Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:35 am 

As this is probably the best site for more obscure bands and the community seems invested I'd love to see some genre tag feature connected to this site's library. I'm guessing that many music lovers like me when scrolling through their Giga-/Terabytes of music often notice band names not recognized by heart. The multitude of different genres naming in the tags are just as confusing and give no useful hint. Yeah I could change it manually to my liking by listening but thought that an online standardized database would be awesome. Like "freedb.org" but that site more often than not returns nothing more useful than e.g. "metal".

Have I missed any useful site that does metal any good and has some automatic tagging feature? (Or a thread already discussing this perhaps?)

Unfortunately I'm no coder myself so can't be of much help on that side of things.

Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:17 pm 

Just so we're clear – I'm not promoting piracy.
I've never downloaded anything in my life.
I don't even know what piracy is.
Pi-racy..
Pies racing each other?
Screw that.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:15 pm 

Ever heard of a site called Encyclopaedia Metallum. I heard they implemented a "mod system" to tag bands and judge their metalness. Worked quite well thus far.

Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:04 pm 

Don't be rude. I just thought that as I'm ripping my collection of some thousand CDs and going through my LEGAL downloads from various places, and know there's a lot of metalheads out there, it might be beneficial for a lot of users to have access to an automatic tag feature.

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:30 pm 

Just to be clear: I believe you are talking about being able to see a band's genre field from your collection? Or have I misunderstood? This thread is a bit confusing. My suggestion to you is to bookmark bands of which you own an album - the genres appear in your bookmarked list, unlike your collection, so I believe you would find the quick genre access you are seeking there...

Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:11 pm 

What I mean is that whenever you for example rip a CD you get the song titles and album title easily written to the meta tags of the files. I.e the name of album and titles of the songs. However the genre not so much. So whenever you want to listen to for example sludge metal in your media player, all those sludge bands that aren't listed as such don't pop up.

Now I surely understand that if I would have been careful and wrote down my own nomenclature or gone online, searching for metal-archive's genres and manually inserting what it says at every album's meta tags there wouldn't be any problem. But I haven't. And I figure many of you haven't. So a way to batch-write the genres to the meta tags of all albums of my collection with just the press of a button would be kind of awesome. Or am I just lazy?

Last edited by Nohliife on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm 

Of course I'm lazy, but am I the only one looking for this feature?

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:20 pm 

Nohliife wrote:

To be totally honest... I think you are.
Nohliife wrote:
So whenever you want to listen to for example sludge metal in your media player, all those sludge bands that aren't listed as such don't pop up.

You can edit the genres in Windows Media Player. If they're just coming up as ''metal'' because you haven't edited them and you're unable to edit all albums with one click... well, sorry, but that's nothing to do with us... that's a Windows Media issue. I can't see how this site could solve the problem.

Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:44 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Nohliife wrote:

To be totally honest... I think you are.
Nohliife wrote:
So whenever you want to listen to for example sludge metal in your media player, all those sludge bands that aren't listed as such don't pop up.

You can edit the genres in Windows Media Player. If they're just coming up as ''metal'' because you haven't edited them and you're unable to edit all albums with one click... well, sorry, but that's nothing to do with us... that's a Windows Media issue. I can't see how this site could solve the problem.

Who said it has to do with you? I was just wishing for a useful feature.

Ok, you have obviously not understood what I'm asking for even when going out of my way to explain it. But I guess it shouldn't be expected too much from someone who refers to Windows Media Player. Have you heard of freeDB.org? As I already stated it's an excellent example of the feature I'm refering to. Rip or download some music, use for example the excellent music player Foobar2000 and with the press of a button download from freedb.org the name of the band, album, songs, genre, writers etc. But. It doesn't handle metal's different subgenres very well. That's where a place like this can make a difference.

So your collections are free from different nomenclatures of the same genre like: Sludge, Sludgemetal, Sludge-Metal, Metal, Sludge/Metal, Sludge\Metal, Metal/Sludge, Metal\Sludge, Metal-Sludge, etc? –Good for you then.

Last edited by Nohliife on Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:38 pm 

Metal Archives is free from exactly that. I will admit that you are correct that I didn't and still don't fully understand your suggestion... and what I don't get, is how your suggestion could add something that we don't already have... and it seems Paganius doesn't either. But you have given your explanations, maybe the site owners will see what it can add better than me.

Nohliife
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:41 pm 

HouseSpiders wrote:
Metal Archives is free from exactly that.
Yes, and that is exactly what I'm looking for, although in a direct manner, like freedb.org provides.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 am 

I get what your point is, but ugh. I never used FreeDB and I always tagged my music by hand and it never took more than a few seconds (more often than not even less than that...) to type a freaking genre. Why do people always want to overcomplicate things?

Giving at least a bit of a constructive advise: you could just ask Free.db to expand their genre system

Reply to topic