Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:04 am 

That's the best comparison to make. Like Rosemary's Baby, it's very well directed and acted, but the ending comes off as comical with what's been built to. I lose it when the older lady from the building sticks her tongue out at Rosemary, full on belly laughs.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:50 pm 

I'm glad I don't have your sense of humor.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm 

Seriously. The ending of Rosemary's Baby is nothing but completely fucked and deeply unsettling to me. Actually just rewatched that movie recently.

Hopefully I'll catch Hereditary soon.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:37 am 

I saw mother! the other night and...actually kind of loved it? Don't get me wrong, it's aesthetically ugly as hell, incredibly pretentious, and alternates between kind of boring to incredibly stress/dread inducing, but its the epitome of "more than the sum of its parts." I still find myself thinking about it.

Also, yes, Hereditary was incredible. Don't really understand the hate for it going full horror in the last bit there. It's not like it was random or anything. The entire movie has intense foreshadowing and brilliant small details that build on each other. I wanted the very last scene to be a lot crazier (and apparently in test screenings it was, but they changed it), but it was fine. Comparing an emotionally brutal movie like Hereditary that, if you've grown up within a toxic family, hits like a ton of bricks, to some shlocky shit like The Void, which is a fun and completely forgettable romp, is retarded on the best of days.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:56 am 

My family was toxic. I don't talk to them anymore. I still think Hereditary changing tones and relying on Halloween haunted house scares after the brilliant first half was laughable and that The Void is a better movie. Tonal consistency is important to me.

darkeningday wrote:

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:52 pm 

How does Rosemary's Baby end?

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:54 pm 

Anybody love The Omen franchise as much as me? Best horror/thriller around. Really is very good franchise especially the first film.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
How does Rosemary's Baby end?

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:53 pm 

That's missing a few parts that really hammer home the ending.
Spoiler: show
Namely Rosemary's acceptance of her role as the hellspawn's mother (which is great) and the older woman wearing glasses sticking out her tongue (which is hilarious and undercuts the moment).

darkeningday wrote:

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:05 am 

Thanks guys I never expected anyone to answer me. I appreciate that. Truly creepy smart ending.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:28 am 

The final moment of Raw Deal is bizarre

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:08 am 

There was a scene about halfway through Hereditary where I was worried: a main character witnesses a horrible sight, then wakes up, only to soon after bear witness to an even more horrific event... and then realize that that too was just a dream. It was a painfully cliche and tropey scene in what had otherwise been a daring and unique horror film up to that point. So I grit my teeth and prepared for the worst.

Not only did it not come, and kept getting better and better from that point on, the movie even managed to justify its worst scene by it adding even more terror to the terrifying finale.

Hereditary was pretty much an unqualified masterpiece.

Here's hoping they don't franchise it... that said, if any sequels are as smart and well crafted as the original film, I really wouldn't mind a "cinematic universe" of this kind of stuff.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 am 

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Hereditary was fucking masterful! Wow, I'm rattled. And who the hell couldn't love that ending?

What did you want, "it was all a dream"?

Fuck that, it was perfect.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:38 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
There was a scene about halfway through Hereditary where I was worried: a main character witnesses a horrible sight, then wakes up, only to soon after bear witness to an even more horrific event... and then realize that that too was just a dream. It was a painfully cliche and tropey scene in what had otherwise been a daring and unique horror film up to that point. So I grit my teeth and prepared for the worst.

Yeah the dream sequences at first seemed like they might be a cheap scare, but ultimately were justified by what was going on in general (premonitions of bad things to come, the malevolent influence that was affecting the mother more and more over time), and of course involved the mother confessing things to her son that she would never, ever say to him in real life.

What Heredity was so good at was weaving together the scares and development of its characters and themes...I can't say for sure without a re-watch, but there were pretty much no throw-away "oh it was just a cat" scares. Everything served a larger purpose.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Ahhhhhhhh!!!! Hereditary was fucking masterful! Wow, I'm rattled. And who the hell couldn't love that ending?

