Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bayern
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:11 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Sorry for the double post, but there's a question that has bugged me for a long time.

Which of these sentences sounds better to you, from a grammatical point of view?
1. The band know exactly what they are doing.
2. The band knows exactly what it is doing.

Grammar-wise the second one. Certainly.

I personally alternate between the two, on a whim. Sometimes I look at the number of the musicians involved; three and above, I go for the first option.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:37 am 

You knew it already Gasmask. The band is a single unit. If it knows something it's only because it knew it as a group. Therefore, the band knew it was a thing.

The band is.

The musicians are.

A guitarist is, guitarists are.

The question comes to agency with a band but it is also a unit when it comes to an album. Is the band many different persons? Then, each person knows something different from the other but they're still one band and the album they produce is one product. Our language is Machiavellian in that way, the means justify a single end in many a place. If they're a single unit, forthright in their ambition, then they aren't a they, even as a series of individuals worthy of individual descriptions, still a single coalition and grouping?

A band is tough to describe in plenty of ways but if the entire ensemble falls under one name, it's a band and therefore worth being considered in the singular, no matter the genius of its parts that contribute to the name. If they all had different names they'd be releasing a split or totally separate albums. Each different name deserves its own sentence, but its judgement is based on the group in plenty of ways in a review, is it not?

A band is, a group is, that is how it goes in this standard of our language, no matter how different its many parts may be to its mechanism. I think it's beautiful how brutally thorough this language needs to be but also how tough it can be to recognize when it comes to the Romantics to understand that multiple people are simply one. Historical writing was that brutally thorough persuasion. Milton was the exact opposite with endless abstraction, but both work in their own ways and I always feel as though I'm not getting my point across now unless I'm being that thorough person compared to playing with the language, though I like to try my hand at the abstract artist when available just to beautify my language. Still, description, alliteration, and to being too serious, work just like I was told would when I was as kid even when I tried my hand at absurdist dry humor that never flew the right ways. 'Therein lies the challenge' (as Dante said about achieving orgasm for a woman in Clerks). Language is here to 'woo women' (according to Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society), and I know there aren't any here so why waste my time? Well, because fuck that shit I want to sound smart! I want to be the best that I can of this outcast wasteland of useless people who spout shit about albums that most people don't listen to while even fewer read about. I want to say the best I can about what I like and say even better about what I hate. That motivates me, that makes me want to kick some ass. The fact that no one will read it makes me want to be the best me I can be without any judgement from anyone but me.

But still I'll worry here and there. I'll wonder if I had that tense match on a sentence, I'll wonder if that comma was in the right place, I'll wonder whether or not someone saw that mistake that I thought was so glaring to me on the tenth proofread that made me desire to make my brain chew lead. And here is where the overthinking that brings the group vs singular question about a band comes when it is so ill-defined in the "dictionary" of publicity, dictated by Rolling Stone, Decibel, and dozens of cunts paid for something that we do far better as a hobby while actually describing music rather than lauding personalities that have left bands decades before. While those cunts are too busy telling people about the dozen bands a member has played with without describing the music, these folks agonize about the right syntax to make a review work. Where is the manual of style here when there isn't one for "professionals" who "follow" bands by getting a CD and then saying nothing but "it has songs on it" for a review. I'm damn glad this group wants to talk about actual adherence to some sort of standard because it's not there when it comes to music reviewing and too many reviews are just spreads of accolades without substance.

Thank you for trying to match up.

In English, we seem to be far too willing to join people and things to a singular grouping in this thick and gruff language, even when we're trying to acknowledge the separations and nuances we see, and that is a brilliant show of linguistic force influencing mentality in some ways. No wonder English is the bastardization of the precision of German and the beauty of Latin. It has both aspects while also showing its own sovereignty, one that I very much enjoy playing with while I write.

The difference that seems larger to me, when it comes to a single group and it main mentor, is in someone as versatile as a Glenn Miller who employed so man musicians. We have no real word for it more than 'collaboration'. A single person who employed many parts, not unlike Elvis and his pelvis, he was called 'Glenn Miller and his band' at the end of the day, same with many musicians of that era, but it gets muddled with the placement of ownership when the many parts start dictating the flow that the name is pressed upon. Still, the band was simply a band no matter how many revolving musicians joined the main man and boy did they jam.

Plus, ain't no Temptations to talk about when it comes to disputing an apostrophe in this thread I'm guessing. We're in a metal forum at the end of the day.

