Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:27 pm 

He was in a pretty bad condition during his later years. Don't like all his books, but the best are truly the best. RIP.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:28 pm 

He was productive though. Collective Suicide (Swedish title) is great.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 am 

Happy cannabis legalization day, Canada.

Or something.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 am 

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:43 pm 

Why do so many people consider 'V - The New Mythology Suite' to be a weak Symphony X album? It's a masterpiece, and one of the most 'complete'-feeling things they've ever done. Russell Allen turns in his best vocal performance ever, the music is both heavier and more progressive than anything before it while still being pretty catchy, and the concept is interesting. My only minor complaint is that the production on the guitar is a little muddy, but that's such a small flaw compared to everything that's right about this disc. It's a real shame that they never play anything from this album live any more. Mike LePond seems sad about this, too, judging from how he responded when I asked him once before a show if they'd be doing any songs from 'V' and he said, 'No,' rather glumly. He also said that this is his favorite SX album, since it was his first with the band. So, a word to the rest of the band, since I'm sure they're awaiting my opinion with bated breath: give this album some live love!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm 

I love almost all SX albums, including that one. They are just a badass band in general with an extremely cool style that seems sort of by the numbers at first but a deeper listening/inspection reveals all of the unique things about them that set them apart from their peers.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:19 pm 

I adore Paradise Lost, and basically everything that came before is "very good" at worst. Though the last two albums haven't really resonated with me, they've been an incredibly consistent band as a whole.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm 

Can Lepond just write everything on their next one? He seems to be in a more creative headspace than Romeo these days.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:39 pm 

What is a point whore?

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:40 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
What is a point whore?

...and someone hasn't read the site rules.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:43 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:
What is a point whore?

...and someone hasn't read the site rules.

Ahh..apologize for that.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Why do so many people consider 'V - The New Mythology Suite' to be a weak Symphony X album? It's a masterpiece, and one of the most 'complete'-feeling things they've ever done. Russell Allen turns in his best vocal performance ever, the music is both heavier and more progressive than anything before it while still being pretty catchy, and the concept is interesting. My only minor complaint is that the production on the guitar is a little muddy, but that's such a small flaw compared to everything that's right about this disc. It's a real shame that they never play anything from this album live any more. Mike LePond seems sad about this, too, judging from how he responded when I asked him once before a show if they'd be doing any songs from 'V' and he said, 'No,' rather glumly. He also said that this is his favorite SX album, since it was his first with the band. So, a word to the rest of the band, since I'm sure they're awaiting my opinion with bated breath: give this album some live love!

I always thought it was the result of people listening to it shallowly - it's probably my favorite one they did. So gorgeous and textured and wild. Just seems to take their style the furthest it could go.

Most people seem to go for Divine Wings and The Odyssey, which I find good but weaker than some of their other albums, a bit less involved and focused more on the long-ending-track thing. Those ones always sounded a tad simpler and easier to get into, which isn't what I want from a band like this. V and Paradise Lost are probably my favorites overall as they exemplify the best aspects of the band's sound at both respective time periods.

But I agree with rexxz in that they're very consistent. Even Underworld, a rather weak album compared to a lot of their discography, has a few real barn burner tracks and they sounded super confident on it, so even that had a shitload of positives.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:48 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Can Lepond just write everything on their next one? He seems to be in a more creative headspace than Romeo these days.

I dunno the Romeo solo album released earlier this year is pretty good.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:52 pm 

:o

Holy hot damn, this is incredible. Unbelievably powerful and evocative. Wish I could have been there. I mean Jesus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzdhTGaWzec

My collection

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 am 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/ ... cal-clash/

This is pretty huge news, whether you're a Christian or not. I wasn't sure if I wanted to share it here, but in light of the earlier discussion on Orthodoxy we had here, it's relevant. In short, the Russian Orthodox Church has completely severed ties and cut communion with the Church of Constantinople over disagreements on whether or not the Ukrainian Orthodox Church should be autocephalous. (The Russians don't think so.) Obviously, this move is not only groundbreaking in a religious way but also in a political. I linked a good article on this at the top of this post; you can find others, but this story isn't getting quite the attention I think it deserves.

