Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MayanWarrior86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:52 am 

Yo Marcohateshipsters, I just checked out your site and that band Black Viper. I was absolutely floored by that band, thanks for writing that post. It might be one of my favorites for this year.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:18 am 

Come at me with the ultimate best Agent Steel inspired new bands! I already know of Black Cyclone!

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:23 am 

Marcohateshipsters wrote:
Did anyone else catch the silly 5-6 seconds where Sacral Rage count to our death in the new track? Takes away from what is otherwise 100% a killer song. Sounds like Greek Sesame street to me LOL

The guy from toiletovhell did! You stole his line! :P

http://toiletovhell.com/review-sacral-r ... al-echoes/

Black Viper is AWESOME.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Did anyone else catch the silly 5-6 seconds where Sacral Rage count to our death in the new track? Takes away from what is otherwise 100% a killer song. Sounds like Greek Sesame street to me LOL

The guy from toiletovhell did! You stole his line! :P

http://toiletovhell.com/review-sacral-r ... al-echoes/

Black Viper is AWESOME.

BW is a very, very good friend of mine! I actually helped get him into this sound years ago via my reddit guides/primers. I even helped him proof-read that very review ;). He has a reviewer's promo of that album and mentioned this to me so I was on the lookout for it when the actual song came out haha.

Black Viper is indeed great, still holding up to repeated listens.

MayanWarrior86 wrote:
Yo Marcohateshipsters, I just checked out your site and that band Black Viper. I was absolutely floored by that band, thanks for writing that post. It might be one of my favorites for this year.

Thanks for checking out my site! Glad you liked Black Viper man - can't stop singing their praises!

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Come at me with the ultimate best Agent Steel inspired new bands! I already know of Black Cyclone!

Check out the band we're talking about now - Black Viper fit this mold very well! If you aren't super deep in the scene then some others are: Helstar - First 4, Exciter - first 3, Abattoir -Vicious Attack, Savage Grace - Masters of Disguise, After the Fall from Grace, Flotsam and Jetsam - Doomsday for the Deceiver. Some newer bands like this: Vulture, Black Viper, Encyrcle.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 pm 

Sorry to double post here, but I think this warrants its own post. Did you guys check out the new Outlaw song?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiYpzKych4Y

Their demo was so so so good - lots of Judas Priest. This one is basically Judas Priest meets US Power metal from what I'm hearing. This song is addicting! Their album comes out late next month, I think it's going to be a late addition to top 10 lists if the rest of the songs are this good.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:14 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Here's a few others I feel are inspired by them.

Allagash - Allagash ~ Canadian Encounters
Armory - World Peace... Cosmic War
Masters of Disguise - The Savage and the Grace ~ Alpha / Omega
Chevalier - A Call to Arms

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:34 am 

So I've been enjoying Dio's Lock up the Wolves lately and I'm looking for similar rocking bluesy stuff. I guess Black Sabbath's Seventh Star could get compared to it, but I find that one to be a bit too ''cheesy'' (for a lack of better term) at times, even if it has its moments.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:58 pm 

Hey, this Black Viper band is legit. They, along with Demon Bitch and Sumerlands, really capture that old 80s feel in both production and writing - a great unholy marriage of elements. This is some primal, savage shit and I dig it.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:31 am 

BW is a very, very good friend of mine! I actually helped get him into this sound years ago via my reddit guides/primers. I even helped him proof-read that very review ;). He has a reviewer's promo of that album and mentioned this to me so I was on the lookout for it when the actual song came out haha.

That's OK! I knew about the toiletovhell reference because Dimitris told me, hahaha! And I helped proof read the lyrics of SR, although that was very late in the process, so they just fixed some in the booklet.

Empyreal: that whole Norwegian region, comprised of youngsters growing up with Fenriz as their music mentor have produced some real primal, savage shit as you put it (well put indeed!). The focus is on thrash, death and speed but they are now putting out a lot of heavy metal as well and it's all very good. It's a place to keep in mind. Ι'm waiting for Flight and Torpedo albums to see what they come up with.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

That's OK! I knew about the toiletovhell reference because Dimitris told me, hahaha! And I helped proof read the lyrics of SR, although that was very late in the process, so they just fixed some in the booklet.

