Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:27 am 

battle_axes wrote:

Give Urgehal a go. The only album I'm familiar enough to recommend is Ikonoklast, and it's riffy as a motherfucker. Plus, it has guitar solos.

Behexen might fit the bill too. Namely, By the Blessing of Satan. Their tracks on their split with Horna are excellent, but they may be more on the epic side for what you're asking.

Oh man, you gotta check Goatcraft Torment, it might actually be their best, but it's very close.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Craft's riffs are fucking mean as hell. I recommend that. :D They take that Darkthrone-inspired, Taake-esque groove to another level completely. Fuck the Universe is a good place to start.

Did you like the new Craft album? I felt like most of it was intro riffs that were waiting to build into something explosive that never happened :( It was pretty slow overall with only a couple more aggressive moments. I got more of a good background music vibe from it than something I'd listen to with full attention.

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:09 pm 

I am looking for black metal similar to Arizmenda's last album.

Riffs that are a little bit "out there", albeit still very catchy and decipherable, not just following the whole dissonant trend ...

I am familiar with most of the Black Twilight Circle scene, suggestions outside of this group are welcome.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Craft's riffs are fucking mean as hell. I recommend that. :D They take that Darkthrone-inspired, Taake-esque groove to another level completely. Fuck the Universe is a good place to start.

Did you like the new Craft album? I felt like most of it was intro riffs that were waiting to build into something explosive that never happened :( It was pretty slow overall with only a couple more aggressive moments. I got more of a good background music vibe from it than something I'd listen to with full attention.

I haven't listened to the full album yet. It seems interesting, and I'm happy that they seemed to have changed the formula. Void was mostly quite stale, and it only really shone when it sounded nothing like what you'd expect from Craft.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:34 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Oh man, you gotta check Goatcraft Torment, it might actually be their best, but it's very close.

I certainly will. Thanks for the tip.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:52 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Here I am, with yet another very specific request. I'm looking for black metal with a rural, farmland vibe. Soundwise, I prefer it to have atmosphere. The vibe I'd like to get, is like this:

So no one?

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Sick6Six wrote:

I've been listening to both these albums nonstop for the last week, and they're both awesome. It's been a pretty satanic work commute.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:25 pm 

^Glad to hear it! I'm gonna give the new Craft another shot while I'm driving home today I think, and maybe listen to some of their older stuff again this week.

Edit: OK, so the new Craft is actually pretty cool. It's one of those albums that just kind of "rocks" as they say. Similar to Hate Them era Darkthrone, but I think this has more variety and tighter riffs/drums or something like that.

sksxxx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 am 

For fans of Judas Iscariot

Akantha (Greece)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFgskfMZAMc

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:17 am 

sksxxx wrote:
For fans of Judas Iscariot

Akantha (Greece)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFgskfMZAMc

This is quite awesome

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:38 am 

I listened to the Akantha album a bunch when it came out, see my little BC review on it! I didn't even make the Judas Iscariot connection when I first listened, but it definitely does have similarities with his last couple releases (in a good way) Looking forward to more from them.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:07 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I listened to the Akantha album a bunch when it came out, see my little BC review on it! I didn't even make the Judas Iscariot connection when I first listened, but it definitely does have similarities with his last couple releases (in a good way) Looking forward to more from them.

Also his earlier releases, imho

s3iorus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:31 am 

Recommend me please bands/tracks with similar guitar sound.

1. https://youtu.be/uArp8heXy68?t=1m37s
2. https://youtu.be/KDoZ7vIuz1c?t=2m13s
3. https://youtu.be/ohGiz7wbFEM?t=6m26s
4. https://youtu.be/vfBmYfnjLho?t=57s

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:31 pm 

Can anyone name me a few super heavy old school bm bands that exclusively from Canada or the US? Dont really know that many from these areas

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:40 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone name me a few super heavy old school bm bands that exclusively from Canada or the US? Dont really know that many from these areas

Frozen Shadows. Their 2nd album is heavier and more brutal, but I love this song so much.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm 

Just the one band? ;)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:16 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

As far as stuff from the 90s goes, the two big ones from the US are Judas Iscariot and Grand Belial's Key. I love the former, haven't really been motivated to explore the latter.

