Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:41 pm 

I don't know who here recommended Creature - Der Ursprung, but HOLY SHIT!!!I finally found an album with a similar sound and feel to one of my fav bm releases ever, Enthroned - Pagan Prophecies of Fire! Are all their albums this good, or just this release?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:11 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
A good black metal starter pack would include The True Werwolf, Tjolgtjar, and Zarach 'Baal' Tharagh.

Boring joke.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:09 pm 

Hey lads,

Trying to remember an album that was on the old Atmospheric Black Metal Promotions channel that went down a month or two ago. It was black/doom metal with a strong atmospheric bm influence.

The album art was of some old Moai-looking statues in a windy grass field. I can't really remember much else about it sadly. Any help on identifying the album would be really appreciated.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 am 

Looking for an (industrial?) BM album. I'm pretty sure I remember it having a planet or something to that affect on the front. It also has/had a pretty high rating here on the site. Thanks to those help.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:48 am 

Mysticum's Planet Satan maybe?
...Questionable title aside It's worth checking out even if it's not the correct one :lol:

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:26 am 

quickbeam wrote:
So today I was yet again floored by the majesty of Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta II: Dialogue with the Stars. I know a lot of black metal which is beautifully melancholic, but this album doesn't even need much sadness to get its beauty across. It just gets across sheer wonder at the universe, and is obviously packed full of fantastic and interesting guitar work.

Hope that makes sense! Any other albums remind you of this masterpiece? (Yes, I have part III too!)

Midnight Odyssey's Funerals From the Astral Sphere does in some way but there's nothing like that BAN album!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:54 am 

Spectral Lore's III it's also a great album to check, pure beauty with fairly advanced playing

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:16 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Hey lads,

Trying to remember an album that was on the old Atmospheric Black Metal Promotions channel that went down a month or two ago. It was black/doom metal with a strong atmospheric bm influence.

The album art was of some old Moai-looking statues in a windy grass field. I can't really remember much else about it sadly. Any help on identifying the album would be really appreciated.

Would it be Darkestrah's 'Sary Oy' by ant chance? What you describe is so familiar....

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... y_Oy/35144

If not I am sure I shared this on my page but can not just put my finger on it!

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:12 pm 

That's not it sadly but I'll check it out anyway! Much appreciated.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:26 pm 

Anyone got any more old school black metal bands that i should know about? I already know of 1349, Tsjuder, Enthroned, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Infernal War, etc all bands like that. Just after some that I may not have heard of. name as many as possible please :)

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:40 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Anyone got any more old school black metal bands that i should know about? I already know of 1349, Tsjuder, Enthroned, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Infernal War, etc all bands like that. Just after some that I may not have heard of. name as many as possible please :)

It sounds like you want second-wave black metal bands with plenty of fast songs?

Avslut - Deceptis
Old Wainds - Nordraum
Nordvrede - Confrontation
Wulkanaz - Paralys
Malum - discography
Nordjevel - Nordjevel
Death Fortress - Triumph of the Undying
Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence
Uranium 235 - Total Extermination
White Death - White Death
Midvinter - At the Sign of the Apocalypse Dragon
Slidhr - Deluge
InThyFlesh - The Flaming Death
Nocturnal Triumph - Into Light's Graven Womb
Isenblast - Screams in Cold Silence
Vimur - Traversing the Ethereal Current
Every band signed to Terratur Possessions records
Sheidim - Shrines of the Void
Eternal Alchemist - Invocation of the Black Flame
Ascension - Under Ether
Kuilu - Monumentti
Grimfaug/Onirik - MMXIV-MMXVI
Arkhaeon - Beyond
Horna - discography
Sargiest - discography
Mortis Mutilati - The Stench of Death
Ulvegr - Vargkult
Funeral Serpent - For I, The Misanthropist
Nidsang - The Mark of Death and Into the Womb of Dissolving Flames

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:52 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
mike_87 wrote:

It sounds like you want second-wave black metal bands with plenty of fast songs?

