* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 pm 

Per Alex Marquez on Facebook:

Quote:
Completly floored and destroyed. Words cannot express how I felt about this truly incredible man. Always had something positive to encourage me. His legacy and him with live in my heart forever. This hits as it should because he was my brother!

My last memory of him is hopping on stage with Resthaven to sing kiss' Parasite with him but the memories are so many more.
Love you man and you'll always be in my heart.

These are times when one realizes that all the drama and bullshit doesn't matter one bit!

We lost a great one

R.I.P BRET

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:55 pm 

Such a goddamn shame, one of my favorite vocalists ever...I can hardly believe he's gone.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:04 pm 

RIP

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 pm 

Always enjoyed his output! RIP.

Anyone know what happened?

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:44 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:

I believe he was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer earlier this year, which has a very low survival rate.

Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:50 pm 

Fuck cancer.

Retribution remains in my top 5 DM releases ever.

RIP Brett.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:04 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:

I believe he was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer earlier this year, which has a very low survival rate.

Damn! That sucks...

As the poster above me said, fuck cancer.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:57 pm 

Damn, no...Brett was one of the most distinct and powerful vocalists in death metal. Incidentally, I've been listening to older MC releases a lot these past few weeks. I hope that at this point everyone who's equally fond of his vocal abilities knows about Silent Death's "Stone cold" Mini CD; they were a Swiss band who hired Brett to sing on that release.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:27 pm 

For my money, he was the most aggressive sounding death metal vocalist there ever was. His voice was like that of a psychotic serial killer on a frenzy. This is a major loss. RIP, Brett.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:19 pm 

Jesus fucking christ, how many more prominent metal artists going to die this year? This is really just getting depressing as shit (not that it wasn't already)

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:57 pm 

Jester66 wrote:
Fuck cancer.

Retribution remains in my top 5 DM releases ever.

RIP Brett.

Yep, that and the debut are something else... major loss. RIP.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:38 pm 

Ow man, this really sucks... I didn't manage to see MC live yet, and then I heard he was out of the band and then I also heard about the cancer.... Double fuck... :(

RIP mr Hoffman and lots of strength wished to his family and friends :(

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 pm 

Damn shame. I'll spin Retribution a couple of times today, fucking fantastic album.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:03 pm 

Shit news.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:40 pm 

Just.... fuck.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:12 am 

Unfortunately I have not listened to Malevolent as much as I should in the past but it always sucks to lose a metal brother, especially a member of the old guard. I will go spin Retribution now, R.I.P. man

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 am 

I'm more angry than grieving right now. I can't stand losing loved ones and cherished artists to fucking cancer anymore. Fuck it all to hell.

R.I.P. Bret, and thank you for the great music. Your commanding roars on The Ten Commandments remain some of my favorite harsh vocals ever recorded.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:22 am 

I just listened to Retribution tonight on my way to work for the first time in a while. So fucking eerie! RIP dude, you had some fine vocals.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 am 

Simply the best american death metal singer ever. I'm in mourning, this is so unjust

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 am 

I never saw him with Malevolent (still kicking myself for missing that Exodus/Malevolent/BBB/Holy Grail tour in 2010), but I saw him last year with Resthaven and that was an awesome set. I didn't know he could do non-death metal vocals; obviously not as great as the bands he was covering, but still impressive nonetheless.

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:29 am 

I have had the pleasure to see them live several times instead, last one in Milan in 2011, but 5 times more at least before the latter... He always spent some times with us after the concert (Phil too, of course), I've had the pleasure to share good drinks and times with Brett and MC's fantastic music. 'Tis a terrible loss, fuck it. He was a great dude, the world is very poorer since now

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:16 pm 

MC was first death metal band which I heard. Envenomed in my opinion is one of the best death metal albums. Brett has an original voice and always showed monumental stage performance. Big loss for all metal community...

zera_p
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:56 pm 

All hail 'Retribution'! Such an incredible, pioneering death metal masterpiece unlike any other, Mr. Hoffman had much to do with that fact, thanks to his incredible vocal skills.

des91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:11 pm 

RIP Brett, your vocals were fucking amazing. :metal:

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 pm 

This is quite the bummer. Their first two albums are hard to beat, and I always felt that the savagery of Hoffman's delivery was one of the defining characteristics of those aforementioned releases. Was never really able to get into the other albums Malevolent Creation put out with Hoffman (or the ones without him for that matter) but maybe I ought to revisit them just in case.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:47 pm 

I thought the last one 'Dead Man's Path' was excellent, I like it way more than Invidious Dominion and Doomsday X, it's possibly their best effort since Retribution. Definitely check that one out!

SoBelow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:00 pm 

Another great one gone. One of my top 10 vocalists of all time. R.I.P. brother.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 pm 

There's not much more I can add to the conversation that will pay him proper tribute and respect, but I'll try anyway.

