Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:16 pm 

Y'all're crazy, DD is completely correct here. I have nostalgia for the first Blade because I watched it all the time as a kid, but I haven't watched it in well over 15 years now because I don't want to face the probable reality that it might actually suck. The second one though? I was twelve years old when it came out on video and even at that age I thought it was awful. Everything about it is stupid, and Whistler somehow still being alive confused me to no end. I'll pretty much echo every single thing DD said about it, it's total fucking garbage.

And somehow the third one is even worse.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:35 pm 

Underworld 3: The First Crusades was dope af though, you guys gotta gimme that!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm 

Blade 2 is fun precisely because it's such a huge piece of shit. I don't know why this is confusing to some people.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:38 pm 

Which one has the scene where they (badly) CGI'd Wesley Snipes opening his eyes rather than just filming him actually opening his eyes?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:36 am 

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was great. Best Coen Bros. movie in years now. I enjoyed the colorful variety of stories on display and the articulate, powerful filmmaking that brought them to us. In particular "The Gal Who Got Rattled" is a tremendous story, a real epic with great characters and emotion. The final story was a bit gimmicky but was saved by some great, fun dialogue. These were just great tales and it seemed they came from a real love for American Western filmmaking. A lot of passion on display.

Then I watched von Trier's The House That Jack Built in a packed theater last night. People always love a good car wreck. Always attracted to the most macabre shit even though we pretend not to be.

It was, uh, something, to say the least. Dunno if I can call it good but I wasn't bored with it. A lot of it was almost gleeful trolling and obnoxious edge-lord stuff, but something in the directing and the sense of humor made it compelling enough to keep watching.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am 

Empyreal wrote:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs was great. Best Coen Bros. movie in years now. I enjoyed the colorful variety of stories on display and the articulate, powerful filmmaking that brought them to us. In particular "The Gal Who Got Rattled" is a tremendous story, a real epic with great characters and emotion. The final story was a bit gimmicky but was saved by some great, fun dialogue. These were just great tales and it seemed they came from a real love for American Western filmmaking. A lot of passion on display.

Then I watched von Trier's The House That Jack Built in a packed theater last night. People always love a good car wreck. Always attracted to the most macabre shit even though we pretend not to be.

It was, uh, something, to say the least. Dunno if I can call it good but I wasn't bored with it. A lot of it was almost gleeful trolling and obnoxious edge-lord stuff, but something in the directing and the sense of humor made it compelling enough to keep watching.

Whoa! I completely forgot about The House that Jack Built. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I couldn't help but question those people at Sundance or whatever festival it was that everyone got up and walked out.

I've watched the first four vignettes of Buster Scruggs and I really love it. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the gold digger short, but I haven't seen your favorite yet.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:00 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Y'all're crazy, DD is completely correct here. I have nostalgia for the first Blade because I watched it all the time as a kid, but I haven't watched it in well over 15 years now because I don't want to face the probable reality that it might actually suck. The second one though? I was twelve years old when it came out on video and even at that age I thought it was awful. Everything about it is stupid, and Whistler somehow still being alive confused me to no end. I'll pretty much echo every single thing DD said about it, it's total fucking garbage.

And somehow the third one is even worse.

I was 21 when Blade 2 came out and I loved that movie. The CG obviously is dated, but I don't understand the hate for it at all.

I also had no idea people hated Benicio Del Toro. I guess everyone can't love everything.

I do agree with Darkening Day about the final act of the first Blade movie falling apart. Did anyone watch the deleted scene where they actually made this horrible, CG "Blood God" thing? Thank God someone had the sense to not put that abomination in the movie.

Completely agreed on the 3rd Blade movie being unwatchable. Ryan Reynolds and Jessica Biel were fucking TERRIBLE. Looking back, I had no idea David S. Goyer directed it.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Whoa! I completely forgot about The House that Jack Built. I'm glad to hear you liked it. I couldn't help but question those people at Sundance or whatever festival it was that everyone got up and walked out.

I've watched the first four vignettes of Buster Scruggs and I really love it. If I had to pick a favorite it would be the gold digger short, but I haven't seen your favorite yet.

Definitely finish Buster Scruggs, yeah. The one I mentioned is the centerpiece of it all.

I dunno if I'd say I liked House That Jack Built. I was curious what made all those people walk out and I can see why I guess.

