Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:31 am 

Spider_X wrote:
Not sure where exactly to ask about this, so I am hoping that here is o.k.?

This is the best place to ask both questions: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94071&start=1160

Spider_X wrote:
I noticed something about a label and older digipak versions of a band, and while the digipak version itself has the catalog ID # of 042 on the cover spine, on the store website, the catalog ID # shows 042d.

So, what I'm wondering is if I need to just leave it as it already is on M-A? Or, should I add the 'd' at the end, to reflect what it's showing on the webstore? (There are only just a few digipak releases like this ~ only the older releases, not any of the newer ones.)

042 is correct. It probably won't hurt - though it may be redundant - to add the following under "identifiers":
Webstore item code: 024d
I wouldn't do it, though.

Spider_X wrote:
O.k., so in going back to the topic of "Bandcamp" and adding it to the "Version Disc." field... if, if I know for a fact it is only available on Bandcamp and not anywhere else, I am going to assume that it would be alright to add "Bandcamp", as the version

Still, no description is better than "Bandcamp". When this was discussed in the past, it was said - Azmodes' words if I'm not mistaken - that digital releases which are available at one or more outlets shouldn't have descriptions. However, for a digital release that's available for download via an official link, an additional note could be useful: "Available via an official download link." I tend to imbed the link, too: <a href="http://www.metal-archives.com/downloads/spider_x.zip">download</a>

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:42 am 

Antioch wrote:
Spider_X wrote:
Not sure where exactly to ask about this, so I am hoping that here is o.k.?

This is the best place to ask both questions: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=94071&start=1160

Spider_X wrote:
I noticed something about a label and older digipak versions of a band, and while the digipak version itself has the catalog ID # of 042 on the cover spine, on the store website, the catalog ID # shows 042d.

So, what I'm wondering is if I need to just leave it as it already is on M-A? Or, should I add the 'd' at the end, to reflect what it's showing on the webstore? (There are only just a few digipak releases like this ~ only the older releases, not any of the newer ones.)

042 is correct. It probably won't hurt - though it may be redundant - to add the following under "identifiers":
Webstore item code: 024d
I wouldn't do it, though.

Spider_X wrote:
O.k., so in going back to the topic of "Bandcamp" and adding it to the "Version Disc." field... if, if I know for a fact it is only available on Bandcamp and not anywhere else, I am going to assume that it would be alright to add "Bandcamp", as the version

Still, no description is better than "Bandcamp". When this was discussed in the past, it was said - Azmodes' words if I'm not mistaken - that digital releases which are available at one or more outlets shouldn't have descriptions. However, for a digital release that's available for download via an official link, an additional note could be useful: "Available via an official download link." I tend to imbed the link, too: <a href="http://www.metal-archives.com/downloads/spider_x.zip">download</a>

Hey, Antioch :) Thank you for advising me on both; your time is very much appreciated. Understood, just wanting to make sure.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm 

You're welcome. Concerning Q2, it's my take on it - never seen this asked before - so, a mod's input would still be appreciated.
Happy editing.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:29 pm 

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/MetalAtHeart has added some reissues with the wrong label... the blind guardians did not come out on no remorse, and the reverend bizarre not on sinister figure. might be legit versions with the wrong label, or duplicates. could be worth checking her other additions and edits and sending her a message...

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:06 pm 

A bit of a formatting question: I was going through the Contribute / To Do stuff and was looking at vinyl albums without proper side information. On there I found this boxed set. I located it on Discogs. I found a different vinyl boxed set and was using that as a reference for formatting, but after I changed everything it still shows up on the list for albums with only one side. Am I doing something wrong?

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm 

I stumbled upon https://www.metal-archives.com/users/memorius ' work yesterday, because of a slight error, and, although his work ethic seems impressive, there was something not right about it. today I found out that he added the german No Remorse recs (which closed some 28 years ago) as current label on three bands (Manacle, Open Burn, Traitors Gate) instead of the greek namesake. could you send him a message to be a bit more careful, please? and if someone wants to go through his edits, I fear there could be more gems :/

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:57 am 

Dawg561 is vandalising pages.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:08 am 

Krister Jensen wrote:
Dawg561 is vandalising pages.

Banned.

Spider_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:18 pm 

I have mentioned this guy before, somewhere (Kald Algide) https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Kald%20Algide , adding "Bandcamp" to fields here: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/C ... ort/745776 , and here: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/N ... rae/745812 (for example).

And, also adding a digital format for that Nazrak, here: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/N ... tiques_funèbres/745814 , when there was already a digital release present, here: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/N ... tiques_funèbres/723466 (for example).

He is already at Metal Freak status, and it would seem to me that no one has sent him a message asking for him to stop.

I know, I have been gotton on to and asked to stop, in which I have. And just (Imho), it really isn't fair if he is allowed to continue with such. He apparently doesn't know, and I am honestly not trying to make a deal of this, but he just keeps on doing both of those things, and not faulting anyone here, just something I've been observing for awhile, and I honestly think his actions are going unnoticed.

