Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:54 am 

Ruler of the Wasteland is the one with fucking SMASHING artwork from Lionel III right? Same guy who does all Howie's covers? I've had it on CD for years and years, I thought I remembered it being overall just a bit slower than I hoped for. My tastes have changed and evolved quite a bit though, I need to pull it back out and see what sticks.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:55 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Ruler of the Wasteland is the one with fucking SMASHING artwork from Lionel III right? Same guy who does all Howie's covers? I've had it on CD for years and years, I thought I remembered it being overall just a bit slower than I hoped for. My tastes have changed and evolved quite a bit though, I need to pull it back out and see what sticks.

Reminds me quite a bit of the general riff style of Riot's Thundersteel or old Savatage - just great, rocking stuff. Maybe not the speediest ever but I think it's fine. The slower-burn/anthemic tracks like "Angel of Mercy" and "Battle of Nevermore" are highlights for me so far.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:55 am 

Angel of Mercy is probably my favorite Chastain song. Glad you're digging them so far Emp. I suggest trying out Voice of the Cult next, eventually working your way through the first four. The rest aren't quite as good nor essential in my mind.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:07 am 

I still need to listen to more Chastain and CJSS. I have only heard one album.

What is the best album and stylistically what is the difference between the 2 bands?

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:22 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I still need to listen to more Chastain and CJSS. I have only heard one album.

What is the best album and stylistically what is the difference between the 2 bands?

Chastain has Leather Leone on vocals and it makes a huge difference. I haven't hit CJSS much but the music from early Chastain material is tighter from little I have to compare.

Personally, the way I rank the Chastain albums is: Ruler of the Wasteland > Voice of the Cult > 7th of Never > Mystery of Illusion > the rest

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:26 pm 

Why is For Those Who Dare not included in the classic Chastain albums? Right there with the rest. Night of Anger is one of my favorite Chastain tunes. And Shock Waves by Leather is also a must (produced by Chastain and lyrical contribution by Mark Shelton). That would be the essential Chastain stuff imo.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:16 pm 

I had the complete wrong album, I've only heard the debut, Mystery of Illusion. One of my all-time favorite album covers, but the tunes left me a little flat. Going to revisit them in general.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:59 pm 

While there's some good stuff on those Chastain albums, I just remember Dave being a more boring "Shrapnel records" shredder than I'd like. It's a waste of Leather!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:00 pm 

^ I'm always more about riffs than solos/shredding, and this stuff is exactly how I like my 80s metal riffs to sound. Just shitloads of swagger and attitude. Massive stuff.

Voice of the Cult is fun. This was the one that appealed to me the most from the title/cover - was hoping it might be a bit darker/more dramatic from those, but it's a rocking listen. Very consistent. Just back to basics riffs and hollering, howling choruses.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:35 pm 

Speaking about Shrapnel ...

To me, Racer X's "Street Lethal" is an amazing METAL record that unfairly gets lumped in with many of those other boring Shrapnel releases. It has a bit of Van Halen in there at times but mostly this is an album full of great songs that should appeal to fans of Judas Priest / Accept / Loudness / Malmsteen.

Chastain - "For those who Dare" is the only one I own. I enjoy the title track, but the album as a whole didn't do much for me.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Why is For Those Who Dare not included in the classic Chastain albums? Right there with the rest. Night of Anger is one of my favorite Chastain tunes. And Shock Waves by Leather is also a must (produced by Chastain and lyrical contribution by Mark Shelton). That would be the essential Chastain stuff imo.

"For Those Who Dare" is a good album, no doubt about it, however I wouldn't recommend it to a first time listener. Chastain don't make bad albums. My personal favorite is "Ruler...", tho some days "Mystery...", "7th..." and "Voice..." can challenge that. "For Those..." sounded like they were running on fumes. Still, fans should definitely check it out.
What's everyone's thoughts on the new albums? I like them, good strong stuff. Chastain himself is a great songwriter. I never got into show pony guitarists, but he always puts the song itself first. The only annoying thing is that they released two versions of both albums. I bought the original versions. Anyone got the so-called unedited versions?

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:00 pm 

I thought Surrender to No One ruled. It was a great return for Leather. Didn't much care for We Bleed Metal.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:03 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
^ I'm always more about riffs than solos/shredding, and this stuff is exactly how I like my 80s metal riffs to sound. Just shitloads of swagger and attitude. Massive stuff.

That's interesting you say that. I like Ruler of the Wasteland well enough, but I always considered riffs to be where Chastain lacked the most. Not bad, but they're clearly a very vocal and lead guitar-oriented band. Never quite a whole package band like Vicious Rumors or Savatage, just a really solid 2nd or 3rd tier band. The kind you need to keep the scene alive!

"Fighting to Stay Alive" is a solid example of That Metal Riff every band uses. But that great chorus and solo are gonna steal the show every time!
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:51 am 

flexodus wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

That's interesting you say that. I like Ruler of the Wasteland well enough, but I always considered riffs to be where Chastain lacked the most. Not bad, but they're clearly a very vocal and lead guitar-oriented band. Never quite a whole package band like Vicious Rumors or Savatage, just a really solid 2nd or 3rd tier band. The kind you need to keep the scene alive!

"Fighting to Stay Alive" is a solid example of That Metal Riff every band uses. But that great chorus and solo are gonna steal the show every time!

