Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:52 am 

]

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:46 am 

It's a truly bizarre scam/ordeal. The whole situation reminds me of a Hard Times article.

It's impossible to listen to this guy talk and take anything he says seriously.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:13 am 

k

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:43 am 

Damn, if only I'd known, I could have been one of the lucky few. I really wonder where he got the money to tour Y'r'p from? Mom?

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:28 am 

g

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discordant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:53 am 

This is so weird & entertaining at the same time. First it seemed like a scam, but it seems the dude is loosing money over this. A so-called "perfomance-artist" or troll? Probably not, since he has deleted or made other social platforms private in the wake of this going viral.

He did get alot of publicity though, for all the wrong reasons...
Old-school black/thrash

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:37 pm 

Wow that Sick Chirpse piece was excellent reading. Thanks for posting.

As for Threatin... There's got to be more info coming out. I gotta know... what's the deal, bud?

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:25 pm 

Discordant wrote:
This is so weird & entertaining at the same time. First it seemed like a scam, but it seems the dude is loosing money over this. A so-called "perfomance-artist" or troll? Probably not, since he has deleted or made other social platforms private in the wake of this going viral.

Yeah, I can't see this being a way to scam for money since I don't think the dude is making anything from this. My guess is that he really believes in his music and tries every way imaginable to get out and play. But he doesn't seem to understand that being booked isn't the same as people actually coming to the show. And he really doesn't understand that its not ok to fake stuff to get what you want.

I don't even think he necessarily has rich parent to make this work. With small shows as this band are often using the backline of the club/bar so they only really need to bring their instruments (and pedals and such). Drums are usually provided at the place as well. So what is needed is a few airline tickets and some place to sleep. Doesn't have to be very expensive.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:30 pm 

Did you read the article (with testimomy from venue owners)? He pays out of pocket for the operating costs/hire costs for the venues to be open for him to play. He paid those costs himself, at least at several of the venues, since ticket sales obviously didn't cover it.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:33 pm 

Is the song in the video actually his?

Because if it is it seems like if he put that kind of time and dedication in making music and promoting said music he could've actually achieved something.

It's not exactly a masterpiece of a song but there has been people selling lots of albums with worse.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:00 pm 

What's so fucking weird is that if he was really going to put up this money and eat these major expenses he totally could have just bought on to an opening slot on a European tour and been infinitely better off. Also, how the fuck did he convince other musicians to go along with this dumb idea?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:15 pm 

You know, here's the thing... his song, "Living is Dying" is actually a decent hard rock tune, albeit a pretty safe, vanilla mainstream one. But it has all the right hooks, melody, and what not and it is really good for what it is. Plus, the guy is, by all rights, a respectably good musician.

So the question is, why the fuck doesn't he just go out and get himself a real actual band??? His music has all the potential to be radio-friendly hit friendly stuff, all he needs is a proper band and a proper manager... why not? If he is so "rich" and can afford to take a hit playing these pointless "Gigs" then why doesn't he use his brain and try to do things in a halfway intelligent rational way? This isn't just some hopelessly untalented loser kid trying to play black metal in his parents basement, or whatever.

Burek
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:28 pm 

This feels like a big budget version of that guy who kept shilling his band Phantom and his site.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
Did you read the article (with testimomy from venue owners)? He pays out of pocket for the operating costs/hire costs for the venues to be open for him to play. He paid those costs himself, at least at several of the venues, since ticket sales obviously didn't cover it.

Well, he probably didn't expect the venues to be empty. He's obviously lacking in understanding how the world works. Faking it to get gigs, showing up realizing people don't come just because you're booked and then having to face the consequences. I don't think the plan was for him to pay the venues.

