Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:29 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:
It meant something to get one done for this challenge, so I did Diamhea would have done - I clicked the "random band" button and checked a page over for errors. I gave the band a few listens over the last week, and wrote a review that nobody will ever read. Fitting.

I read it. Thought it was kind of a fun conincidence that you reviewed a demo from 1986 and mentioned Journey, and around the same time i submitted a review for an old band's 2014 album, mentioned Journey as well and said that it sounded like they hadn't updated their synths since 1986. :P

That's quite a coincidence, although I guess Journey and synths from 1986 are nearly inseparable. I wasn't quite sure how to describe that element of this band's music - I was thinking Inxs, and I asked OpsiusCato, who thought it was like Journey.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:55 pm 

Whelp, I'm spent and this thing is just about over any way. Managed to field 30 reviews, which is a few less than what I did last time. I wasn't really planning on trying to go all out on this challenge as Diamhea and I had planned to duke it out during the winter challenge, so I may end up trying to see if I can clear my schedule that week and give a crack at breaking his record as a final dedication to his memory. Great job everyone, I'm pretty sure gasmask has this thing won by about 30 reviews, congrats to him and everyone else. :thumbsup:
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:16 am 

I think I've probably miscounted my review total because I seem to have 67 and was actually aiming for 66 in order to beat Diamhea's second best score by one (and obviously get kvlt points for more sixes). In any case, it's good to have beaten my own personal total, and I'm pleased to see that hells_unicorn and kluseba were pushing hard at the end too. Roll on the Winter Challenge and some tougher competition, because I took it easy at the weekend so as not to annoy my girlfriend too much!

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:04 am 

Daily Tally for June 17 2018
Total Reviews: 59 / 407
Total Virgin Reviews: 58 / 368
Percentage (VIRGINS/TOTAL): 98.3% / 90.4%

Participant List for June 17 2018
Total Participants: 22 / 63
Today's Totals per Individual:
Spoiler: show
Abominatrix = 1
autothrall = 1
Cat III = 1
CHAIRTHROWER = 1
Derigin = 3
dismember_marcin = 1
dystopia4 = 2
Felix 1666 = 1
Five_Nails = 4
gasmask_colostomy = 11
Gothic_Metalhead = 1
hells_unicorn = 7
kluseba = 9
Mailman__ = 1
MDL = 1
Napero = 1
psychoticnicholai = 1
splntrdgrss = 1
Tanuki = 1
TheBurningOfSodom = 1
TheStormIRide = 7
Zodijackyl = 1

Did not participate this day:
Acrobat
Andreas_Hansen
BastardHead
BeholdtheNicktopus
Cadaver Garden
Chris Jennings
DHJN
DMhead777
Edmund Sackbauer
Empyreal
EzraBlumenfeld
FishTailedGoat
Goatfangs
GOOFAM
GrizzlyButts
JackOfAllBlades
Liquid_Braino
metalhead22burks
mocata9
MostlyYelling
MrMetalpants
NausikaDalazBlindaz
notagenius
no_return_br
ohfuck
Orbitball
PaganiusI
PorcupineOfDoom
PowerEagle
RapeTheDead
raspberrysoda
ReleaseTheBears
SlayerDeath666
Spatupon
SweetLeaf95
tahu157
televiper11
ThornOfCrimsonDeath
tomcat_ha
Twisted_Psychology
Vinterd

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:06 am 

TOTAL VIRGINS: 368

On average, 90% of all reviews from the week were virgins! This was the same as last challenge!

The 1st Diamhea Memorial Review Challenge was a great success! We surpassed the last challenge by 15 reviews, and had more participants than last time, at 63.

Participant List GRAND TOTALS
gasmask_colostomy = 67 (1st Place)
hells_unicorn = 30 (2nd Place)
kluseba = 30 (2nd Place)
GOOFAM = 22 (3rd Place)
TheStormIRide = 21
GrizzlyButts = 18
Goatfangs = 15
Tanuki = 14
Spatupon = 11
Abominatrix = 10
tomcat_ha = 8
Mailman__ = 7
Edmund Sackbauer = 6
Twisted_Psychology = 6
MDL = 5
RapeTheDead = 5
Cat III = 4
dystopia4 = 4
Five_Nails = 4
Liquid_Braino = 4
splntrdgrss = 4
televiper11 = 4
CHAIRTHROWER = 3
Derigin = 3
dismember_marcin = 3
DMhead777 = 3
EzraBlumenfeld = 3
MrMetalpants = 3
SweetLeaf95 = 3
Acrobat = 2
autothrall = 2
BastardHead = 2
Felix 1666 = 2
FishTailedGoat = 2
Gothic_Metalhead = 2
Napero = 2
ohfuck = 2
PaganiusI = 2
PorcupineOfDoom = 2
PowerEagle = 2
psychoticnicholai = 2
raspberrysoda = 2
SlayerDeath666 = 2
Andreas_Hansen = 1
BeholdtheNicktopus = 1
Cadaver Garden = 1
Chris Jennings = 1
DHJN = 1
Empyreal = 1
JackOfAllBlades = 1
metalhead22burks = 1
mocata9 = 1
MostlyYelling = 1
NausikaDalazBlindaz = 1
no_return_br = 1
notagenius = 1
Orbitball = 1
ReleaseTheBears = 1
tahu157 = 1
TheBurningOfSodom = 1
ThornOfCrimsonDeath = 1
Vinterd = 1
Zodijackyl = 1

Congratulations gasmask_colostomy on 1st place, hells_unicorn and kluseba on 2nd place, and GOOFAM on 3rd place!

