Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:46 am 

Lost Horizon's pseudo-philosophical/spiritual lyrics are kinda bad but very charming imo. Very uplifting.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:33 am 

Aydross wrote:
Lost Horizon's pseudo-philosophical/spiritual lyrics are kinda bad but very charming imo. Very uplifting.

Traditional heavy metal lyrics can be kinda bad in general. Which is part of the charm I think.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:07 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Metallic Shock wrote:
Does anybody have recs for bands that emulate the Empire-Promised Land era Queensryche sound moreso than their 80s sound? Y'know, more rocky and commercial but with noticeable slick Rush-isms and clean soaring vocals that generally occupy a somewhat deeper/lower register than the 80s counterpart. Fates Warning capture a bit of that vibe on Parallels and Inside Out but I haven't heard many other bands expand on that sound. Bonus points if they have moody ballad tracks like Out of Mind or Lady Jane on there.

Closest I'm come lately to that is this album. Pretty damn good, in fact! Especially the song Wasteland.

Yeah this is definitely along the general lines of what I was thinking, actually Conception's Flow has some songs that are in the vibe I'm thinking of too (title track, Gethsemane, and Cry on the ballad side come to mind). Only downside to this House of Spirits stuff from what I'm hearing is it's a bit more AOR-ish and the vocals aren't clicking with me at the moment, but it's got the general aesthetic that I like.

I'm already really familiar with Labyrinth and while it's true they get a bit of that 90s FW/QR feel on the softer bits like on The Night of Dreams, it's definitely way more full throttle power metal than what I'm thinking of here. Return to Heaven Denied is an undeniable classic of the genre though yeah. I did like Architecture of a God as well but I haven't revisited it much, I should get around to that some time. I also saw Trail of Murder and Project Arcadia mentioned which are both some of the strongest Urban Breed material (dude's got a fantastic voice either way so that's certainly an endorsement), though the rock-isms there are a bit less contemplative or atmospheric sounding compared to the primary sound I have in mind. It's a good reminder though, I haven't actually sat down and heard either album all the way through so with that in mind I'll be giving 'em a proper go.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 am 

I'm really not sure what you are looking for, is the first Manimal album something?

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:25 am 

Zdan wrote:
Aydross wrote:

Traditional heavy metal lyrics can be kinda bad in general. Which is part of the charm I think.

Well, they can, but they can also be brilliant. But the self-help, "You're a warrior now, son!" stuff from Lost Horizon is kinda weak. And not to mention questionable for the reasons I previously mentioned. My real problem with the album is the plastic, weak guitar sound, though. :P

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:20 pm 

Black Majesty released a single from their upcoming album:

It's miles better than anything that was on their 2015 album that shall not be named.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:51 pm 

At least they found a real metal guitar sound again. Not a great song, as it lacks a good hook, but at least they sort of have the right idea again.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 pm 

Opus wrote:
I'm really not sure what you are looking for, is the first Manimal album something?

Yeah, actually this is a badass tune! It kinda feels like a modern and more heavy version of a Mindcrime era song but with a bit more of a fist pumping quality that I dig. Great vocals, I'll have to check the whole album out too.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:02 pm 

I've been driving around playing the first two Manilla Road albums all day and these are great fun. I hadn't actually heard Invasion before. Loving the old 70s style groovy riffs and epic nerdy lyrics - just what I had hoped for. You could hear they were just playing with a shitload of old bands' stylings and trying to find a sound and it's fascinating in a vague anthropological way. But they also do sound pretty coherent and sure of themselves for such a young band, even.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I've been driving around playing the first two Manilla Road albums all day and these are great fun. I hadn't actually heard Invasion before. Loving the old 70s style groovy riffs and epic nerdy lyrics - just what I had hoped for. You could hear they were just playing with a shitload of old bands' stylings and trying to find a sound and it's fascinating in a vague anthropological way. But they also do sound pretty coherent and sure of themselves for such a young band, even.

Cat and Mouse is a great song!!! And have you listened to Mark of the Beast? Even better than invasion imo. I've been doing the exact same thing but with the last two Manilla Road albums, The Blessed Curse and To Kill A King. I've overlooked these albums in the past, but now they're REALLY growing on me esp. To Kill A King. In the Wake, Blood Island, Ghost Warriors, The Arena and the title track I would rate among the best songs of the reformation period.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 am 

I've ordered Dreams of Eschaton/Mark of the Beast and am waiting for it now. These two I found for $6 on MP3 and since they were not on the list of ones I'd wanted to grab, I bought it and am pleasantly surprised... "Cat and Mouse" rocks the fuck out and these early epics like "Cage of Mirrors" are fucking mindblowing.

