Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:44 pm 

They posted on their Facebook earlier today that their stuff is being speed shipped over. And mentioned also "The tour will go on with or without our shits." They're playing at St Vitus tonight, looks like pending any changes there shouldn't be any issues with their MDF performance.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 pm 

Abhomine’s spot is being filled by Scorched.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm 

All y'all who I do and don't know come say hi to me this weekend and introduce yourselves if we haven't met. Y'all should probably know what i look like by now. Tonight I'll be pretty much at sound stage the entire night.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
All y'all who I do and don't know come say hi to me this weekend and introduce yourselves if we haven't met. Y'all should probably know what i look like by now. Tonight I'll be pretty much at sound stage the entire night.

Soundstage is the place to be tonight. I'm wearing a Slaughter shirt, if you see me say hello

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:52 am 

I was only at Soundstage last night. The rest of the weekend I’m at Rams head. I wear a denim vest with an Order From Chaos back patch.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:04 am 

Black Lotus Kult T-shirt today (Friday). Grey hair and beard. Jean jacket with colorful patches (TOPI, Pft, Mizmor, Feral House, etc.).

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:24 am 

If you were at sound stage last night and saw two drunk idiots doing karaoke outside for a solid 30 minutes one of them was me.

Azmodes wrote:

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:11 pm 

If anyone wants to grab a drink and bullshit a little I’ll be in the Rams Head area. Just look for a big guy with long hair, beard, patch vest, camo shorts and I’ll be wearing a moonsorrow shirt today (sat) and a Candlemass shirt on (sun). Despite all the cancellation and bs I hope everyone enjoys the fest this year!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:04 am 

I hope none of you skipped on Scorched or Suffering Hour. As far as the smaller bands go here, they were the best.

Dusk might also be the best death doom band that no one really talks about.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:25 pm 

Overall I thought the fest was pretty decent although I am debating rather or not to attend next year. I still think this fest to survive needs the Edison Lot back a or a return to an open air fest. Too many cancellations have just ruined this for me, even know there was a nice amount of vendors this year it still lacks a festival feel. The organizers don’t want to get big names no more but are happy to book Helmet! Also the set times were terrible! In the past this was always over by 12. I missed Satyricon because they didn’t come on to after midnight; I just can’t hang that long not after getting up at six in the morning and driving 3 hours to Baltimore after working all week prior. What I paid for and the bands were saw were not worth my hundred dollars for two day pass one venue. I did however injoyed DHG and Ruins of Bervast two bands I probably would never got to see had it not been for MDF. So I don’t know? Next year Is really up in the air for me right now. Any others thoughts on the fest post event? Will you be returning next year?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:59 pm 

That's why you crash somewhere if you can't afford a hotel on your own. :P

Bands that I couldn't get into:

Broken Hope
Mortal Decay
Ascended Dead
Thantifaxath
Sinmara

Granted, I'd probably like them better if I was more familiar with their material. Thantifaxath were too noodly and were definitely not a worthy replacement for Darkspace. I actually walked out to drop off my CDs I picked up in case I wanted to do some moshing (which later happened during Arkhon Infaustus)

Bands that were just okay:
Torn the Fuck Apart
Gutted
Mortem
Sinister
Perdition Temple
Petrification

Sinister are another band I'd probably pay more attention to if I was more familiar with their material. Perdition Temple's material isn't what I'd call ideal, but I was right in front of Gene Palubicki the entire set and that dude shreds like a mofo. He alone made the set worth it for me.

Bands that were definitely good:
Evoken
Misery Index
God Dethroned
Ritual Necromancy
Phrenelith
Dodheimsgard
Sadistic Intent
The Ruins of Beverast
Opera IX

Henri from God Dethroned tripped over his guitar cord like three times and had to sneak behind the speakers to plug it back in, but their set was otherwise really good (they played fuckin' "Poison Fog" :headbang: ) and it makes me want to go back and actually listen to the Ravenous and The World Ablaze albums. Aside from their over the top intro and Vicotnik acting like a goon, DHG were cool. The audience kinda hurt the Beverast experience more than anything just because it's not what I'd consider to be moshing music; thank god it was mostly contained to the "Daemon" track.

Bands I hope you guys didn't miss because these guys kicked ass:
Defeated Sanity
Incantation
Blood Incantation
Scorched
Suffocation
Bolzer
Master's Hammer
Suffering Hour
Dusk
Arkhon Infaustus
Godflesh

Bolzer opened with Roman Acupuncture material, which is an EP I don't particularly care for, but once the Hero and Aura material kicked on they fucking slayed. Master's Hammer was amazing like I thought they'd be. I already saw Blood Incantation, Scorched, and Suffocation; but they play so well they're worth seeing again. The bands above that I never heard before they played were Suffering Hour, Dusk, and Arkhon Infaustus. Those three played really awesome sets and we kinda played a little bit of red light-green light in the mosh pit with Arkhon Infaustus's tempo changes. I wasn't expecting Dusk to outshine Evoken, but these guys are legitimately heavy death doom and I'm definitely a fan now.

