere is on the shortlist for my favorite Ghost song moments ever. The song is definitely more in the vein of something like Square Hammer, but mixed with a classic heavy metal vibe to the guitar work and overall vibe, and I think it's safe to say the rest of the album will be like this too. Somehow, someway, Ghost is topping themselves again.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm 

I can't listen to the track right now but will definitely check it out later. I'm pretty stoked on this as I have been waiting to hear the release date, and that album art is fucking sick! The only thing that's odd to me is that the album comes out at the end of their US tour? I was hoping to be able to buy it at the show if I get to go but I guess not. Normally tours start with a release of the album rather than end with it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:36 pm 

the timing is definitely odd. but this is more of a small market tour since they aren't hitting many huge cities so i think it's more to build hype and cover places they missed last time. tickets on this tour come with a download of the album, but obviously that only works starting june 1st. i'm sure there will be another tour later this year.

and yeah, fully fucking stoked on the song. i think Square Hammer is one of their best songs ever, but i really like that this one is a mix of that poppier flavor with more metal stuff.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 pm 

Liked it a lot, sounds pretty awesome to me, and I'm not even an avid fan of theirs. Artwork's cool but I honestly think most of their covers don't fit the music very well, I wish they used a more vintage horror movie poster style like in their debut. But what's up with that new mask? It's freaking disgusting.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm 

This is killer. Fun stuff as always and I enjoy how 80s the vibe is on this one but still has some surprises and twists like that outro.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:43 pm 

Yup, cannot bring myself to hate this.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:03 pm 

That had a lot more "oomph" than I normally expect from Ghost. The heavier guitar work is appreciated, and that solo is great! I'm still not a fan of the vocals though.... those stopped me from enjoying this band in the past, and they will probably do again. Sad because the songs themselves are fun as hell.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 pm 

i actually didn't hate that song. could've done without the oooh-aaa in the chorus, though.

really, really great artwork tho

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:43 pm 

In terms of vocals, the oooh-aaaah part was the best of the song. I really liked the instruments but I just felt that it could have been a lot better with some.... how it is to say, more powerful vocals. Maybe a little deeper vocal delivery.

Edit: But, oh man, the music video itself is fantastic.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:34 am 

Only thing I hate (and this is a nitpick) is that it doesn't look old-school. Ghost had always tried to look like something ominous from the 70s or 80s that you missed out on (ie. the videos for Secular Haze and Cirice had a vintage feel to them). Even if it wasn't that good later on (ie. From the Pinnacle to the Pit and Square Hammer looked too fake) I was still glad they did it. This one barely tries to look that way (there are some film effects but they aren't so noticeable).

But besides that, I love the song. I love the rhythm, I love the vocals, I dig the new Papa... I'm on board the hype train.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:30 am 

So I like the song but that video is horrendous. How do you go from Papa Emeritus to John Travolta in Grease? The occult vibe is completely gone but I guess I’ll just have to get used to his new Gary Busey look

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:51 am 

The dancing is fucking great. Can't help but feel this is a slight step backwards from Meliora however. I liked where the music was headed with Square Hammer, too.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:11 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm 

I just don't even care anymore, they are fun and catchy and when/if i listen to them it's when i need something light hearted.

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:54 pm 

I saw them once, big bombastic intro, but then they started to play. I walked away and I asked myself ever since why they are hyped so much. They seem feeble at best and they announce a new vocalist weekly. But I suppose their sound is radio approved so that figures.

Atomization - Spotify

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:44 pm 

Woutjinho wrote:
I saw them once, big bombastic intro, but then they started to play. I walked away and I asked myself ever since why they are hyped so much. They seem feeble at best and they announce a new vocalist weekly. But I suppose their sound is radio approved so that figures.

the vocalist is the same guy lol.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 pm 

Ha. that was awesome. I have yet to see a Ghost single that I didn't immediately replay like 3 or 4 times. Not quite like the first time I saw Cirice, which is pretty much the best at recapturing that 70s occult movie vibe (the enthusiastic couple in the audience are like a story unto themselves), but the weird dancing and apocalyptic barrels burning on the street thing will win me over. And the riffing was fucking great. I can't say I've ever sat and listened to a complete Ghost album but between their singles and the concert videos on YT I've probably replayed them a zillion times. The vocals always remind me of BOC especially on the Club Ninja album and that's not a bad thing.

Rats off to ya.

e: the vid of them playing in I think Amoeba Records will always be my fave Ghost vid

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:25 am 

g_k wrote:
Woutjinho wrote:

the vocalist is the same guy lol.

What's with the announcements of papa emeritus 1,2 and 3 in the past few years? I don't know who the vocalist is now, but I'm there have been other vocalists.

Lol? Seriously?