Blessed Curse is great too. "Tomes of Clay" in particular and the wild, loopy second disc... I actually never heard To Kill a King, since I wasn't playing much MR the last few years. I'll change that soon.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:24 pm 

Manilla Road - The Fountain

Probably my favorite post-reunion Manilla Road song. A gorgeous, wistful tune made even more poignant by Shelton's passing.

Thought this was the now playing thread. Whoops.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:43 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I've ordered Dreams of Eschaton/Mark of the Beast and am waiting for it now. These two I found for $6 on MP3 and since they were not on the list of ones I'd wanted to grab, I bought it and am pleasantly surprised... "Cat and Mouse" rocks the fuck out and these early epics like "Cage of Mirrors" are fucking mindblowing.

Blessed Curse is great too. "Tomes of Clay" in particular and the wild, loopy second disc... I actually never heard To Kill a King, since I wasn't playing much MR the last few years. I'll change that soon.

I always wondered how Cage of Mirrors would sound if they had recorded it during Crystal Logic with that production and slightly heavier direction. Probably even more badass. All I have left to get now by Manilla Roadi is their first three.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:17 am 

miskatonic79 wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I always wondered how Cage of Mirrors would sound if they had recorded it during Crystal Logic with that production and slightly heavier direction. Probably even more badass. All I have left to get now by Manilla Roadi is their first three.

Probably be great with how tight and heavy they got just a year or two later. But Cage of Mirrors is probably the beginning of what they'd really turn into with that catchy vocal hook and the epic, solemn music.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:27 am 

Already posted this elsewhere, but I might as well do here because its the most hilarious metal-related thing I've read of in a long time. In an interview I've heard that Virgin Steele were doing a box set that would contain Hymns to Victory, The Book of Burning, one new disc that will contain of mostly orchestral live versions of classic VS tunes - those could be cool considering DeFeis sounds mostly good on live bonus shit. Another disc should consist of bluesy/epic/covers material.
Apparently Virgin Steele are releasing a boxed set in November that will contain not two, but three new albums. I had a good laugh when I read the thing below.
Spoiler: show
On September 14th NO REMORSE RECORDS will re-issue the first 2 VIRGIN STEELE albums.

Bonus Tracks include:
A TOKEN OF MY HATRED-Recorded Live in Tilburg, Holland

GREAT SWORD OF FLAME-Live in Tilburg, Holland

RISING UNCHAINED-Alternate Version

BLIGHTED SPRING-New Bonus Track

SELF CRUCIFIXION-Rare-Demo Version

LOVE & DEATH-Rare-Demo Version

And next coming in November will be a 5 Disc BOX SET featuring THE BOOK OF BURNING, HYMNS TO VICTORY plus 3 New Albums....details will follow in the weeks ahead.....

Hail & all the best to you ALL!

VIRGIN STEELE HOME OFFICE

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:45 am 

I will get those first two-releases but that boxset sounds totally off-the-wall. We will see what comes of that but it does not look good.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 am 

David compared this live orchestral stuff to the live bonus disc on the Invictus reissue so there's a chance that will be good.

Never cared about the first two VS albums but that demo version of ''Self Crucifixion'' could be cool.

EDIT: Here's the interview I mentioned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuo26cvhUIc

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:27 am 

I hope none of those are digipacks because if they are I am out and I will seek out the old jewelcase editions.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm 

Speaking of Mark Shelton. Apparently he recorded an album worth of songs with David Chastain sometime in the 80's that is gonna be released on Pure Steel sometime later this year. Gotta say I'm looking forward to it.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:00 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
Speaking of Mark Shelton. Apparently he recorded an album worth of songs with David Chastain sometime in the 80's that is gonna be released on Pure Steel sometime later this year. Gotta say I'm looking forward to it.

I loved the early Chastain albums. It this has Mark's melodicism and quirky songwriting qualities I am all in.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 pm 

Does anybody happen to know offhand which songs Mark sings on during the Hellroadie era albums? I only really listened to a handful of tracks from that era prior to Mark's passing (despite being into MR's classic stuff since '09 or so) and I'm finding it hard to tell them apart, granted I haven't gotten past Gates of Fire yet.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:21 am 

Metallic Shock wrote:
Does anybody happen to know offhand which songs Mark sings on during the Hellroadie era albums? I only really listened to a handful of tracks from that era prior to Mark's passing (despite being into MR's classic stuff since '09 or so) and I'm finding it hard to tell them apart, granted I haven't gotten past Gates of Fire yet.

