Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:53 am 

Sidebar topic, no heavy derailment intended:

Curious to see what Europeans on the board think of things like the BIG6 and the former EFL and WAFL/NFL Europe/NFL Europa-that is European leagues for American/Gridiron Football.

This is just a curiosity for me more than anything. I don't give much of a shit about sports in general, let alone European Football/Soccer, and have only the most peripheral knowledge of American/Gridiron Football.
Obliteration

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Well, the info was for everyone...

May I know what your problem is?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:19 pm 

What are you talking about? Actually, take it in a PM if it matters, no derailing of this thread.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:25 pm 

Sorry dude, I misunderstood your post, my bad! :p We're cool! :D

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:52 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
zenit and napoli are the main candidates to win it

Well I sure hope Zenit don't considering we have drawn them for the next round!

As for who I think will win the Europa, I can't look past Athletico or Napoli. Athletico Madrid especially, after coming so close to winning the Champions League over the last couple of years, are going to be thirsty for a European trophy.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:45 pm 

Exciting times for my club. We have been taken over by someone who Brad Pitt once portrayed in a film.

The Premier League beckons....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... illy-beane

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:14 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
Exciting times for my club. We have been taken over by someone who Brad Pitt once portrayed in a film.

The Premier League beckons....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... illy-beane

ahahah sooo cool! hoping to see Barnsley flourish! :D

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:56 pm 

I absolutely am just itching, ITCHING tell ya, to see what FSG has got lined up for replacing Coutinho.

Absolute stinking of a rat's turd mind ya, but for fuck's sake in the winter transfer window... :( :ugh:

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:02 am 

a dream debut voor virgil too

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:11 am 

The Seville derby was an absolute belter tonight. Betis managed to score both in the first 20 seconds of the match and then with the last kick of the game. It finished 5-3 to Betis. The frequent end-to-end nature of the match and a red hot crowd along with no lack of technical skill made this one a great Saturday night's watch. Did anyone else tune in?

Sure beat Norwich-Chelsea anyway, which I'd just watched prior.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm 

One of the weirdest things ever happened in Nantes-Paris Saint-Germain. A referee first running into the direction of a player and then attempting to take him down before sending him off...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:39 pm 

i saw the last 30 min of city vs liverpool, what a game

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:07 pm 

Yesterday here in Portugal Sporting CP won the League Cup for the first time.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:03 am 

Unity wrote:

First time ever? Can't believe that! How long has the League Cup been played for?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
Unity wrote:

First time ever? Can't believe that! How long has the League Cup been played for?

Ten years - it began in the 2007/2008 season. :)

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 pm 

Unity wrote:

Ten years - it began in the 2007/2008 season. :)[/quote]

In that case I can believe it!

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:45 pm 

It was fucking hard to watch Liverpool go down to those insipid, yet effective tactics the later week. My god did Trent get turned inside and out, fair play to Marcus. That youngster always looked to good for Jose, as well as Martial.

Now this weekend kinda made up for it. Mo and Bobby :love: But especially Firmino. There's no forward like him.

I'd be happy with a nice and drama-free top 4 finish with a dogfight against City. Remember those utterly insane 8 minutes after Firmino's second goal at Anfield? More of that, and as smart as that.

Metal_Guderian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:19 am 

Red_Death wrote:
It was fucking hard to watch Liverpool go down to those insipid, yet effective tactics the later week. My god did Trent get turned inside and out, fair play to Marcus. That youngster always looked to good for Jose, as well as Martial.

Now this weekend kinda made up for it. Mo and Bobby :love: But especially Firmino. There's no forward like him.

I'd be happy with a nice and drama-free top 4 finish with a dogfight against City. Remember those utterly insane 8 minutes after Firmino's second goal at Anfield? More of that, and as smart as that.

As soon as Rashford came on Klopp should have been active with changes! Perhaps taking off Alex-Arnold, putting Milner on the right and bringing Henderson on to play in the middle. Milner might have been more aware to keep Rashford on his left foot, and better able to contain the threat.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:56 pm 

Rashford was in the starting 11 tho. I'm not sure Gomez would have been the man to play right back because he got turned many times as well, but I suppose that's what you can expect with playing Joe and Trent as sole RBs across the whole season.

I don't think Milner ever played right back actually, but no doubt he could - were he not busy with being in the starting midfield. Hendo's finished in my opinion, that heel is the way it is and that's it.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:43 pm 

Just came here to say - WE'RE THROUGH TO THE SEMIS

:hyper: :headbang: :hyper: :headbang:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 am 

So, what team are you guys rooting for to win the Champions League? I'd like to see Liverpool win it, because I like Klopp, preferably against Real Madrid.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 pm 

id rather have a roma vs liverpool final and it feels depressing that the modern state of champions league has deteriorated that im rooting for such teams as underdogs now.

