Tomb Mold
Unanimated
Vault Dweller
Violator
Vomitory

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:35 pm 

Somehow this lineup seems simultaneously quite good and quite mediocre.

Edit: actually now that I think about it this lineup is really damn solid. It's just the only band addition that made me raise my eyebrows a bit is Skaphe, and usually MDF pulls in more deep-cut bands. I suppose the large number of cancellations may have caused them to be more cautious.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:06 pm 

Oh cool, another lineup consisting mostly of bands who already tour the US regularly.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Oh cool, another lineup consisting mostly of bands who already tour the US regularly.

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but can I ask which bands are you referring to? I only see a couple that I would consider "tour regularly" when it comes to the US.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:10 pm 

I think it’s pretty solid. Immolation, pestilence, Unanimated. See who else surfaces in the next few weeks. I can’t see any of these bands headlining except maybe immolation or pestilence so I figure they will drop a few more unknowns then get to the headliners if they want to sell early bird tickets.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:08 pm 

If I was organizing, I'd put Immolation as the Thursday Soundstage headliner like they did with Incantation this year. They're the type of good classic band to wrap up Soundstage's death metal day. DRI is probably going to be another Soundstage headliner later in the weekend, but they're a pretty solid choice. I hope Pestilence takes this chance to play a Consuming Impulse seeing as that album turns 30 next year. They still play 1-3 songs from that album according to recent setlist so it's good to see they don't totally hate their early material.

Bethlehem are either going to be amazing or suck horribly depending on what material they play and how they play it. I haven't listened to their latest album, but apparently they're back to playing black metal, so....maybe?

As for the smaller bands, I was just thinking about Tomb Mold being a good fit for Deathfest since they're kinda being talked up a lot right now with their new album and all. Them being on the actual bill took me by surprise but in a good way. And speaking of Canadian death metal, Outre-Tombe are awesome. I saw them in Montreal opening for Ulcerate's tour and I bought their CD immediately afterward, they were that good. If you haven't heard them, please fix that right now.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:38 pm 

Pretty sad to see they didn't announce Darkspace first round to make up for fucking us all this year. Yes i know not their fault and all, still whatever, partially on them. And they said they would try to book them again for 2019.

Immolation will headline soundstage for sure, probably Thursday. D.R.I. Will also headline soundstage and that will be fucking wild. Seems like a lot of safe bands so far.... hopefully 2019 isn't the year of safe bets to avoid this year's problems. Also fucking lol at Mortician being back.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am 

Mountain wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Maybe I'm out of the loop, but can I ask which bands are you referring to? I only see a couple that I would consider "tour regularly" when it comes to the US.

Immolation, Cro-Mags, DRI, Full of Hell, Brutality, Indian, Scour, Tomb Mold, off the top of my head. The Chasm has announced they will start touring again as well, so it's not exactly an exclusive date. Like others have said, they're obviously trying to be a bit safer this year so they don't have to deal with more visa issues so it's understandable. But for me I've never understood the allure of MDF since every year there are only five or so bands who would be hard to see otherwise, and at least two of those drop off in the month before the fest.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Immolation, Cro-Mags, DRI, Full of Hell, Brutality, Indian, Scour, Tomb Mold, off the top of my head. The Chasm has announced they will start touring again as well, so it's not exactly an exclusive date. Like others have said, they're obviously trying to be a bit safer this year so they don't have to deal with more visa issues so it's understandable. But for me I've never understood the allure of MDF since every year there are only five or so bands who would be hard to see otherwise, and at least two of those drop off in the month before the fest.

I'm from the northwest and some of these bands never come out here. Immolation, DRI have been out here multiple times though. I was happy to hear about Cro-Mags and Brutality on the bill as I don't recall them ever being in my region. You can't blame them for getting The Chasm, would be foolish not to in my opinion.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 pm 

The Chasm will be cool but they're also going on tour this year so it isn't a huge deal for me cause I'll catch them in like two months.

Azmodes wrote:

Necronipple
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:28 pm 

The most important thing I took from this...

THE RETURN OF FRIGHTMARE! Holy shit, that was unexpected.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:03 am 

A very strong lineup so far. Color me impressed. I just hope they announced more thrash bands this time. Hellwitch please??