Individuals who participated for all 7 days:
gasmask_colostomy
hells_unicorn
kluseba
Tanuki
TheStormIRide

Individuals who participated for 6 days:
Abominatrix

Individuals who participated for 5 days:
GOOFAM
MDL
Spatupon

Great job, everyone! See you at the next challenge in December 2018!

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:25 am 

Wooooooo! Good job everyone. I’m happy with my results. I wanted to hit 30 but it wasn’t in the cards. Aside from having to work 16 hours one of the days and my youngest getting step throat, and travelling 10 hours for vacation on another day, I still managed a little over 20. I think we would have made Dia proud this week.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 am 

I've been AFK almost the whole last week so I only managed two, which is a huge bummer because I had a lot planned, but I'm glad to see how well everybody did. Also, I can at least take pride knowing that I tied autothrall!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:00 am 

Between my dad retiring this week and getting sick at the same time I barely got my SS out the door. Definitely wanted to do more than that but oh well.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am 

This was fun to do. I got a little bit of a burnout and things got busy in real life but I did a lot more than I thought I would.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:05 pm 

Didn't think I'd be able to participate at all so getting 4 reviews in is a good feeling, especially that Hexecutor album!

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:01 pm 

Well done, to everyone. This was great and helped me get some of my reviewing mojo back, I think. I know I'm never going to place in any of these contests without writing a whole bunch of my reviews ahead of time, because there's no way I can set down coherent thoughts about so many albums in one day. Already I get upset when I feel I'm starting to use the same phrases to describe music in too short a time. :lol: But I have to say that getting back into reviewing metal albums started out like squeezing blood from a stone, but practice does make it all flow easier. One method I found that I realised was working really well once I reviewed the Sabbat album was to set myself a timeframe by actually putting the album on again and determining to finish setting down thoughts about it by the time it finished playing. It didn't work perfectly but was a pretty nice guideline over-all.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:16 pm 

This was a great challenge and even though I wasn't so much active on it, I definitely liked it. Looking forward for the next one, good job pals \m/

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:56 pm 

Wow I lucked into 3rd because of the tie for 2nd, haha.

Was fun participating in this for the first time. Glad I helped get it over the previous one. The challenge also made me search out some new stuff which was really cool, plus I read several other masterful reviews others did. Good times all around.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:33 am 

Four may not be impressive, but it is double my total from last challenge. Plus I finally reviewed some stuff that isn't some form of thrash, covered an all-female Japanese band that isn't Yellow Machinegun and went two reviews straight without mentioning cover art. To top it off, three of the bands I reviewed had zero reviews for any of their releases.

To those who reviewed ten or more, I salute you (even if Abominatrix did nab that Sabbat album before I got to it). Good that the site makes these efforts to encourage giving attention to overlooked and obscure releases.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 am 

was a good run looking forward to the next challenge.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 pm 

I really hate that I missed this. I had one started, but writer’s block and an unusually long work week last week prevented me from committing to it. I wasn’t planning on it being that long, so I’ll finish it up before the end of the week just so I can say I completed what I started.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 pm 

Cat III wrote:
Four may not be impressive, but it is double my total from last challenge. Plus I finally reviewed some stuff that isn't some form of thrash, covered an all-female Japanese band that isn't Yellow Machinegun and went two reviews straight without mentioning cover art. To top it off, three of the bands I reviewed had zero reviews for any of their releases.

To those who reviewed ten or more, I salute you (even if Abominatrix did nab that Sabbat album before I got to it). Good that the site makes these efforts to encourage giving attention to overlooked and obscure releases.

Haha, looks like there were three of us gunning for the Sabbat album. It's also funny because there used to be a review for it up here, but the guy who wrote it took it down quite a while back because he wasn't happy with the quality of his old reviews. He was the one who told me I should review karisma, and I was totally shocked to look at the site here and find that indeed, there was nothing up there. So, no way I could resist. He suggested a bunch of other really obscure stuff that I didnt' get to during the challenge, but I may do later on anyway.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:36 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Haha, looks like there were three of us gunning for the Sabbat album. It's also funny because there used to be a review for it up here, but the guy who wrote it took it down quite a while back because he wasn't happy with the quality of his old reviews. He was the one who told me I should review karisma, and I was totally shocked to look at the site here and find that indeed, there was nothing up there. So, no way I could resist. He suggested a bunch of other really obscure stuff that I didnt' get to during the challenge, but I may do later on anyway.

I too was shocked that Sabbat would have an album untouched for so long. I'd noticed it months ago, but sat on it while I worked on other reviews. Will still get to it one day, but they have some virginal comps to cover first (I'll also get to some of their live albums and splits eventually).

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am 

televiper11 wrote:
Didn't think I'd be able to participate at all so getting 4 reviews in is a good feeling, especially that Hexecutor album!

That review was nice! I would have reviewed it if I had a bit more time haha.
Good job everyone.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4