* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:22 pm 

SixGun wrote:
Blue Öyster Cult - The Black and White Trilogy

The first three BÖC albums are timeless hard rock/heavy psychedelic. Streetwise, creepy, menacing, but always with an oddball sense of humor.

What is the argument for BÖC's absence from the Archives?

Makes zero sense.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:08 am 

The Gun Club - Fire of Love

Absolutely magnificent. The birth of punk-blues. A delightful mix of Americana, roughness and despair.

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:20 am 

Rodman wrote:

Makes zero sense.

SixGun wrote:
rock

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:28 am 

arnvidr wrote:
Rodman wrote:

Makes zero sense.

SixGun wrote:
rock

That's not an argument. That's a designation - and myopic one, at that.

Between the music itself, the imagery/aesthetic, lyrical content etc, they are a major contributor to the development of heavy metal, and they deserve to be on the Archives.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:51 am 

I'd say the argument would be that hundreds if not thousands of rock bands from the 60s and 70s were major contributors to the development of heavy metal. If one is added then it's only fair that all of them are added. Then you might add rock bands who were major contributors to later eras of metal. It'd stop being a metal website if the line wasn't drawn somewhere.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:28 am 

DeadKid wrote:
I'd say the argument would be that hundreds if not thousands of rock bands from the 60s and 70s were major contributors to the development of heavy metal. If one is added then it's only fair that all of them are added. Then you might add rock bands who were major contributors to later eras of metal. It'd stop being a metal website if the line wasn't drawn somewhere.

This. A thousand times this. Where do you draw the line?

As for albums that are 100%:

Bad Brains - Bad Brains

Probably the best HC/punk album of all time. Ferocity, rage, energy plus absolutely stunning playing. The vocal histrionics add to the charm. Stunning stuff really.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:51 pm 

Yeah, it's the Metal Archives, not the Anything Influential to Metal Archives. BOC was important to the development of metal in the early days, as was Zeppelin and Blue Cheer and all the other usual suspects, but they never played metal themselves, ergo, no page here.

And for the record, I don't like the "selected exceptions" clause either, I think it just muddies the waters and makes it confusing. But I'm not in charge here, and either way it should be easy to understand what an exception is.

Back on topic though:
Rodman wrote:
Bad Religion - No Control

I've mentioned it a hundred times before and I'll say it a hundred times more: Bad Religion is my absolute favorite band in the universe and while I wouldn't give any of their albums 100% simply because I'm a pretentious twat, everything from Suffer thru Generator is an easy 95+% for me and I'd even throw The Gray Race and New Maps of Hell in that pantheon as well. Even their worst albums have some amazing songs on them. Yeah The Dissent of Man may be their worst overall but it still has fuckin The Resist Stance on it.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Yeah, it's the Metal Archives, not the Anything Influential to Metal Archives. BOC was important to the development of metal in the early days, as was Zeppelin and Blue Cheer and all the other usual suspects, but they never played metal themselves, ergo, no page here.

And for the record, I don't like the "selected exceptions" clause either, I think it just muddies the waters and makes it confusing. But I'm not in charge here, and either way it should be easy to understand what an exception is.

Back on topic though:
Rodman wrote:
Bad Religion - No Control

I've mentioned it a hundred times before and I'll say it a hundred times more: Bad Religion is my absolute favorite band in the universe and while I wouldn't give any of their albums 100% simply because I'm a pretentious twat, everything from Suffer thru Generator is an easy 95+% for me and I'd even throw The Gray Race and New Maps of Hell in that pantheon as well. Even their worst albums have some amazing songs on them. Yeah The Dissent of Man may be their worst overall but it still has fuckin The Resist Stance on it.

Bad Religion is also my favourite band of all-time, and I concur with everything you've said here.