Empyreal: that whole Norwegian region, comprised of youngsters growing up with Fenriz as their music mentor have produced some real primal, savage shit as you put it (well put indeed!). The focus is on thrash, death and speed but they are now putting out a lot of heavy metal as well and it's all very good. It's a place to keep in mind. Ι'm waiting for Flight and Torpedo albums to see what they come up with.

I love it - just a bit silly but I can't wait for the full thing to drop.

It makes sense to me that Black Viper are a little bit more primal. Their founder is the drummer for Deathhammer and he's partnered with the guitarist for Obliteration/Nekromantheon, so these guys have their chops across all genres.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:16 pm 

Me and my friends here, we love that whole scene region. We were joking about doing a festival with them, we'll bring 8 people from Norway, which should make about 5 bands! :P

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:38 pm 

All this Black Viper love got me beamin'! I knew you guys would dig them. I haven't heard the LP yet. I adoooore the cover art. Reminds me of Sepultura's debut mixed with The Sun of Tiphareth. I was honestly surprised it wasn't a Verwimp cover. The total runtime and some individual song lengths threw me off a little, but everything I heard on their demo indicates that they know how to keep your attention locked in. I can't wait to get a copy for myself.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:37 pm 

I also picked up Black Viper, thanks! And I just discovered this classic gem is now available on Bandcamp:

https://scavenger1985.bandcamp.com/album/battlefields

Supposedly they just reformed with a young, female singer. Interesting!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:23 pm 

The Black Viper LP is even better than I imagined. Suspiria goes sooooo hard. Love hearing a few familiar tracks from rhe demo worked in as well. They carried off the runtime like nobodies business.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:25 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Me and my friends here, we love that whole scene region. We were joking about doing a festival with them, we'll bring 8 people from Norway, which should make about 5 bands! :P

Haha they really are involved in a lot of stuff. Is Up the Hammers not good enough of a fest for you guys?? Pretty jealous of the activity and dedication of the Greek scene... always felt to me like you guys appreciate our bands more than we do (to our shame).

New Ironflame dropped today. It's even better than the debut IMO, already gave it 3x listens or so. More consistent, only a couple of somewhat weak songs. Opener is kind of weak, but overall Andrew has a really nice sound with this one. Check it out here guys: https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/al ... and-sorrow

Vinyl limited to 300 copies with no plan for a repress, so pick it up fast if you're interested! The debut sold out fast and is being scalped nowadays. US/Canada only unfortunately.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:11 pm 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoZeQqYn6xQ ... adigan1020

Radigan posted that on his IG. NEW MAGIC CIRCLE SOON!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:54 pm 

Never heard of this band until today... BUT HOLY CRAP!!! Nevermind the "very Queen Of The Reich-ish riff" but this singer was amazing, and guitarist was phenomenal

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:13 am 

Metantoine wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoZeQqYn6xQITjQTgsO4LXFb4wDNtj5aE-UU5o0/?taken-by=brendanradigan1020

Radigan posted that on his IG. NEW MAGIC CIRCLE SOON!

My Instagram is new so I just gave him a follow. Super exciting news! All of their stuff has been super tight and they're easily the best local band around. Shame they don't really play any shows though.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:28 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
Never heard of this band until today... BUT HOLY CRAP!!!

Kids these days... His (their?) first album from 1988 with Graham Bonnet is great.

