Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:00 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I don't think we should dismiss anyone for being "too far left." Moderate Democrats didn't really win in the midterms. This article explains it pretty well: That stark, unapologetic progressives came out on top in this election. The country is far more left than it seems, and those willing to dive into that have done well.

This is a bad interpretation of what happened last week. Progressives in general lost competitive elections while winning in true-blue territory. Competitive elections in swing states mostly went to moderate Dems who spoke to local issues with the occasional nod towards bipartisanship.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:36 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
I don't think we should dismiss anyone for being "too far left." Moderate Democrats didn't really win in the midterms. This article explains it pretty well: That stark, unapologetic progressives came out on top in this election. The country is far more left than it seems, and those willing to dive into that have done well.

I don't think that article makes the case it sets out to make about progressive candidates being the best bet for electoral victory in 2020, considering the candidates it references most as examples of success... still lost their races. In Florida, the perennial swing state, Gillum managed to come up short against Ron DeSantis, of all people. Honestly, it was his race to lose, and it looks like that's what he did.

Progressives do just fine in places that are already fairly blue. But the notion that you can win over swing states-- and even deep-red territory-- by moving further to the left just doesn't hold up. That article talks about how Abrams and O'Rourke got close to winning by going progressive but makes no mention of how Democrats actually won swing states-- Sinema in Arizona and Rosen in Nevada-- by playing to the very moderate image it's arguing is a recipe for defeat.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 pm 

You completely mischaracterized why Gillum lost, shame on you. He lost because Florida is stuffed with racist old people who'd rather vote for a rabid echidna than a black person, and he pissed off his base by campaigning with Hillary and talking about bridging the gap with those racist old people. Kara Eastman's senate loss conveys what you're trying to get at much more handily.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:14 am 

Sinema conveys it perfectly. One out of every eight GOP voters in that election voted for a Dem senator. Wouldn't have happened with a Bernie democrat.

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:49 am 

darkeningday wrote:
You completely mischaracterized why Gillum lost, shame on you. He lost because Florida is stuffed with racist old people who'd rather vote for a rabid echidna than a black person, and he pissed off his base by campaigning with Hillary and talking about bridging the gap with those racist old people. Kara Eastman's senate loss conveys what you're trying to get at much more handily.

I may have been unduly harsh on Gillum for the loss, but you're kind of missing my point, which is that it doesn't make much sense to argue that the 2018 midterms are proof that progressive Democrats win swing states and moderate Democrats lose them, especially using Gillum as a star example, because... well, Gillum lost, and the very kind of moderate Democrat that article decried won in Arizona. Kara Eastman makes that point well too, yeah, but she wasn't mentioned in the article, so I didn't mention her in my response to it (she ran for Congress in the Nebraska 2nd though, not for the Senate).

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

This is a bad interpretation of what happened last week. Progressives in general lost competitive elections while winning in true-blue territory. Competitive elections in swing states mostly went to moderate Dems who spoke to local issues with the occasional nod towards bipartisanship.

Fair enough.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:37 pm 

Da fuq? Is Trump actually pushing for something almost unambiguously good? Am I dreaming? Please tell me this is all just a rouse to permit the children of illegal immigrants to be placed in labor camps or something.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/us/p ... trump.html
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Da fuq? Is Trump actually pushing for something almost unambiguously good? Am I dreaming? Please tell me this is all just a rouse to permit the children of illegal immigrants to be placed in labor camps or something.

