Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:37 pm 

Speaking of old musicians dying, Charles Aznavour died today too. He was 94. I didn't even know he was still around, but apparently he gave his last concert two weeks ago. Gotta admit, that's baller.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 am 

Sunday, I had the worst moving experience I've ever had. The movers were an absurd five hours late, then it took about six of them five more hours to actually move all our shit into the new house. We didn't get finished until about 11 in the evening, at which point, if I could immolate people with my mind, the street would have been dotted with their charred remains.

They broke my deep freezer, smashed the lid so it doesn't fucking seal anymore.
They broke a set of shelves.
They damaged an end table.
They damaged a dresser.
They damaged my couch, which they failed to get into my house.
They tore a sheet.
They broke a light bulb in the garage.
They damaged the exit sign in the apartment building we moved out of.

At the end, the owner said he'd only charge us for two hours, but what the fuck? We documented so many other issues that I don't want to pay them at all, because this was the most bullshit I've ever seen.

Three years ago, my son and I moved into the apartment and we had Two Men and a Truck do the moving. Those two fucking guys moved more stuff in less time and they didn't break or damage a single fucking thing.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:40 pm 

Hopefully you researched their business and looked for reviews first. I used to work as a mover, that shit sucks.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:35 am 

rexxz wrote:
Hopefully you researched their business and looked for reviews first. I used to work as a mover, that shit sucks.

My girlfriend met the owner at her job and he gave her a card and promised a discount. I would have just used Two Men and a Truck again, because those guys know what the fuck they're doing.

Last night, by myself, I moved the couch from the connected garage into the downstairs living room. I didn't have to navigate stairs, they're on the same level, just a two perpendicular doorways in a tiny hallway. A feat three of the movers said was impossible because they couldn't do it. I stacked the odds by removing one part of the couch that could be easily accessed (middle cushion folds down with a table), took down two doors, and cleaned the hallway of any obstacles.

Those movers fucking sucked. They appear to have a 4/5 rating on Google, so apparently that's some bullshit.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 pm 

Peggy Sue from the Buddy Holly song died yesterday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/re ... as-n915961

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:25 am 

Cogumelo Records has very good bands on their label.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:08 pm 

Any Stereolab fans here? This shit has been spellbinding me lately.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:47 pm 

I really like and prefer their early droning krautrocky stuff, especially their Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements album. Real cool shit that never gets old. Their later future-lounge-pop-jazzy stuff I have to be in the right mood for. That Cobra and Phases album is real daunting, but kinda rewarding since there's lots of cool stuff going on within it. Haven't checked out anything after Sound Dust, not sure if I'm missing anything or not; I should check them out someday.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:40 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
future-lounge-pop-jazzy stuff

This sound is for me! Where would I start?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
I really like and prefer their early droning krautrocky stuff, especially their Transient Random Noise Bursts With Announcements album. Real cool shit that never gets old. Their later future-lounge-pop-jazzy stuff I have to be in the right mood for. That Cobra and Phases album is real daunting, but kinda rewarding since there's lots of cool stuff going on within it. Haven't checked out anything after Sound Dust, not sure if I'm missing anything or not; I should check them out someday.

Sound Dust was the first thing that caught my eye and it's my favorite I've heard so far. Super layered, enveloping, misty sort of ambiance there. Though I also just got Emperor Tomato Ketchup which is pretty banging and much rockier than the other shit I've heard. Every album is just like this surreal bizarre dream.

The Cobra Phases one I'm probably getting tomorrow once I get a paycheck. The songs I heard were very intriguing.

Trashy Rambo - Try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBE4Dsgzdk

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:
future-lounge-pop-jazzy stuff

This sound is for me! Where would I start?

Their Dots and Loops album is pretty much the benchmark album of that style. It's like clinking martini glasses with a Twiggy-bot under a glass dome.

Empyreal wrote:
The Cobra Phases one I'm probably getting tomorrow once I get a paycheck. The songs I heard were very intriguing.

Cobra Phases is like their "Tales From Topographic Oceans". Sprawling, ambitious and full of ideas, yet arguably padded and weighted down by self-importance. Some think it's their boldest statement, others thinks it's when they 'lost the plot'. I really dig it, but it didn't click right away except for certain songs like "Blips, Drips and Strips". A grower for me.