You might dig my band, which is heavily influenced by BR, to the point of borderline plagiarism at times. We also recently recorded a pretty well received medley of I Want to Conquer the World & Modern Man for an Epitaph tribute comp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBf90w9X3OA

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:58 am 

To the like two people who listen to electropop here: Is Tove Styrke's album SWAY the best electropop album... ever? It's like if Robyn, Imogene Heap and Annie (and their producers ofc) all put the best they've ever done together, then condensed all of it to an 8 track, 26 minute album. It's literally perfect.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:06 am 

^ Electropop is aight when Alison Goldfrapp is singing over it.

Went back and became re-obsessed with 'Song and Legend' by Sex Gang Children, a top-down 100%er. All the best aspects of post-punk done with proper fury and intensity and an added dose of darkness. Every tune slays.

Also was just recently introduced to Shellac's 'Terraform' and had a transcendent listening experience. The music whisked me away to that singular place where I was listening intently but not listening at all...if you know what I mean. Wouldn't change a note 100% all the way.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:22 am 

This one I was pretty shaky on but as an album it is an EXPERIENCE and its mastery of moods and songcraft is among the best ever:

The Replacements - Let It Be

From jaunty, peaceful rock songs like the opener to the things that can only be described as wistful and majestic like "Androgynous". Westerberg was an amazing songwriter - his heart is always on his sleeve and it just shows. This emotion put into song form and to that I have to bow down.

Freeballin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:08 pm 

Misfits - Walk Among Us and Antiseen - Eat More Possum. 100% easy.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:19 pm 

That Misfits album is close to 100%. A hardcore-ish band whose strength lied in their melody and power-pop sensibility. Really something different. Plus the songs were just so catchy.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:06 pm 

Zdan wrote:
That Misfits album is close to 100%. A hardcore-ish band whose strength lied in their melody and power-pop sensibility. Really something different. Plus the songs were just so catchy.

Earth A.D. is also a genuine classic, IMO. It's largely ignored because it strays so far from their 50s-pop infused horror punk, but it's seminal hardcore/thrash (before crossover ever existed).

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:11 am 

I'll get the predictable one out of the way - Appetite For Destruction.

Sweet Oblivion by Screaming Trees. It's criminal how popular Nirvana became and how overlooked this album was. Melancholy without ever being self pitying, simple but catchy songs and of course Mark Lanegan's voice. Although I prefer AIC and Soundgarden, if grunge ever truly existed as a genre, then this album is the archetypal grunge album to my ears.

Earth vs The Wildhearts. This won't mean much to anyone outside of Britain or Japan but this album set me on the path to metal. It's sort of a combination of hard rock, punk, rock n roll and pop but with a bit of a metallic edge to it. They were plagued by drug issues and never came close to matching their debut. I once saw their bassist buying heroin at St Pancras station before I went to the 2000 play off final at Wembley.

They had Devin Townsend filling in on live duties for a time.

This is one of their punk songs:-

https://youtu.be/Mf8_56jlYNo

Their best song:-

https://youtu.be/ZkQ-Y8WLQv4

I've got to post a link to this one too:-

https://youtu.be/BC9zuwfeebw

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 am 

Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing
(I put FALAA on my initial 100% list but this one's just as good if not better just for the fact of being catchier and super riffy. The Sisters' hard rock/metal record.)

The Exorcist soundtrack (various)
(I just feel like this deserves a 100% for completely tramuatizing me as a child and introducing me to another side of music - the dark side - as a youngster. This was the first horror movie/soundtrack I ever saw/heard and everything from Tubular Bells to the Penderecki polymorphia to the marrying of the images with the sounds just totally warped my perception of sonic capability during my formative years.)

arnvidr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am 

Conan Troutman wrote:
Wildhearts stuff

Did you ever listen to the vocalist's solo stuff? Silver Ginger 5? Not quite as good as Wildhearts, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:30 am 

arnvidr wrote:
Conan Troutman wrote:
Wildhearts stuff

Did you ever listen to the vocalist's solo stuff? Silver Ginger 5? Not quite as good as Wildhearts, but I remember enjoying it a lot.

