Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 am 

The initial group of bands announced. A very fun fest in southern Illinois on the Ohio river. Mostly death metal, thrash, grind, and hardcore. 2 stages. A good clean campground with a staff that keeps the shitters clean. BYOB though you can buy beers there if you want to waste money. Last year was killer and hopefully it keeps growing. :headbang:

http://fullterrorassault.com/

BYOB, free camping.

Death Angel
Immolation
Power Trip
Warbringer
Disintegrator
Incite
Crisix
Demolition Hammer
Birdflesh

A lot more bands to be announced.

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm 

Demolition Hammer just added. Really wish this wasn't so thrash heavy, but I'll still probably make the trip since it's close to me and so cheap.

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:59 pm 

Yeah this fest usually leans more towards thrash. Demolition Hammer would be a great time though and they recently announced Birdflesh which is pretty big.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:23 pm 

The first two seemed very death metal and grindy. Last year was more thrashy and this year is similar. Had a blast last year and hope to go again this year.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:35 pm 

it looks like Midnight got added! I was probably going for Warbringer and Power Trip anyway, but I'm definitely going now

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:56 pm 

Love this festival. Went last year and I'll go every year it happens. I just can't believe that more metal heads don't go. It's cheap, bring your own beer, free camping, all metal(mostly thrash and death, but I love old school thrash), and the bands are right there with you. Hell, Tony of Iron Reagen flew through our camp site on a golf cart.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:23 pm 

I was wavering, but I think I'll have to go. I'm on vacation that week and will be a cheap way to at least do something and hear plenty of metal.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:32 am 

I decided to skip it. If I had a group of friends going it would be different, but five pretty good bands and 30 I've never heard of just isn't a good ratio to make the trip worth it for me. Really regretting not doing Psycho Vegas now.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 pm 

Its a 3 hour drive for me but screw it. Hopefully the fest keeps growing.

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:09 pm 

If metal heads don't support festivals like this then they will die off. It's definitely an affordable festival with cheap tickets and not having to pay 13 bucks for a beer. And to the commenter not going because you don't have friends going with you, I guarantee you'd make some new friends or just some people to party with that are camping right next to you. Support has always been a problem with metal heads saying they don't like this band or that band, but without supporting these events they can't grow to bring in that bigger metal band you're interested in. I'll be there every year they have it as long as I can bring my own beer and food.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:14 pm 

I already go to Migration/Gilead, 70,000 Tons, NWTF and Psycho almost every year, in addition to going to a local metal show every single week. I live and breathe live metal and supporting festivals. But I'm not going to waste my time, money, and precious PTO in order to go to a fest that doesn't fit my taste in the hopes that one day it will.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:20 pm 

So there is a mystery band replaced crisix I think. They will not announce who but there are the clues.

Clue #1: There are 4 band members in this group.
Clue #2: 1st full length release was in 1997
Clue #3: 6th Studio Album due out this year
Clue #4: Dark Purple
Clue #5: DVJG

I have no idea.

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:08 pm 

Maybe Lividity? The clues kind of fit them and I believe they're from Illinois.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:11 pm 

Slayerjon444 wrote:
If metal heads don't support festivals like this then they will die off. It's definitely an affordable festival with cheap tickets and not having to pay 13 bucks for a beer. And to the commenter not going because you don't have friends going with you, I guarantee you'd make some new friends or just some people to party with that are camping right next to you. Support has always been a problem with metal heads saying they don't like this band or that band, but without supporting these events they can't grow to bring in that bigger metal band you're interested in. I'll be there every year they have it as long as I can bring my own beer and food.

Yo then get a better lineup. Why would I waste my time and money to go to this fest when all the bands I care about seeing will play Chicago anyway? Fuck the true metal patriot crap, have a good lineup and people will go. I'm not gonna throw money away just to "support the scene" or some such nonsense. All the major fests in North America get pretty much the same bands to play and living in Chicago I'd never have to travel to see 90% of the bands I want to see. When I go to a fest it's 100% because they got bands that I can't or won't see at home.

And yeah, I hit shows weekly here and I travel extensively for fests.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:14 pm 

And who the fuck wants to sleep on hard ground, eat up by mosquitoes, smelling ass people, port-a-potty’s, people next to making too much noises while your trying to sleep, and the fucking heat!

