Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:46 am 

Dream Theater will release a new album, planned for February 2019.

Short trailer:

Last edited by Dembo on Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 am 

That song didn't sound like much.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:16 am 

More interesting to me is that a poster for the tour says "Celebrating 20 years of Scenes From A Memory". They haven't announced if they are doing the entire album yet, or if it's just a set laced with tracks from the record.

I haven't cared about Dream Theater's new music much in over 10 years, but if it's the full record, I think I have to go. That's always going to be one of my favourite albums of all time. Even without Mike, and James not quite as capable as he once was, I've got to experience the entire thing live.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:52 am 

I usually find something to like in all their newer stuff, though A Dramatic Turn of Events never resonated with me and the self-titled I actually sort of forgot about. I thought The Astonishing was interesting though which apparently a lot of people did not.

MalconInTheMETAL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 am 

Was not into the Astonishing much myself, and the self entitled DT album was so so for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed Dramatic and just about everything prior. So I don't suspect Mangini syndrome or anything like that, but clearly there has been a bit of regression in terms of songwriting without Portnoy, but that was to be expected. They are all supremely talented and skilled musicians and Mangini is insanely good - he literally looks like a man possessed live (which is hilarious I might add). Did see them last year in Chicago for their 25th anniversary of Images tour and holy hell - what a fucking show that was. Awesome to see their newest addition play any of their music so effortlessly and with such passion. Great things yet to come for DT - and this clip gave me a slight chub :D

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:25 pm 

What the chuff is that cover?

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:45 pm 

Temple Of Blood is right, that didn't really sound like much. At all.

I like the title, it is simple enough without being too bland. I've liked all three post-Portnoy albums. Warmed up to the self-titled recently and Bridges In The Sky is one of the best tunes the band ever made.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:53 pm 

Conan Troutman wrote:

The quintessential progressive metal/rock cover aka a silly image attempting to be deep.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

When does a 30-second clip ever sound like much, though?

Honestly, it didn't sound bad, but Dream Theater have never really been bad so much as...uninteresting, I guess. For a "progressive" band they sure don't seem to branch out very much.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:21 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
Conan Troutman wrote:

The quintessential progressive metal/rock cover aka a silly image attempting to be deep.

Hamlet meets Terminator.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:53 pm 

I thought the clip sounded great. Or greatly promising at least. I'm a born again DT fan, lost interest after Awake, came back to the s/t, which is a fantastic album with grand ideas and full of nods to Rush. Looking forward to this.

About the cover: I'd say it will look good as a CD cover, but horrible on a LP cover. That makes me wonder what medium bands/artists have have in mind these days: vinyl sleeve, spotify icon, youtube picture or what? Somethíng that will work with any format?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:16 pm 

As always, I am cautiously optimistic. Black Clouds is straight-up one of my favorite albums of theirs, but the three since then have ranged from acceptable to bad. I will hold out hope.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:59 pm 

Epicureo wrote:
Conan Troutman wrote:

Yup. However I'm glad they've been cleaning up their covers as of late, no more "Hey, look there in the back, there's a transparent mandrill dressed up as Charlie Chaplin holding a burning Stalin portrait, I wonder what does that mean?". Simple silly trumps overdone silly any day.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm 

As always with post-Portnoy DT, I am approaching this with trepidation. ADTOE was musically excellent, but the lyrics soured it for me. The other two, especially The Astonishing, were just...awful.

The clip sounds promising. This could easily be the best post-Portnoy album, if Petrucci would check his right wing christian/pseudo-libertarian nonsense at the door and keep the lyrics free of that junk. DTs best lyrics in the past were of an apolitical personal nature, and it’s fairly obvious from the three albums without him that Portnoy, as co producer, kept the more heavy handed preaching in check.

I can’t cite a source because I can’t specifically remember where I saw it, but I thought I remembered reading that this album will contain elements of/influences from djent. I guess we’ll find out.

Oblarg wrote:
For a "progressive" band they sure don't seem to branch out very much.