He sees prison in his future, that's why.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:55 pm 

Also his daughter and son-in-law have been pushing for some sort of criminal justice reform for his entire term thus far. Like, Kushner's aides actually worked with Hill staff for a while last year; it wasn't just a public vanity project. The problem was that there were three or four different groups of MCs with their own reform proposals, and leadership (read: McConnell and Schumer) didn't want to make prison reform a priority. Sessions was also probably an obstacle.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:00 pm 

Sessions was most definitely an obstacle. Hate to say it, but Obama would never have let anything like this through (arguably one of the most hostile presidents to prisoners and prison reform in a century) and I rather doubt Hillary would have either, given her track record. If this is really going to reduce mandatory minimums and prison sentences for nonviolent drug crimes, even if there's a clause in there as Zelkiiro implied named "Colluding with Russia for opposition research for the 2016 election isn't a crime," I can only see this as an unambiguously good thing. And in striking contrast to almost everything else he's said for the past two years, this will inordinately benefit minorities in America.

And fucking Grassley was pushing for this too? Did the earth's polarity just flip for a day?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:55 am 

It seems Michael Avenatti's nascent 2020 campaign is now likely stillborn, seeing as he just got arrested for felony domestic violence.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/michael ... lence.html

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:41 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
It seems Michael Avenatti's nascent 2020 campaign is now likely stillborn, seeing as he just got arrested for felony domestic violence.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/michael ... lence.html

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:00 pm 

Honestly, it amuses me to no end that the Trump administration is about to position itself to the left of Obama on prison reform. I'll take it though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:21 pm 

Is it, though? I honestly feel like this is just one of those platform points that Trump never even acknowledged during his campaign, so his underlings/children are picking up on it. Give it a week. Dems will speak up about it more, right wing media will start trashing them and the reform by proxy, then Trump will bellow his discontent.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:32 am 

Considering Obama forced through some of most vile conservative legislation this country has ever seen regarding torture, illegal immigration "reform" and drug legislation, is it really that unprecedented that the Trump Administration might manage to do something decent once in a while? The First Step Act is a good bill and if it sets a model for state prisons to follow it's going to help a lot of people. It also opens the door for more sweeping prison reform in the future. Generally, popular conservative media treats Trump as an infallible demigod, and if they don't like something he does (with a few noted exceptions) they usually just ignore it. And that's exactly what's happened here, mostly radio silence from the usual suspects and even alt-right hugboxes like The_Donald are voicing their support for it.

I think it's important to give him credit where it due, just like when he shot down TPP. It makes the criticisms hit that much harder.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:29 pm 

Prison reform has been needed for a long time, and frankly I'm shocked to hear that Rs might be the ones who do it. We have people serving decades for piddly shit like possession. We spend more incarcerating people than we do on public schools. It's insane.

The only problem is that prison/sentencing reform is one of those issues that has been around for years, and consequently has been one of those things that both Ds and Rs want to prevent the other side from getting credit for accomplishing. And then there's McConnell, who as Senate Majority Leader will simply refuse to schedule a vote. All the public outcry in the world won't budge him, because he doesn't give a shit. According to the New York Times, he's already had that meeting with Trump, saying that it's not going to happen this year.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:46 pm 

Yeah, it's important to point out that this act will only affect federal prison; the vast majority of incarcerated people are in state prisons. That said, it should set a precedent for states to follow, and the fact it's being pushed through by Republicans will help that a lot in red states (blue states would follow suit regardless). Though I would hazard a guess that federal prison has a lot fewer wrongfully imprisoned people per capita than state...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:38 pm 

The prison reformation bill saga continues to develop. It's weird to see Lindsay Graham and Rand Paul taking the right side of things, almost weird enough to make it suspicious, but the fact the only opposition to the bill comes from other republicans (and likely reptilian overlord himself Mitch McConnell) means it can't be too bad. Here's hoping.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:50 pm 

True story: yesterday on the metro I yelled out "painu vittuun Trump" when I learned that Trump said Finland doesn't have forest fires because they rake leaves. I mean, by itself it's inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, but yeesh.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/ ... nd-1002526

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:13 am 

darkeningday wrote:
The prison reformation bill saga continues to develop. It's weird to see Lindsay Graham and Rand Paul taking the right side of things, almost weird enough to make it suspicious, but the fact the only opposition to the bill comes from other republicans (and likely reptilian overlord himself Mitch McConnell) means it can't be too bad. Here's hoping.