And lastly, I want to mention Godflesh. I went in to their show not knowing what to expect. I thought I might bail part way through. But the sound and the atmosphere was just so surreal I ended up getting hypnotized. As the set went on, I got more enthusiastic with the headbanging until I got to the edge of the mosh pit (yes there was moshing and it was hectic). By the end of the set, I was shoulder to shoulder with some stranger singing along with "Like Rats" (Streetcleaner was the only material I was familiar with going in, but I liked that album). I'd definitely see them again, but in the meantime I've got some listening to do.

I made a few new friends over the weekend too so I'd say my overall experience was better than last year's. I want to buy another car before the year ends, so I'll need to double check my funds before committing for next year, but if the lineup is solid enough I'll go yet again.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:21 pm 

conquer__all wrote:
Overall I thought the fest was pretty decent although I am debating rather or not to attend next year. I still think this fest to survive needs the Edison Lot back a or a return to an open air fest. Too many cancellations have just ruined this for me, even know there was a nice amount of vendors this year it still lacks a festival feel. The organizers don’t want to get big names no more but are happy to book Helmet! Also the set times were terrible! In the past this was always over by 12. I missed Satyricon because they didn’t come on to after midnight; I just can’t hang that long not after getting up at six in the morning and driving 3 hours to Baltimore after working all week prior. What I paid for and the bands were saw were not worth my hundred dollars for two day pass one venue. I did however injoyed DHG and Ruins of Bervast two bands I probably would never got to see had it not been for MDF. So I don’t know? Next year Is really up in the air for me right now. Any others thoughts on the fest post event? Will you be returning next year?

Get out of my mind!!

Yeah, this exactly sums up my feeling as well. Obviously all the great bands come on way too late. By Saturday afternoon I hit a serious wall of hangover/burnout/exhausted by band plays/25 minute setup/band plays etc.

Way too many cancellations announced way too late.

If I go next year, I'm just going to do Soundstage Fri Sat Sun.

I've come to despise Rams Head Live

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:22 am 

Rams Head sucks. I've been the last two years and caught exactly one band each time over there.

Azmodes wrote:

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:29 pm 

Rams head is fucking horrid! The place stinks, the floor is like walking in oil and the sound is very bad.
No security so you got people smoking weed, vaping and doing who knows what else. The drinks inside are expensive as shit....I can go on and on.... and the bathroom flunky? Fucking for real!!!!!???? If I do go next year I will only go to soundstage show unless by some miracle they get some great bands that don’t cancel and they are playing rams head.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:38 pm 

Geez, I don't know if I need to be worried about getting old or glad I'm a pickier beer drinker than the rest of you. I'm not even a partier and I don't even have problems staying up late; but turning in early on Saturday was what I did too because it was better than the alternative: sitting through a fucking Satyricon set. :puke:

Maybe I need to bring a cooler with Troegs Hopback or Yards Porter, but even the beer at Rams Head was about the same price as Soundstage charged for cans.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:04 am 

Natty Boh all fucking day. Even if it is $7 :fuck: :fuck: .... I skipped Satyricon too but didn't go to sleep. We went up to PBR and closed the place down, cheaper beer and lots of women.

Azmodes wrote:

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:12 am 

Looks like I haven't missed much with the Satyricon set ;) Read the rest of my adventure in the Live Reviews section ;)
I brought two denims: one with a huge Asphyx-Exodus patch and my Dutch Denim (huge: Gorefest, The Shavers). Only during God Dethroned I was on first row, made a great mosh at Suffocation and stood next to the Pig Destroyer madness, tossing around some $ 2,000 worth of photo equipment.

I used to despise Ram's Head too, but me being small (173 cm) I'm happy with the stairs, even though I can't mosh this way of course. The Stella Abortion wasn't as bad as, say, two years ago. They have free tap water, which is great when it's so humid/warm as this year. SoundStage is more intimate with the lower stage and I friggin'love Yeungling beers. So many people tripped over that inch high difference on the floor...

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:49 pm 

Any predictions for next year? Wish lists? Bands you want to see or come back? For me I would Love to see: Kalmah, kampfar, Ahab, Catpathian Forest, Vreid (Windir set)

Returning bands: Samael, Impaled Nazarene, DHG.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:14 am 

I just really want more thrash this time...

First wave announcements so far has Violator, D.R.I. and Frightmare so it seems like things are looking up in this department. Would be dope to see Sodom, Vektor or Nekromantheon get announced.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3