Death metal vocalists are, have been, and will always be at their best when they have a unique delivery, cadence, timbre, and tone and/or genuine sincerity and conviction behind their lyrics and performances. He had all the aforementioned in spades and more to spare. Simply put, the man wrote lyrics about topics and subject matter that legitimately pissed him off or allowed him to inhabit a deranged narrator and that came through in every song so he could maximize his abilities to the fullest. There's no such thing as a mailed in or half-assed Brett Hoffman effort. It simply doesn't exist.

He lived for this music and the people that have allowed it to still thrive today. He was given a death sentence and still said fuck you, I'm not done yet. A lot could learn from him as a frontman and a genre pillar, myself included especially regarding personal health and wellbeing in the years to come. That aspect will not go unnoticed for me, and shouldn't for all of us.

He is to be honored and celebrated as a part of being mourned. Thanks for everything, man.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Last edited by ModusOperandi on Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hemispheres
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 pm 

RIP ... loved the first two Malevolent Creation records...I remember not being too fond of doomsday X but I'll take another listen to their last 3 as well as the other ones he was on. I remember not being too into them but whatever. He deserves a chance...RIP
Reading his books is just exhausting. Detailed descriptions can be great, but in Lord of the Rings when Tolkien takes up an entire page to tell you exactly how a tree looks... just get on with it Tolkien, you sociopath.

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:49 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
He was given a death sentence and still said fuck you, I'm not done yet..

He had such a positive, strong attitude in light of that diagnosis. I was sure he was going to beat it based on that alone, but sadly that didn't come to be. He came across as someone who truly loved life, and I'm sure his final months weren't sad or drab, but uplifted and powerful. All of us hope to leave our mark in something, and we can only hope to be as fortunate as Bret was. Hell of a legacy.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:53 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Death metal vocalists are, have been, and will always be at their best when they have a unique delivery, cadence, timbre, and tone and/or genuine sincerity and conviction behind their lyrics and performances. He had all the aforementioned in spades and more to spare. Simply put, the man wrote lyrics about topics and subject matter that legitimately pissed him off or allowed him to inhabit a deranged narrator and that came through in every song so he could maximize his abilities to the fullest. There's no such thing as a mailed in or half-assed Brett Hoffman effort. It simply doesn't exist.

Agreed 10,000%. The sheer passion and conviction of his vocal delivery was always what blew me away - the man sounded absolutely vicious and fucking bloodthirsty on those early albums, one of my favorite moments in any death metal song is in "Slaughter of Innocence" where the breakdown hits and he growls "DIE!!!!!! MOTHER!!!!!! FUCKER!!!!!!!!!" from the very core of his soul. Beyond that, I also always loved his lyrics - very direct & punchy but there's a sort of "badass" quality that was very unique like these small snippets:

"Flowing red, taints all souls the color of death. Innocence, a word only whispered under breath."
"Malevolent hatred of life, seeing death fall from the sky. Resisting the view from my eyes, Receiving pleasure from watching you die."

Also, I want to nudge in here a bit and say that while yes, the first two albums are fantastic masterpieces, I think Envenomed is right up there as one of the best Malevolent Creation albums ever, just a fantastic album front-to-back. I also have a guilty pleasure for Stillborn, if you can get past the production & vocal issues, it's packed with some fantastic riffs.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:03 pm 

Fantastic guy and a fantastic vocalist. Old Malevolent Creation is the best, and he was the x factor in their drive. RIP.

Obligatory Last FM Link

KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:06 pm 

true_death wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

Agreed 10,000%. The sheer passion and conviction of his vocal delivery was always what blew me away - the man sounded absolutely vicious and fucking bloodthirsty on those early albums, one of my favorite moments in any death metal song is in "Slaughter of Innocence" where the breakdown hits and he growls "DIE!!!!!! MOTHER!!!!!! FUCKER!!!!!!!!!" from the very core of his soul. Beyond that, I also always loved his lyrics - very direct & punchy but there's a sort of "badass" quality that was very unique like these small snippets:

"Flowing red, taints all souls the color of death. Innocence, a word only whispered under breath."
"Malevolent hatred of life, seeing death fall from the sky. Resisting the view from my eyes, Receiving pleasure from watching you die."

Also, I want to nudge in here a bit and say that while yes, the first two albums are fantastic masterpieces, I think Envenomed is right up there as one of the best Malevolent Creation albums ever, just a fantastic album front-to-back. I also have a guilty pleasure for Stillborn, if you can get past the production & vocal issues, it's packed with some fantastic riffs.

Nobody in the genre could quite write lyrics about murder as well as Bret could. He set the standard for brutal lyricism.

"Live to die unsatisfied
Reality now ratified
Body heaves hitting the ground
Blood-soaked thud, slashing sound
Raise your hands, reaching high
All in vain, unmerciful sky
Gurgle of air leaving your lungs
Choking for life
Brain is now numb."

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:00 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
I thought the last one 'Dead Man's Path' was excellent, I like it way more than Invidious Dominion and Doomsday X, it's possibly their best effort since Retribution. Definitely check that one out!

Agreed. I hadn't listened to it until only last year, but it's vicious.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:45 am 

So sad

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:08 pm 

I never listened to this band much at all, I had one of their albums a long time ago, but that was about it. Currently listening to the final album and it's really badass.

Reply to topic