Mitch McConnell isn't a reptilian. He's that guy from Hannibal who cut his face off and fed it to dogs.

The resemblance is uncanny.

...too uncanny.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:25 am 

Rake Finland Great Again - Rake News?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:21 pm 

Hah, yeah, been having a shitty time lately but that had me cracking up today.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:15 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Rand Paul has talked about prison reform and curtailing the war on drugs for his entire public life, going back to when he was a guest on local Kentucky TV in the 90s.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:52 pm 

Yeah, there are really only two things I think Rand sincerely believes in and criminal justice reform is one of them. That's been a long-standing Paul family obsession.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:01 pm 

Lock her up / But her emails

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... a2e31df0a5

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:15 pm 

Remember when people said not charging anyone in a case involving hundreds of Title 18 Section 793(f) felonies would mean that nobody would care when future VIPs did it?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm 

Trump to end $250 million necessary military mission campaign ad now that midterms are over

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/ ... me-1005510

(seriously, DOD should just send an invoice to the RNC for this manchild's live-action MicroMachines reenactment)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 am 

Morrigan wrote:

Comments to these articles on Facebook are filled with ironic "LOCK HER UP" comments, as she deserves. Trump needs to be drowned in the chant.

No doubt he'll pretend this is fine now.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:24 am 

Just here for E³'s salt on Trump's hilarious official response to the Saudis.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:33 am 

We may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Yeshua, but it would have been foolish to turn down those 30 pieces of silver.

The sad thing is, this is only like the 3rd or 4th most outrageous Trump story this week.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:13 am 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fan ... dinar-scam

Quote:
The investors, who call themselves “Dinarians,” gather on forums with names like Dinar Detective to dissect every news item for what, if anything, it could mean for their dinar. On another site, Dinar Vets, would-be posters have to verify or “dinar-ify” themselves by posting a picture of their dinars to prove that they are really committed to the cause.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:24 pm 

Appeasement and gaslighting, very nice.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... oFTrBLxJRg

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:44 pm 

That Iraqi dinar story is beyond hilarious. It's like crypto nuts but somehow... even stupider? There's a great bit on the latest premium chapo ep about it.

And yeah Hillary just doesn't get it.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:52 am 

Hilldawg wrote:
But look at what they're wearing!

No surprise that she's going to victim blame.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:27 am 

She won't win the nomination, but could her simply running in the primary negatively affect the person who ends up winning the nom? If the nomination goes to another conservative Democrat like herself, I doubt her simply running would do much. But if it ends up going to a progressive... egads.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 am 

I think it’s always good to have all wings of your party represented at the nomination process. If Clinton were to run and lose, that would send a much stronger message that the Democrats are ready to accept their base is shifting. “We again had the option to stick with the Old Guard, but actively chose someone else”, means more than “The ballot only featured the new wave of hardcore progressives, so we just picked one.”
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:17 pm 

True. And it would be kinda funny to watch her get owned once again.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:13 am 

Well so far, 100% of the candidates who have beaten Hillary Clinton have gone on to be president. That's an important statistic to consider.

kaoswar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:51 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

He sees prison in his future, that's why.

prison for what exactly??? don't say Russia meddling because anything the dems claimed was so obvious NEVER surfaced in this bogus probe.

kaoswar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
She won't win the nomination, but could her simply running in the primary negatively affect the person who ends up winning the nom? If the nomination goes to another conservative Democrat like herself, I doubt her simply running would do much. But if it ends up going to a progressive... egads.

She will never get any nomination. She committed political suicide when she lost to Trump, opened her fuckin gaping mouth to spew retarded shit like the Russian collusion, and defended the #metoo movement when she is married to the poster child of the movement. Plus, she rigged the last primary in her favor. Her health issues and early onset of dementia will plague her by the time 2020 rolls around.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 227  Next