Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:28 am 

If you like the second one then you'll need to watch the TV series. It has the same splatstick tone as the second movie and has some of the best moments in the entire series.

Also, check out the works of Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon. They're the Exhumed and Impaled to Evil Dead's Carcass.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:01 pm 

Thor: Ragnarok exemplifies everything good and bad with the MCU. On the one hand, it's an extremely enjoyable action romp with a fun cast who are clearly enjoying themselves. On the other hand it's complete fluff and lacking its own identity in the way that earlier MCU entries did. Maybe this is a case of expectations versus reality, but I always thought the Thor films should've been the MCU's epics given the character is, quite literally, pulled from a renowned myth. In a sense, it's like Disney's Hercules, where the result is fine but underwhelming compared to what's come before and what's happening in parallel properties. 7/10

Emelie is just another case of horror for yuppie scum. Oh no, a crazy babysitter that you didn't even bother looking up on Facebook! Or Googling! Spare me. This shit is only shocking if you've never heard a gunshot in real life. 4/10

darkeningday wrote:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 am 

nightbreaker33 wrote:
Trashy_Rambo wrote:
The Invisible Man (1933):

Fantastic movie overall. The special effects hold up remarkably well, and Claude Rains is electric. There are some excellent tense moments as well.

I agree with the practical effects part, they are way ahead of their time. There are a few scenes of black comedy like the one with the car falling of the cliff. The invisible man's attitude is described by anger and that is a good thing. I need to rewatch this.

The Invisible Man is probably the most technically impressive title of that era. Sure, we can spot the effects now, but they are still damn impressive. I think they edited that shit frame by frame. Which is mind blowing.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:29 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
If you like the second one then you'll need to watch the TV series. It has the same splatstick tone as the second movie and has some of the best moments in the entire series.

Also, check out the works of Brian Yuzna and Stuart Gordon. They're the Exhumed and Impaled to Evil Dead's Carcass.

Bloody hell, I knew I was forgetting something obvious. Yes, these guys are great, and for an Evil Dead vibe, one needs only to look for The Re-Animator.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:33 pm 

zen3001 wrote:
I don't know many movies and am looking for some horror movie like videodrome or the evil dead movies(my english is too limited to describe them)

I haven't gotten around to seeing Videodrome yet but these have some similar themes:

Altered States
They Live
From Beyond
Hellraiser
Brainscan
TerrorVision

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:37 pm 

Quick thought: Rob Zombie's Halloween I and II would be heralded as awkward and brutal cult classics if he didn't write such awful fucking edgelord dialogue. There are some insanely vicious and effective scenes, especially the beginning of II when Laurie is freaking out at the hospital.

darkeningday wrote:

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:59 pm 

The Breakfast Club - I'm not sure if I'd ever seen the whole movie before or just certain scenes. But the good parts are very memorable, and even if I don't find the entire package quite as insightful as it wanted to be, it's a solid entry in John Hughes' Molly Ringwald / Anthony Michael Hall phase. I'll try to force myself to watch Pretty in Pink next.

acid_bukkake wrote:
Quick thought: Rob Zombie's Halloween I and II would be heralded as awkward and brutal cult classics if he didn't write such awful fucking edgelord dialogue. There are some insanely vicious and effective scenes, especially the beginning of II when Laurie is freaking out at the hospital.

I think RZ's first Halloween is a perfectly acceptable remake, while the sequel completely sucks besides the Chris Hardwick / Weird Al scene, when it was going for comedy. I don't know if toned down dialogue would have saved that movie for me. Almost everything about it felt off. IIRC last time we discussed H-II here somebody suggested Zombie only made it because of contractual obligation, so he made it suck on purpose.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:07 pm 

I thought the same thing, but then I went and rewatched that first remake and it's seriously just awful and unwatchable on every level for me. It pretty much ruined what was good about the original. Better dialogue might fix half of the problem, but it would still be seriously clunky, overlong and pointless in general.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:44 pm 

All that matters is the original and the brand new one coming out. Nothing else.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
zen3001 wrote:
I don't know many movies and am looking for some horror movie like videodrome or the evil dead movies(my english is too limited to describe them)

I haven't gotten around to seeing Videodrome yet but these have some similar themes:

Altered States
They Live
From Beyond
Hellraiser
Brainscan
TerrorVision

They Live has the best fight scene ever filmed and needs to be watched for that alone. Altered States was pretty cool too, as was From Beyond.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:13 pm 

Thiestru, I will not vouch for Hellraiser and I've never seen Brainscan, but Terrorvision is incredible 80s schlock. I didn't know anything like it actually existed-everything else I'd seen was on a different level of dumb. It's got lighting from Argento/From Beyond, a creature right out of Hennenlotter, a plot like Chopping Mall, and super hilarious execution of a number of concepts that'll make you shake your head. It's proto Full Moon, so it's fuckin DUMB, and it was directed by the guy who later made the Subspecies series (I'm sure you saw those in the video store fifteen years ago!).

