Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:53 am 

"We realize we turned in a couple of classics back in the day and it's been 27 years since we released our last record. And while those past successes are notable, we feel in our hearts like this new record will be our first record, and we couldn't have a better partner in NB to bring it to you. New management, New line up, new label, new record, new EXHORDER!"

https://www.facebook.com/ExhorderNOLA/p ... &__tn__=-R

Last edited by Dembo on Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am 

Translation:

"We realized that a ton of other niche metal bands are reuniting after three decades, and figured we could find some hired guns and jump on that train. Now that there are basically no other groove bands that people take seriously, it felt like the perfect time to cash in."

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am 

I'd be interested in some new material. I watched a YouTube video of a recent concert and they sounded great IMO.

Last edited by fourrobert13 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 am 

vaguely interested to see what they can contribute

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 am 

Yes, I'm sure TONS of cash will come from this reunion. You have your finger on the pulse of today's scene.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:59 am 

Excited for this! 30 years is a long time to go between records so I'll wait and judge accordingly. However, 'Slaughter' was one of the first records that got me into Groove Metal. Would love to finally see them live too...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 pm 

Bingewolf wrote:
Excited for this! 30 years is a long time to go between records so I'll wait and judge accordingly.

It's been 26 years.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:41 pm 

Dembo wrote:
Bingewolf wrote:
Excited for this! 30 years is a long time to go between records so I'll wait and judge accordingly.

It's been 26 years.

Actually 27... However, the math doesn't work until 2019 when they'll probably release something new.

Quote:
Adds LaBella: "What an incredible honour it is to be added to the Nuclear Blast family! We've had such a great year already, and now this! We are so proud and could not be in better company moving forward. We are excited for the future. We realize we turned in a couple of classics back in the day and it's been 27 years since we released our last record. And while those past successes are notable, we feel in our hearts like this new record will be our first record, and we couldn't have a better partner in NB to bring it to you. New management, new line up, new label, new record, new EXHORDER

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/exhord ... t-records/

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:55 pm 

I used a calculator before my previous post and now again. 2018-1992=26. Since it's 2018, it's been 26 years. However, in 2019 it will have been 27 years. And I know the announcement said 27, since I included that in the quote in the OP. That's an error on Exhorder's behalf.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:14 pm 

!

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:30 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Actually been 26 years, 8 months and 6 days since 'The Law'. Come on guys, get it right!

Is that a Barenaked Ladies song?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:06 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Actually been 26 years, 8 months and 6 days since 'The Law'. Come on guys, get it right!

Yes, and please NEVER round up or speak in generalities.

I'm surprised that people above seem to characterize SitV as a "groove" album.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Yes, I'm sure TONS of cash will come from this reunion. You have your finger on the pulse of today's scene.

They've played 14 festivals (not just shows, festivals) in the past year. Putting out new material on one of the biggest metal labels in the world is going to mean even more live opportunities.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:59 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

They've played 14 festivals (not just shows, festivals) in the past year. Putting out new material on one of the biggest metal labels in the world is going to mean even more live opportunities.

I still don't see this reunion in any way as a "cash-in". This is Exhorder we're talking about, not Anselmo playing sets of all Pantera songs. Are they all quitting their day jobs now?

Let's see how well their new album is even received, and what style the new material is in. If they start copying Avenged Sevenfold, I'll agree with you.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:01 pm 

And my cash they will receive because they've earned and deserved these opportunities. Remember, they've been trying to get going again off and on since about the turn of the century and couldn't sustain momentum for various reasons, Frankie's death probably being the toughest to deal with.

Can't be too cynical about bands reuniting as long as they deliver. I've seen Exhorder, Demolition Hammer, etc. live over the last couple of years, and I'm proud they're bigger now than ever. Should've been that way from the start.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:38 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Translation:

"We realized that a ton of other niche metal bands are reuniting after three decades, and figured we could find some hired guns and jump on that train. Now that there are basically no other groove bands that people take seriously, it felt like the perfect time to cash in."

Hey can I borrow some of that salt for my chips?

Good news, their two albums were heavy as hell so I'm keen to hear more. Great band.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:07 pm 

Got ahead of myself in the anticipated albums thread as they were probably in pre-pro at the time, but they've finally and officially begun recording the new album.

Vinnie hosted a live chat to talk about it, and here are a few bits he mentioned:

- late summer/fall release expected
- recording at OCD with Duane Simoneaux co-producing
- stylistically expect to hear from both albums, what could have been between them, and newer, fresh elements
- Chris Nail has been a part of the process as a "consultant" in that he's not recording, but giving his input and showing techniques as a way to keep him involved in the band creatively
- seems this'll be primarily written by Vinnie and Kyle, but Jason VieBrooks and Marzi Montazeri have also brought in ideas
- already in the early stages of writing for the NEXT album
- reissues are coming, presumably courtesy of Nuclear Blast, so don't fork over for beat up original presses or Metal Mind represses unless you really want to

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Last edited by ModusOperandi on Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm 

Stoked to hear this! Keeping my hopes in check because it has been so long but I love 'Slaughter in the Vatican'...