What did you want, "it was all a dream"?

Fuck that, it was perfect.

No, I wanted an ending that built upon the terror of the first half. Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but...
When a loved one dies, do you NEVER touch their belongings, even when you keep them in a box in a room you're always in? One brief fucking look through those books, which she knew she had in Act I, would have either prevented the finale or built upon it. Instead we got HEADLESS CORPSE FLOATING INTO A TREEHOUSE and HEY I CAN TELL YOU WEREN'T PAYING ATTENTION SO HERE'S EVERY REMOTELY CREEPY INDIVIDUAL YOU'VE SEEN THROUGHOUT.

The direction and cinematography are near flawless. The writing turned to Goosebumps-level stuff.

These are inherent flaws with arthouse horror. The technical aspects of the film will be great and elevate the work, but that sacrifices the writing and tension. It's a lot like Stephen King, where the tiny details and themes are amazing but the endings are usually weak and tacked on.

darkeningday wrote:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:27 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
No, I wanted an ending that built upon the terror of the first half. Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but...
When a loved one dies, do you NEVER touch their belongings, even when you keep them in a box in a room you're always in?

I mean yeah, when my grandparents died they had a whole ton of crap that just sat in their basement until my mom and her siblings finally sorted through it about 6 months later when they had to sell the house. Once you have all the family heirlooms and legal documents taken care of no one really wants to spend hours sorting through old clothes and photos of gran's 1970s trip to the bahamas, especially when there's an estranged relationship like the one in the movie.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:06 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I mean yeah, when my grandparents died they had a whole ton of crap that just sat in their basement until my mom and her siblings finally sorted through it about 6 months later when they had to sell the house. Once you have all the family heirlooms and legal documents taken care of no one really wants to spend hours sorting through old clothes and photos of gran's 1970s trip to the bahamas, especially when there's an estranged relationship like the one in the movie.

I guess I'm the odd one since I went through my mother's stuff as soon as I could.

Regardless of personal grieving processes, it's still weak since she starts going through it, reads a cryptic note, the ignores it all until just before the ending. There was little build toward the cult aspect, making it feel tacked on and Shyamalan-esque. At least Rosemary's Baby stuck with one theme before the hilarious overacting at the finale.

darkeningday wrote:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:49 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
What Heredity was so good at was weaving together the scares and development of its characters and themes...I can't say for sure without a re-watch, but there were pretty much no throw-away "oh it was just a cat" scares. Everything served a larger purpose.

Definitely. All of the foreshadowing and imagery was dense but it all served a purpose other than just being creepy for its own sake. I was thinking about the movie a lot afterwards and talking about it with my girlfriend (who loved it as well, and isn't as much of a horror buff as I am) and there were so many "ah hah!" moments in terms of things I found kind of confusing during the movie, but made perfect sense after it was finished. I already can't wait to see it again.

acid_bukkake wrote:
There was little build toward the cult aspect, making it feel tacked on and Shyamalan-esque. At least Rosemary's Baby stuck with one theme before the hilarious overacting at the finale.

Um... no. The evidence was everywhere to suggest that cult activity was behind all of the supernatural things going on. I didn't know anything about the story of the movie before going in (didn't even watch a trailer) but I thought it was perfectly obvious the grandmother was a matriarch cult leader who had set these things in motion with her followers before dying long before the "tacked on" ending.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:53 pm 

A full hour of the film was cut out at the behest of the studio (removing around 30 scenes) and director Ari Aster says we'll probably never see that footage. So I guess you'll never know for sure if your perfect non-Goosebumps version of the film ever did exist at one point.

But like FSM said, everything just slid into place, at least for me. I don't think I'd even want to see the 3 hour cut.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:57 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
A full hour of the film was cut out at the behest of the studio (removing around 30 scenes) and director Ari Aster says we'll probably never see that footage. So I guess you'll never know for sure if your perfect non-Goosebumps version of the film ever did exist at one point.

