Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:42 am 

Queensrÿche will release a new album in March, via Century Media.

"Todd spoke about "The Verdict"'s musical direction with Eclectic Arts, saying: "It's got more driving songs on this record than the last one… I think there's elements that are more progressive — some different time signatures. It's a good-flowing album. There's some slow, kind of haunting, creepy, cool stuff on this record," he continued. "Like I say, there's more progressive elements on this one, I think — certainly more, I think, than the last one. The song 'Condition Hüman' was kind of progressive in QUEENSRŸCHE's standards, so there's kind of some of those elements going on. Really good lyrical content — thought-provoking stuff. Certainly never trying to tell anyone what to think, but to think. Again, a lot of it deals with things that are happening in the world that everyone can identify with and relate to. I tried to have some really good vocal acrobatics on this [album]. There's not a ton of high singing, but there's some high stuff on there vocally. I mean, it just sounds like a great QUEENSRŸCHE album to me. But you never know until you put it out to everyone, and then it's not yours anymore."

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:29 am 

I'm curious to see how this album compares to the last two but man, I'm really wishing that next year's tour with Fates Warning had more dates on it.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 am 

I wonder who looked at that cover and said: Yeah, it's really good, let's go with that one.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 am 

hallowed78 wrote:
I wonder who looked at that cover and said: Yeah, it's really good, let's go with that one.

well, I guess it fits the concept of the album plus I don't think the band have direct control over it, probably the label paid the artist for the design and they don't have the budget to simply throw it away and hire another one.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:43 pm 

The cover just looks like generic "metal".

You should give the artist a sketch or some guidelines first, or at least take a look at the rough draft before they finish it.

Does it matter though? I doubt that this album will have more than one good song on it, and with no Rockenfield on drums that's already a strike.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:17 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
and with no Rockenfield on drums that's already a strike.

Oh geez, was that officially confirmed? It sure wouldn't surprise me if Grillo ended up playing on it but that just gives me something to dread. In all honesty, I consider Scott Rockenfield more integral to the "Queensryche sound" than Geoff Tate ever was.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:33 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:
and with no Rockenfield on drums that's already a strike.

Oh geez, was that officially confirmed? It sure wouldn't surprise me if Grillo ended up playing on it but that just gives me something to dread. In all honesty, I consider Scott Rockenfield more integral to the "Queensryche sound" than Geoff Tate ever was.

It's confirmed but it's not Grillo surprisingly. It's Todd LaTorre on drums.

Agreed that he was a huge part of their style.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:43 pm 

Honestly, though I enjoyed some of their recent songs, it just seems like this band has no real direction or identity now. Could be any generic modern melodic power/prog band, really. I guess losing a lot of their classic members will do that. Seems like it's LaTorre's passion/nostalgia project now.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:10 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Honestly, though I enjoyed some of their recent songs, it just seems like this band has no real direction or identity now. Could be any generic modern melodic power/prog band, really. I guess losing a lot of their classic members will do that. Seems like it's LaTorre's passion/nostalgia project now.

See: Judas Priest.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:24 pm 

This needs to be the album I, and certainly others, have been wanting them to make since Todd joined. The last two were alright if unfulfilling, gradually righting the ship while also serving as somewhat career retrospectives, but a third in a row operating with that same function right now would be redundant and beyond unnecessary.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:47 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
This needs to be the album I, and certainly others, have been wanting them to make since Todd joined. The last two were alright if unfulfilling, gradually righting the ship while also serving as somewhat career retrospectives, but a third in a row operating with that same function right now would be redundant and beyond unnecessary.

I agree but there is no sense that these guys know that.

D4nzig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Queensrÿche will release a new album in March, via Century Media.

"Todd spoke about "The Verdict"'s musical direction with Eclectic Arts, saying: "It's got more driving songs on this record than the last one… I think there's elements that are more progressive — some different time signatures. It's a good-flowing album. There's some slow, kind of haunting, creepy, cool stuff on this record," he continued. "Like I say, there's more progressive elements on this one, I think — certainly more, I think, than the last one. The song 'Condition Hüman' was kind of progressive in QUEENSRŸCHE's standards, so there's kind of some of those elements going on. Really good lyrical content — thought-provoking stuff. Certainly never trying to tell anyone what to think, but to think. Again, a lot of it deals with things that are happening in the world that everyone can identify with and relate to. I tried to have some really good vocal acrobatics on this [album]. There's not a ton of high singing, but there's some high stuff on there vocally. I mean, it just sounds like a great QUEENSRŸCHE album to me. But you never know until you put it out to everyone, and then it's not yours anymore."

Is that a fucking pizza knife?

Bates
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:14 pm 

I expect horrible things. Maybe not quite THAT horrible (as it could be if Tate was still involved), but still pretty bad.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:07 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:

I mean let’s not pretend that Queensryche have an amazing record for high quality album art.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
hallowed78 wrote:

I mean let’s not pretend that Queensryche have an amazing record for high quality album art.