Last edited by ~Guest 135946 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:37 am 

In fact, grammatically, I'm in not doubt, but I feel very uncomfortable ascribing actions to a band like 'know', especially when I'm using the pronoun 'it'. Surely a collection of people should be called 'they' and therefore should be plural. This isn't like saying "The government decides laws," because the government is sort of an entity by itself, without people. Most of my reviews contain the first kind of sentence...

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:06 am 

That's one that seems up to the person. I usually use they when I ascribe something more motivated, where I'd say 'it' with something like its place in a style.

'Mayhem has its place in black metal.'

'They wanted to play "Freezing Moon" at Wacken.'

Does that help? Agency seems more the thing to me in that context rather than just the unit as a thing. It's what the unit does that also makes it forthright in its ambitions.

Context makes words work in a lot of ways, especially when matching up.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:20 am 

It depends. I'd say "On The Magus, Sadistik Exekution kick ass", but "Autopsy is my favorite band". Whether a band should be referred to as a group or as a singular unit, will vary according to context. The first sentence refers to the efforts and resulting achievement of the members of Sadistik Exekution, whereas the second refers to Autopsy as an entity as it has existed over time and with a changing lineup (it's also the way people say it colloquially and would sound strange otherwise). I remember a linguist (probably Pinker) saying that British writers tend to favor using plural verbs with collective nouns (band, committee, family, etc) while Americans use singular verbs (or maybe it was the other way around).

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:26 am 

/way too drunk rant.

That's gone.

That Voivod review is great though.

Last edited by ~Guest 135946 on Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:11 am 

That GiantRex review of "The Astonishing" is an excellent read. A few minutes of genuine amusement without any knowledge of the album from my side - I haven't heard a single note, but I can feel the reviewer's pain.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

CHAIRTHROWER
Methed-burnt rogue babelfish

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:57 pm 

Wow! Thanks for the oh-so-groovy quip(s) to my effect, Five_Nails...I shall officially incorporate said mini-homily (among many of vast ones!) in ye' ole profile somehow - why not?! [oh, it probably looks like I read many others' writes as I often end up of spouting jocose/positive comments about those I do read! I want to make more of an effort to put aside time just for that - sort of like checking in with the newspaper or the sports page on a daily basis...I was doing that for a while whilst I lived where there was constant wi-fi but now when I get to the library or so, I often rush things and fail to stop and take the time to "sniff" the roses! I usually make it a point to read at least one every time I go on, but admittedly, I waver around the longer ones, which isn't fair if I expect others to glean my own long-winded - and at times, turgid - reviews. Fer instance, although I offered feedback on 5Nails' CDDS writes (kids around, ya dig?!) I've yet to actually read them. Ok, I'll glean one now, before I get back to my homework (Striker beckons, albeit slightly tepidly?)...

And yeah, Fifth Angel is certainly sweet, along with classic 80s era Riot, as Tanuki is so busily (as well as sagaciously) extirpating - or espousing, rather - of late. I verily dug his Thundersteel one, (I'd even give it a perfect score!...well both album and review I suppose!) esp. the note on "Johnny's Back" - my preferred cut, I think (although the jury will always be out!) - and most admiringly/admirably, the review's fantastic denouement, re-posted here in all its riveting glory!:

"While they may sound similar explanatorily (that's totally a word, look it up), they're night and day musically. Painkiller is so much thrashier and more sinister, for a start. If both albums were women, Painkiller would be a dominatrix and Thundersteel would be a pious nun. With huge tits. And also a dominatrix. [HAHA! (then little) haha...even the MA word checker is jammed up on "explanatorily"! - good job!, although I'd spell "thrashier" as "thrashy-er"...]

What I'm trying to say is, Thundersteel is its own beast, in its own league, and on its own astral plane. This sound has been emulated over the years by albums like Phantom's Cyberchrist, and even relatively modern affair has taken cues from it, like Crystal Viper's Queen of the Witches, but it's never been truly recaptured. The sounds created here are reminiscent of literal magic, conjuring feelings of triumph and bittersweet nostalgia even throughout your first listen. And goddamn, what I wouldn't do to re-experience my very first listen.

Rare is the album/first listening which does that...

Gas, I think #2 works best considering band is singular...the first one just doesn't sit well, no?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 am 

To add my two cents to the grammar discussion, consider:
"Autopsy is a band I love. Their albums are fantastic."

