Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:42 pm 

So that new album by A Sound of Thunder is pretty spectacular, which is odd considering they're usually very hit-or-miss.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:34 am 

kytokinesis wrote:
Trying to keep my expectations in check for the new Heir Apparent. The clips on itunes sound pretty solid, though.

Dark Quarterer's second album is fantastic. I would pick it over the debut to introduce someone to them.

I think both are great, but I'd definitely take the first over the second; it's just got their absolute best songs and a very, very fitting production.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:14 pm 

SO yeah, okay, Dark Quarterer's s/t really clicks now. The epic qualities are overwhelming, really.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:47 am 

Any thoughts here on the band MADD HUNTER? Pretty good stuff from my initial listen.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:42 pm 

Interesting, giving them a listen for the first time, the vocals are reminding me a little of Rivera though the band is simpler than Helstar and more aggressive than I would have expected. Definitely some oomph to this band. Good mention of a band I'd never heard of.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:52 am 

Just found this video of Phantom live, had no idea they were playing gigs again.

Falcon Eddie sounds amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjJqlV4lks

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:27 pm 

Holy fuck, he's not missed a beat. Don't worry, Marty, their Australian tour is coming soon. :P

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:37 am 

So I've been listening to the Hungarian Omen these days again and decided to check their 1994 live album. It's killer.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:42 pm 

Been on an early Deris-era Halloween (1994-2000) kick lately. Anyone got any recommendations in a similar vein?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:27 am 

Do you know Heaven's Gate? I'd recommend their first two albums.

TheGreatDuck
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 am 

I actually tend to associate them more with the Kiske era.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:18 am 

There's now a full track available from the new Heir Apparent album on their bandcamp, and it's pretty awesome tbh. If the whole album is this good, I'll be very pleased.

Very subtle riff work, lots of atmospherics. Much more explicitly Queensryche-esque than their first two, I'd say, but in a good way. Think of the best parts of Rage for Order, and that's basically it.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:13 am 

Oblarg wrote:
There's now a full track available from the new Heir Apparent album on their bandcamp, and it's pretty awesome tbh. If the whole album is this good, I'll be very pleased.

Very subtle riff work, lots of atmospherics. Much more explicitly Queensryche-esque than their first two, I'd say, but in a good way. Think of the best parts of Rage for Order, and that's basically it.

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll check it out.

Barrakketh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:14 am 

Howdy, gents!

I seek your help in finding some old-school 80s sounding true dark sullen epic heavy/power bands similar to something like Italian Domine debut disk, combining best features of Manowar, Manilla Road, Skelator, BattleroaR, early Fates Warning, with distinctive pounding bass, mighty vocals, guts-ripping heavy riffing and overall 'Moorcockian' atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:19 pm 

I posted this in the doom thread already, but I figure I could post it here as well as these guys have some pretty strong trad elements.

Last night a band called Alms from Baltimore played at a show I went to, and they were great. Their debut is definitely worth a listen - NWOBHM-ish doomy hard rock type stuff. Tasty riffs and harmonies throughout. Very good songwriting.

https://almsbaltimore.bandcamp.com/releases

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:58 pm 

I apologize for the double-post, but Storrsson's full-length debut album just came out and it fucking slays.

https://storrsson.bandcamp.com/track/king-of-the-blade

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:31 am 

Another one down: Just found out Mario Linhares died December 2017 at the age of 45, heart failure apparently.

World class singer in the Halford school, and their 1995 s/t album is seriously overlooked. Too bad they lost momentum after that, they could have made it big. They did continue on and off until his death.
RIP

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 pm 

https://starquake1.bandcamp.com/track/no-more-hate

This Means War syndrome. One of the most shameless thefts ever. It gave me a good laugh.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
https://starquake1.bandcamp.com/track/no-more-hate

This Means War syndrome. One of the most shameless thefts ever. It gave me a good laugh.

I'm assuming you're not talking about TANK's "This Means War," because I don't hear it if you are. :V

What I DO hear is an echo of Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years" but that's probably just me.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 am 

An echo?! It's the same song!
I don't know what "This Means War syndrome" is either.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:53 am 

It's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPToAsLm7o
See if you can spot their inspiration. ;)

And yeah, you would have to be very, very lenient to call that song an "echo". It's the most shameless ripoff since the above link.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:42 pm 

Hahaha that shit is amazing, I could literally predict every part of it on first listen. It's a shame, too, their overall sound is pretty decent.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:29 am 

Is everyone keeping their weepy Shelton-thoughts on FB or what?

Best that ever did it. I'm so thankful he got to be a world-touring rock star before it ended.

Oh he gets a legit main page thread! Sorry.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:12 pm 

I was playing Manilla Road all day today and yesterday. When people asked me about unique metal bands, one that do not sound like any other I always pointed to three groups - Brocas Helm, Holy Terror and...Manilla Road. "Open The Gates" is such a masterpiece it cannot even be properly described. It takes you on a mystical journey while retaining enough grounding and power not to go away to "power metal-lalalala-land".