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am 

The album is called Mourn the Southern Skies, and is released on September 20th. A new song:

01. My Time
02. Asunder
03. Hallowed Sound
04. Beware the Wolf
05. Yesterday's Bones
06. All She Wrote
07. Rumination
08. The Arms of Man
09. Ripping Flesh
10. Mourn the Southern Skies

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:55 am 

Album name and cover artwork are a big 'yikes' from me. Probably never would have checked this anyways other than morbid curiosity, but even that is gone now.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:29 am 

Fascinating to me that Exhorder is now 2/5th's Heathen. Not something I'd ever see coming.

Anyway, I dig the single.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:35 am 

Yeah, the cover is atrocious, but the single is pretty darn good and heavy.

metalMT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm 

The Law was crushing, the new single isn't. I'll give the album a go, and will most likely watch them in Manchester in October. Kyle Thomas still sounds great, and the song was okay, but I just wasn't expecting them to sound so 'generic'.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:53 pm 

Powerful vocal performance and attitude. They're picking right where they left off....in a manner of speaking, this generic but still passionate display isn't a big stretch from what they'd have become.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm 

Fear Factory vibes too vocally

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 pm 

Anybody else hears Fucking Hostile when you jam that single? Meh song all around...

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm 

I really enjoyed the tracked. It actually makes me want to hear more. Catchy chorus as well. This is probably one of my most anticipated releases this year.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 pm 

I like it a lot. It's been 27 years, so it could've gone either way concerning the quality. I wonder what people expect/want after almost 3 decades?

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:02 am 

Not bad, though it doesn't particularly sound like Exhorder to me. It sounds more like a slightly superior take on Dukes-era Exodus, or like if a nu-metal / groove metal band (mostly) stopped that style and began producing straight for the jugular thrash. Still, I'm interested in seeing how the final product as a whole turns out.

Last edited by Metal_Jaw on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:17 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:
It sounds more like a slightly superior take on Dukes-era Exodus

Exactly this.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:49 am 

I'm sick of band logos being the same damn color as the album art nowadays (yes I know not all of them are like that, but it's an annoying trend). It's just flawed from a design standpoint, nothing pops or catches your eye... then again that single is some generic derivative bullshit anyways so who cares.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:00 pm 

The lyrics remind me of Kyle's little monologue before they played "The Law" when I saw the band live a few months ago:

"This next song right here, we wrote when we were angry young men. And now, things have changed. We are now angry old men. But it's the same idea. I'm just angry at my joint pain and angry that my coffee's weak."

(source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh76J3m0M7I)

New song is likable, but also heavily Nuclear Blasted. Not sure if I'd want to sit through most of an hour of it.

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:04 am 

Awww, they don't sound like Pantera anymore.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 am 

Immortal666 wrote:

You got that backwards chief.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:52 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:

Exactly. All I hear in that single is Pantera. A sped-up bore that's drinking from the source material so hard, you'd think they'd have drowned by now. Pitiful.

Looking forward to the album!

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:19 am 

KrigareTjovane wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
Immortal666 wrote:

Exactly. All I hear in that single is Pantera. A sped-up bore that's drinking from the source material so hard, you'd think they'd have drowned by now. Pitiful.

Looking forward to the album!

I think cultofkraken meant that Pantera sounds like Exhorder rather than it's Exhorder that sounds like Pantera.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:45 am 

If I recall correctly, Phil or someone in Pantera admitted they got their sound from Exhorder. Exhorder on the other hand admitted that Pantera put more effort into it and is probably the reason they (Exhorder) disappeared and Pantera got bigger at the time. I'd have to Google it to find the exact quotes, but that's the gist of it. Regardless, Pantera is no more and Exhorder are back, so now maybe they'll put some effort into it this go around.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:30 pm 

These guys are playing at a fest I'm going to so hopefully they bring it live. I like the first record and I'll probably grab this from them at the fest.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:04 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
If I recall correctly, Phil or someone in Pantera admitted they got their sound from Exhorder. Exhorder on the other hand admitted that Pantera put more effort into it and is probably the reason they (Exhorder) disappeared and Pantera got bigger at the time. I'd have to Google it to find the exact quotes, but that's the gist of it. Regardless, Pantera is no more and Exhorder are back, so now maybe they'll put some effort into it this go around.

The Slaughter in the Vatican demo came out in 1987 so I’d say considering they all knew each other that it was pretty obvious where Pantera shifted their sound to after Power Metal. I definitely think it was a conscious effort to make a more commercially viable Exhorder sound. Honestly Pantera was all about getting big and they were smart in predicting the sound that would blow up.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 pm 

Had the gist of it right, just the wrong participants saying them....

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... f-possibly

An excerpt from the article that I was attempting to recall earlier:

Quote:
Midwest Metal: Now onto EXHORDER. Not to stir up any tried-and-true bullshit here, but there's been a legend approaching 20 years that PANTERA deliberately ripped off EXHORDER. Your vocal style was an obvious influence on Phil Anselmo in the early '90s, and there are even old-school pictures of Anselmo proudly wearing an EXHORDER T-shirt. Perhaps it's time to shitcan this legend, or instill truth to it. Would you defend the claim that PANTERA deliberately ripped off EXHORDER in order to survive the passing of the glam-rock trend, or argue that PANTERA were slightly influenced by EXHORDER's style and simply mixed it together with the late Dimebag Darrell's incredible guitar playing?

Kyle Thomas: The thing I hate the most of this topic is just how handcuffed we are to their success. Did they rip us off? Possibly. Was it deliberate? Maybe. Were they influenced by us? Definitely. Did they work a helluva lot harder than we did? Absolutely. Case closed.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next