Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:32 pm 

Yeah man, the Illegal Bodies kids are obviously devotees of all the best shit. I dig the tunes a lot. Still think they blew the aesthetics/packaging though. It looks/sounds like a bad grindcore album.

That Aragorn album would be an underground legend if it got pressed in the early 80s.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:49 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Yeah man, the Illegal Bodies kids are obviously devotees of all the best shit. I dig the tunes a lot. Still think they blew the aesthetics/packaging though. It looks/sounds like a bad grindcore album.

That Aragorn album would be an underground legend if it got pressed in the early 80s.

Yep, totally agree with everything you wrote.

That Illegal Bodies album was first released in 2011 and nothing from them since. I see Mark Nicholson wrote everything and performed all the instrumentation on "Mindflayers". That guys got major talent and it seems strange to hear nothing else from him at least.

As for Aragorn, I'm hoping Dissonance will reissue "Noonday - The Aragorn Anthology". They've reissued a fair few of the Sanctuary/Neat NWOBHM releases recently.

PhantomGreen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:17 pm 

Opus wrote:
You haven't missed Cromonic, Freternia singers new band? Good stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnf-_ISiSog

I really like this, thanks!

mea navis aëricumbens anguillis abundat

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:32 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

Would it really? Don't get me wrong, 'Black Ice' is a fucking great song but other than that they're a one-hit wonder NWOBHM band. They'd be like Dark Star - a full album with only one good track. Admittedly their sole hits are fucking brilliant but that's it. They could tour with Dark Star and play 'Black Ice' followed by 'Lady of Mars' and then Aragorn could cover 'Black Ice' and vice versa.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:43 am 

It's way better than the Dark Star album. So much faster.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:25 pm 

The Refuge album is sounding pretty legit to the classic Rage sound on first impression. I think the songs could have largely been shortened a minute or so though.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:42 pm 

The most surprising thing about Refuge is that the production sounds like classic Rage, too. It sounds very, very similar to, say, Trapped!. I'm impressed with that. I would have been very easy for them to say "Hey, let's buy the newest Engl amp and get Charlie Bauerfeind to overpolish it". I guess it shows nice attention to detail that they get the classic sound for classic era fans.

I'm listening to Defender (Nld) for the first time and the singer has some Dane-isms to his voice. Cool stuff.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:24 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I'm listening to Defender (Nld) for the first time and the singer has some Dane-isms to his voice. Cool stuff.

Been a fan of Defender for quite a while. I really wish they would have finished recording that previously unreleased material.

Jonpo wrote:
Agreed! Blaze had a special touch. I think it's the way they channel those 70s Scorpions moments. Have you heard their EP The Rock Dinosaur? It's more of the same killer stuff. I think the songs stand up to the debut.

I've been meaning to get around to that one for ages! Maybe tonight is the night.

WatchTower1977
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:18 pm 

Coming soon on tape format.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 pm 

Artch's Another Return is such a great album, reminds me of a more mid-paced and muscly Tension, or some Vicious Rumors material.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 am 

Plus 'Power to the Man' is pure comedy gold. "Johnny, a glass of whiskey, please".

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:49 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Artch's Another Return is such a great album, reminds me of a more mid-paced and muscly Tension, or some Vicious Rumors material.

Love that album! To me it sounds like early Metal Church with Bruce Dickenson on vocals.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 am 

Love it too, a real gem of the era. It was received very well at the time of its release but the band took too long to release their second album, which was not that good and the world had moved on, so they lost all the momentum they had.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm 

I've always wanted to like that album a lot more. I really like Eric Hawk as a vocalist, but aside from the awesome "title" track and maybe Living in the Past, most of the album just doesn't do a lot for me. Feels very "Been there, done that."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 am 

That first album is cool as fuck, though. It's like a more Armored Saint with a big, booming production.

Anyway, what are you lots' thoughts on Pharaoh? I just got into their Bury the Light album and I really dig it. I heard their 2008 album when it came out and didn't like it much but it seems like their other albums are very well-regarded. What I like about Bury the Light is its muscular heroism; it's like classic Omen in modern power/prog clothing (the vocalist even has his JD Kimballisms down).

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:42 pm 

the longest night is the best pharaoh album by far but bury the light is their 2nd best.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:04 pm 

I don't like Bury the Light much at all - it's too "clever" for its own good; lots of unnecessary prog-isms and the songs are all way too long.

The Longest Night is a truly fantastic album, though. I'd actually peg their debut as their second-best; it's a bit rougher and less-developed but catchy and satisfying throughout. Never, Not Again is a particular favorite - really great track, dead simple in construction but it all just flows and builds so well.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:59 pm 

"By the Night Sky" is far and away the best song Pharaoh has ever and probably will ever write. They're very hit-or-miss, but when they're on, they're fucking ON.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:13 pm 

Bury the Light is by far their best IMO. Seems to me like they finally had the musicianship and production to execute the kind of sound they had been building toward since the debut. When I think Pharaoh, I picture an attempt at more ornate songwriting and melodies that had potential but was kind of missing the mark until Bury the Light.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:17 pm 

They get better every album. Be Gone and Bury the Light are the ones I play the most really. Should probably go back to Longest Night sometime, that one's also good... more traditional and less dizzying than the later two though. They make for such great summer listening though. I dunno why - just something so fitting about them.