As a sidenote - as we discussed in the new albums thread the new Dee Snider album is suprisingly good with a GREAT vocal performance by Dee - the only thing people might not like is the modern rockish production and sometimes some radio-friendly musical choices (although I would just say some songs are simply catchy and hooky).

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:36 pm 

I named my new internet network (new router) "TheShark". You can guess my password, please don't hack me :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:36 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I named my new internet network (new router) "TheShark". You can guess my password, please don't hack me :P

Too late!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:50 am 

Man, the Scalare LP fucking rules. If you don't mind horrendous vocals check it out for some weirdo trad/power metal.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:13 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Man, the Scalare LP fucking rules. If you don't mind horrendous vocals check it out for some weirdo trad/power metal.

I tried to listen to that one but the vocals beat me. Could not do it.

But I put on that Manacle album and I gotta buy that LP. Those early Fates Warning vibes are really something!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:35 am 

Oh yeah. Manacle are noooooo joke. It sounds like they tapped into that 84 lifeblood.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 am 

Does anybody have recs for bands that emulate the Empire-Promised Land era Queensryche sound moreso than their 80s sound? Y'know, more rocky and commercial but with noticeable slick Rush-isms and clean soaring vocals that generally occupy a somewhat deeper/lower register than the 80s counterpart. Fates Warning capture a bit of that vibe on Parallels and Inside Out but I haven't heard many other bands expand on that sound. Bonus points if they have moody ballad tracks like Out of Mind or Lady Jane on there.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:04 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Does anybody have recs for bands that emulate the Empire-Promised Land era Queensryche sound moreso than their 80s sound? Y'know, more rocky and commercial but with noticeable slick Rush-isms and clean soaring vocals that generally occupy a somewhat deeper/lower register than the 80s counterpart. Fates Warning capture a bit of that vibe on Parallels and Inside Out but I haven't heard many other bands expand on that sound. Bonus points if they have moody ballad tracks like Out of Mind or Lady Jane on there.

Labyrinth are an obvious recommendation, maybe a bit light on the commercial rock front, but they definitely have the same atmosphere of wistful longing those 90s Fates Warning albums have.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm 

I dunno if they really get the vibe of those shitty Queensryche albums, but Labyrinth - or that album in particular - were great. It's like the one post-good Europower album I like. People compare it to that Lost Horizon album, but it's far superior it doesn't have the crappy, MRA activist lyrics, either.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:14 pm 

Who had MRA lyrics, Lost Horizon? Maybe it's been a while since I paid attention to them...

Labyrinth's newest, Architecture of a God, is fantastic and might be even more in the vein of what you're looking for, as it's got a few more mid tempo, commercial style numbers here and there.

Maybe Trail of Murder and Project Arcadia, urban breed's projects, too? Similarly sleek vocal melodies and heavy but somewhat commercial metal music.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:42 pm 

I dunno, I wasn't paying that close attention but wasn't one of the songs on the debut "You've had your heartbroken - how weak? Welcome someone into your life... but she must kiss the ring". Like, you know, she needs to be in servitude to you or maybe he just wanted her to eat his arse. Sub-Manowarisms at any rate.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:27 pm 

Lost Horizon's lyrics are indeed pretty garbage but I still really like their debut.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:15 pm 

Lost Horizon's lyrics aren't garbage, but the dude has pretty basic English skills and for what he's working with I think the lyrics have power and are on message. Love both of the albums more than most.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:01 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
I dunno, I wasn't paying that close attention but wasn't one of the songs on the debut "You've had your heartbroken - how weak? Welcome someone into your life... but she must kiss the ring". Like, you know, she needs to be in servitude to you or maybe he just wanted her to eat his arse. Sub-Manowarisms at any rate.

I don't think I've actually listened to their debut in years. I usually gravitated for the second album.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:23 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

I don't think I've actually listened to their debut in years. I usually gravitated for the second album.

Me too. Something about that second album just seemed more complete, mature and just...better.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 pm 

Metallic Shock wrote:

Closest I'm come lately to that is this album. Pretty damn good, in fact! Especially the song Wasteland.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 pm 

Barrakketh wrote:
Howdy, gents!

I seek your help in finding some old-school 80s sounding true dark sullen epic heavy/power bands similar to something like Italian Domine debut disk, combining best features of Manowar, Manilla Road, Skelator, BattleroaR, early Fates Warning, with distinctive pounding bass, mighty vocals, guts-ripping heavy riffing and overall 'Moorcockian' atmosphere.

Thanks in advance.

Okay bro!!! I got some shit for ya, cause it's my fav style of metal!!!

Fucking classic and original sound. Wrathblade:

Best debut of the last five years.Eternal Champion:

Manacle:

Lethal Steel:

More epic than Maiden! Sellsword:

Closest to Manilla Road as you'll get!Assedium:

Elfspell:

Vultures Vengeance:

One of the best songs I've come across. Avalon Steel:

Gray Wolf:

Absolute classic. Skullview:

This album is amazing. Illegal Bodies:

Possessed Steel:

Terminus:

Stone Dagger:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 576, 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582 ... 624  Next