I hate Hellraiser. A lotta noise and weirdo people were into it awhile back, and I dig weird shit, but it's boring, tame, unlikeable, unfulfilling, not weird, hyped, etc. The sequels suck too!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:29 pm 

Hellraiser has great visuals and aesthetics, but the story was always boring, cliche and typical. They had hints of what could've been really interesting and cool but always stopped way short of anything I found that compelling.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Hellraiser has great visuals and aesthetics, but the story was always boring, cliche and typical. They had hints of what could've been really interesting and cool but always stopped way short of anything I found that compelling.

This is why a lot of classic films from the 80s bore me to tears--spend all their time and money on aesthetics to backdrop a mediocre plot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:53 pm 

I wouldn't say it's a lot of 80s movies or even an 80s problem - plenty of other ones from that era are awesome, and plenty of modern movies have the same problems.

Hellraiser is just an odd case because it seems like it should be awesome and it has this cult following, but it never resonated with me beyond a few cool scenes of the Cenobites here and there.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:01 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
This is why a lot of classic films from the 80s bore me to tears--spend all their time and money on aesthetics to backdrop a mediocre plot.
What are you thinking of?

Shit that comes to my mind:

the big three slashers
slashers in toto
80s werewolf shit (I grew up on Werewolf in London and Howling-they still suck!)
im done here. I can't think of any classics I dig. I hate 80s vampire stuff and sci fi. Cronenberg was cool.

I can only approve of the Italian 80s stuff at this point, but this point is going on six years now... It's an another league compared to what was going on in the US and it's still insanely gnarly.

ah, the outlier: Romero's movies, randos like Nightmare in a Damaged Brain, but that's not a classic in the typical sense

Speaking of dropping money on aesthetics, outside of Argento, where's the creativity and the cash? Bukakke mentioned Gordon and Yuzna. Hennenlotter ruled.

Edit: I had some more time to think and The Thing nails aesthetics and plot. Evil Dead is great fun. The Shining is cult.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:34 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

The Hellraiser series works better in music video form.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:31 am 

Finally saw Hereditary. Man, what a scary movie. I really liked the mix of super creepy shit and just disturbing/uncomfortable drama that just kinda made me feel dirty. Similar vibes to stuff like Blue Ruin or Green Room in the emotional impact, but then some terrifying horror stuff as well, which was a great mix. I can definitely see the comparisons to The VVitch in terms of overall atmosphere, though of course they are still very different movies.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:43 am 

The Nun is the worst of the Conjuring spin-off's but also the first to work as a subtle comedy. There is no way Corin Hardy, who made the surprisingly excellent The Hallow, didn't know that adding one liners, the character of Frenchie, and half of the dialogue would make the film hilarious.

darkeningday wrote:

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

The Conjuring spin-offs suffer from the fact that they're trying to be modern horror movies when the series they've split off from is more in line with the religious horror boom of the 70s. Also, being cheap cash-ins with no inspiration or vision.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 pm 

Yeah, honestly now that a bit of time has passed and the hype has died down, it is worth reiterating that Hereditary was fucking awesome. I still find myself thinking about it every once in a while, and it hit me on a deeply personal level. I can't say that about many recent horror films. Films of its ilk honestly make me dislike films that are absolutely empty and devoid of anything thoughtful whatsoever like Terrifier. What a crock.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:50 pm 

Shame to hear about Terrifier. I really liked the first movie they did with that character, All Hallows Eve, about five years ago.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:05 pm 

Terrifier had a memorable scary clown and one of the grossest kills I've seen in the past few years, yet was still kind of average to me overall. I agree with Subrick's (generally positive) review from a few months ago about all the non-clown characters being useless.

(edit)

Brick - Hmm. Rian Johnson probably made exactly the movie he wanted to make, but it didn't work for me at all. The pretentious dialogue, annoying music, and excessive shots of feet killed any interest I might have had in the story. (For the record I thought The Last Jedi was an improvement on The Force Awakens so it's not like I'm letting Star Wars related anger influence my opinion of his earlier work.)

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm 

It's been a while since I've seen Brick, but I remember loving it for blending gumshoe film noir with high school melodrama. It was also the "coming out" party for JGL as an actor, so it may be a case where you had to see it upon release.