If you like Rob Rock you need this, features Tony MacAlpine, Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:25 am 

Today marks 15 years since J.D. Kimball of Omen passed away. I wrote a small tribute in his honor here. Kimball was one of the most iconic vocalists in all of USPM and early Omen wouldn't be the same without him. I'm jamming the first 3 + EP on repeat in his honor today. Classic-era Omen just has this earnestness and pure authenticity to it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:26 pm 

I never got into the EP, but the first three albums are all golden. Omen were absolute masters and JD Kimball was their biggest asset.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:11 pm 

New Ironflame dropped today. It's even better than the debut IMO, already gave it 3x listens or so. More consistent, only a couple of somewhat weak songs. Opener is kind of weak, but overall Andrew has a really nice sound with this one. Check it out here guys: https://ironflame-music.bandcamp.com/al ... and-sorrow

Really stoked to listen to this soon, I've been digging the debut a lot lately. "Heavy Metal Warriors" is one of the best trad/power meta metal songs I've ever heard! Up there with "Heavy Metal is the Law".

New Magic Circle will be great I'm sure, but the most important news of the day is... a new Atlantean Kodex demo is out??? It's been added to the site, but limited to 12 copies so it's pretty unlikely anyone will get to hear it before the new record comes out. I don't think the White Goddess demo songs were ever spread online either. Just gonna have to make do with "Kodex Battalions" for now, just like last year. Hell, the EP that was supposed to have that song and the ditched Goddess acapella track never came about either.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:48 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Haha they really are involved in a lot of stuff. Is Up the Hammers not good enough of a fest for you guys?? Pretty jealous of the activity and dedication of the Greek scene... always felt to me like you guys appreciate our bands more than we do (to our shame).

Sorry, missed this! Up the Hammers is of course fantastic but it doesn't really focus on thrash and extreme metal, so the Norwegians would be too much. But yeah, Greece has a very active scene that doesn't really pay any attention to mainstream trends.

Now listening to the new Deathhammer (I LOVE them) and I am really liking it. I will look into the new Ironflame after, their debut was nice although I have to say that while Heavy Metal Warriors is a fine song with a very nice solo, it lacks the heaviness and speed and basically sheer passion of the Helloween classic mentioned. I would put it on par with Heavy Metal Universe maybe :P

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:02 am 

flexodus wrote:

Really stoked to listen to this soon, I've been digging the debut a lot lately. "Heavy Metal Warriors" is one of the best trad/power meta metal songs I've ever heard! Up there with "Heavy Metal is the Law".

New Magic Circle will be great I'm sure, but the most important news of the day is... a new Atlantean Kodex demo is out??? It's been added to the site, but limited to 12 copies so it's pretty unlikely anyone will get to hear it before the new record comes out. I don't think the White Goddess demo songs were ever spread online either. Just gonna have to make do with "Kodex Battalions" for now, just like last year. Hell, the EP that was supposed to have that song and the ditched Goddess acapella track never came about either.

I know this is a dumb, useless, and unverifiable statement, but I know someone who's heard this new material and I've heard it's very promising. The live song they were playing around a few shows was killer too so I totally believe it. A new Atlantean Kodex full-length is basically a shoe-in for AOTY whatever year it comes out.

Magic Circle full length in the near term seems like a super real possibility from those posts - that'll be killer as well. Radigan and co. are finally playing live shows again too so hopefully that means it's sooner than later.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:16 am 

USPM friends: teach me the ways of Jag Panzer.

I just bought tickets for ProgPower USA next year and they're playing there. I am familiar with the stellar Ample Destruction, and I also have The Scourge of the Light, which I'll need to revisit.

I'm looking to figure out what their next best albums are and what sort of stuff they're playing live. Is the new album any good?

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
USPM friends: teach me the ways of Jag Panzer.

I just bought tickets for ProgPower USA next year and they're playing there. I am familiar with the stellar Ample Destruction, and I also have The Scourge of the Light, which I'll need to revisit.

I'm looking to figure out what their next best albums are and what sort of stuff they're playing live. Is the new album any good?

Their second-best after Ample Destruction is probably Casting the Stones. Thane to the Throne is very good. Their other mid-period albums are all inconsistent - very high peaks (Iron Eagle is probably their single best song, for example) but lots and lots of filler.