Spoiler: show
His shock-value Nazi/Hitler references are pretty awful and the monologuing is a bunch of stuff intended to make you mad. Plus, ya know, the gore, etc.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 am 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
I also had no idea people hated Benicio Del Toro. I guess everyone can't love everything.

For the record, I like BDT plenty. If anything that just makes it more shocking that Blade 2 was so bad.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:48 am 

I love Benicio Del Toro too.

Just not Guillermo.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am 

One fail led to two fails.

I like both BDT and GDT so I'm basically a hippie who likes everything.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:02 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I love Benicio Del Toro too.

Just not Guillermo.

Hahah Dammit.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:54 pm 

Incident in a Ghostland - Not a conventional home invasion movie, although that's basically what the villains do to the main characters (two sisters and their mother). This tried to be more psychological in dealing with the effects a traumatic event can still have years later. Very creepy and disturbing at parts. 6.5 / 10

I'm sort of interested in seeing the writer / director's earlier movie Martyrs now. But not its apparently bad 2015 remake.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Blade 2 is fun precisely because it's such a huge piece of shit. I don't know why this is confusing to some people.

I love huge pieces of shit. This wasn't fun, it was just shit.

Gonna watch Blade 3 now, maybe my sub-subterranean expectations will let me to enjoy it more than everyone here. Definitely consider Goyer to be almost as terrible as Guillermo though.

EDIT: what is this i dont even

EDIT EDIT: okay, yeah, Blade Trinity was a trainwreck. The scene where Green Lantern and Seventh Heaven girl bust Blade out of a holding facility is the worst big-budget action scene I've seen in years. The whole film felt cobbled together from a whole slew of ideas, none of them even remotely good. Oh yeah, and how'd the CGI of this $65 million 2004 movie manage to look even worse than the last two? Fucking CGI blood and even a laser Bat'leth aren't saved from the CGI treatment, lol. How did Goyer and co. manage to fuck this up so much?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:48 am 

The ego of Wesley Snipes (allegedly, he never read the script and was impossible to work with) and, you guessed it, STUDIO INTERDERENCE. Fox wanted a soft-boot for the Nightstalkers and had Goyer focus on Reynolds/Biel more than the titular character.

That Reynolds went from that and Green Lantern to being King Nerdage with Deadpool is a virtual miracle.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:05 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
I love huge pieces of shit. This wasn't fun, it was just shit.

So... you loved it then?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:43 pm 

A new theater just opened where I live and they were showing movies for free a couple of days ago. Having nothing better to do, I went and saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I had no expectations for it; Jurassic World did nothing for me. I ended up having a good time with it, though. There were a lot of scenes that were straight from the original JP, but also things that reminded me of The Shining, surprisingly. It was mindless but entertaining fun, and since it was free and the pizza they served was great, I'm glad I went.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:19 pm 

I think it's pretty well known that Jurassic World was made from rejected and unused plot ideas from the never made Jurassic Park IV, plus some shoehorned callbacks to the original. So it wouldn't surprise me if Fallen Kingdom was similarly a hash of script rejects and callbacks loosely assembled into a plot. The ultimate irony is that these movies are being made in the same way that the dinosaurs supposedly were - some original DNA, plus some junk from frogs and cuttlefish and whatever they thought they needed to make an almost 30 year old idea work.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:57 pm 

I will forever maintain that the original concept for the 4th film---pirate raptors taking boats off the island and invading the mainland D-Day: Jurassic Invasion style, with guns---was a more interesting and entertaining idea than what they actually settled on with the two Jurassic World movies. Granted, I haven't actually seen them, but "we'll train raptors to hunt Al-Qaeda and cover it up by building a dinosaur park with the same mistakes as the old one, plus an invisible dinosaur with zero entertainment value, on an active volcano" is like a SyFy Original but bad and serious instead of goofy thus fun.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:55 am 

There is sooooooo much potential for Jurassic World. The new dinosaurs are great and Chris Pratt is no slouch as an actor, but it's just executed really poorly. Fallen Kingdom is better than the first Jurassic World (which was absolutely awful), but I just feel like there are so many better avenues they can explore with it. I have no problem with the acting or the CGI used in either one of the films - just the story need a real kick in the butt.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:49 am 

They should have made Jurassic Park IV based off of the fan theory that the dinosaurs were never real in the first place. The were genetically engineered creatures made to resemble the popular conception of what dinosaurs looked like - based on 30 and 40 year old picture books. The reason that Hammond brought in scientists to evaluate the park was to see if experts could be fooled. Then they would know that the public would be fooled too.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:49 am 

acid_bukkake wrote:
The ego of Wesley Snipes (allegedly, he never read the script and was impossible to work with) and, you guessed it, STUDIO INTERDERENCE. Fox wanted a soft-boot for the Nightstalkers and had Goyer focus on Reynolds/Biel more than the titular character.