The Predator (2018)
Despite being part of the original's cast, I don't think Shane Black "gets" it. The original centered on the one-upmanship of macho during the Reagan 80s, an absurdist slant on meathead attitudes, and unraveled itself in such a perfect manner that it can please both those who want their action to be primal and blunt as well as those wanting something slightly more intellectual. It doesn't tackle the issues of alien intervention in Earthly conflict as The Day the Earth Stood Still does but it isn't trying to. It served as a reminder that there's always a bigger fish in the ocean, always an opponent that can best you.

This is a theme carried into the sequels, as well. As maligned as they are, they at least, tonally, carry on from where the original ended. Macho cop, tough guy mercs, and all manners in between meet their matches at the blades of superior hunters and warriors. Predator and prey become one. Shane Black, though, fondly remembers the insanely quotable helicopter flight of the original and hamfists a typical alien plot into what seems like a skeleton for Lethal Weapon 5. Gone are the caricatures of the ubermensch, torn to shreds through their own arrogance, and replaced are wise-cracking buddy cops...who happen to be fighting an alien menace.

They made that movie. It's called I Come in Peace, alternatively titled Dark Angel. It's cheesy sci-fi/action schlock. It's also a better movie.

This isn't all bad, though. With a few tweaks of the script? This easily could have matched the original, even with some of the more awkward parts left intact. Keegan-Michael Key's character Coyle, particularly his relationship with Thomas Jane's Baxley, has some of the most truly emotional moments in the entire series, including the AVP crossovers and, by extension, the Alien series. They served together in Iraq, bad things happened, and they're the only survivors, wracked with guilt over everything. One of them even has panic attacks, which should have been explored even greater to truly put a modern spin on what the original achieved.

As it is? There's been far worse movies released this year, even within the past month. For everything great that we get there are two worse parts surrounding it. For everything downright awful (like the complete fucking waste of Sterling K. Brown)? There's one or two truly fun moments that make you glad to be around. Even the dreaded autistic son discovering how Predator tech works is handled brilliantly, but everything else surrounding that character is borderline shit.

6/10

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:04 pm 

Brick is to Film Noir what Juno and Garden State are to romantic comedy. I dislike these films but I can see the appeal.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:57 pm 

I also saw The Predator. Like I said in my reaction to the trailer, it looked like it would be complete dogshit but then I somehow formed some inkling of hope about it in my mind and tried to go in without many expectations.

However, about 20% into the movie I was getting really irritated with it. Dumb callbacks, groan-inducing characters, nonsensical plot elements, basically just asking to be compared to the first movie in every regard but coming up totally short on all fronts. However there was one scene where
Spoiler: show
the predator cuts a guy's arm off in the back of a van and when the driver asks if everything's ok back there, the predator sticks the severed arm through the opening to the cabin with the hand on it giving a thumb's up
, and basically from then on I was like, "ok fuck it, this is just some silly fuckin' nonsense" and I actually started liking it in spite of everything that was dumb about it. So yeah, don't go in expecting some sort of brilliant new take that gets everything about Predator and does the franchise justice or anything, but as a big dumb action-comedy it worked well enough.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:59 pm 

Terrifier wasn't good, but it wasn't bad either. The story was super one dimensional and made really no sense, but yet the director didn't really go out of his way to make it very comedic either, despite a few parts. Ultra fucking gory. I think there was a kind of classic-horror sensibility about this, with the aesthetics and way it was shot, that made it enjoyable in a dumb way. Shame it didn't have a better story to go along with it. But the first 30 minutes or so were fun before it got too repetitive. It had a kind of conviction to it that I respected in a weird way; it didn't half-ass any of its gore and didn't feel like something poorly done or lazy, in spite of the flimsy writing.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:52 pm 

Oh man, is Upgrade the best cyberpunk film since Strange Days? Not as good of course, but the fact it can even be mentioned in the same sentence as that masterpiece certainly speaks to its quality. Insane for $3 million bucks.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:16 pm 

Never heard of it, did it get a theatrical release?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:17 pm 

I saw The Predator. I sort of agree with Batman's assessment of it. It's not the best thing out there, and I certainly went in expecting nothing, but I thought it was alright. Two scenes got a laugh out of me: the one that Batman said and
Spoiler: show
when the Tourette's guy says "fuck me in the face with an aardvark".

The movie could've gone either way in regards to the main squad but I think it was held together. Just.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:53 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Never heard of it, did it get a theatrical release?