In the second sentence, I'm using "their" as a shorthand for the group of people that comprises the band, rather than the name Autopsy, and it's implicit from the context which band I'm talking about. Band, group, outfit, orchestra, or the band by name, are all singular entities.
Cat III wrote:
It depends. I'd say "On The Magus, Sadistik Exekution kick ass", but "Autopsy is my favorite band".

In this case, you're using the band name to refer to the group of people that forms the band. You could've used "they" instead of the band name, but the context might not implicate the band name strongly enough, so it's better to use the actual band name instead.

So maybe it's the intention that counts? I think it would make sense, because it's certainly rubbish to refer to the musicians as a group as a singular thing, so it only works when the intention is ambiguous, I think.

As for the British/American thing, one writer whom I've seen using plural verbs for singular subjects consistently (when it comes to bands) is Acrobat, who is English. I say he should know better, he's a teacher for fugg's sake.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:59 am 

This is a pretty good summary of the... confusion around singular and plural with band names. It's not written in stone, but it does give a good assessment of how it (generally) works:
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/educa ... -or-plural

Quote:
That’s your Quick and Dirty Tip: If you’re in the US, treat band names like they sound—singular if they sound singular and plural if they sound plural—but if you’re writing with British English, treat all band names as plural.

Also, regarding "their albums" in that sentence, Ilwhyan, you have to take that with a bit of a grain of salt. "Their albums" is normally plural, but "their albums" could also be using singular they, which is perfectly fine and common, too. Some people see using "their" instead of "its" as less rude/crude/brass and perhaps more accurate in its ambiguity, even within the context of nouns that describe entities. The use of singular they/their is not entirely grammatically accurate, but it has become far more common in day-to-day speech. The English language is evolving.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:01 am 

I'm grateful for all the advice that has been received about using a band as a plural and singular noun, but it seems like there's no exact answer to that question. I think I tend to use plural for almost everything, but I wasn't aware that was a British thing particularly. I'll keep writing what feels natural unless it's totally weird. Thanks guys!

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 am 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I'm grateful for all the advice that has been received about using a band as a plural and singular noun, but it seems like there's no exact answer to that question. I think I tend to use plural for almost everything, but I wasn't aware that was a British thing particularly. I'll keep writing what feels natural unless it's totally weird. Thanks guys!

Yeah, it seems a little weird on the British thing to me. I'd still say that The Beatles are and The Beatles is can be valid depending on context.

'The Beatles are coming to America' would work if the Fab Four all come off the plane, but the 'The Beatles is an influential English rock band' works just as well in the right context. Maybe historical context would work better than just saying 'Brits here' and 'Americans there'.

Everything we review is in the past but, like reviewing a book, it's still said in the present as a living piece for the most part unless giving specific historical context to the work. Still, I like considering the band a unit, its musicians individuals, and making muddy a sentence about a band like The Meads of Asphodel by putting that band in the singular because it seems to better show that the band itself is working in (dis-)harmonious union.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:11 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... cker/88090

Another review that fundamentally misunderstands the style and band it's attempting to review. This is pretty much exactly like a fan of trad metal reviewing DM and criticizing it for having a lack of catchy choruses and melodic refrains in comparison.

I dunno - it's acceptable for sure. But I wouldn't review something if I just wholly didn't care for what it intended to be in general. And I find it a bit shallow to expect everything to have some outward display of variety, as if that's the only way for something to have depth, to expect a classic rock/metal album to innovate in ways we expect today with all kinds of other influences always in your face.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:53 am 

Empyreal wrote:
https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Iron_Maiden/Killers/74/doomknocker/88090

Another review that fundamentally misunderstands the style and band it's attempting to review. This is pretty much exactly like a fan of trad metal reviewing DM and criticizing it for having a lack of catchy choruses and melodic refrains in comparison.

I dunno - it's acceptable for sure. But I wouldn't review something if I just wholly didn't care for what it intended to be in general. And I find it a bit shallow to expect everything to have some outward display of variety, as if that's the only way for something to have depth, to expect a classic rock/metal album to innovate in ways we expect today with all kinds of other influences always in your face.