They finally have a new one coming out soon. Hoping for a fall 2018 release.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:33 pm 

I like all of their albums to varying degrees, but The Longest Night is probably my favorite, with Be Gone close behind. Even the debut, with it's (relatively) less polished songwriting, has some gorgeous vocal melodies.

I'm a little late to the party, but this Vultures Vengeance EP from 2016 is good stuff. Really interested to hear where they go from here!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:19 pm 

Alright I need to make a confession. I have committed a metal sin. I've been listening to metal for 16 years and just discovered Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I need more recommendations similar to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I would also like recommendations for heavy and speed metal (they can be technical). No power metal albums please.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:08 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
No power metal albums please.

So you are gonna keep sinning? No absolution for you!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:20 pm 

Opus wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
No power metal albums please.

So you are gonna keep sinning? No absolution for you!

Haha..alright what are some of the best power metal albums? Something similar to Judas Priest or Iron Maiden of course.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Haha..alright what are some of the best power metal albums? Something similar to Judas Priest or Iron Maiden of course.

These should get you started:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:00 pm 

https://oldmotherhell.bandcamp.com/releases

This is pretty cool. Nice chunky, heavy riffs and good, fun writing. Lot of potential.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:15 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Your mileage may vary, but here are some bands I think you might dig:

Mary's Blood are an excellent power metal band that wear their 80s heavy metal influences on their sleeves. /commence shillingprotocol.exe

Triosphere are also another excellent power metal group you might enjoy.

Lovebites are a mix between 80s heavy metal and 90s Euro-power, so it's worth a look at least.

Satan's Host are an obvious choice if you're looking for a bit of darker power metal.

Running Wild are an obvious choice for classic power metal.

Imagika play some heavy power/thrash metal that might interest you.

Metal Church blend heavy and power metal in delicious harmony.

Iron Savior practically worship at the altar of Judas Priest, so they should be worth taking a look at.

Falconer are an excellent folk-tinged power metal band, probably the best of their kind.

And that'll do for now.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This is pretty cool. Nice chunky, heavy riffs and good, fun writing. Lot of potential.

Oh yeah, this is some solid stuff! Vocalist reminds me a whole lot of Piet Sielck, but maybe a bit more dynamic and varied.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:32 am 

Huh I didn't catch the Piet Sielck thing, interesting. They're really quite raw and stripped down but the music is super competent, which is cool. I dig how they can have these tempo changes from a slow, doomy crunch to faster, rocking stuff very fluidly.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:22 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

This is awesome stuff. First impressions reminded me of Rev Bizzarre at their most rockingist and strangely WASP. A nice mix of trad and doom with a good dose of rock. A very cool raw but not too raw production. I'll be getting this.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:32 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

All European power metal are direct descendants of Priest, Maiden, and Rainbow.

Here's Edguy in Priest mode:

One of the German originators, Scanner:

Swedish power metal from the classic turn of the century era:

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:51 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Alright I need to make a confession. I have committed a metal sin. I've been listening to metal for 16 years and just discovered Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I need more recommendations similar to Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. I would also like recommendations for heavy and speed metal (they can be technical). No power metal albums please.

Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Satan - Court in the Act
Grave Digger - Heavy Metal Breakdown
Running Wild - Gates to Purgatory ~ Branded and Exiled
Iced Earth - Iced Earth ~ Night of the Stormrider ~ Burnt Offerings
Accept - Restless and Wild

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:38 pm 

This band Necrytis is plenty good... I'm sure someone's mentioned it before as it's a Toby Knapp project. I'm getting some real Helstar or older weird 80s metal vibes here. Just pulpy fun with some wild guitar acrobatics and warbly space-man vocals. Seems a bit loose writing-wise, but in a fun way.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 am 

First impressions: new Heir Apparent sounds like Dream Theater when they were good.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:55 pm 

Since I was a big fan of Rhapsody (Sometimes "Of Fire!") for a long time, I decided to check out Legendary Years, which consists entirely of re-recordings of their old material, but without Fabio Lione on vocals. Some of the old tunes sound really nice with updated production, but Giacomo Voli just isn't a good substitute for the somewhat idiosyncratic Lione.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:21 pm 

A local Philadelphia band, Crazy Bull, just released their first full-length today. If you like 70s hard rock/proto-metal, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Very solid stuff.

https://crazybull.bandcamp.com/

failsafeman wrote:
First impressions: new Heir Apparent sounds like Dream Theater when they were good.

Did you get to hear more than just the 30 second clips on iTunes (or that one short promo vid on youtube)? I'm never able to make much of those, myself. It sounded promising, but still way too little material to really tell.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:24 pm 

Nah, just the clips. We'll have to wait until it's out for more, I guess.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:35 am 

I can't wait for that new Heir Apparent album. Long overdue! They've had like 12 vocalists, right???

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:24 pm 

So lately I've been listening to some different bands: Buffalo, an early heavy metal band with a great rough sounding vocalist, as well as well Night Sun that blew me away with their opening track on their only album. Behold! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRnp1y6a_zs

I've also checked Dark Quarterer's second album. I wasn't too fond of their debut earlier on, but this second album sounds rather interesting.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:46 pm 

Trying to keep my expectations in check for the new Heir Apparent. The clips on itunes sound pretty solid, though.

Dark Quarterer's second album is fantastic. I would pick it over the debut to introduce someone to them.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 575, 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581 ... 624  Next