There's a few other cool obscure ones though. Wind of the Black Mountains' first album has been intriguing me of late.

https://moribundrecords.bandcamp.com/al ... y-servants

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:22 am 

mike_87 wrote:
Just the one band? ;)

Aside from agreeing with Wily, (need to revisit Winds of the Black Mountains) I can't think of many old school and heavy ones... A few others I like from US and Canada though are Pagan Hellfire, Dumal, Urzeit, and One Master. The 3 US bands are all newer.

I've listened to the third Pagan Hellfire album countless times over the years, a real hidden gem imo:

Dumal is a newer band, but definitely have an old school sound, hope they have new stuff soon:

One Master is a bit more dissonant, but I really like them:

I mentioned Urzeit earlier in the year, they totally shred:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:10 pm 

Crimson Moon are another old one. Their first album kinda sounds like Obtained Enslavement but with a spoopier sound and worse production. Not bad, not good either, but still worth a cursory listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvodEUc33QA

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 am 

I'm still looking for black metal with a rural, farm-vibe, like this:

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:30 am 

Any bm with fun/interesting drumming outside of mgla, absu, dso? Usually not the genre I'd go for drumming but it can be cool when it does it right.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:47 am 

Aydross wrote:
Any bm with fun/interesting drumming outside of mgla, absu, dso? Usually not the genre I'd go for drumming but it can be cool when it does it right.

Not sure what kind of drumming you want exactly, but I think all of these bands have good drumming, especially at these parts/songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzzxs4AcO3w

https://youtu.be/_RFkNeI-pJ8?t=1957

https://youtu.be/s6DhaoU0vG4?t=3795

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93iYOGX2Cks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWt_qSKaQHs

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:20 am 

Exactly, what is "fun" drumming supposed to be?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 am 

Aydross wrote:

I always found Horn's drumming interesting and somewhst different or upbeat sounding from the norm, not to mention the awesome music itself. Check out his first 3 albums in particular to see it if is along the lines of what you are looking for, if not it is still awesome material :)

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Horn/17452

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:21 am 

Aydross wrote:

Klabautamann's album Merkur has outstanding drumming with lots of groove and variety, but it's black metal in a pretty loose sense of the term.
You can check songs like Lurker in the Moonlight and the title track to see if it's your thing

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:06 am 

Yes, been listening to those records and drumming sounds very cool, thanks.

Obviously "fun" is a subjective term, but anything that sounds different/original works for me.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:49 am 

first I have some norwegian classics for you, even if you probably do (or at least should) know them already:

both the ultimate drum performance and production on a black metal album is definitely on mayhem's de mysteriis dom. sathanas.
faust on emperor's in the nightside eclipse is...different, but unique and very fitting for the album.
gorgoroth's under the sign of hell has some truly maniacal drumming, that snare alone is worth dozens of other drumjobs (REVELATION OF DOOOM!!!)
you should also check out enslaved's first MLP if you haven't yet.

if you want to go for a lesser-known, "different" yet proficient drumjob, try koldbrann's nekrotik inkvisition.

then there's graveland's thousand swords album. people may arguably call the drumming incompetent, sloppy, "off", or whatever, but it perfectly suits this kind of barbarian warrior black metal.

also, j. read of revenge if you're into this kind of stuff.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:46 am 

Fans of Graveland, make sure you check this out.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:37 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:

koldbrann's nekrotik inkvisition.

This album fucking rules. It has some incredible riffs that often come out of nowhere too. The 2nd album was pretty good too.

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Here I am, with yet another very specific request. I'm looking for black metal with a rural, farmland vibe. Soundwise, I prefer it to have atmosphere. The vibe I'd like to get, is like this:

I can only think of Myrkgrav. But I'm not exactly sure that's what you're looking for.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:06 pm 

^I've been meaning to listen to those 2 albums, but was out of town for a week and I don't see them on BC. It's more of a pain loading youtube in my car. Just based off the cover art I was thinking MAYBE Dauþuz, Slavland, Wayfarer, Panopticon? I am not even too familiar with these either. I remember many years ago I thought one of the first Slavland albums was really cool, but hated the folky instruments.