I'm anxious to see how this falls out. I especially invite Dungeon_Vic's thoughts on this.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:

Holy hot damn, this is incredible. Unbelievably powerful and evocative. Wish I could have been there. I mean Jesus...

:love:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:01 pm 

@Thiestru: my limited understanding of the structure of the Orthodox Church(es) leads me to believe the Ukrainian Church’s autocephaly is okay. There are historical precedents, in most of the national churches that emerged from the remains of the Ottoman Empire. These churches (Bulgaria, Serbia, Romania) all simply declared themselves autocephalous, and were eventually recognized by Constantinople. They call this principle “one bishop in one place”.

On the other hand, the it was the Patriarch of Moscow that granted auto status to the Russian Church in North America... so it could be argued that one Church has the power to grant or refuse independence to another that is/was part of its jurisdiction.

So both sides have a case. This will sound odd coming from a Catholic, but personally I like the independent local influence of Orthodox tradition. I just wish that hadn’t had to wind up subsumed under political nationalism, as having that stuff filter its way into the church environment feels inappropriate.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:

:love:

:thumbsup:

I love how this piece has been slightly altered to make it this harrowing, epic composition of menace, dread and power, with a hint of deep sadness. I honestly can't stop listening to it - it's perfection! Utterly beautiful also.

My collection

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:06 am 

Oh cool, glad to see the Orthodox church discussion come back. Truly a high water mark of thrilling content for the FFA so it's important that we don't let it die.

In much less exciting news, here's the weirdest thing I've stumbled across in a while.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 pm 

@iamntbatman: Would you have preferred I made a separate thread for this topic? Or simply not mentioned it at all? Amazing news: this thread is specifically for the open discussion of anything! I don't know why this subject bothers you so much, but you can ignore it, you know. If it's setting a high bar for FFA content you're concerned about, your smart-ass quipping certainly doesn't achieve that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:53 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Amazing news: this thread is specifically for the open discussion of anything!

Right, like making fun of boring shit!

If there had been any moderatorial (that's a word) action warranted, I would have, shocker, done some moderating!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:06 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Thiestru wrote:
Amazing news: this thread is specifically for the open discussion of anything!

Right, like making fun of boring shit!

If there had been any moderatorial (that's a word) action warranted, I would have, shocker, done some moderating!

Haha, all right, truce. It may be boring to you, but it isn't to others. It sparked this little disagreement, at the very least. ;)

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:34 am 

Thiestru wrote:
@iamntbatman: Would you have preferred I made a separate thread for this topic? Or simply not mentioned it at all? Amazing news: this thread is specifically for the open discussion of anything! I don't know why this subject bothers you so much, but you can ignore it, you know. If it's setting a high bar for FFA content you're concerned about, your smart-ass quipping certainly doesn't achieve that.

You should have posted it in the metal forum due to its clear links to Batushka.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:58 am 

I'll say that it is a very sad thing to happen but it is not as bad as it sounds. I, for example, will still be accepted and given communion in a Russian Church and vice versa. Russian bishops cannot participate in the liturgy with bishops from Constantinople. This is more church politics and as severzhavnost says it has to do with political and geostrategical reasons (namely Ukraine and the struggle between Russia and the West, the US and NATO desperately want a westernised Ukraine, you can read all about in the Grand Chessboard by Brzezinski, extremely interesting read, especially since it was published in 1997, that is BEFORE Putin). The Church has been used in the past and in the present as leverage and as a means to unify the people.

To be perfectly honest, altough I love Constantinople, I think the Russians are more right or since I really don't know the behind the scenes politics, it seems to me that the Russian Church's "demands" (not the best word for the occasion) should be taken into consideration.

This will eventually blow over I believe. But it is very sad to see. Nationalism is a very, very, very, very bad thing, a real cancer. I am a Christian first and Greek second. It's an anomaly the other way around and unfortunately many people don't get that.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:44 pm 

It seems to me to be a rather under-reported story. Granted, lots of things are under-reported in the US, and we're also in the middle of an election, but considering how much newfound interest Americans have found in Russian affairs lately it seems a bit odd to me.