No thanks. I love metal but not that much for a shitty camping trip.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:40 pm 

The weather last year was amazing, I'm crossing my fingers for more of the same. Thankfully the people who own the campground were very diligent about cleaning every morning, they had those shitters spotless.

Yeah if you live in an area where these bands play all the time I can see why the thrill would be less. Personally I enjoy the camping, and will get a little fishing in while I'm there.

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:04 pm 

I love camping. And it's fucking 2018 who the fuck sleeps on the ground? I have a 24 inch air mattress so I'm far from sleeping on a hard ground. Hell, we own 3 air mattresses, just in case everyone gets drunk and can't drive home. But I get it, some people aren't cut out for camping. There are shower's there for free, and like the guy said above the porta potty's are cleaned daily. And I'd rather go camping than on a cruise, or somewhere I pay 13 for a beer. And I'm not trying to preach the "I'm holier than thouh" crap either. Just saying it's actually pretty cool festival and good time in the middle of nowhere. You can actually get some sleep also, it's not as noisy at night as you'd think. A lot of these bands don't always tour through my area, so I look forward to going.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:47 pm 

Mostly I hate camping. I dunno where yall are going for $13 beers but you fucking up, I've only been to one venue like that and it was in NYC. You can get pbr for $4 or $5 for a tallboy at most venues in the city and craft for $6 and up. Fuck reggies has the 19oz cans of All Day IPA for $5.50.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:43 pm 

Well the Hollywood place in Chicago where I caught the final Slayer tour was around 13, Ruoff in Indianapolis 13.25, and quite a few others. A place called the 5th Quarter was cheap but they're osed now. Even The Murat is 11 and 12. The Vogue isn't quite there yet, but was still high when I was there for Obituary. There's some smaller palvces for local bands that aren't high, but to see a bigger metal band around here that's what you're paying man.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:55 am 

It really depends on the venue here, the most expensive is the amphitheater at 13 each, but that is 24 oz beers. Most places its 5-6 bucks a beer.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

A follow up. A great weekend of metal. I had some blackout moments but I was told I had a great time. The worst of the rain missed us and the shows went on fine. Highlights for me were Midnight, Sacred Leather, Disintegrator, Rebel Scum, Condition Critical. Unfortunately my memory of Power Trip and Demolition Hammer is pretty much blank thanks to Evan. Looks like the fest is growing and #5 is next year!

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:07 pm 

Warbringer, Death Angel and Powertrip were my favorites this year. Also enjoyed the Burrito guy's food. Other than that early Saturday morning rain it wasn't too bad weather wise. Missed a good chunk of Friday recovering lol. But after I got going it was a great day and good finish with Immolation. Can't wait for number 5. I like that it's not all trash, or a complete death fest. I like a lot of different metal so the diversity is nice.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:00 pm 

I had a blackout during Powertrip apparently. Was a bummer, less whiskey next year.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:33 pm 

Glad to hear it was a success! Really hoping the next lineup is more to my taste. I've decided against the cruise and MDF next year, so hoping to do a handful of smaller fests like this one and Fire in the Mountains instead.

laurenellael
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:49 am 

Slayerjon444 wrote:
I love camping. And it's fucking 2018 who the fuck sleeps on the ground? I have a 24 inch air mattress so I'm far from sleeping on a hard ground. Hell, we own 3 air mattresses, just in case everyone gets drunk and can't drive home. But I get it, some people aren't cut out for camping. There are shower's there for free, and like the guy said above the porta potty's are cleaned daily. And I'd rather go camping than on a cruise, or somewhere I pay 13 for a beer. And I'm not trying to preach the "I'm holier than thouh" crap either. Just saying it's actually pretty cool festival and good time in the middle of nowhere. You can actually get some sleep also, it's not as noisy at night as you'd think. A lot of these bands don't always tour through my area, so I look forward to going.

I want to ask that which mattress are you using? because I am looking for the air mattress, I am going to camping for the first, so time it will be great if you will share about it.

Slayerjon444
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:26 am 

Sorry for the late response, but the air mattress we use is an Intex 24 inch tall mattress with the pump built in. Nice and form and easy to air up and deflate with the pump built in and a turn dial to select which you want to use. Hopefully that will help you for next camping season.

Reply to topic