Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:02 am 

David Vincent - Vocals
Rune "Blasphemer" Eriksen - Guitars
Flo Mounier - Drums

"VLTIMAS has just been introduced by Season of Mist. The extreme metal formation, consisting of frontman David Vincent (ex-Morbid Angel), guitarist Rune 'Blasphemer' Eriksen (ex-Mayhem, Aura Noir, Ava Inferi) and drummer Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy), have completed the work on their debut album which is slated for release early 2019.

Rune Blasphemer Eriksen comments: "Feels like aeons ago since I last ventured into these musical shores, but alas, here we are. Its been an intense year and a half with lots of planning, hard work, personal sacrifice and yeah, traveling. I believe I speak for all 3 of us on this matter. Nevertheless, the beast has been summoned and recorded and I am overly confident about the outcome. Having had the opportunity to work with some of the finest of craftsmen in the genre, the level of experience speaks volumes. The mutual understanding, vision and drive, everything as if for a greater purpose. That's how the end result sounds like to me. A special thank you goes out to longtime partner in crime Michael Berberian and Season Of Mist for the immense belief in this entity, as well as my companion Jaime Gomez Arellano over at Orgone Studio (UK) for a job superbly done! We are VLTIMAS."
"

Source:
http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comme ... s_id=34486

Just a short clip:

Last edited by Dembo on Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:41 am 

This is intriguing. I just realized that between this project and that Nader Sedak album, he's worked with David Vincent and Steve Tucker. Neat.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:04 am 

Super groups never yield great albums.

Especially when the only really "super" musician here is the drummer.

Leader_OCola
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:10 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Especially when the only really "super" musician here is the drummer.

I'd say rarely, but not ... never...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:29 pm 

With egos like Vincent and Flo, prepare for Blasphemer to be completely overruled creatively.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:01 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

I'd say that's true for rock, but there are plenty of good death metal supergroups. Bloodbath, Murder Squad, Chaosbreed, Firespawn, Nader Sadek...all good bands.

As for this band, I'm interested but skeptical. On one hand, I consider David Vincent to be one of the most talented vocalists/frontmen in all of extreme metal, his performance and delivery on those early albums is absolutely top-notch, some of the greatest growling ever recorded...he had such a badass, commanding presence on those four albums which was so distinctive and unique, he was a real trendsetter for death (and also black) metal. It's obviously cool to see him back at it again playing extreme metal (I was actually hoping I Am Morbid would do originals :lol:). That said, I'm pretty iffy on his modern vocal style...he's nowhere near the Chris Barnes or Karl Willetts level of bad but he definitely doesn't have any grit or depth to his voice anymore and his delivery is lacking in the power & conviction that made his old work amazing. That said, perhaps this style will work better for this band than it did for those old MA songs...

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:04 pm 

seeing the thread title i figured this would probably suck, but that clip makes me cautiously optimistic

certainly an intriguing posse

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:30 pm 

That clip sounds boring.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm 

Sounds interesting. I like Vincent and Blaspheemer but dunno who the drummer is.

Anyone know why Blaspheemer left Mayhem?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:58 pm 

:lol: Blasphemer, always sounding a bit appologetic or uncertain about his endeavours. He kind of responded that way when I asked him about Aura Noir, too.

Actually think he is at this point the most creative musician in that group, but who knows -- not holding my breath anyway.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:26 pm 

BURlAL wrote:
Sounds interesting. I like Vincent and Blaspheemer but dunno who the drummer is.

Anyone know why Blaspheemer left Mayhem?

Flo is from Cryptopsy if you haven't already googled it. You've heard them I hope!

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:45 pm 

BURlAL wrote:

Three words, kiddo: None So Vile.

That track sounds poser AF. It's actually sad to see Blasphemer teaming up with those two fucking posers.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Adam Warlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:57 pm 

"Super groups never yield great albums.

Especially when the only really "super" musician here is the drummer."

"That track sounds poser AF. It's actually sad to see Blasphemer teaming up with those two fucking posers."

"Actually think he is at this point the most creative musician in that group, but who knows -- not holding my breath anyway."

"seeing the thread title i figured this would probably suck"

You know, in jazz/prog forums and circles, classical music, blues, etc and other types of music, we rarely have this level of arrogance, elitism, negativity and animosity towards artists. Every time there's a super group or something like that there's a lot of comments here on that nature. "They lost it", "those are posers", "who are these sell outs?", "this guy hasn't been able to sing since the demos", and on and on goes.

In other music genres, people usually are happy when seasoned veterans release new albums. Of course, not everyone is gonna like everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and on and on.

But seriously, it seems some people enter threads JUST to spread negativity about every project that some old school artist who has (in their view...) betrayed them (?) and "fallen" from some sort of metal grace (according to... the office of trve metal? Or people who are in internet web forums and are certainly more talented than David Vincent, for example, who should hire internet commentators to tell him how to manage his career and make artistic choices for him I guess, since he is an incompetent poser, it seems, and doesn't even deserve to have record deals and be putting out records in the first place).

So, wouldn't it be better if people who resent these musicians so much just ignored their work?

Almost every time there's a new Sepultura album THE SAME thing happens, years and years of this. "they should break up", "Max is a poser", "they should have split after Bestial Devastation which was the only trve thing they have ever done".