:lol: Exactly. Maybe, maybe Operation: Mindcrime and The Warning are good. Otherwise, album art has never been their strong suit.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:32 am 

I was ready to give the band a chance after the split with Geoff Tate but the last two records were underwhelming and below expectations. I'm not willing to give the new release a chance. The band should have split up circa 1995. I don't understand why the group still gets so much attention. There are much better younger bands around.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:35 am 

I reckon it should be better than "American Soldier" and "Dedicated To Chaos" as far their discog goes.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:30 pm 

Am I the only person who doesn't see what's so hideously bad about that cover art? It's not great, but as someone else pointed out, Queensryche has never had great cover art. This seems perfectly passable to me, although maybe not entirely fitting to Queensryche's style. *shrug* It's still decent.

As for the album itself, I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed 'Queensryche', although it was too short, but 'Condition Human' holds very little place in my memory, so I'm hoping for something more interesting this time around. I think they're capable of delivering this.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Am I the only person who doesn't see what's so hideously bad about that cover art? It's not great, but as someone else pointed out, Queensryche has never had great cover art. This seems perfectly passable to me, although maybe not entirely fitting to Queensryche's style. *shrug* It's still decent.

As for the album itself, I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed 'Queensryche', although it was too short, but 'Condition Human' holds very little place in my memory, so I'm hoping for something more interesting this time around. I think they're capable of delivering this.

I don't think it's bad so much as just rather stock. Queensryche isn't really the most overtly "metal" band out there and their album art aesthetic has always leaned more to prog rock than anything else. It's somewhat uncanny to see a cover that's a skull away from one of those cringy baby boomer metal Facebook group images.

I do hope this leans more to the 2013 album than Condition Human personally. I like both but the latter didn't really stick with me.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:56 pm 

Count me as another person who doesn't think the album art is too bad (although not awesome or anything). I'm marginally excited for this - the last two albums were fine, so I'm expecting this one to be decent as well. I got an alert recently that they'll be playing a show (with Fates Warning!) early-ish next year, so I'll definitely go and see them then. I've seen them once before but with Tate (in 2005, when Tate was singing surprisingly well), so this'll definitely be a different experience.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:22 am 

Alright!

MatsBG
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:21 am 

I actually really enjoyed this track! Got an "old school Queensrÿche" vibe from the intro. Can't wait to hear the whole album.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:37 am 

I cannot believe how painfully average this new song is. And this is the first single?!?!?!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:44 am 

I was digging it. That's basically all I'd wanted out of them at this point. I like the more mysterious, melancholic-seeming guitars and Todd sounds awesome.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:29 am 

Good intro, good verse riff, but there's just nothing there after that. It's so frustrating how common this kind of song is, especially from re-formed "classic" bands on major labels. It reeks of "turning the crank" - as if the initial songwriting sessions only turned out so many decent riffs, so they had to be spread thin over the album.

It's about a third of a good song.

terrordread
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:53 pm 

Eh, song was fine, but nothing to write home about. I agree that the intro was nice, but then the rest of the song was pretty boring.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:00 pm 

Great tune!! I'm intrigued!

Like your reviews?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:59 pm 

I thought the song was pretty good. Snappy and relatively straightforward but has the cool tensions in the guitars that Wilton has always been pretty good at writing. Great singing. I'll try to check out the full album when it drops. Hopefully they've got some twists and turns in the other tunes.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:28 pm 

Definitely one of the heavier songs we've heard from them in a while. I can dig it.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:35 am 

Wilytank wrote:
hallowed78 wrote:

They were doing pixel art before it was cool, damn it!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:52 pm 

So according to M-A, Mike Stone is back and did touring with Queensryche too. LOL

Does it even matter who is in this band anymore?

Also, would anyone like to start their own local Queensryche franchise with me?

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:09 am 

Another new song:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am 

Sounds decent enough.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:54 pm 

Totally generic and boring. Alas.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:57 pm 

It's a nice song, but I don't think I'll ever need to listen to it again.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:36 pm 

That was really good! It reminded me of 'A World Without', which was my favorite song on the S/T LP. Count me excited for the full album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:55 pm 

Not an amazing song and certainly not the greatest thing to put out as a single, but I like the darker, gloomier melodies and that they aren't doing whatever they did last album. It'll probably be pretty decent at least.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:29 pm 

OMG that new song is awful! The first single was really good. This is just bad. Wow.

Like your reviews?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:46 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/queens ... e-verdict/

So did the plot just thicken or did we only get confirmation of the blatantly obvious? Either way, an album without Rockenfield's drums is still unsettling.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:52 pm 

Wow, all of those guys look identical...weird.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next