I dunno, I heard the main riff on that song "Edge of Sanity" off his Shelton Chastain demo and that's basically a perfect metal riff for me, and a perfect song. The stuff I've been hearing on the Chastain albums equally works for me. Basic but so goddamn satisfying. He's got a real feel for it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:34 pm 

I feel like comparing Chastain to the shred-happy guitar heroes is unfair. Yngwie may be one of the most technically gifted guitarists around, but in terms of writing actual songs, he's not fit to shine Chastain's shoes.

Malbordus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:36 pm 

Chastain is one of those rare shredders who understands that solos are no replacement for songwriting. Also Leather is probably the best female vocalist around.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:20 pm 

The Shelton Chastain project basically has the best riffs that Chastain has ever written. Given that they were modeled after Manilla Road, that's no surprise at all! Seriously, if you haven't checked out that project but you're a fan of either David Chastain or Mark Shelton then I suggest taking a look ASAP.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:43 am 

Come at me with your early Maiden bands, please! No bad vocalists, please.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:18 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I assume you mean Dianno era.

I would go with Tension - "Breaking Point".

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Come at me with your early Maiden bands, please!

*cracks knuckles*

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
"No bad vocalists, please.

Shit, nevermind.

tuco365
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 am 

Hi, I'm new around here. I just want to say that I was impressed by the quality of the new 'Third Angel' album published last week (after 30 years without publishing anything they have released this new album on Nuclear Blast). I absolutely recommend it and I think it may be one of the best this year. This album is loved since the first audition. Thank you and enjoy.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/F ... ret/731323

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:56 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Slovak band Sexit's first album is great and has some early Maiden feel. (The rest of their albums are fantastic too, though more eclectic rock than metal.)

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:15 pm 

Cauldron Born-God of Metal is now available for digital download:

https://cauldronborn1.bandcamp.com/

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Baltimor - EEPOS is quite Killers-sounding.

https://baltimor.bandcamp.com/album/eepos

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:48 pm 

Cauldron_Born wrote:

Any chance this gets a physical release?

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:54 pm 

rawsewage wrote:
Cauldron_Born wrote:

Any chance this gets a physical release?

At this point I am leaning towards no.

But on a brighter note, I was looking through some bins in my basement today and found a couple more boxes of the Born of the Cauldron vinyl. Bandcamp page is updated:

https://cauldronborn1.bandcamp.com/albu ... e-cauldron

Cauldron_Born
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:56 pm 

Jonpo wrote:

I think Lionel only did the Mystery of Illusion artwork.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:00 am 

Xenophon wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Baltimor - EEPOS is quite Killers-sounding.

https://baltimor.bandcamp.com/album/eepos

I'll check it out, thanks

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:14 pm 

Chastain's debut Mystery of Illusion is actually really cool - meatier and heavier than the more virtuosic following albums, but with a real innocence and zeal that makes it charming. Really liking this so far.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:40 pm 

Nice dude! I need to hear it again, my tastes have changed quite a bit and I don't need EVERYTHING to be full-steam ahead. Some things just never grab me the way I expect them too though...Vicious Rumors entire catalogue is a good example :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:50 pm 

Yeah I'd say I like the next three a little more, but MoI has a real odd, almost Sabbathy quality to it at times, though it's much more rocking and aggressive than that obviously. Certainly not the fastest stuff but the riffs and guitars and Leather are certainly lethal. You'd prolly like it more now.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 pm 

The production on MoI puts it a peg below the other three in my mind - lots of bangers on it though!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm 

Empyreal, you really nailed it in your review of Sanctuary denied. I love the simple, stomping Battle Angels, but the rest of the album completely fails to measure up. They really should have cut the Queensrÿche-isms and just gone for the throat for 40 minutes.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:16 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Sanctuary denied.

Close, bit not quite.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:38 pm 

I had the MA page up and everything! Not sure how I managed that. :-D

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:35 pm 

"Die for My Sins" was always the clear winner for me.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:40 pm 

"Battle Angels" and "Die For My Sins" are the two standout tracks. But as an album "Into The Mirror Black" is better and more consistent.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 pm 

I like Battle Angels and Ascension to Destiny with Die for My Sins as and maybe the Jefferson Airplane cover as the best of the rest. It's a frustrating album, so good in spots yet mostly mediocre.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:38 am 

StainedClass95 wrote:
I like Battle Angels and Ascension to Destiny with Die for My Sins as and maybe the Jefferson Airplane cover as the best of the rest. It's a frustrating album, so good in spots yet mostly mediocre.

I used to have a similar opinion, imagining some of the best 3-4 songs (including the track “Sanctuary” itself, so fucking underrated) on some hypothetical, obscure uspm 7 inch record. But the entire album has grown on me quite a lot over many years. Yeah, Die for my Sins, Battle Angels, etc are the catchiest songs, but Soldiers of Steel, Deathrider/Third War, Veil of disguise are great as well. A really neat blend of white collar power/prog with simple, thrashy, braindead trad metal. Maybe the production makes it seem a little still and awkward, but the music itself is fun and memorable. I love the second album as well but it definitely lacks in standout tracks matching that catchiness.

On this note, the vocal lines of Iced Earth’s ”Dracula” seem 100% inspired by the verses of “The Third War”. We all can hear this yes?
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:58 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Empyreal, you really nailed it in your review of Sanctuary denied. I love the simple, stomping Battle Angels, but the rest of the album completely fails to measure up. They really should have cut the Queensrÿche-isms and just gone for the throat for 40 minutes.

I always thought it was just a lame album in general. Just not my thing with USPM I guess.

Revisiting Vicious Rumors' Welcome to the Ball and this was always my favorite from them. Just a masterclass in catchiness. A bit more modern with how varied all the songs are.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588 ... 624  Next