HOLY SHIT then you are in for a treat with Voyager!! The best reformation period album, it can easily stand next to the mighty quaternity of the Road (Crystal Logic, Open the Gates, The Deluge and Mystification). On Voyager it's 100% Shelton (vocals). Hellroadie is almost indistinguishable on Spiral Castle (their second best reformation period album) and to a lesser extent Gates of Fire. His vocals start to sound less like Shelton around Mysterium, moving forward. That album and afterwards I can easily tell them apart. I'm sorry but I don't have a list of who sings what, that would be quite a project!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:32 pm 

It's pretty easy to tell Shelton and Hellroadie apart on any album from Playground of the Damned onward, if you've never heard those.

Voyager is insane because it hardly even sounds like the band's 80s material at all, much heavier and more somber than even their most serious tunes before. But you can still hear that distinct MR style.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 am 

voyager is my favourite reformation era album because its like the peak of the death metallic kinda sound they were doing during the 00's. The records after are enjoyable but nothing really spectacular, i consider the blessed curse the best album of the that post 2010 era.

Cage of Mirrors and Queen of the Black Coast are the first 2 full fledged Manilla Road songs imo.

I actually listen to after midnight live and dreams of eschaton a lot the last couple years, prob more than all the other records even.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:01 pm 

I'm looking for recent speed metal albums that are really good and anything after 2004. Something akin to Motorhead.

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:16 pm 

Aydross wrote:

This is super lame, but I've probably listened to Sworn in the Metal Wind after every breakup over the past 6 years.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:32 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for recent speed metal albums that are really good and anything after 2004. Something akin to Motorhead.

Speedwolf is the band for you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqO1hjFCCLc

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:40 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Baphomet's Blood:

Stalker

Vulture:

Evil Invaders

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:54 am 

Weird rec but I'm looking for synth-pop based power metal ala Metalium, Amaranthe, etc. Preferably female fronted.

It's for cardio purposes don't shame me people.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 am 

Aydross wrote:
Weird rec but I'm looking for synth-pop based power metal ala Metalium, Amaranthe, etc. Preferably female fronted.

Metalite had my album of the year in 2017, so it's safe to say I recommend them:

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Aydross wrote:

Metalite had my album of the year in 2017, so it's safe to say I recommend them:

WAIT I actually meant to say Metalite instead of Metalium :crash:

Never even heard a Metalium song now that I think about it.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:55 am 

Aydross wrote:
WAIT I actually meant to say Metalite instead of Metalium :crash:
Never even heard a Metalium song now that I think about it.

Now it makes sense!

The first Metalium album is great.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:45 pm 

We already got a lot of bands with the name Fortress, but this new one that is strongly influenced by older Maiden is fantastic. Really looking forward to their album.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:20 pm 

That Fortress EP is good! Simple, rockin', punky and raw! I would grab a CD version if there is/was one.

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:03 pm 

Fallen Angel (US) - Cast Out Of Heaven

Really great US Power Metal!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4zJNOuIqVg

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:01 pm 

burnroasted wrote:
Aydross wrote:

This is super lame, but I've probably listened to Sworn in the Metal Wind after every breakup over the past 6 years.

yep, it's so good for that lol.

Any good recent heavy metal albums? I haven't kept up. Gonna give that Storrsson a listen. Gatekeeper seems solid.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Nightmare060
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:52 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Any good recent heavy metal albums? I haven't kept up. Gonna give that Storrsson a listen. Gatekeeper seems solid.

Depends how recent you want to go. But here are a few gems I think need greater recognition;

https://youtu.be/hTNFsTV38hA Armory - Hyperion: 80s Speed Metal revival with the skills to back it up.

https://youtu.be/XM3VlKqejQg Satan's Hollow - Reaching For the Night: Retro production, energetic vocals and songwriting to match.

https://youtu.be/AbGtTcRVupU Skull First - You Belong to Me: One of the first NWOTHM bands I discovered, back with a new single for their upcoming album in October.

https://youtu.be/5EExbLCeUnI Enforcer - Undying Evil: High-energy traditional/speed metal with unrelenting power!

https://youtu.be/BXhXjKigrW0 Saxon - Thunderbolt: an often overlooked veteran of NWOBHM still going strong.

I hope these scratch the traditional metal itch for ya! :)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:20 am 

New Seasons of the Wolf is utterly immaculate, Nahsil - definitely get that one if you can.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:39 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
burnroasted wrote:

yep, it's so good for that lol.

It literally got me through my parent's divorce back in the day. And I will always defend LH no matter what, I will absolutely die on that hill and ascend to valhalla. Although I have to add there's nothing "pseudo" anything about their lyrics. They are the real deal; 100% genuine. Whether you like them or think they are cheesy is another thing entirely, I won't dispute anyone's opinion but I will stand up for the absolute strength of spirit and uncompromising vision they have set out to achieve.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:35 pm 

So I've decided to give Manilla Road's Voyager finally a try. It's really cool so far.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 577, 578, 579, 580, 581, 582, 583 ... 624  Next