Avslut - Deceptis
Old Wainds - Nordraum
Nordvrede - Confrontation
Wulkanaz - Paralys
Malum - discography
Nordjevel - Nordjevel
Death Fortress - Triumph of the Undying
Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence
Uranium 235 - Total Extermination
White Death - White Death
Midvinter - At the Sign of the Apocalypse Dragon
Slidhr - Deluge
InThyFlesh - The Flaming Death
Nocturnal Triumph - Into Light's Graven Womb
Isenblast - Screams in Cold Silence
Vimur - Traversing the Ethereal Current
Every band signed to Terratur Possessions records
Sheidim - Shrines of the Void
Eternal Alchemist - Invocation of the Black Flame
Ascension - Under Ether
Kuilu - Monumentti
Grimfaug/Onirik - MMXIV-MMXVI
Arkhaeon - Beyond
Horna - discography
Sargiest - discography
Mortis Mutilati - The Stench of Death
Ulvegr - Vargkult
Funeral Serpent - For I, The Misanthropist
Nidsang - The Mark of Death and Into the Womb of Dissolving Flames

thanks for your help there, yeah that is the sound im looking for , theres a few i havent heard, preferably bands with a few albums out too, i notice youve recommended just one album by many of those bands, I already know Sargeist, and Nordjevel, the rest not very familiar

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:04 pm 

No problem dude. Yeah, I didn't mean to imply the other releases by those bands weren't good. It's just that I've only listened to one or two albums from a lot of those bands (and a lot of them only have one or two albums anyway), so I recommended my favorite one and/or the one that best fits what you're looking for from the ones I've heard.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:26 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
No problem dude. Yeah, I didn't mean to imply the other releases by those bands weren't good. It's just that I've only listened to one or two albums from a lot of those bands (and a lot of them only have one or two albums anyway), so I recommended my favorite one and/or the one that best fits what you're looking for from the ones I've heard.

Please send more lol, or someone else, its so hard to find new and worthwhile bm bands these days that play it really well. I know a few off that label too like Truppensturm, Antaeus, etc.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:47 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Please send more lol, or someone else, its so hard to find new and worthwhile bm bands these days that play it really well. I know a few off that label too like Truppensturm, Antaeus, etc.

More? People are sending you loads.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:46 am 

More? People are sending you loads.[/quote]

I know, and i appreciate it, but some of those only have one or 2 albums and others seem a little togh for me to get into.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:11 am 

mike_87 wrote:
I know, and i appreciate it, but some of those only have one or 2 albums and others seem a little togh for me to get into.

I'd suggest just to give albums a listen. Pick an album that you like and browse the recommended albums/bands at Youtube. That, or similar artists at Last.FM.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:35 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Nephenzy Chaos Order
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEf2j8NQE1c

quite recently discovered this despite being some 15 years old

it's the band only LP, they disbanded a few years after, but damn is it good stuff, you might want to give it a try, it has similarities with all the bands you listened in the 1st post

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 am 

Hello,

I'm into really obscure black metal. I know a lot of black metal bands, and I'm looking for raw, yet atmospheric, melodic black metal. With melodic, I'm not referring to the theatrical kind, but the more ominous/eerie or atmospheric melodies.

Examples:

Thanks a lot in advance.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:55 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello,

I'm into really obscure black metal. I know a lot of black metal bands, and I'm looking for raw, yet atmospheric, melodic black metal. With melodic, I'm not referring to the theatrical kind, but the more ominous/eerie or atmospheric melodies.

Examples:

Thanks a lot in advance.

the Min Kniv sound immediately reminded me of this: https://svaltvinter.bandcamp.com/

also loved this one: https://tholomat.bandcamp.com/album/the-age-of-dajjal
at times kind of reminds me of Darkthrone in the Transilvanian Hunger era because of the repetitiveness, a good thing (IMO at least), and it is both melodic yet raw and aggressive

don't know if it fits what you're looking for but might be worth a shot

edit: just remembered this one: https://mythicdawn.bandcamp.com/releases

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:05 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello,

Examples:

Thanks a lot in advance.

Hello. I know you are rather picky with your black metal, but I believe (unless of course, you have already discovered this) I may have something for you with this particular request. I myself only just found this earlier this year, but as someone who also likes this style a lot, I recommend you check out this EP; Abkehr - In Asche. Raw, melodic, grim, cold and pure black metal all the way through. I personally think it's fucking awesome.

Abkehr - In Asche

My collection

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 am 

Thank you for the recommendation, but I don't hear an overlap with my request. Thank you anyway!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:39 pm 

So started to take note of the recommendations made to me the other day, starting with the first Eternal Alchemist album, totally blew me away! Lovely melodic riffs all over the place and alot of blastbeats, what a pity that this album is so hard to find on cd, so is that how its got to be then...the best bm of today being almost impossible to find?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:06 am 

mike_87 wrote:
So started to take note of the recommendations made to me the other day, starting with the first Eternal Alchemist album, totally blew me away! Lovely melodic riffs all over the place and alot of blastbeats, what a pity that this album is so hard to find on cd, so is that how its got to be then...the best bm of today being almost impossible to find?

Eternal Alchemist is awesome, I got the first album on CD when it came out from his BC, but I'm guessing it's no longer available. I think he might also be involved in the band Wallfahrer, which is a bit different style, but still really good.