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:17 am 

I'll be there this year. The initial lineup has a lot of bands that I love (Vomitory, Frightmare, Guttural Secrete, Skaphe) but for one reason or another have not been able to see live over the years. So I'm pretty stoked.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 pm 

The lineup looks so good so far (so what?). Surprised to see Vomitory on there, as I thought they had broken up, but apparently they've reunited twice in the past couple years. Seeing them would be a treat. I haven't been to MDF since 2015, and if the announcements continue to be this solid, I'll definitely consider a return trip next year.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

fyi to all of you, some of the hotels are already booking fast for next year. A bunch of friends and I already had to book because Staybridge was almost completely solid for the fest already, this was two weeks ago or so too.

Azmodes wrote:

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:17 pm 

Every year I say it's my last...but I bought a ticket and booked the hotel this morning.
It's a long weekend once a year and not too far, so the goods way outweigh the bad.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 pm 

I think I’m just going to pick the best day and venue then leave the next day. I invested too much money last year with hotel and ticket costs for two days and because of cancellations and the fest running way to long, I only got to see like three bands. I did this the first few years and it worked out pretty well. It’s hard to hang when the headliner doesn’t come on till 1230 at night. I’m no lame ass, but cone on, that’s too late for us old timers (40 plusers). Probably will be Saturday ram’s Head but hope I can do the soundstage this year as I’m totally sick of the Ram’s Head.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:35 pm 

So I wonder what bands Dark Descent will be able to get on here. Spectral Voice seem like a likely candidate, but they have several more on their roster that could show up.

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:56 pm 

My guess/hope is Skeletal Remains.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:19 pm 

Eh...we got them in 2017. I want someone new. Corpsessed would be another cool candidate. So would Ataraxy and Desolate Shrine if either of those bands actually played live, though the latter is from Finland so it can't be too hard for them to get some session musicians for a one-off live show.

EDIT: Ataraxy apparently does play live. I hope they're one of the bands they'll consider.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:17 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
So I wonder what bands Dark Descent will be able to get on here. Spectral Voice seem like a likely candidate, but they have several more on their roster that could show up.

Undergang would be awesome

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:29 pm 

Eh, Corpsessed is fairly good, but they only have one like REALLY good song. Binah has a new album coming out. It would be awesome to see them live.

EDIT: Wait I guess Binah have moved from Dark Descent to Osmose, so they wouldn't be one of DDR's emissaries

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:17 pm 

Second big lineup dump:

Cryptic Slaughter - One of only 2 US shows!
Messiah (Switzerland) - Exclusive US appearance!
Naglfar (Sweden) - Exclusive US appearance!
Carnivore A.D.
Fleshcrawl (Germany)
Disharmonic Orchestra (Austria) - Exclusive US appearance!
Devourment
Rippikoulu (Finland) - Exclusive US appearance!
Mortuary (Mexico)
Regurgitation
Obliteration (Norway) - Exclusive US appearance!
Malignancy
Dead in the Manger
TFD
Disassociate
Daeva
Drogheda
Ampallang Infection
Hell Bent
Sorrower
Beton (Slovakia)
Hard Charger (Canada)

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm 

Naglfar is about the only thing that does it for me in this round. Might be passing this year after going for the last five. No real headliners here, nothing great.

Mountain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:39 pm 

Pretty stoked on Disharmonic Orchesta, Mortuary and Fleshcrawl.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:06 pm 

Not much excites me with this latest announcement. Curious to see Dead in the Manger, other than that these all bands I either haven't heard of or don't have much interest in seeing. Of course, that leaves it open for new discoveries too, so there's always that.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:27 pm 

Yeah, there's always been a bunch of stuff I haven't heard but have time to investigate. Phrenelith this year was one of those bands and now their album from last year is one of the top missed things that would've been on my top 10 list if I heard it at the time.

Quite a few older bands that are just recently coming back on this list. Interesting to see them dig deep for stuff like this.