The new album is aesthetically in the right place but there are only like two riffs per song and ultimately it's a pretty boring listen. I think Broderick is sorely missed, to be honest - the man had a knack for the occasional ultra-technical riff that could totally transform a song, and when you take that away what's left is kind of pedestrian.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:52 am 

Chris Broderick is a fucking bore of a guitarist. Technically impressive... but who cares? The Shadow Thief demos or whatever they were called are worth getting. After that, I dunno, get the two Titan Force albums. :P

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:05 pm 

Broderick is a strange phenomenon. One of the most technically proficient guitarists in the world, but he has never produced an interesting or listenable solo.
Therefore, the Tafolla albums are my favourites, great, great guitarist. The Fourth Judgement is fantastic! I really like Thane to the Throne too, perhaps because it's a well made concept album, and I love concepts albums.

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:22 pm 

I enjoy Mechanized Warfare, although it's a different sound than Ample Destruction. Their album just before the newest one is pretty stock standard power metal. The new one was pretty underwhelming to me.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:20 pm 

Opus wrote:
Broderick is a strange phenomenon. One of the most technically proficient guitarists in the world, but he has never produced an interesting or listenable solo.

This is definitely overstating it. There are plenty of good solos in Broderick-era Jag Panzer. He certainly misses on a good number of them, too, but his best ones are undeniably pretty cool.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm 

Boringlick was better in megadeth frankly, and his songwriting is very weak in his new band. I love how all technical players assume they are great songwriters.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:50 pm 

OK, it will obviously turn out very shitty but you can Google Translate this page, which is basically the article I wrote for Metal Hammer in 2011 about their discography when Jag Panzer called it quits. The good thing is I have links for the best songs in each album, which is useful :)

The first 2 are the masterpieces of the band, next 3 are the recommended releases. However, I was very new at the magazine so I went with popular consensus and the fact that Mark himself loves Thane to the Throne. My personal favorite, as noted in there, is The Fourth Judgement followed by Thane and Casting the Stones.

Basically, just avoid Dissident Alliance and you're good, they have a very solid discography.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:03 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
... but his best ones are undeniably pretty cool.

To elaborate a bit: Just about everything he plays is incredibly cool, it's just that I have never heard anything that adds to the song. Or even fits in with the song.
Most of the time the music/chord progression changes during his solos, so you could easily just cut them out and no one would even notice something is missing.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:43 am 

He did some cool stuff on Thane and Casting. A couple of good solos in Megadeth. That's about it. One of the most robotic and lifeless players I've seen live. And I will never tire of saying it, he butchered the solo on the Crucifix, one of my favorite moments in the song and he fucking changed the harmony (you can hear it in the Nail-spiked bat re-recordings). I hadn't heard that when I saw them live and it REALLY fucked up my trip, almost ruined the song for me and it's my fave off Ample...

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 pm 

I spoke with Michael Koch of Atlantean Kodex last weekend at Frost & Fire, and he said they're hoping for a 2019 summer/autumn release for the new album. He didn't say much else, but did mention that what they have done right now sounds really good and they're proud of it. Hopefully some more information becomes available in the coming months!

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:20 pm 

MammothRider wrote:
I spoke with Michael Koch of Atlantean Kodex last weekend at Frost & Fire, and he said they're hoping for a 2019 summer/autumn release for the new album. He didn't say much else, but did mention that what they have done right now sounds really good and they're proud of it. Hopefully some more information becomes available in the coming months!

Good to hear they are working on something, I absolutely loved The White Goddess and it feels like it has been forever since it was released. Keen to hear more material from them.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:26 am 

Cool. Atlantean Kodex is one of my favorite modern bands.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 am 

I think they're a fantastic live band, but the studio stuff seems stale in comparison. Honestly, they should record the new stuff live in front of a crowd of 1000 drunk Germans.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:13 pm 

Man EVERYONE sounds better in front of 1000 drunk Germans. It's like they all think they're gonna get graded on crowd participation at the end of the show. I mean, it's Germany, maybe they do.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:34 pm 

I'm really digging this new Hitten album. Or maybe I'm jut struggling with the almost four year gap between Enforcer albums. Either way, it scratches an itch pretty damn well.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 580, 581, 582, 583, 584, 585, 586 ... 624  Next