For similar style to Eternal Alchemist I would also check out:
https://wolfspellrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ly-den-taudein-ja-kirouksin
https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp.com/album/lopun-alku

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 am 

Well i enjoyed the album that much that its a must have me getting a cd version of it! The only one i can see available is a wooden box version from Hong Kong on discogs, but its £45:/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:27 pm 

It was one of my very favorite and most listened to albums of 2016. There was a good month or so where that was my go-to workout album. I'd maybe sell you my copy, but shipping anything overseas from the US is stupid expensive these days. I'm sure you'll be able to find one eventually!

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:36 pm 

Yeah well if anyone else has a copy for sale get in touch. I dont know if i will find one if only 200 copies were made. I like how its not just the blastbeats that are enjoyable the riffs are incredible and great vocals. Ive contacted the guy behind the band he doesnt have any but said to give the label a bell

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:32 am 

Just listened to the second album which is also good but only 4 tracks and seems that Demon Summoning was overall the better written album, you agree?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:26 am 

I haven't listened to the second one quite as much, but I was also surprised at the 4 track format. I think it has more hidden elements that take time to really figure out. It's also a lot more progressive, like I don't remember a lot of repetition in the riffs. I actually listened to both albums between last night and this morning at the gym, but I still don't know the songs from the new album at all.

Aztakea
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 am 

C3ph wrote:
I love it when bands sing in their native language. Could anyone recommend black metal albums that are not in one of the "more common" languages? I suppose you could argue what those constitute, but I guess I'd say anything not in English, Norwegian, Swedish, German, or French.

Off the top of my head, I think all I have is two albums in Portuguese, one in Chinese, one in Romanian, one in Korean, a few Ukrainian (Drudkh), but that's about it.

Plaga sings in Polish.

Kult Ofenzivy from Czech Republic sings in Czech, as do Triumph, Genus (which features members from KO). Also, Cult of Fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT8lW73jexU

https://aztakea.bandcamp.com/releases

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:32 am 

I'm still looking for extraordinary atmospheric black metal. A black metal record that you'd play while a thunderstorm is going outside. Wedrujacy Wiatr, early Drudkh; you know?

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:34 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm still looking for extraordinary atmospheric black metal. A black metal record that you'd play while a thunderstorm is going outside. Wedrujacy Wiatr, early Drudkh; you know?

since my 1st recs didn't work let me try this ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmqlPj9Hsq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93b-Dg7QAk4

this second one i particularly love and while the album itself could be better, this is one hell of a song these guys have here (please ignore the ridiculous image on the video)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:04 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Hello. I know you are rather picky with your black metal, but I believe (unless of course, you have already discovered this) I may have something for you with this particular request. I myself only just found this earlier this year, but as someone who also likes this style a lot, I recommend you check out this EP; Abkehr - In Asche. Raw, melodic, grim, cold and pure black metal all the way through. I personally think it's fucking awesome.

Abkehr - In Asche

Forgot to respond to this! Yeah, Abkehr is awesome!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:57 pm 

Albums like Ceremony of Opposites? Something that grooves with a dark taste for melody and murky symphonic synths.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:45 am 

I'm aware of the fact that I often ask for requests; I'm addicted to discovering new music. This one is a difficult one. Black metal in the vein of early Dimmu Borgir (ie For All Tid, Stormblast, Devil's Path).

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:28 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

You're really tough to please but I like a challenge

just found this
https://aboleth.bandcamp.com/releases

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:02 pm 

Wanted to drop a friendly PSA:

If you love Mortuary Drape, don't sleep on Bifrost. They're more commonly labeled thrash but there is an UNDENIABLE similarity in the way they craft songs and even riffs. Seems to come through the strongest on their second LP. The debut is fantastic though.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:52 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm aware of the fact that I often ask for requests; I'm addicted to discovering new music. This one is a difficult one. Black metal in the vein of early Dimmu Borgir (ie For All Tid, Stormblast, Devil's Path).

Ditto, i am also addicted to discovering new bands, hoping to raise my familiarity with black metal bands from about 60 to 80+ haha. Hence me requesting new bands seversl times previously.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:26 am 

Somar wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

You're really tough to please but I like a challenge

just found this
https://aboleth.bandcamp.com/releases

Thanks, I'll check it out! I hope it doesn't come across as negative but the thing is, I've been listening to black metal for a long time and it is hard to bump into something that impresses me.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Thanks, I'll check it out! I hope it doesn't come across as negative but the thing is, I've been listening to black metal for a long time and it is hard to bump into something that impresses me.

nah, all good, not everyone likes the same, it's always a hit and miss process

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 196, 197, 198, 199, 200, 201, 202 ... 231  Next