I don't think the guy is poor, he obviously has put down quite some money on this band. Just saying he doesn't have to be rich to be able to pull this off.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:15 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:45 pm 

One thing to consider is the "Even bad publicity is good publicity" theory. By now enough people have probably heard about his tour debacle to at least be curious as to what his band is all about, and that MIGHT help draw some people in to the gigs to check him out. Unlike some of these self-hyped "bands" (like the aforementioned Sewer/Phantom guy) Threatin's stuff is actually good, albeit pretty "Vanilla" mainstream hard rock. I can see his music appealing to fans of Linkin park, All that Remains, Staind, Breaking Benjamin- those kind of bands, which is to say, lots of teeny bopper mainstream music fans will probably dig his stuff once they hear it.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:00 pm 

I've had the thought that this was a deliberate publicity stunt, which explains a few things, but I don't think getting yourself blacklisted from a variety of UK venues and earning the reputation he's got is a smart idea regardless of the publicity. This may legitimately be a Tommy Wiseau-esque situation; a guy with way too much money trying to live his dream with zero understanding of how to actually go about doing so, making a bunch of dumb, awful decisions along the way.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:12 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
Also, how the fuck did he convince other musicians to go along with this dumb idea?

Probably duped them into thinking he had a fanbase they could benefit from too.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:31 am 

Interesting story, mediocre music, ridiculous stage name (come on, Threatin as in “threaten”?). Thanks for sharing these articles all, was a really good read. Makes me wonder if it’s naïveté or a deeper pathology with this guy.

Burek wrote:
This feels like a big budget version of that guy who kept shilling his band Phantom and his site.

Oxenkiller wrote:
(like the aforementioned Sewer/Phantom guy)

Sidebar, I am interested to know how Sewer and all those other “The Satan” bands were determined to be faked. In a vacuum, that stuff sounds like your average run of the mill 10th tier BM bands, so I am genuinely curious as to how the conclusion was reached that this stuff was plagiarized MIDI files or whatever the end result was.
Obliteration

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:02 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
I get what you're trying to say, but some of the venues were paid for months in advance. Like the London one where it cost £780 to hire. He might not have anticipated the venue being completely dead but I'm not sure what he was expecting. He knew where his band stood considering he faked just about everything and had literally 0 interest. It's extremely poor foresight to book an oversea tour (where he is headlining no-less) like this without doing some serious legwork considering the costs involved.

Of course, but that is also assuming he reasons like most of us would and quite obviously he doesn't. I think its a classic case of living in the dream. He created something in his head and then had a hard time separating it from reality. I can't really see the argument that it might be something he did because he was rich. Booking venues and playing for nobody makes no sense
no matter how much money one has. I also have a hard time believing it was a publicity stunt since (1) he is getting ridiculed for it and (2) he doesn't seem to take advantage of the publicity he has been getting (deleting his social media, not allowing comments etc).

It just seems to me like a dude who probably has a life inside his own head. The fact that he doesn't even have a permanent band and that the videos he has done features himself playing all the instruments points in that direction as well.
Ad hominem

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:40 am 

Fake likes are unfortunately, par for the course. Many bands pay for them directly, or they hire a promotional company that does the dirty work for them.

This is far from the first example of "fake it til you make it" but this may be the most stark example I've ever seen in the music industry.

Good point above that he should've just bought his way onto a bigger tour. Standard stuff, and largely uncontroversial.

Tons of bands these days are just trust fund kids living off of daddy's money or they have a rich spouse that funds their hobby. I think people would be shocked at how common this is. It's a lot easier to be popular as a band if you don't have to work a real job and have tons of extra money to throw at it. The music industry really needs to be exposed for the sham that it is.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:59 am 

I'm just wondering what this has to do with metal :???:

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:19 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Tons of bands these days are just trust fund kids living off of daddy's money or they have a rich spouse that funds their hobby. I think people would be shocked at how common this is. It's a lot easier to be popular as a band if you don't have to work a real job and have tons of extra money to throw at it. The music industry really needs to be exposed for the sham that it is.

Bullseye.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

t.

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
HaPoStaPu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am 

Let's hope he has the will to carry ooooooooon.