Wyrmbane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:46 pm 

I did not expect this. Venom (Inc) is still sounding great in 2018!?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:13 pm 

And the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Department of Redundancy Department goes to...
The Peel District School Board!
Here they are mandating that To Kill a Mockingbird only be taught “through an anti-oppression lens”. https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/amp/2018/10 ... _23568332/
Because apparently, up until now the book had been read as a glowing promotion of racism? I guess I should have failed grade 10, because I read the book and did not turn out racist. :scratch:
There’s stating the obvious, and then there’s officially declaring the obvious as though it is necessary to the survival of our social fabric.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 pm 

That article was annoying to read on a number of levels.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am 

Are there any students of Latin here? I've just started studying Latin casually, on my own, just for fun. So far I love it. It's not my first delving into a foreign (or difficult) language; I learned Arabic in the Navy, and I've dabbled in a few other languages, Swedish most extensively and successfully. If anyone here knows Latin, could you point me in the direction of some good resources (preferably online ones)? I've got an old textbook that someone gave me, but it's not the best for solo study, although undeniably helpful.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:55 pm 

Radio station in Latin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuntii_Latini

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:31 pm 

That's a very interesting new custom title that I've been given. Never expected to see one. Whose idea was it? :p

Last edited by Midnightwards666 on Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:54 pm 

Oh hey guys, I'm just popping in to let you all know that Blasphamagoatachrist's Black Metal Warfare is one of my top releases of the year and y'all should listen to it. It's honestly way more exciting and way less generic than the title indicates hahaha

EDIT: The Autopsy-esque outro to the title track is THE tits!

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:25 pm 

What the fuck, Brazil??

:brick:
Fire walk with me"

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:59 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
What the fuck, Brazil??

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:04 pm 

Waltz_of_Ghouls wrote:
What the fuck, Brazil??

What do you mean? Electing a known admirer of the military dictatorship your country suffered under for 20 years is a GREAT idea!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:48 pm 

You know what's fun? Spending all day resting and preparing for 3rd shift, only to find out an hour into your shift that your shift's been cancelled for the day after the one employee you're there to watch over never came in. I could've enjoyed my rare day off, but oh no we can't have that.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:14 am 

I feel for you. Shift jobs are a lovecraftian path to madness :(

And speaking of path to madness: IBM acquired Red Hat. I feel a creeping chill down my spine

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:40 pm 

Hate Forest's Scythia is perfect for halloween and I shall listen to it at midnight. Pure Grimness. Only Grimness will be played.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:18 pm 

The Scythia demo is the best thing Hate Forest ever released.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 pm 

I saw Metallica last night. They were great and the stage show was impressive. The crowd was good, but I was a bit surprised by the lack of heavy metal culture.

Perhaps I take it for granted, but I love the atmosphere around metal shows, the people there, the aesthetics, the rituals, and everything else that goes with it. It felt kind of strange to be out of place having long hair, wearing all black and a band shirt at a Metallica show. I knew most of the audience would be dads, kids, and moms... but I expected to see at least, you know, some metalheads. Long hair, band shirts, or if I'm gonna lower the bar, at least some jeans that aren't relaxed fit. Half the crowd were wearing old Metallica shirts, I think I saw about half a dozen jackets/vests all with Metallica back patches, two Slayer shirts, and maybe three other band shirts, total. Maybe five guys with long hair. The only person to comment on my Paradise Lost shirt had just read John Milton in college and didn't know the band. :lol:

I chatted with dozens of people in a bar before the show. The usual conversation-starters were surprisingly awkward, as most people just hadn't been to other shows recently, listened to any other new albums, or even listened to albums... although I did learn that SiriusXM has a station that plays nothing but Pearl Jam 24/7. Seriously.

The show also didn't have any opening bands. The opening act was a lame wannabe hype man, a stand-up comedian who was not doing comedy, just trying to work the crowd like a pro wrestling heel who the crowd cheers when he gets knocked out with a folding chair (sadly, this didn't happen.) He told a few stories about meeting Metallica, looked for the oldest and youngest people in the crowd, and talked about how great Metallica were, interspersed with the PA blasting various hard rock songs. It would've been tolerable for a short time, but this act was 90 minutes, and started 90 minutes after doors opened. I'll appreciate every opening band from now on, knowing that I could be hearing someone hyping up a local radio station in the year old our phantom lord 2018. I'll appreciate everyone who has a story to tell about the last show they went to. There's a lot I'll appreciate, and Metallica kicked ass, especially Lars.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 332  Next