Atomization - Spotify

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:17 am 

Woutjinho wrote:
What's with the announcements of papa emeritus 1,2 and 3 in the past few years? I don't know who the vocalist is now, but I'm there have been other vocalists.

No, there has only ever been one vocalist and he's actually the only consistent member of the band since the debut, he writes all the music and everyone else is just a hired gun. It's just a little gimmick they do, to fit with the pope/Vatican church theme and allows them to update their appearance to suit the theme of the upcoming album.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:03 am 

Well like always, Papa Emeritus is one of the lamest, wimpiest, weakest vocalists to ever touch a microphone. He sounds like fucking Passenger, it's unreal how he can always find a way to sing with so little power. Ghost is a joke and they always have been.

But god help me I fucking love this song. I can't explain it, it's so stupid, it's just a midpaced glam song with a random stompy metal riff shoehorned into the last thirty seconds, but damn I can't get that chorus out of my head and I'll be damned if that isn't a bitchin' solo. I've always thought Ghost was meh at best and absolutely laughable at worst, and honestly none of the elements are really all that different here but for some reason I just can't stop listening to it.

gg Ghost, you got me this time.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:50 am 

Overrated crap

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:21 am 

Love the song, and will echo that the part at the end is fucking awesome.

But, yeah, the new Papa/Cardinal image isn't doing it for me. I see a lot of Frank Booth from Blue Velvet (only Frank was scarier)

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:39 pm 

i really don't understand why this dude always has prosthetics on to make him look older lol. MAKE ANOTHER REPUGNANT ALBUM.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 am 

true_death wrote:
Pretty cool track, love the Maiden-esque bridge and the outro riff is surprisingly brutal for Ghost. Definitely a lot heavier and more metal than I expected after "Square Hammer", though it retains that sense of retro-pop catchiness - I guess going full pop/rock would've been too predictable.

I also adore the album artwork, very sinister looking.

Weird, I heard very little metal in 'Rats' but I thought Square Hammer fucking rocked- but yeah, light on metal that's for sure.

I'm keen to hear basically anything these guys do. Sometimes hit and miss, but Cirice had one of the most evil riffs I've heard.

Their albums tend towards a bit of filler though.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:28 am 

I haven't really been excited about Ghost since the debut but oh man do I love the (Judas) Priest-ish guitars in ”Rats”. That closing riff is also heavy as the balls of a bull. I really hope the rest of the album has this classic heavy metal feel.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 am 

damn if that isn't as catchy as fuck. I've liked each new album less than the one before it so hopefully this is a sign of the next one matching up to the debut.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:37 pm 

I can't get that song out of my head if I tried it's so damn catchy. Also, the music video is hilarious! Those dance moves are amazing... :lol:

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:43 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Well like always, Papa Emeritus is one of the lamest, wimpiest, weakest vocalists to ever touch a microphone. He sounds like fucking Passenger, it's unreal how he can always find a way to sing with so little power.

he wasn't so bad in Repugnant :(

Woutjinho
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm 

true_death wrote:
No, there has only ever been one vocalist and he's actually the only consistent member of the band since the debut, he writes all the music and everyone else is just a hired gun. It's just a little gimmick they do, to fit with the pope/Vatican church theme and allows them to update their appearance to suit the theme of the upcoming album.

Similar to the tactics of Slipknot. Somehow it seems to work with the mainstream.

Atomization - Spotify

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm 

I bring this up in every Ghost thread, but Tobias isn't solely responsible for the music. Songwriting credits are in the public domain in the US. Check it out: https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/wri ... IAS%20JENS

A lot of the first two albums were written with the other Repugnant guys, and this pop songwriter who usually works with Robyn, Britney Spears, Katy Perry etc. helped with most of Meliora. Rats was co-written by this dude, which means he'll probably be on other songs on this album. He seems more of a rock dude, so we can probably expect more heavy-ish songs for the rest of the album. With that said, it's worth noting that producers on Major Label albums typically get a songwriting credit as part of their contract, so it doesn't necessarily mean they helped create the song.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:37 am 

So Ghost did a Facebook live stream just now, and the big things they announced were that they're playing the LA Forum on November 16 and the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on December 15. Tickets go on sale on Friday.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Bloody Nine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:46 pm 

I get a bit of a King Diamond/MF influence in Rats. I can imagine King singing that chorus.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:16 pm 

honestly I like his vocals, I get the complaint that he is lacking power, but I don't think every singer ever needs to just belt shit out.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:16 pm 

his vocals in repugnant are actually fantastic too, his delivery anyway.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm 

New interview with Tobias: https://www.billboard.com/articles/colu ... -interview

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:53 am 

Two live versions of new songs: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ghost- ... ood-video/

Dance Macabre sounds catchy. I feel like that's gonna be a big hit.

Faith is definitely darker and less straight forward. Gonna need to hear the album version to form a stronger opinion, but so far, I like both of these new songs.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next