The guy spends the first 2 paragraphs talking about himself as if the world needs to give a shit, then proceeds to project so-called metal innovations from the 1990s onto an album that was recorded in 1981 (the fact that the guy has only reviewed 5 albums from the 80s out of nearly 400 reviews should raise some red flags). I'm going to disagree with you on this one, I think this review would be nuke-worthy if it were my call, if I were a newcomer to that album I'd have no clue what it sounds like apart from it being supposedly non-innovative (an extremely dubious statement when comparing that album to others that came out in 1981 and before).
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Last edited by hells_unicorn on Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 am 

Yeah you got a point there.

It's also just crazy how many people seem to hate on Killers. This is like the third time in a row. It'd at least be interesting to see a negative review for like, Powerslave or something.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 am 

https://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/ ... 666/351998

Now THAT's how you write a negative Burzum review! There are a couple flubs here and there (Varg recorded the album before his arrest but it was released afterward) but it's a very fair assessment, even if I don't entirely agree.

meshigene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:29 pm 

I love Gas' review of Nocturnal Lust's "Ghosting". It's a little gimmicky all right, but the gimmick caught me off guard at first, actually succeeds in making a point and is simply used remarkably well, together with the explanation. Not to mention Gas' taste is usually extremely similar to my own so there's that.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:44 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

It's also just crazy how many people seem to hate on Killers. This is like the third time in a row. It'd at least be interesting to see a negative review for like, Powerslave or something.

Although I'd never score anything Maiden did in the 80s below an 80, if I were to pick an album that would be worthy of a negative review, it would be Piece Of Mind. Not so much because of any flaws in the performance of any of the musicians involved (Nicko McBrain transitioned into the band about as perfectly as any drummer could have done, and everyone else was on point), but more so because the songwriting was inconsistent (particularly the stuff after Still Life) and the production took a nosedive after the crisp and majestic one that Number Of The Beast received (still can't believe that album was released in 1982).

This is some new edgelord trend with younger reviewers and it's extremely stupid. If I wasn't a power metal junkie who is hopelessly in love with what Maiden did on Somewhere In Time, I'd argue that Killers was the best album they ever recorded.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm 

Quote:
Sorry for the double post, but there's a question that has bugged me for a long time.

Which of these sentences sounds better to you, from a grammatical point of view?
1. The band know exactly what they are doing.
2. The band knows exactly what it is doing.

Both options are fine. It doesn't have anything to do with the number of people involved. The first option is considered British English. The band / group / team are considered a collection of individuals putting their efforts together. The second is considered American English. The band / group / team is considered a unity that works together towards a common goal. In Canada, you will often see the first option in official documents for historical reasons. The second option is however used much more practically since American English has a more significant influence on Canadian culture than British English in the present. A good English teacher should present the basic differences between British and American English to his students. The best way to handle this is to choose one option and stick with it throughout a review. It would be confusing to write ''The band know what they are doing'' in the introduction and to conclude ''The band knows what it is doing''.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:24 pm 

Well put, k! I always prefer the 2nd variant, but either way, I wouldn't unduly ruffle my feathers - or, for that matter, pluck 'em out of my hide - over such an ambiguous grammatical conceit...

OK, now that does it! I had DB's Hellfriends leisurely stewing on the backburner...but thanks to Marco's sweet little homily, I've slotted it for my 333rd review...(get it? half the # of the Beast. Har, har!).

I think my next one though, that should obvious to sweetleaf95, I believe, as it involves the theme jingle to Three's Company (on not just one, but a pair of tracks, mind!)...can hardly wait!

Look! I'm actually using that "Edit" option (no more doubling down like a yegg).
Just read Liquid B's Crystal Viper review and memorably dug the following lines in particular:

"While the guitar riffs are generally simple yet beastly [great choice of word!], Golum does some clever maneuvers on his drumkit, filling out the sound by varying up the snare-strikes without sacrificing the propulsive tempo."

&

"If the latter's song title causes a bit of a twitchy cringe, believe me the promise of bare-chested yet sentimental yearning is fully realized. Not my thing, but I'm thinking it makes for heartfelt background music to go along with the removal of loincloths and brass bras after a long day of unsheathing the steel."

Nice! You should really check out their full-length debut, Curse of the Crystal Viper, as well as the next two, Metal Nation and Legends...witch reminds me, I need to b(l)ack_track (*) to them asap! ...

Although I only heard a few songs from the bromidically titled Queen..., wasn't too enthralled...but like I said, you should totally dig the above...