I must admit I haven't. By the time that came along I had moved on from that genre of music but I will always hold Earth vs in high esteem.

I haven't bothered with the Wildhearts newer material but I did go and see them live in 2013.

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:21 am 

darkeningday wrote:
To the like two people who listen to electropop here: Is Tove Styrke's album SWAY the best electropop album... ever? It's like if Robyn, Imogene Heap and Annie (and their producers ofc) all put the best they've ever done together, then condensed all of it to an 8 track, 26 minute album. It's literally perfect.

I like Kiddo so I will try this new one.

Edit: Also I'm enjoying this new trend of making short albums in the mainstream (<30 mins).

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:34 am 

Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

almost near damn perfect..

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:45 am 

Two movie soundtracks I've had for years, and still play very regularly -

Top Gun - I get some Kenny Loggins, Cheap Trick, and Harold Faltermeyer for my money.
Days of Thunder (aka NASCAR Top Gun) - Guns N' Roses, David Coverdale, Joan Jett.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 am 

Portishead - Dummy (1994) and Portishead (1997)

Not too much to be said here really. Dummy is one of the earliest trip hop albums and in my eyes, still one of the best. I'm bad at describing this kind of music so all I can say is that the beats and sampling are both... great. Well produced, simple yet evocative, creative, etc. etc. The vocal performance is a thing of beauty: the singing is gentle, emotive and fragile, complementing the noir-ish atmosphere of the music perfectly. While playing this in the car it was noted that despite its release date it still sounded incredibly fresh and cutting edge (as an aside, the track that was playing was 'It Could Be Sweet', a personal highlight) and I'd have to agree. It's stood the test of time as a landmark of a genre thanks to its ingenious construction.

And then there's the somewhat overlooked eponymous sequel. My praises for this album are largely similar to that of the debut, however changes are made that are also worth praising. The band see fit to make their music more dynamic. The beats are altogether thinner and grittier sounding, giving a much harsher, darker atmosphere and a more... textured sound, for lack of a better word. The music as mentioned has a noticeably different vibe to it despite retaining the noir angle, only now the band plays about with a greater emotional range, for instance the rather bitter-sounding opener 'Cowboys'. Beth's singing has also become more varied, with both quieter moments and usage of her higher register to better serve the increased range of the instrumentation. Seriously, take one listen to the singing on 'Undenied' for an example of that.

These weren't my first trip hop albums - that would be Blue Lines - but all I can say is that Massive Attack don't have shit on these guys, and I love Massive Attack's work.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 pm 

c

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:17 pm 

Augment by ERRA, my absolute favorite album of all time and in my opinion the greatest Metalcore/Djent album ever, to the point where it transcends its own genre into being so good that associating it with the garbage that litters the genre of Metalcore is doing it a disservice. I fully understand why ERRA is not the in archives--their songs are not riff-driven (usually) and rely on lots of mathy noodling and djent chugs--but in terms of technicality, song structure, and overall coherence this album can easily stand up to any good Metal album. Every song is entirely unique and has a coherent feel to it, despite usually not being riff-driven, the band knows how to tastefully use breakdowns, the album is packed with solos, the two vocalists are near-perfect (could use some more harsh lows/gutterals on Garrison Lee's side, though), the production is incredibly crisp without being stale, and the whole album is just really fucking good.

This album ends with a 7-minute long song with two guitar solos. How many Metalcore albums can say they do that?