Fucking Rippikoulu though. :np:

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:04 pm 

praey wrote:
Not much excites me with this latest announcement. Curious to see Dead in the Manger, other than that these all bands I either haven't heard of or don't have much interest in seeing. Of course, that leaves it open for new discoveries too, so there's always that.

I saw DitM live last year at a bar not knowing anything really about them. Good band. I didn't realize until after the show that they seem to hardly ever play live shows and are very secretive.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:14 pm 

There's probably gonna be a lot of Thursday Ram's Head bands on the next announcement since Indian is the only band so far that fits in that day.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:48 am 

Is having bigger name bands such a bad thing for these guys? Course, it always seems to loose a good number of them to cancellations. They seem to be playing it safe this year. But the draw for me in the past was being able to see high profile European acts that normally don’t tour the US. I can’t justify shelling out 60 dollars a ticket to see a bunch of bands to never heard of who could be hit or miss. I know they will never bring the Edison Lot back and it’s a shame, cause this was the closest thing we had to a true European style open air metal fest in the US.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:43 am 

conquer__all wrote:
Is having bigger name bands such a bad thing for these guys? Course, it always seems to loose a good number of them to cancellations. They seem to be playing it safe this year. But the draw for me in the past was being able to see high profile European acts that normally don’t tour the US. I can’t justify shelling out 60 dollars a ticket to see a bunch of bands to never heard of who could be hit or miss. I know they will never bring the Edison Lot back and it’s a shame, cause this was the closest thing we had to a true European style open air metal fest in the US.

We had Suffocation, God Dethroned, Incantation, Defeated Sanity, Master’s Hammer, Eyehategod, Pig Destroyer, Sadistic Intent, and Misery Index. Last year, we had Morbid Angel, Vader, Candlemass and a few others. That’s about as big as it needs to be. And besides, unless you’re completely disconnected from the death metal scene, I find it hard to believe you aren’t aware of a few things on Dark Descent.
I mean, what are you looking for? Opeth? Children of Bodom? Dimmu Borgir?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:38 am 

Almost all of the bands you mentioned are from the US and/or tour here regularly, so you're kinda proving his argument.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 am 

Wilytank,

Bands I’m referring to are bands like: Ahab, Kalmah, Kampfar, Vreid, Keep of kallisen, etc. bands like Children of Bodom have no need to play this fest they tour regularly in the US.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm 

And I’d rather see Ritual Necromancy or Encoffination again than see some second rate melo-bands that feel out of place. Keep the death in Deathfest.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:15 pm 

So happy about Fleshcrawl!!! I know the first ticket I'm buying when I return from Wacken and Brutal Assault! :D

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:37 pm 

As far as keeping it death metal, I mean they do a whole night of sludge metal and usually a mostly black metal night. I prefer black metal and melo- death but that’s just me. I agree, if your going to call it Deathfest it should be more death metal oriented.
Course with me I’ve always been picky when it comes to death metal been that way since 91-92. When bands started to get too technical I lost interest, yet Gorguts is probably my favorite death metal band. I love Immolation they are probably the band that I can find no fault in. Their take on the genre has always been innovative and refreshing. I remember driving around as a teenager when Dawn of Possession came out and just being in all of what I was hearing.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 pm 

I guess pestilence will be off the bill after allegations of racism have plague yet another band trying to play the US. I had no idea of their fall tour they had planned up until now, they were one of the only bands that have kept my interest in going to the fest next year. No official word yet from the organizers.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:11 pm 

Eh, I mean it wouldn't be a huge loss. Like I said before, if they were smart, they'd do a Consuming Impulse set. If it was mixed with their pointless new stuff, I'd walk out anyway.

Meanwhile, Netherlands Deathfest is getting Intestine Baalism, Phlebotomized, and Grave Miasma. Here's hoping they get those bands stateside.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:28 pm 

I never had much of an interest in this band beyond Spheres. So a Consuming Impulse mix with some TOTA material would have exceeded my interest. If they get replaced maybe they will get some other decent old school band, Hell, I’d be up for Sinister again since they bailed in 2017 and I missed them last year.

MeavyHetal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:54 pm 

Someone asked about headliners and the MDF facebook said they haven't announced any of the Ram's Head headliners yet.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next