I mean, seriously, the 80s ended 28 years ago, Max left the band over 20 years ago, give it a break guys, chill. Enjoy the music if you can, and avoid spreading negativity.

The atmosphere one gets is of a group of really resentful people with artists which are following their careers and doing their stuff, trying to collaborate, be creative etc. I've never seen so much bitterness and elitist judgment in any genre. Blues, pop, rock, classical music, jazz, nothing. Maybe trying to be a little less judgemental or negative?

The song samples seem good. I enjoyed it.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:48 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:

That track sounds poser AF. It's actually sad to see Blasphemer teaming up with those two fucking posers.

Please explain how two musicians who played on some of the greatest death metal albums of all time are posers. You even pointed out yourself how great None so Vile is!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:57 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:

Please explain how two musicians who played on some of the greatest death metal albums of all time are posers. You even pointed out yourself how great None so Vile is!

Because those same two musicians are responsible for two of the biggest laughing stock albums in death metal? Because their egos are super inflated as well?

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:55 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Because those same two musicians are responsible for two of the biggest laughing stock albums in death metal? Because their egos are super inflated as well?

I really don't understand the hate Unspoken King gets. It's by no means my go-to Cryptopsy album, but it is not the shit-storm everyone says it is. I haven't heard that Morbid Angel album that everyone hates so much, but that's just because I find most of their later albums boring, so I never checked it out.

Anyways calling people "posers" for wanting to try new sounds musically, and not wanting to redo the same albums they did 20 years prior is a pretty weak argument.

Adam Warlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:38 pm 

Everybody is a loser poser and this album shouldn't exist. Only death is real, and early Derketa and Sadistic Intent demos.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:24 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:

Thanks, Wilytank. Saved me the effort.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 am 

I hope this doesn't get in the way of David Vincent's country album. Also, I can't tell if I'm being facetious anymore.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:00 am 

What the fuck happened to David Vincent man, how do you go from Altars of Madness and BATS to Illud Divinum Insanus? this will probably suck but I hope its decent.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:57 pm 

Blasphemer is a talented guitarist and songwriter, and I'm glad he's getting in the spotlight again. I know he's in Aura Noir, but they are not nearly as prolific as Mayhem. Those two others guys are cool too, I guess :P

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:03 pm 

Gunslinger21 wrote:
What the fuck happened to David Vincent man, how do you go from Altars of Madness and BATS to Illud Divinum Insanus?

You're forgetting Genitorturers, which might help answer your question.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:10 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I hope this doesn't get in the way of David Vincent's country album. Also, I can't tell if I'm being facetious anymore.

:lol:

I dunno, dude, Blasphemer should just spend more time with Aura Noir - ruling the world with one foot in hell.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:20 pm 

I hope this doesn't get in the way of David Vincent's country album.

Correction: "outlaw" country, bro. The "cool" kind of country where grown men flip people the bird. Yee haw!!!

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:57 am 

This thread needs a little more optimism, I think the clip sounds pretty good, maybe not the most brutal death metal but kind of reminds me of dominatation

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 am 

They just released the first track, sounds pretty good! That last riff at 3:22 is fucking amazing.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:57 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I hope this doesn't get in the way of David Vincent's country album.

Correction: "outlaw" country, bro. The "cool" kind of country where grown men flip people the bird. Yee haw!!!

And that is different or worse than the posing so many metal bands do? I think I can take Waylon Jennings more seriously than most black metal acts.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 am 

That song is quite good.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:28 am 

Good stuff! Blasphemer steals the show in my ears. Those riffs are fantastic.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm 

Another new song:

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:47 pm 

Solid track. Definitely getting a Mayhem vibe with this song.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 pm 

Man, I missed Blasphemer's guitar riffing. I love Chimera. But.... ugh Vincent sounds so out of place in these songs, IMO. Production's a little weak too. Guess I'll have to wait for the cd to make a final judgment...

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:38 am 

I'm liking these first two songs a lot... but I dug Illud Divinum Insanus, so what the fuck would I know.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:39 am 

Blasphemer’s riffs sound amazing as always. Will get it just for that. The songs overall are pretty good. Vincent does seem like the weak link...surprise.

MetlaNZ wrote:
I dug Illud Divinum Insanus...

Good god man have some self-respect.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:58 am 

Both these songs sounded good to me. I prefer the first one posted, but the second one is good, and does have a bit of a Mayhem vibe, particularly early on in the song, so I agree with raumr there. This might be worth picking up.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:44 am 

joppek wrote:
seeing the thread title i figured this would probably suck, but that clip makes me cautiously optimistic

certainly an intriguing posse

having had these thoughts initially, now that i've heard the two complete tracks, i'm really looking forward to this

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:17 am 

This seems to be the cover art (couldn't make it small enough to post without a spoiler thing while being large enough to make sense posting):

Spoiler: show

And tracklist:

1. Something Wicked Marches In
2. Praevalidus
3. Total Destroy!
4. Monolilith
5. Truth and Consequence
6. Last Ones Alive Win Nothing
7. Everlasting
8. Diabolus Est Sanguis
9. Marching On

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:43 am 

A third song:

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:20 am 

Sounds fine to me! I like the ambiguous style, too; somewhere very much between black, thrash and death.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:01 am 

The music for all the tracks are great but I am not completely sold on the lyrics and I think Evil D's vocals are way to loud in the mix. Will probably buy this anyway just cause of Blasphemer's awesome riffs.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next