The best thing about this album is that since it's the zenith of the Metalcore genre, if you like it, you never have to listen to another -core album again since it's all downhill from there, and if you don't like it, well you'll never like -core so you can just never listen to it again and know you aren't missing anything.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:20 pm 

Vadara wrote:
Augment by ERRA, my absolute favorite album of all time and in my opinion the greatest Metalcore/Djent album ever, to the point where it transcends its own genre into being so good that associating it with the garbage that litters the genre of Metalcore is doing it a disservice. I fully understand why ERRA is not the in archives--their songs are not riff-driven (usually) and rely on lots of mathy noodling and djent chugs--but in terms of technicality, song structure, and overall coherence this album can easily stand up to any good Metal album. Every song is entirely unique and has a coherent feel to it, despite usually not being riff-driven, the band knows how to tastefully use breakdowns, the album is packed with solos, the two vocalists are near-perfect (could use some more harsh lows/gutterals on Garrison Lee's side, though), the production is incredibly crisp without being stale, and the whole album is just really fucking good.

This album ends with a 7-minute long song with two guitar solos. How many Metalcore albums can say they do that?

The best thing about this album is that since it's the zenith of the Metalcore genre, if you like it, you never have to listen to another -core album again since it's all downhill from there, and if you don't like it, well you'll never like -core so you can just never listen to it again and know you aren't missing anything.

It's also one of my favorite albums ever. Definitely a 100%. I remember when the album was about to come out five years ago and I heard "Pulse" for the first time. I knew right then and there these guys were going to be top of the genre. Speaking of the last song on the album, "Dementia", it's probably one of my favorite songs ever.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:38 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Bjork - Homogenic

Absolutely This. My favourite Bjork record (And I love most of them a lot.)

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:08 pm 

)

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
cromags45
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:26 am 

Walk Among Us
Alabama Bloodbath
Appetite For Destruction
Apocalypse Dudes and pretty much the entire Turbo discography lol

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:09 am 

Do live albums count? Because strangers in the night by ufo is great especially for a live album. Great performances across the board.

iiix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:21 am 

Ferneyhough wrote:
Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation

Working my way through this, what a diamond in the rough. Fantastic.

Camel - Moonmadness
I like my prog calculated... this is less technical and more about aesthetic. 100%

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:11 am 

The new Daughters album gets a 100% from me. It's so haunting and claustrophobic at the same time. One of the best noise rock/hardcore (with a tinge of industrial) acts to come out for quite some time.

Frontierer's Unloved is one of those rare djent influenced album I actually enjoyed. I think it's cause of them leaning on the mathcore side of things with amazing electronic, laser effects that's set them apart from most other djent flavored bands.

Jpegmafia's Veteran - Amazing blend of trap, noise, and industrial. The amazing beat switches compacted in song, with odd samples and Peggy's angry verses created this blend of chaos, yet still sound so catchy. It's like Death Grip's The Money Store 2.0 but in trap music form.

Others include:

Converge - Jane Doe
Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity
Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Death Grips - The Powers That B
Death Grips - The Money Store
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Depeche Mode - Violator
Run The Jewels - RTJ2
David Bowie - Black Star
David Bowie - Hunky Dory
Street Sects - End Position
Danny Brown - The Atrocity Exhibition

Not 100% but within the high 90s:

Anything by Clipping really. Another amazing noise-rap group
Anything by Nine Inch Nails
Dinosaur Jr's earlier material
Denzel Curry - Taboo (But it's one of my favorite albums this year)
Sons of Kemet - Your Queen Is A Reptile (Angriest jazz album this year)
Death Grips - Steroids (I would've given it a 100 if it was broken down to multiple parts rather than one single song)

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:51 pm 

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....

not really 100% but worth checking...