But like FSM said, everything just slid into place, at least for me. I don't think I'd even want to see the 3 hour cut.

I read about that, and yeah, I'm not sure if another hour would make it better. Part of what I loved about the movie was how the pace accelerated so steadily from the very beginning until the last 20 minutes or so were just unbearably relentless. It'd be a lot harder to maintain that kind of tension with such a long run-time. We'll probably get at least a handful of deleted scenes in the physical release.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:22 pm 

Yeah, studios don't like long movies not only because they don't test as well, but because it limits the number of showings for the film, thus cutting into their profits. Typically, concerns about pacing and rising action and payoff timing are as far from the minds of studio execs as humanly possible, but this may be one of those rare instances where the broken clock hit the right time down to the millisecond.

Also, describing any part of the ending to Hereditary as "Shamalyan-esque" made me physically ill. C'mon Acid, there's no need to bring up the cinematic Godwin THIS early in the discussion.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm 

Shyamalan movies have good twists, but they're good twists used poorly and without much justification from the rest of the film. "He was dead all along!" and "It's actually modern times!" are excellent betrayals of expectation that I wish more movies would play with, but Shyamalan's biggest weakness is the fact that he can't create a delivery system for those twists to save his life.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:36 pm 

Ready Player One- going to have to watch it in 4k and parts in 3d as it was amazing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:45 am 

Isle of Dogs rules. Caught it at a discount theater late-showing tonight. We were literally the only 2 people in the seats which made it feel even more personal.

I loved the whole thing. It felt like a young adult adventure for adults. The music was perfect. Voice acting was glittery with emotional weight the entire distance.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:03 am 

Any of you guys seen The Puppet Masters from 1994 with Donnie Sutherland? Feels like if Cronenberg made a thriller based on the Heinlein novel of the same name, but then a bunch of suits forced a ton of changes at the last minute to appeal to target audiences. There are moments of pot-boiling body horror excellence juxtaposed against absolute lowest common denominator shootouts and a horrible romance subplot that makes no sense.

If you love the shit out of practical FX of gooey alien body horror done with the same quality as in Alien or The Fly like I do, the film is definitely recommended. If you're looking for the spiritual successor of the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers we never got, you're going to be disappointed.

Let me put it like this: it's an awesome movie to watch at 2 in the morning while you're winding down from all of the heavy drinking you did earlier. I'm surprised this film isn't more well known; better than a lot of what passes for cult hits from that era.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:43 am 

It suffers from feeling like a TV movie, but I'm actually struggling right now to think of a cult favorite from the early/mid 90s that wasn't very tongue in cheek.

darkeningday wrote:

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 am 

Saw Upgrade earlier. Really fun, especially considering it was only $3.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:16 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
It suffers from feeling like a TV movie, but I'm actually struggling right now to think of a cult favorite from the early/mid 90s that wasn't very tongue in cheek.

The budget was definitely Feature Film, it was bankrolled by fucking Disney of all people. But it definitely FELT like an early 90's Sharknado a lot of the time.

awesome, awesome, awesome special effects though.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:40 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:

How do I also see this for $3?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 pm 

Re: Hereditary
I can understand where acid_bukkake is coming from regarding the horror bits, they're undeniably cheesy at times. In this respect it reminds me a lot of The Wailing; some parts I couldn't help but giggle at, and it makes for somewhat jarring changes of tone. Personally, though, that kind of stuff doesn't ruin anything for me, in fact it enhances the disorientating feel of the whole thing. I loved the movie, and if I had to be boring and compare it to other films, I would describe it as a mix of
Kill List
, The Wailing and Rosemary's Baby.

EDIT: One thing that did go a little too far in its cheesiness though was the scene where
Annie becomes possessed after burning her husband.
It really didn't need such a sudden change of expression.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

How do I also see this for $3?