One last thing, Marco's review of Covenant Guilt's Diamond Cut Diamond (now there's an idiosyncratic title if there ever was one) was chill as well...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:36 am 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Although I'd never score anything Maiden did in the 80s below an 80, if I were to pick an album that would be worthy of a negative review, it would be Piece Of Mind. Not so much because of any flaws in the performance of any of the musicians involved (Nicko McBrain transitioned into the band about as perfectly as any drummer could have done, and everyone else was on point), but more so because the songwriting was inconsistent (particularly the stuff after Still Life) and the production took a nosedive after the crisp and majestic one that Number Of The Beast received (still can't believe that album was released in 1982).

This is some new edgelord trend with younger reviewers and it's extremely stupid. If I wasn't a power metal junkie who is hopelessly in love with what Maiden did on Somewhere In Time, I'd argue that Killers was the best album they ever recorded.

The first six or seven tracks on Piece of Mind are so good that it's one of my favorites, though these days SIT and Seventh Son have become my picks and even Number of the Beast has really grown on me since the old days.

I'm not even sure it's just edgelord stuff so much as reviewers not understanding context or history.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:36 am 

Piece of Mind is my personal favorite. There isn't a moment on that one that I don't like.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:34 am 

CHAIRTHROWER wrote:
Nice! You should really check out their full-length debut, Curse of the Crystal Viper, as well as the next two, Metal Nation and Legends...witch reminds me, I need to b(l)ack_track (*) to them asap! ...

Thanks again...and I'll be checking out those early albums! My rating might be a bit high in retrospect (QotW had a few duds mixed in with the good stuff), but maybe it's because last year I was listening to a lot of recent symphonic stuff in which the singer seemed plucked out of the dance floor or the opera house. Also, the guitar soloing on a lot of those albums were either pedestrian or non-existent, so hearing killer solos and a woman who likes to rock out automatically earned bonus points.

And Killers fucking rules, WTF is going on lately? Where is this lack of innovation? Shit, how many metal albums had a song like "Prodigal Son" in it for starters? A swingin' proggy thing. And how many unabashed metal bands back then emphasized higher range bass runs on such a consistent basis? Plus there's the incorporation of some punk and hard rock influences, an abundance of tempo shifts in many of the songs, a particularly busy instrumental riff-wise and so-on. There was nothing "meat and potatoes" about Killers back in 1981.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:11 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
The first six or seven tracks on Piece of Mind are so good that it's one of my favorites, though these days SIT and Seventh Son have become my picks and even Number of the Beast has really grown on me since the old days.

I'm not even sure it's just edgelord stuff so much as reviewers not understanding context or history.

Everything from "Where Eagles Dare" up until "Sill Life" is amazingly written and performed (though I'm not crazy about the guitar tone compared to Number Of The Beast), it's the 3 songs that follow that I'm not big on (I scored the album in the low 80s, everything else from the 1980s I'm pretty sure I scored above a 90). "Quest For Fire" and "Sun And Steel" are 2 of the most forgettable songs Maiden ever wrote (save for some of the meandering stuff on Virtual XI) and "To Tame A Land" is probably the most non-distinct epic track Maiden has done (although I think Steve Harris called it his crowning achievement as a songwriter a while back).

I could maybe give one reviewer pulling something like this a pass based on ignorance, but 3 in a row in fairly short succession seems more like trendy nonsense.

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Piece of Mind is my personal favorite. There isn't a moment on that one that I don't like.

Can't really agree with you on this one, if the first 6 songs were the whole album, it would be a lot better.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:37 pm 

No matter what, though, make sure your shit-kickers are well-laced whence kicking the bucket...(as in, "Meurs Embottine(e), merde!")...

EzraBlumenfeld
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:57 pm 

Last week, I listened to every Maiden album all the way through. I personally prefer 3. Somewhere in Time 2. Powerslave, and 1. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

BEGRAVEMENT - 'Horrific Illusions Beckon' out now!

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:43 pm 

hells_unicorn wrote:
Can't really agree with you on this one, if the first 6 songs were the whole album, it would be a lot better.

You don't like Sun And Steel?

Also props to Chair for now creating a 100% streak for Flight ;)

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
hells_unicorn wrote:

You don't like Sun And Steel?