I hope that it is alright for me to mention these things, and I guess if any Mod were to kindly talk to him about this, it is definitely, and very gratefully appreciated. Thank you. :)

*(I do not understand why the last 2 links aren't working correctly :( , as I did copy/ paste them correctly; as I have just double-checked. But, maybe still you can go to Nazrak's band page, and know what I'm talking about?)

Krister Jensen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:13 am 

How is he able to do that? (Dawg561) - https://www.metal-archives.com/report/v ... 1/show/all

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:27 am 

Ugh, that brainless dipshit is still around? I've asked why banned users can change the status of reports in discord, they definitely shouldn't be able to imo.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:40 pm 

Dying_Hope is changing lengths of songs by one second.

ᴎostalgiʞK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:57 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Dying_Hope is changing lengths of songs by one second.

Wow...

I don't know if it's on topic.. But may I ask here if adding compilation albums from some labels but just in additional notes are available? Or this is not allowed and could be mistaken as a pointwhore?
For example:
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0013772579_10.jpg
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/0013772577_10.jpg
This album has 57 grindcore songs, some bands are here on MA.
Rules said: "Various artists" compilations (albums with over 6 participating bands are usually considered V/A compilations rather than splits, but not always" May be acceptable on additional notes section?

Other thing: I'm trying to add song lyrics to my band submitted, because they're not anywhere and I have to patiently listen and correct it constantly (In Microsoft Words obviously so I can add them not one-by-one) sorry if I add 6/10 songs one day and the rest 4 other day. May it lead to problems? Thanks.

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:34 pm 

What you described is basically a sampler, not a compilation.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:38 pm 

Listing V/A compilation appearances in the add. notes of bands is 100% fine and not point whoring. Ideally do them in this format: - "Track" on <i>Album title</i> (Label, Year) for consistency sake.

OFFICIAL_AWOKENINLIMBO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:34 am 

Bit of a report on myself, i Added Mercer jackson to a band he isn't apart of out of pure idiocy, please help

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:57 am 

:lol: :lol: file a report man, shit happens, mistakes happen. Dont make a habit of it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

OFFICIAL_AWOKENINLIMBO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:35 pm 

Alright thanks Erosion, i kind of freak out when i make mistakes like that.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 pm 

Please, can a moderator explain in a friendly manner to our dear forum colleague, who just has posted above, that the report function should not be used for shoutouts like "Why my band has not been accepted yet?" and also should not be used for personal mesages to other users? The fact, that it does not contain any links, is just the last piece of the puzzle, so to say. Thanks. Please see it here:https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/657680

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:13 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Please, can a moderator explain in a friendly manner to our dear forum colleague, who just has posted above, that the report function should not be used for shoutouts like "Why my band has not been accepted yet?" and also should not be used for personal mesages to other users? The fact, that it does not contain any links, is just the last piece of the puzzle, so to say. Thanks. Please see it here:https://www.metal-archives.com/report/view/id/657680

Done, but using it for "the band calls their music XY" is equally unprofessional ;)

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:30 pm 

Thanks for sorting it out quickly. AS for yyour further remark, qhich is undoubtely a bit personally directed, I have to tell you, that I would not use a reference to band pages and online reviews in regards to the bands' genre, if a certain moderator colleague of yours had not forbidden me to make direct remarks about the band's genre and metalness, citing a possible confusion with a moderator as a reason. This is not certainly the appropriate place for such a discussion, but as tthat ccertain moderator liked to remind me on many occassions, that he is the part of the staff and I am not and the the new staff is much more polite, wiser, has better work ethics and is simply in every way supreme to anybody helping out the site in the past, I have decided to follow his advice and distinguish my opinion from the moderator's opinion. simple as that, that only for an explanation. Of course, I can reformulate my remarksin reports, if you wish so.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:53 pm 

Witcher wrote:
but as tthat ccertain moderator liked to remind me on many occassions, that he is the part of the staff and I am not and the the new staff is much more polite, wiser, has better work ethics and is simply in every way supreme to anybody helping out the site in the past

This is in no way what happened, and I would greatly appreciate it if you would knock it off with this kind of passive-aggressive and spurious accusation. Thanks.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:11 pm 