EDIT:
Emperor Tomato Ketchup was my introduction to them. That one and Mars Audiac Quintet hit that cool middle-ground between the early noisy stuff and the space-lounge later music, thus they both sound like a weird strain of indie-rock with better-than-average chops. I like ETK more, as it's more interesting yet generally catchier (except "Ping Pong" from MAQ is probably the catchiest lounge-rock thing they've ever done). Every time I hear "The Noise of Carpet", the "ba-da-da" background singing gets stuck in my head for days to an extent that I sometimes mumble that nonsense out loud without realizing it.
Still, for me nothing beats Transient Random... and Peng, that's some krautrock shoegaze madness that fucking grooves!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 am 

I'll have to hear those really early ones. I've heard some of their Switched On old compilation material and that was something. Not really used to that style but I could definitely get into it - the hypnotic yet rocking grooves and repetitiveness. They have a three-disc compilation out I could snag of those Switched On ones that apparently came out recently.

By the way, get Cavern of Anti Matter's Hormone Lemonade if you haven't - later project of some members. It's all instrumental and just beats with layered synths and other stuff forming this mesmeric sound. Pretty fucking awesome.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am 

^Sure thing, with a name like that I'm already sold. I actually want to revisit Sound Dust now; it's been a long time since I've heard it and suddenly now I'm in the mood for it.
Haven't heard this group brought up in years.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:09 am 

Sound Dust was just in line with other pop stuff I've liked, like Wolf Parade and Father John Misty in more recent years, so I ate that one up. It was a good intro to the other, weirder stuff they do. Lots of floaty, textured melodies, some extra instruments adding even more flavor to the sound, weird but catchy, intriguing vocal lines, etc.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:45 am 

EDIT: Wrong fucking topic. Please continue.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am 

Nah, Savatage, Stereolab, in the end it's all the same, man. :thumbsup:

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 am 

Okay, hah!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:39 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Cogumelo Records has very good bands on their label.

Did you know cogumelo means "mushroom" in portuguese?

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:07 am 

What the fuck is this guy blithering about

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:57 am 

We have a cat now. My girlfriend adopted a 10-year-old cat who's meow sounds like a rusty crank being turned on a foggy night. Her name is Georgia, and we figure it's too late to change her name. She spent almost no time hiding, and instead explored the house, and then just settled down all chill. Like she knew she was home.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:55 pm 

So rather than necro an old thread, I suppose I can ask it here: does anyone know what happened to Coroner putting out a new album? I remember a lot of talk about it a couple years ago, they released a boxset/compilation of some sort, new material was implied to still be on its way, but I have not heard a peep since. I imagine it has been cancelled but was any official explanation put out? Was the boxset the new material and that not conveyed properly, did they start on new songs and it fall through, etc.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:00 am 

Motorhead is the equivalent of masculinity and Jim Beam.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:49 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

I thought Jack Daniel's was Lemmy's drink of choice?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm 

Now this is interesting...

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:59 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

I thought Jack Daniel's was Lemmy's drink of choice?

Damn! You're right. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Lemmy supposedly drink a bottle of Jack Daniel's everyday for about 30 years?

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:35 am 

StainedClass95 wrote:
So rather than necro an old thread, I suppose I can ask it here: does anyone know what happened to Coroner putting out a new album? I remember a lot of talk about it a couple years ago, they released a boxset/compilation of some sort, new material was implied to still be on its way, but I have not heard a peep since. I imagine it has been cancelled but was any official explanation put out? Was the boxset the new material and that not conveyed properly, did they start on new songs and it fall through, etc.

They're still on. They just work very slowly. Apparently Marky will be involved as well, not playing but doing something with the lyrics/cover/aesthetics? Something for sure. Don't hold your breath just yet for a release date but they will release an album eventually, that's the status as of August this year, when I had a chance to talk to them a bit.

Psychotic Waltz are in the same boat. Eventually we'll get an album. Toxik. Vektor. Seems like proggy/technical metal takes its sweet time :P

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:59 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
StainedClass95 wrote:

They're still on. They just work very slowly. Apparently Marky will be involved as well, not playing but doing something with the lyrics/cover/aesthetics? Something for sure. Don't hold your breath just yet for a release date but they will release an album eventually, that's the status as of August this year, where I had a chance to talk to them a bit.

Psychotic Waltz are in the same boat. Eventually we'll get an album. Toxik. Vektor. Seems like proggy/technical metal takes its sweet time :P

I was gonna add Aftermath to that list, but at least they posted a song a week ago:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/vi ... 1&t=122309

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:39 pm 

Watch the Coroner documentary, guys. It's on YouTube and it does show much of a part Marky was... it's not surprising that without their lyricist things might take longer. Also, they've probably got Tom G Warrior whispering how if their come back does live up to Monotheist it'll be a failure. :P

Of course, Coroner are a great, unique band - so I'd really like them to take their time rather than going the Surgical Steel/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/dross/dross/Andy-Sneap-produced-an-approximation-of-"whatthefanswant" stuff.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:29 pm 

Seen it and recommend it too! :) I spent a lot of the past year and a half with Coroner stuff, getting ready or the gig. I like how it's not even really polished and you get to hear their sincere reflections on the band and their history. Tom Warrior is my love/hate adorable metal figure. That's one of the love moments! I think he meant it as a compliment to the band really.