I saw it at a second run theater, which could use an upgrade, but the price makes up for it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:58 pm 

Rampage...really fun. Will watch again when the 4k version comes out.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:40 pm 

Teaching Mrs. Tingle - Kevin Williamson's only directing credit. Three high school seniors get blamed for a cheating scandal that was really only the fault of one of them, and their attempt to fix things escalates to taking their teacher hostage. The first 40 - 45 minutes were adequate, then it lost me in the second half. The teacher fights back in the most predictable way, and the ending relied too much on coincidence.

The Disaster Artist - The trailers were amusing, but I wasn't sure if watching James Franco do a 100 minute Tommy Wiseau impression would work as a movie. Somehow, it did. It helped that I had already seen The Room, although people who haven't could probably still appreciate this.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:56 am 

Just came out of The Incredibles 2. Really, really good! Highly recommend.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:02 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Any of you guys seen The Puppet Masters from 1994 with Donnie Sutherland? Feels like if Cronenberg made a thriller based on the Heinlein novel of the same name, but then a bunch of suits forced a ton of changes at the last minute to appeal to target audiences. There are moments of pot-boiling body horror excellence juxtaposed against absolute lowest common denominator shootouts and a horrible romance subplot that makes no sense.

If you love the shit out of practical FX of gooey alien body horror done with the same quality as in Alien or The Fly like I do, the film is definitely recommended. If you're looking for the spiritual successor of the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers we never got, you're going to be disappointed.

Let me put it like this: it's an awesome movie to watch at 2 in the morning while you're winding down from all of the heavy drinking you did earlier. I'm surprised this film isn't more well known; better than a lot of what passes for cult hits from that era.

Puppet Masters isn't bad. Over the years, I went from having tons of DVDs to gradually selling off my collection to only stuff I really want. Puppet Masters is one that I kept, despite its flaws. It has it's moments, but it also has it's flaws, and like Acid_Bukkake said, it has a bit of a feel of a TV movie. I could never quite put my finger on how that movie feels overall, but this is pretty spot-on. Like a good TV movie (which have really improved in quality in recent years) or something straight-to-video.

The big flaw, though, is Donald Sutherland's appearance in the film (bear with me, because I know he makes everything better by being in it) as it just reminds one of Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978), which is a film with a similar premise, but vastly superior. I haven't watched the film in a while, and it was a pretty light R rating, so it might be one of the movies I pick for October horrorthon with my son this year. As I recall when I first saw it as a teenager, even then I felt the ending wrapped up a bit conveniently.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:06 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
My family was toxic. I don't talk to them anymore. I still think Hereditary changing tones and relying on Halloween haunted house scares after the brilliant first half was laughable and that The Void is a better movie. Tonal consistency is important to me.

I haven't seen Hereditary yet (I really only just heard of it), but The Void (2016) was fucking masterful. It's only flaw, as far as I'm concerned, is that the big bad's monologue could've been a bit shorter.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:32 pm 

Sicario 2 was a weaker film than the first. Everything it did was just lesser. The story was more conventional, the morals more streamlined, the characters less interesting. Way too long and with too many dull stretches. I could kind of see what it was trying to be but compared to the pitch black dirge of the first film, this just came off dull and average.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:27 am 

Finally saw the new Jurassic World movie. The 2015 one was total garbage, personally, so it wasn't hard for this one to be better. I still felt like there could've been some improvements in the story but overall I left the theatre entertained. I'm hoping that they continue the upward slope of the franchise.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:17 am 

Everything about the new Jurassic Park movies screams half-assed to me even without seeing them. They even half-assed the SyFy-quality premise of the never-filmed Jurassic Park 4, which was basically going to be "Pirate Raptors Steal Boats and Shoot Guns: The Movie." Which would have been a much more entertaining premise.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:02 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

I haven't seen Hereditary yet (I really only just heard of it), but The Void (2016) was fucking masterful. It's only flaw, as far as I'm concerned, is that the big bad's monologue could've been a bit shorter.

The Void was filmed one block away from where I grew up, and one of my best friends is in the film, and yet, I still haven't seen it!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 705, 706, 707, 708, 709, 710, 711 ... 818  Next