O.K., just a few words. As i decided to returnto the site upon discovering, that my account still works, YI wondered, how the site will be changed, if there are any new rules and most importantly, how will I be accepted again The main reason for coming back was, that I wanted to submit some Czech bands, which were obscure and which would be missing in the database for somelong years. What made me feel uncomfortable at first was the strictnss, with which the moderators demand the proofs of valid releases and the almost constant demand for more smaples for bands, at best the new albums. Sincerely that made me feel somehow unconfortable, I cannot help itm but I said to myself "rules are rules" But then came the message about the reports and why it was cerrtainly politely formulated, Itit threw my back in the state of melancholy. I made those reports to share my knowledge and and to help toto progress with the band queue faster, and when such report was promptly reacted upon , it brought me joy and filled me, I admit itm with maybe foolish feeling of pride. To be stripped of this opportunity made me deply sad again. In my current life as an invalid, even such small victories and acheivements mean a lot to me, that is feel this way and maybe I hardly take a loss, too, who knows.? But what made me angry and depressed at the same time was the constant reminder, that I am not a part of the staff anymore and the common users have nothing to say and should just shut up, when they are told to. Even as a common user, i just do not like that kind of attitude and I think that I have already proven my knknowledge and abilities in the past. And finally, to be accussed of trying to ovrtake the site in a hostile manner-please, that is too much-just see the discussion around the band Killing Time in the accepted band thread. .Finally, when my bands get rjected, when I put about ten to twenty links to the field for moderators, with the reasoning , that they are not convincing enough, when I am trying to do my best, make really think about the work of the man from Greek mythology with that rock. These are the reasons, why I feel so bitter and uncomfortable around here, even if the site is still a great and almost complete resource on all things metal and why I still feel a bit of anxiety being here. i hope you will appreciate my sincerity, as i have made public some strictly personal feelings of mine. it is twice as hard for me, since I am not a native English speaker and sometimes I an not sure, if i can find the corrct views to eexplain my views. Sorry for possible typos

One more thing: Even if something of that content, which was said and which I was reffering to, was not meant the way I described, I certainly feel about it very negatively and embittered and won't stop feeling that way, just because you say so. You m from the tone of your post m may feel, that yI am passively aggressively accussing people, which you have single-handedly selected as the legimate owner and rule setter of thfeir site, bbecause you trust then and because you know from your interactions with them, that they are reliable and understand the functioning process of the site. That is your view, nothing against it. But I hhave a right for my own feelings. Good night.

OFFICIAL_AWOKENINLIMBO
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:11 am 

In reply to Witcher: Open womb isn't my band, I do have a project i am working on though.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:38 am 

OFFICIAL_AWOKENINLIMBO wrote:
In reply to Witcher: Open womb isn't my band, I do have a project i am working on though.
I know, I was just generalizing to point out acertain type of message. In your case , it was more of an "Why this band isn't finally accepted, when it has all the proofs?". By the way, i was not looking for your punishment, whichis why I said a "friendly message", I only wanted you to get an advice/explanation from an official source, what to use the report function for.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

This guy added pretty much a duplicate version for this album.

Also, he took the assignment for this report, which IMHO seems to be a little weird.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:22 pm 

cranialcrusherabc wrote:
This guy added pretty much a duplicate version for this album.

Also, he took the assignment for this report, which IMHO seems to be a little weird.

Taken care of

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:52 am 

will someone ever take care of HeavierThanThou who adds "bandcamp" string to version description field of digital releases?
I asked several times to send him a reminder!!
is it so difficult?

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:58 am 

Shadechaser wrote:
will someone ever take care of HeavierThanThou who adds "bandcamp" string to version description field of digital releases?
I asked several times to send him a reminder!!
is it so difficult?

Sent him a reminder.

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 am 

It happened at last?!
Thanks, man! :beer:

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:48 pm 

DeGa is adding track lengths one-by-one: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... ent/734800

Midnightwards666
Heavy Metal C-3PO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:40 pm 

I can't understand those who still point-whore at 18k points. It won't give them any more access to the site. It only lessens their chances of promotion to a knight/lord and gains them nothing. It's amazing they still do it and a mystery why.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:48 pm 

:ugh: Not his first time, either (this is actually the 3rd time he's been caught point-whoring). I'll send him another warning about it in a bit.

EDIT: Warned, next time, he's getting points taken away for sure.

cranial crusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 pm 

aapo666 is adding alternate spellings to several bands with 666 in their names, adding "SixSixSix" and "Six hundred and sixtysix" to that field.

Is that even allowed?

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:05 pm 

That does seem unnecessary. I understand why someone would add an alternate spelling to a band whose name had a number in it, but nobody is going to search SixSixSix. That's ridiculous.

Antioch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:23 pm 

cranialcrusherabc wrote:
Is that even allowed?

He started off quite well dealing with the other numbers, but got a little carried away with the 666 thing. Allowed in moderation, so to speak. :p

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:38 pm 

Putting "six six six" in the alt spelling for every band with it in their name is completely pointless and is borderline point-whoring. As Ant said, in moderation and for specific situations it's OK (for example his edit on "Will2Kill" is 100% fine). Commons sense is obviously key. Sent him a message.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:02 pm 

probably not point-driven, but could smn go through https://www.metal-archives.com/users/TheMetalMaster 's biographies? the Tipton one reads more like a promo blurb, and others are more anectodical/trivial...

Shadechaser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:41 am 

Hi.
Please add a warning for editors on a page of the band Bloodshot.
They are Russian band, not Ukrainian, as I initially mentioned submitting this band and edited already...
They also consider themselves as a Russian band, check this screenshot (dialogue in Russian language)
Please let's stay apolitical, however Crimea is a territory of Russian Federation since 2014, check Wikipedia or something else.
Sad but true.

~Guest 368187
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 am 

We still consider Crimea to be part of Ukraine until the International Standards Organization decides to recognize it as part of Russia, we go by the ISO codes. This has already been discussed in discord in the recent past.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 120  Next