Thank you for saying this. “Progressive” is not simply a synonym for “technical”. DTs been a play it safe fan service band over the last few albums, and while that’s all fine and dandy, I’d rather see them explore some degree of new influences and widen their sound a bit.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Bridges In The Sky is one of the best tunes the band ever made.

I can cop to this.

jimbies wrote:
More interesting to me is that a poster for the tour says "Celebrating 20 years of Scenes From A Memory"... I've got to experience the entire thing live.

Not to gloat, but I’m glad I did in 2000.
Obliteration

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:46 pm 

I like DT but I haven't even managed to digest the self titled and The Astonishing yet. They should "take the time" to do something grandiose.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:27 pm 

Jesus fuck, were it not for The Astonishing being so astonishing-ly terrible in its own unique way, DT would practically be the AC/DC of prog metal by now. Here we go with the same flavorless rifflets, the same dreary alt-metal choruses with copious vocal layering to try to cover up James' continued vocal decline (hey guys, y'know, you can write songs without big choruses in them occasionally, you're a prog band, you're allowed to do that), even the same guitar tone and Petruccicentric production they've been doing since A Dramatic Turn of Events, which is a watered down version of what they've been doing since Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. Their interviews and general demeanor are creepy and coldly impersonal now. Do any of them even give a fuck anymore or are they just going to continue to perform to the minimum required standard and profit from easily amused fans until they keel over?

Pass.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:57 am 

FirebathDan wrote:
Oblarg wrote:

Thank you for saying this. “Progressive” is not simply a synonym for “technical”.

It shouldn't mean the same thing but it pretty much has become the same thing. I feel like few progressive bands are truly progressive, they usually are technical however and that is how they have gained the rep. Unusual time signatures, concept albums, crazy instrumentals and long tracks. Seldom do they progress from their own path and/or sound. Not much more than any other band does.

A band like Mayhem would be way more progressive in their willingness to try new things with their sound. But obviously they don't have the technical component.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:51 am 

Alas, poor Portnoy, I knew him well...

I still like Dramatic Turn, the self-titled was forgettable, and The Astonishing was dull crap. Dream Theater is in an odd place where I know what it'll sound like but I have no idea what to expect in terms of actual quality. Can't say I expect much anymore.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:16 am 

Epicureo wrote:

So true.

Let's face it, these ultra-technique wank bands don't care about their lyrics (with the exception of Watchtower).

The quintessential album cover that embodies what you described above IMHO is this:

Spoiler: show

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:36 am 

this selfie from New Years 2018 made us think they were getting back together with Portnoy... :???:
Spoiler: show

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:03 am 

Dembo wrote:

Completely unimpressed by this. Sounds like Dream Theater going through the motions which is honestly what they've been doing the last few years.
Let's face it, this band's best years are long gone and I doubt they will ever put out a great album again (awake and Six degrees are for me some of the greatest prog metal albums ever created). A dramatic turn of events was the only remotely good thing they have done since Portnoy left and they've been going downhill ever since. That said, I have hopes this is going to be better than the astonishing, and that's because I think going lower than that is a really hard task, man, what a piece of shit that album was, easily the worst "major" record of the decade.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:27 am 

I don't see what's silly about a robot holding a human skull. If anything, it's alarming.

A silly cover in my book is something like this:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ovou/97622

Not saying either type of cover is bad though.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:39 am 

Dembo wrote:
I don't see what's silly about a robot holding a human skull. If anything, it's alarming.

A silly cover in my book is something like this:
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ovou/97622

Not saying either type of cover is bad though.

Yeah, that's a terrible cover. But that band is a cult one and benefits from much lower expectations.

I don't see how anyone could approve that cover though. A stock band photo or a live shot would've been FAR superior.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:42 pm 

Lots of complaining about the cover. I think its fine. Great choice to have it being white as well. It will stand out nicely among any other records not just in the darker metal sections.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:02 pm 

I think it's more than fine actually, both regarding how it looks and how it makes one think.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:09 pm 

Anyone know what that 137 carved into the skull means?