Mamont
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:52 am 

I don't like any of the remaining teams, but if I had to choose I would prefer Roma to win Champions League. Even if I know this won't happen, and Real will win, again...

Anyone have forecasts for upcoming World Cup? I don't think we will have a lot of surprises. I think strong teams will be the same as the last Euro (France, Germany, Spain), with maybe a surprise coming from Brazil this time.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:08 am 

My preference for CL winner of the remaining teams is Roma, since they have much less history of success in European cups than the others.

Mamont wrote:
I think strong teams will be the same as the last Euro (France, Germany, Spain), with maybe a surprise coming from Brazil this time.

Why would it be a surprise if Brazil is among the strong teams? They won the South American qualification and finished ten points ahead of the second placed team, and had a goal difference of 30, compared to the second highest that was 12.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:35 am 

i expect the usual suspects as always but hopefully the teams will be more in shape than during the last EC. The last WC was so good because every team was pretty much in form.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:40 pm 

Well dang! That could hardly have been closer. Toronto FC almost became the first Canadian club to win the CONCACAF Champions League. Played Chivas Guadalajara to a 3-3 draw, with each team winning their road match 2-1, then flubbed it in the shootout. Well, at least now Toronto is free to fully focus on defending their MLS league title.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:26 pm 

That was a crazy game last night! On one side, I would have liked a Canadian or any MLS team for that matter to finally win the CONCACAF Champions League title against a Mexican opponent. On the other side, Toronto is an amazing city but I don't like their sports teams and would prefer Montreal or Vancouver to win such a title before them. Well, then, Leafs are eliminated and TFC lost, so Torontonians can watch basketball or baseball now.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:43 pm 

It will be unbearable in the UK if the bloody scousers win the thing. I can't bring myself to support Madrid.

I will just hope for a good game for the neutrals.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:43 am 

Hamburger SV and 1. FC Koln are relegated to second division! What a great day for German football! Especially Hamburg deserved to go down after years of atrocious football. The last original member of the league is gone. Dinosaurs have gone extinct!

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:00 pm 

Forgot to mention in this thread that my team won the Swedish Cup a few days ago! Our fifth cup title ever, in addition to our eleven championship titles. We mangled the reigining Swedish champions Malmö with 3-0:

Since the video doesn't show the entire play to the last goal, which was amazing, here is the great performance by Fredrik Ulvestad, who came from Burnley this year:
https://streamable.com/y2ehg

Our tifo arrangements before the first and second half respectively:

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:10 pm 

Congrats! And it's nice to see such a colourful display with the flares! Shame they're illegal these days here in Portugal... :(

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 am 

my team the no 4 team historically speaking of the netherlands fc twente got relegated. I blame the semi panicky coach switch early this season combined with a bloated selection of too many players reliant on skill and lacking real fighters.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:23 am 

Unity wrote:
Congrats! And it's nice to see such a colourful display with the flares! Shame they're illegal these days here in Portugal... :(

In France the flares always end on the field.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Deathdoom1992
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:21 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
my team the no 4 team historically speaking of the netherlands fc twente got relegated. I blame the semi panicky coach switch early this season combined with a bloated selection of too many players reliant on skill and lacking real fighters.

Twente got relegated?!?! I remember you guys being in Europe a few years ago. Wtf happened that your form fell off that far in such short time?

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:31 am 

spend too much money and got nearly bankrupt managed to keep the head above water fairly decently but this year everything just coalesced into a solid turd

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:15 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
Unity wrote:

In France the flares always end on the field.

Well, to tell you the truth, even though they're illegal here sometimes stuff like this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Soz4FAeXEg

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:53 pm 

That might actually be the reason why it's forbidden in Portugal. And I don't know about yours but here some things upset me like the fans who can be reaaaally stupid just for supporting their team... Like there is always a strong opposition between Paris and Marseille (the 2nd or 3rd biggest city) and fans of both clubs completely despise each others.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:20 am 

It's actually not allowed here either, but it's still used. It's just that those holding the flares have to mask themselves and hide, for example under an overhead-flag, before and after.

In other news: I just noted that Maradona is the new manager and president of the Belarussian club Dynamo Brest!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:58 am 

Andreas_Hansen wrote:
That might actually be the reason why it's forbidden in Portugal. And I don't know about yours but here some things upset me like the fans who can be reaaaally stupid just for supporting their team... Like there is always a strong opposition between Paris and Marseille (the 2nd or 3rd biggest city) and fans of both clubs completely despise each others.

You wouldn't believe what goes on here. Ultra groups traffic drugs and guns, people get killed and the government does nothing.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:32 am 

England just announced the lamest, least motivating and outright boring squad selection ever. England were never going to do anything this world cup, but they could have at least made some exciting and daring squad selections. Why not go with Leon Bailey, Ryan Sessegnon and Jamaal Lascelles instead of fucking Welbeck, Delph and Cahill?

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 31  Next