Limited, I think, it's a low-ish budget Blumhouse picture. You and failman would love it, but I'll be honest, I'd have much rather heard you do the music than whoever they got.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:54 am 

Upgrade was very solid but kinda fell apart toward the end. With a tighter ending and maybe a few better casting choices it would've been amazing. I'll say one thing for damn sure: Logan Marshall Green has been atoning for Prometheus very well between this and The Invitation.

darkeningday wrote:

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:43 am 

I will just focus on movies released this year that I have watched over the past few months:

Peppermint 9/10 - Relentless action thriller with quite brutal fighting scenes and a quite elevated body count, reminds me of a feminist version of John Wick

Mandy 9/10 - Surreal art house horror movie with numerous references to classics of the seventies and eighties and a brilliant Nicolas Cage

Assassin's Revenge 4/10 - A train wreck of a movie but entertaining in a way that comes close to Tommy Wiseau

Big Brother 9/10 - Mixture of social drama and action film with a versatile performance by Donnie Yen

Europe Raiders 8/10 - Fast-paced action thriller that goes back to Hong Kong cinema of the late eighties and early nineties

The Island 8/10 - Chinese survival drama with some social criticism that mixes humorous, sad and sinister elements

Isle of Dogs 8/10 - Easily the best animation film I have seen this decade with cool stylistics and a profound story

Mile 22 6/10 - Boring first half, highly entertaining second half but no conclusion and hints to a possible sequel

Slender Man 6/10 - Entertaining teenager horror movie that is better than its reputation but seriously lacking scary elements

Champion 10/10 - Korean sports drama about an arm wrestler, best movie of the year so far

A or B 10/10 - Twisted Chinese psycho thriller with stunning plot including numerous twists

Papillon 5/10 - Unnecessary remake that adds nothing at all to the great original version

Bonus: I watched The Terror television series, based upon one of my very favorite novels, Dan Simmons' The Terror. This series is absolutely outstanding. Atmosphere, history and mystery are perfectly balanced in a bleak tale of terror.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Oh man, is Upgrade the best cyberpunk film since Strange Days? Not as good of course, but the fact it can even be mentioned in the same sentence as that masterpiece certainly speaks to its quality. Insane for $3 million bucks.

I liked this a lot also. Every time the computer took over alone was worth the $5 I spent to watch this. The technology in the movie was fun, also.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:15 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Strange Days is one of my favorite sci-fi movies, so you definitely got my interest.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:37 am 

The more I think about The Predator the more I hate it, haha. I think if I had watched it at home instead of at the theater the flaws would've been way more apparent and annoying.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:37 am 

Finally watched Infinity War. Wow, just wow.

So many moments where I was genuinely amazed, so so good. I don’t know anything about Marvel other than the films so no idea how the comics go, but I’m so excited to see what happens next!

9/10 for me

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
The more I think about The Predator the more I hate it, haha. I think if I had watched it at home instead of at the theater the flaws would've been way more apparent and annoying.

Not to keep going off on it, but you're not wrong. It's just such a tonal shift for the series. I've jokingly been calling it the Jaws 3 of the franchise with a friend, and I think that's a good description: self-parody of the series that then tries to take itself seriously.

And that epilogue...I understand the big things right now are tentpoles and shared universes, but you didn't need that. This has already had a shared and expanded universe for 25 years, one that's done a solid job understanding itself and maintaining a cult fanbase because of it.

darkeningday wrote:

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:19 am 

Speaking of Jaws 3, when I was a kid, I utterly despised that movie; I thought it was by far the worst of the series, worse even than Jaws: The Revenge. But since I've gotten older (I won't say 'since I've become an adult', because adulthood isn't much evident in my approach to life), I've found that I can at least sit through Jaws 3, but I can hardly make it through 10 minutes of Jaws: The Revenge. Those scenes in the former that were supposed to be 3-D, though, are hilariously bad.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:42 pm 

I mean, I'm of weak will, so I think the RLM review of The Predator really brought a lot to light (though there were really ridiculous plot holes that they didn't even bring up). Lots of the comedy was just dumb and bad and dated, and felt like stuff an edgelord 14 year old would have written in 1997. But they made up a conspiracy theory/explanation that kind of makes sense: Shane Black and his buddy either thought it would be funny to write the dumbest possible script for a Predator movie and see if it would still make a billion dollars globally, OR they made a decent movie that got so fucked up by production meddling that they just decided to make it stupid as fuck in reshoots (like the entire last act).

One other hilarious point they made was that all of the parts with Keegan-Michael Key felt a lot like those clips they have at the Oscars where they insert the comedian host digitally into pieces of real movies to have dumbass jokey lines in them, except he was inserted into a Predator movie instead. They also rightfully eviscerated Olivia Munn's character for making no goddamn sense.

I skipped most of it to avoid spoilers but at least the other movie in the same review (Mandy) really sounds pretty great, so I'm excited to check that out.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:13 pm 

I hope I end up enjoying Mandy more than I liked the director's previous movie Beyond the Black Rainbow. That was a case where the interesting visuals weren't enough to offset how slow and dreary I found it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 711, 712, 713, 714, 715, 716, 717 ... 818  Next