GOOFAM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:57 pm 

The DT forums have a whole thread https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53029.0 about the meaning of 137. Just guesses at this point though.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:14 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
As always with post-Portnoy DT, I am approaching this with trepidation. ADTOE was musically excellent, but the lyrics soured it for me. The other two, especially The Astonishing, were just...awful.

The clip sounds promising. This could easily be the best post-Portnoy album, if Petrucci would check his right wing christian/pseudo-libertarian nonsense at the door and keep the lyrics free of that junk. DTs best lyrics in the past were of an apolitical personal nature, and it’s fairly obvious from the three albums without him that Portnoy, as co producer, kept the more heavy handed preaching in check.

I can’t cite a source because I can’t specifically remember where I saw it, but I thought I remembered reading that this album will contain elements of/influences from djent. I guess we’ll find out.

Oblarg wrote:

Thank you for saying this. “Progressive” is not simply a synonym for “technical”. DTs been a play it safe fan service band over the last few albums, and while that’s all fine and dandy, I’d rather see them explore some degree of new influences and widen their sound a bit.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant wrote:
Bridges In The Sky is one of the best tunes the band ever made.

I can cop to this.

jimbies wrote:
More interesting to me is that a poster for the tour says "Celebrating 20 years of Scenes From A Memory"... I've got to experience the entire thing live.

Not to gloat, but I’m glad I did in 2000.

Everything I read said this album was inspired by the Images and Words tour.

MalconInTheMETAL
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:00 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
As always, I am cautiously optimistic. Black Clouds is straight-up one of my favorite albums of theirs, but the three since then have ranged from acceptable to bad. I will hold out hope.

^this

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:46 am 

Ha! I wish it actually sounds this raw :-P

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

GOOFAM wrote:
The DT forums have a whole thread https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=53029.0 about the meaning of 137. Just guesses at this point though.

Bertielee, on the DT forums wrote:
Good idea : I have checked page 137 of Hamlet : the scene when the clown throws a skull at Hamlet :

"1 Clown.
[Sings.]
But age, with his stealing steps,
Hath claw'd me in his clutch,
And hath shipp'd me intil the land,
As if I had never been such.
[Throws up a skull.]
Ham.
That skull had a tongue in it, and could sing once: how the
knave jowls it to the ground,as if 'twere Cain's jawbone, that
did the first murder! This might be the pate of a politician,..."

The cover seems a reference at Hamlet's hand holding Yorick's skull.

Having this exact scene/quote land on page 137 seems highly dependent on what printing of the book you have. Yet it's hard to deny that that scene seems to be what the cover art is depicting.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:51 pm 

The release date is now specified: February 22nd.

A studio interview:

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:50 am 

Well, they took a different approach to writing this one after the HUGE backlash against their previous album. We'll see if it makes any difference.

I think the best thing they could do would be to get a good producer, and not just work with a studio engineer.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:56 pm 

This actually sounds pretty neat!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rxmfa8OPA

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:24 pm 

The tracklist:

1. Untethered Angel (6:14)
2. Paralyzed (4:17)
3. Fall into the Light (7:04)
4. Barstool Warrior (6:43)
5. Room 137 (4:23)
6. S2N (6:21)
7. At Wit’s End (9:20)
8. Out of Reach (4:04)
9. Pale Blue Dot (8:25)

Bonus track:
10. Viper King (4:00)

It's the first time since 1992's Images and Words that an album of theirs is under an hour long.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:26 pm 

Weird to see so many "shorter" sounds on there, not a single one at the ten minute mark. I really have no idea what to expect at this point.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:15 pm 

Those song titles sure look different for DT ... I'm curious now ...

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:20 pm 

"Barstool Warrior"

please no

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
"Barstool Warrior"

please no

I'm curious what that one in particular is gonna be like...

Shorter runtimes is definitely promising. I'll check it out for sure.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:36 pm 

I may actually check it out if the songs are those lengths. Their tendency to write nothing but 10+ minute epics made them mostly impenetrable to me.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next