Not particularly, it's the least weak of the last three songs, but it's basically a repetitive and less memorable version of The Trooper. I will occasionally skip past Quest For Fire and listen to it here and there, but when I compare it with the entirety of both "Number Of The Beast" and "Powerslave", it's just not distinctive to me. Mind you, I'm not saying these songs are terrible (something I will say about songs on "Virtual XI" like Don't Look To The Eyes Of A Stranger or Como Estais Amigos), they just don't stand out when considering the rest of Maiden's 80s output.
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:12 pm 

Fair. I love every song, but I can see why others may not.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:22 pm 

I'm still convinced that everybody in Maiden but Harris thought Quest for Fire was a joke.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:02 pm 

Hehe, hopefully my latest and oh-so-egregiously enthused write for Flight keeps any potential reverse-hype b(l)ackslashers at bay, amarite?
Not to toot my own horn - TOOOOOTTT! - but man, never have I written something so smoothly, in no time at all; it's as if the Flight review wrote itself, and within half-an-hour no less (at 6am this morn, I'd gone to bed early, like the middle-age fart I'm on the verge of turning into) with barely any editing required...Actually, as it was primarily written for Grande-Rock, I elected to not only ascribe it an oh-so-meritorious 100% (my 3rd - and likely, final, 2018 release to glean so) but a bona fide, ultra rare 10 stars over there as well (normally a 9 or very rare 9.5 is the order, so the webman T. might shit a brick whence he spots 'er! Ah, very, very good tymes indeed! (Oh, sweetleaf, you get full credit for the whole Satan simili/major scale prevalence shtick, by the way).

I almost want to tackle some D-Bitch right away, but we'll see...no use getting hasty here, eh? Then again...

As an aside, Sun & Steel rocks! Apparently, the lads played it live, in concert, only once, in Japan, if I'm not erroneous (none too choppy there!)...although you never know, I'd read that a decade ago, they may have very well jammed it out since. The wheel-rolling, triplet based main guitar riff(s) is one for the ages.

- (Any idea of bands who duly cover it, perchance?).

Lastly too, Liquid B, start with Crystal Viper's Curse of the Crystal Viper (the debut) -- it's quite singular, as in unique among-st their very "mercurial disco". (not a hipster nightclub, mind).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:41 pm 

Don't become new Akerthorpes, guys. 100% are not candies!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:02 pm 

meshigene wrote:
I love Gas' review of Nocturnal Lust's "Ghosting". It's a little gimmicky all right, but the gimmick caught me off guard at first, actually succeeds in making a point and is simply used remarkably well, together with the explanation. Not to mention Gas' taste is usually extremely similar to my own so there's that.

I'm frankly quite puzzled that anyone read that considering how unknown they seem to be. I was just too hooked by the genre description to pass it up. Nocturnal Lust do have some good material (their earlier releases are a bit truer to the "ambient" side of things) but it's a bizarre intention to make an album in the way they did.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:32 am 

I've only seen Maiden one time....on the Killers tour so I can not agree with Doomknocker's opinion. It was the summer after my sophomore year in high school and that album and show helped create the metal head I am today. Not sure why I never got around to seeing Maiden with Bruce...guess it just wasn't in the cards.

As for Maiden's best? Somewhere in Time followed by Piece of Mind.

Like your reviews?

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:42 am 

Metantoine wrote:

I'm failing to understand the reference.

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:38 am 

SweetLeaf95 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I'm failing to understand the reference.

He's referring to a reviewer on this site that goes by that moniker, not the musician.

https://www.metal-archives.com/users/Akerthorpe
Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:14 am 

Oh wow, I see. Well hey, I certainly don't give out THAT many 100%s. Haha

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:14 pm 

If the hat fits, man...

I mean, Flight are good but two 100% right at the release date seems super hyperbolic to me. It's hardly the best thing since sliced bread!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:40 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
It's hardly the best thing since sliced bread!

:lol:

May be a bit of an overstatement, haha. I reviewed it like a month before release on IMV and loved it so much after a few listens that I gave it an A+. Figured that was close enough to 100% by Archives standards.

CHAIRTHROWER

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:55 pm 

Bah! It's a magnificently crafted concept album up there with Pink Floyd's Time and Led Zep's Houses of the Unholy (give me a head start before y'all start pummeling me!).

It really is a tremendous step-up from the wacky debut, though, and any fan of harmony/melody (or Three's Company) owes it themself to check it out promptly.

(wry, shit-disturbing emoj here please!)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 364, 365, 366, 367, 368, 369, 370 ... 520  Next