James_1995
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:22 pm 

Tom Waits- Closing Time
Tom Waits- Rain Dogs
Dead Kennedys- Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Bob Dylan- Blood on the Tracks (heard Luca Guadagnino was adapting this into a film, interested in seeing how this turns out)
Charles Mingus- Blues & Roots
Miles Davis- Kind of Blue

SixGun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:59 pm 

I'd say this and their following album, From the Lions Mouth, are both 10/10s for me

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:10 am 

I used to listen to a lot of non-metal, generally post-hardcore and metalcore/deathcore stuff. Now I hate almost all of them. Except:

Dance Gavin Dance: Their last three or four records for me are perfect scores easily.
Thursday: Everything in their discography is something I can still launch into today, despite some fairly whiny vocals.
Dave Mathew’s Band: Everyday

PrincessScarlet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:32 am 

Don't think i'd give anything 100% but these do come close:

Discharge - Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing
Agnostic Front - Cause for Alarm
Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel
Death Grips - Exmilitary

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:37 am 

Rory Gallagher - Stage Struck

Infinitely more metal than any of his studio albums. This is PEAK Gallagher - a seamless set list, the perfect incarnation of his band, and the best I've ever heard his haggard Stratocaster wail.
This live album gives me a hard-on, makes me randy, makes me want to shit all over the place out of pure excitement in a feat that would make G.G. Allin proud.

Napalm_Satan wrote:
Portishead - Dummy (1994) and Portishead (1997)

Fuck yeah, I love me some Portishead. I also love seeing TV performances of them performing tracks off Dummy, very trance-inducing visually.
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:32 pm 

gestapothrash wrote:

Infinitely more metal than any of his studio albums. This is PEAK Gallagher - a seamless set list, the perfect incarnation of his band, and the best I've ever heard his haggard Stratocaster wail.
This live album gives me a hard-on, makes me randy, makes me want to shit all over the place out of pure excitement in a feat that would make G.G. Allin proud.

Have you heard the archive release that came out a while ago (Check Shirt Wizard - Live in '77)? Recorded on the UK 1977 tour and it's great.

There are tons of albums I'd give 100% to which aren't metal, here is a selection for starters:

Led Zeppelin - IV, Physical Graffiti
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Beatles - Abbey Road

gestapothrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:04 pm 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
gestapothrash wrote:

Have you heard the archive release that came out a while ago (Check Shirt Wizard - Live in '77)? Recorded on the UK 1977 tour and it's great.

Yeah I have, that's also a great cut
Imagine getting pounded on the side of the head with a rather average-sized brick approximately four times a second for a half-hour while a vacuum cleaner is turned to maximum volume in the background. That's Marduk for ya.

My Fukking Wantlist
My Fukking Collection

LithoJazzoSphere
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:07 pm 

I'm not sure about 100%, because it's hard to imagine something that's absolutely perfect, but I'd give high 90s ratings to some albums like:

John Coltrane - Giant Steps - the first true jazz album I heard in full and still my favorite almost two decades later, with Trane's rich, vibrant flowing textures.

Depeche Mode - Violator - a sumptuously nocturnal feast for the ears of electronic songcraft.

Elliot Goldenthal - Alien 3 expanded score - an endlessly enthralling mix of the most grotesque and most exquisitely beautiful music I've ever heard.

Hoedh - Hymnvs - an elegant and engrossingly hypnotic dark ambient modern classical masterpiece.

James Newton Howard - The Village soundtrack - same premise as the A3 score, but more slanted towards the sublimely resplendent due to Hilary Hahn's violin playing.

Methuen wrote:
Top Gun - I get some Kenny Loggins, Cheap Trick, and Harold Faltermeyer for my money.

The album is a bit too uneven for me to score it near 100, but the influence it had on my taste cannot be overstated, and I'd still consider it one of my favorite albums. It's one of a handful of fountains from which a good chunk of my taste springs, and of getting me into playing guitar.

jimbies wrote:
ambientsorrow wrote:
Bjork - Homogenic

Absolutely This. My favourite Bjork record (And I love most of them a lot.)

I have a hard time picking a favorite, but all of her 90s albums would rate...in the 90s, for me as well. Vespertine is '01, but I'd have it right in the mix as well.

iiix wrote:
Camel - Moonmadness
I like my prog calculated... this is less technical and more about aesthetic. 100%

Probably not 100% for me, but certainly into the 90s.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next