Who needs an audience at gigs anyway.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 am 

Been totally fascinates since this story broke a week or so ago.
The 'tour' ends this week and then he'd be heading back to the US.... Curious to see how and what plays out from here....

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:19 pm 

what an idiot
i mean he could have got himself a band together and done this honestly. seems he can play and write a tune
was it just impatience, like he needed to be famous now, rather than earning his way like everyone else

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

Zephirus wrote:
what an idiot
i mean he could have got himself a band together and done this honestly. seems he can play and write a tune
was it just impatience, like he needed to be famous now, rather than earning his way like everyone else

He could never have "earned his way" into this European tour and online approval.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:33 pm 

The guitarist and drummer quit, apparently they had no idea what was going on either.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/11/th ... -mid-tour/

This whole story has been so interesting... It would be really intriguing for someone to get an actual interview with this guy just to get inside his head and find out what the fuck he was thinking.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:43 pm 

I don't really have anything to add to the discussion that's already here, but I find this story really intriguing. To dupe so many people in this way is just unbelievable.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Twilightkid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:08 pm 

I keep coming back to, what would his 'end game' be...How could he not see this eventually falling apart?
In 7-10 days, he will be an afterthought and he'll have his 15 minutes of 'fame'.....

would really hope he does do an interview of some sort....

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

I hope he sells the movie rights to this debacle for the right price.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:13 pm 

If only he weren't so convincingly believably deluded, I'd think this would be a great way to introduce a new Spinal Tap-esque parody artiste.

Also, the fact that they're carrying on with the tour with just this dude and the bassist is brilliant. It does reek of "Derek Smalls on bass... he wrote this".

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:30 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
If only he weren't so convincingly believably deluded, I'd think this would be a great way to introduce a new Spinal Tap-esque parody artiste.

Also, the fact that they're carrying on with the tour with just this dude and the bassist is brilliant. It does reek of "Derek Smalls on bass... he wrote this".

Time for free form jazz?

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 pm 

thrashinbatman wrote:
What's so fucking weird is that if he was really going to put up this money and eat these major expenses he totally could have just bought on to an opening slot on a European tour and been infinitely better off. Also, how the fuck did he convince other musicians to go along with this dumb idea?

THIS. Seriously, why wouldn't you just buy on to open for a big band? More people will see you, more people will remember you after and you can still tour... If you've got the money, why would you do this???

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:46 am 

Bingewolf wrote:
THIS. Seriously, why wouldn't you just buy on to open for a big band? More people will see you, more people will remember you after and you can still tour... If you've got the money, why would you do this???

Fuckin' THREATIN plays support band for NO ONE.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:18 am 

Opening for a big band isn't as big of a fantasy as being the big band. This whole thing was someone living out a fantasy of course.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am 

n

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:31 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/shocking- ... m-fan-club

The article above addresses how they call the picture of them playing to an empty room a 'sound check,' meaning he's still not owning up to what he did despite all this proof. He goes on to say in another post, "This was just a soundcheck pic taken by a paparazzi .The actual gig rocked the house down and the fans went crazy. See for yourself on the upcoming shows." And my favorite: "Threatin gigs have all been great actually. Only fake haters are spreading illegal gossip trying to ruin the tour." :lol:

I found this story so interesting, that I had to check his music out. I watched two of the videos where he's playing all the instruments, and I have to say, it's not bad. Provided that he actually did play all the instruments on the recording, he has talent. This is poppy alternative rock with an edgy/emo vibe that I could hear being played on the radio, and potentially becoming popular. He has essentially ruined any chance of having a real career though, as no venue will book him after hearing of this. If you google the band now, most of what comes up are articles about this fake tour, so any promoter/venue that does 2 minutes of research will know he's full of shit. The cringiest part though is probably the fake youtube comments on the videos from girls wanting to "lick the sweat off his body;" that or the bio on his website, I highly recommend reading it if you want a good laugh.

https://www.threatin.com/bio

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next