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:40 pm 

Guys i need some band like Peste Noire ,high vocals ,with mixing of melodic and raw part.Lyrics doesn't need to be on French .

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:54 pm 

Neta00 wrote:
Guys i need some band like Peste Noire ,high vocals ,with mixing of melodic and raw part.Lyrics doesn't need to be on French .

Typical Peste Noire like bands would be Sühnopfer (a lot more melodic and sweet, but a certain medieval vibe I feel is similar is captured, check the 2nd album mayhaps), Ungfell (excellent rural folktale vibes, definitely my favorite band simar to Peste Noire), Sale Freux, and uuuuhhh I guess Baise ma Hache or whatever depending on what you are looking for in terms of KPN era.

Hopefully some of that is desirable.

Neta00
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:04 am 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Neta00 wrote:

Typical Peste Noire like bands would be Sühnopfer (a lot more melodic and sweet, but a certain medieval vibe I feel is similar is captured, check the 2nd album mayhaps), Ungfell (excellent rural folktale vibes, definitely my favorite band simar to Peste Noire), Sale Freux, and uuuuhhh I guess Baise ma Hache or whatever depending on what you are looking for in terms of KPN era.

Hopefully some of that is desirable.

Thanks for recommendations.I'm listening right now Ungfell sounds good

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:48 am 

Ungfell is great indeed.

DarkenedOne
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:22 am 

iAm wrote:
So I'm at somewhat of a loss here trying to find new(or old) artists who sound like Moonblood, Ulver's Nattens Madrigal early Mutiilation/ Vlad Tepes, Bone Awl, Von, and anything of this sort with ugly Punk styled riffs, poor production and stuff bordering Power Electronics such as Swordfuck, Hatjan, and Cabaret for Bereaved. I'm not to much on the whole satanism thing but think of nihilism, war, catacombs, goat sacrifice and sodomy!

Note I'm very well aware of larger acts, so lets stick to lesser known stuff if possible

I'm also looking for (un)music like Bone Awl, Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes. If you're looking for something new with some pretty raw production yet sounding chaotic and relentless, try listening to NTIZKVM - Repudiation.
You never know about what darker than black is if you did not try to hear something different than usual, something darker than the most extreme that you've known. By then, you'll journey into what is more evil than Satan, what is more kvlt than death, itself.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:43 am 

DarkenedOne wrote:
iAm wrote:
So I'm at somewhat of a loss here trying to find new(or old) artists who sound like Moonblood, Ulver's Nattens Madrigal early Mutiilation/ Vlad Tepes, Bone Awl, Von, and anything of this sort with ugly Punk styled riffs, poor production and stuff bordering Power Electronics such as Swordfuck, Hatjan, and Cabaret for Bereaved. I'm not to much on the whole satanism thing but think of nihilism, war, catacombs, goat sacrifice and sodomy!

Note I'm very well aware of larger acts, so lets stick to lesser known stuff if possible

I'm also looking for (un)music like Bone Awl, Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes. If you're looking for something new with some pretty raw production yet sounding chaotic and relentless, try listening to NTIZKVM - Repudiation.

You might like:

Wroth https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Wroth/3540377775

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:37 pm 

also try WROK from the netherlands.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:13 am 

Does anyone know of any bands like Erraunt? Bass-heavy, mid-paced with lots of atmosphere and ‘pretty’ chords, while still being raw and blackened?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:26 am 

I'm looking for ethereal, dreamlike black metal, heavy on emotion. Maybe a bit like Midnight Odyssey, but less approachable. No post, no super clean.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for ethereal, dreamlike black metal, heavy on emotion. Maybe a bit like Midnight Odyssey, but less approachable. No post, no super clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkys1ZOQVcM

(Second half is rawer.)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 198, 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204 ... 231  Next