Since Tommy is an experienced producer himself I am confident they will not rush things. You can tell they are super-aware of not cheapening the reunion.

By the way, I love Surgical Steel and the Carcass comeback in general. They have the "2 parts Heartwork, half Necroticism, a pinch of Swansong" thing (!) down really well. Above all they wrote good songs, at least I found them really good.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
By the way, I love Surgical Steel and the Carcass comeback in general. They have the "2 parts Heartwork, half Necroticism, a pinch of Swansong" thing (!) down really well. Above all they wrote good songs, at least I found them really good.

Indeed, I revisited it a few months ago and it all sounded really solid and fresh to me, "A Congealed Clot of Blood" is the only even remotely so-so song on there. I don't look it as a "what the fans want" album, either...I think it's safe to say Carcass are one of the most garishly ripped-off & imitated bands in the entire history of metal, certainly in extreme metal, so I saw Surgical Steel as more of a middle-finger to the copycats, reaffirming their legacy basically and telling everyone "this is how it's done", sort of a jumping off point for the second generation of their career, I guess. The point is, it felt organic and natural to me, and not forced in an attempt to appeal to some market.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 am 

I really loved Symphonies of Sickness and Necroticism. Haven't heard Surgical Steel yet but I'm going to check it out pretty soon.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:16 pm 

Just realized Believer too fit the category of proggy/technical bands taking their time. In 2017 they released three singles called 1 of 5, and so on, but the supposed fourth and fifth have not been posted.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm 

true_death wrote:
Indeed, I revisited it a few months ago and it all sounded really solid and fresh to me, "A Congealed Clot of Blood" is the only even remotely so-so song on there. I don't look it as a "what the fans want" album, either...I think it's safe to say Carcass are one of the most garishly ripped-off & imitated bands in the entire history of metal, certainly in extreme metal, so I saw Surgical Steel as more of a middle-finger to the copycats, reaffirming their legacy basically and telling everyone "this is how it's done", sort of a jumping off point for the second generation of their career, I guess. The point is, it felt organic and natural to me, and not forced in an attempt to appeal to some market.

I remember enjoying Surgical Steel, or thinking I enjoyed it, when it first came out. Didn't take long to realise I was pretty much just listening to Captive Bolt Pistol-- which is still a fantastic song-- and the rest just weren't doing it for me. I always liked their first couple of albums over Swansong and Heartwork, though, and Surgical Steel was definitely more in the realm of the latter two.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:47 pm 

@Dungeon Vic: Thanks for that update, I'm glad to hear that a new Coroner album is still coming.

Surgical Steel is a roughly average album, no more or less. If you enjoy Carcass, particularly Heartwork and Necroticism, then you will like it. The songwriting is not of the same caliber, but it is in that vein.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 pm 

I'll never understand why nearly all reissues of Sin After Sin since 2000 have a live version of Jawbreaker from 1984 as a bonus track.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:

Sound Dust was the first thing that caught my eye and it's my favorite I've heard so far. Super layered, enveloping, misty sort of ambiance there. Though I also just got Emperor Tomato Ketchup which is pretty banging and much rockier than the other shit I've heard. Every album is just like this surreal bizarre dream.

Trashy Rambo - Try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBE4Dsgzdk

Oh yeah, this is definitely something I can get behind. "Future-lounge-pop-jazzy stuff" makes me think of Goldfrapp, which I really need to get back to one of these days. Felt Mountain is really just a masterpiece.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:12 am 

New Cosmic Atrophy album teaser, plus artwork, title and tracklisting (track list is in the video info tag on the youtube page) reveal!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:54 pm 

This label have the price of 666 dollars each for all their releases on Bandcamp... Do they even want to sell stuff? Or maybe that's their way of protesting the digital age.

https://templeofmystery.bandcamp.com/

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:57 pm 

Many labels on bandcamp specifically do that to sell physical media, since that site won't allow you to set a non-zero but also "not for free" price for items. If they allowed you to add an album just for streaming purposes without allowing downloads or purchases of the digital album, they likely would just do that instead.

As for that label specifically, I have no idea. It's just my guess since I've seen it done that way and for that reason many times before.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:21 pm 

Arto Paasilina died yesterday. RIP.
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189 ... 332  Next