That can explain the terrible script and Snipes's non-existent acting, but the action scenes were almost Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever quality. I don't know how but they were even worse than Blade 2. Poor Stephen Norrington must've had a stroke when he saw this, I've seen high school short films with better staging and editing.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:42 pm 

I watched Overlord this weekend at the local discount theater ($3 - hard to beat that!). I really enjoyed it; it was a lot of fun. For that type of flick, I thought the plot and pacing were quite good, though as with many horror flicks, it sorta fell apart towards the end. Had it gone a less formulaic/derivative route with the end*, it could've been much better IMO. Nonetheless I thought it was a fun movie and certainly worth the $3!

Spoiler: show
i.e. the inevitable showdown between the main nazi guy and the American, the little boy wandering into the middle of a gunfight and needing saving, etc.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:25 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
acid_bukkake wrote:

That can explain the terrible script and Snipes's non-existent acting, but the action scenes were almost Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever quality. I don't know how but they were even worse than Blade 2. Poor Stephen Norrington must've had a stroke when he saw this, I've seen high school short films with better staging and editing.

Well it's not even Snipes in most of the movie, he apparently stayed in his trailer smoking weed almost the whole time. They had to shoot the majority of the movie with his stunt double. It's possible the weird shooting was necessary to hide the ol' switcheroo. I love Blade 2, but even I won't defend Blade 3. It's not corny fun, it's not good-bad, it's just really really poorly made. On that level you could probably write a pretty big film studies paper on all the things it does wrong.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:54 pm 

I saw Dallas Buyers Club for the first time over the weekend and I was floored. I've only ever heard positive reviews about the movie BUT, I feel like no one ever went out of their way to DESCRIBE the movie. I assumed it was a tearjerker/heartbreaker where you watch Mcoughaneheyehey slowly die of AIDS. Not so! You actually get to watch him be a complete fucking bad ass and fight tooth and nail against EVERYONE and EVERYTHING in his way.

Awesome movie.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:30 pm 

I found all 6 Sharknado movies last weekend for $30, which was impossible for me to turn down, so I'll be revisiting them over the next couple weeks. I'm fucking stoked.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:52 am 

Rewatched Sorry to Bother You with my partner earlier and I have to say it's still the best movie I saw in 2018. Earth-shatteringly great stuff that feels like it was tailor-made for me.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

WilliG
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 am 

The life aquatic 6/10
Hmm, not quite sure what we actually watched here. It was ahhh, different :p Kind of watchable though and Bill Murray is always good.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:51 am 

Over the weekend, I finally showed my son a true Christmas classic. He has now seen Die Hard. Next week, maybe Die Hard II.

kellyon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 am 

Nightcrawler (2014)

Designed for uncomfortable viewing but you can see it being very true. A film from the outset that you know its going to build throughout, worth a watch.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:42 pm 

Dirty Work (1995)
Man, comedies just don't tend to age very well, do they? Rape jokes, gay jokes, misogyny, awful plotting...but damn is Norm MacDonald a funny bastard when he's doing his typical anti-hunger routine. 6/10

Friend Request (2016)
What a fucking mess. Between an alright cast (lead Alycia Debnam-Carey busts her ass) and a few moments of genuinely great horror filmmaking, we get a third-rate Ring clone that uses "clever" editing more befit a teen comedy. There are a few great moments, namely a beautiful shot on the lead's face as she is cascaded in darkness with a streetlight above her, but it's a by-the-numbers slice of generic mainstream horror. 5/10

As Above, So Below (2014)
After a few entries in this thread offering positive words, I decided to hunker down and take a peek. I'm also claustrophobic, so there were a few very unnerving scenes for me, including one where I had to physically leave the room and gather my bearings (the bone tunnel). Otherwise, we have another example of half-decent found footage that would've been better served as a straightforward film. Using the Paris catacombs has proven disappointing each time I've seen it done, a total shame given the nature and history of the tunnels, and the latter stretches where the crew go deeper into hell seem far too rushed after experiencing so much Fulci in my lifetime, let alone works like The Void or Baskin. Character arcs exist but are rushed. If the current trend for major action films involve more set pieces and rushed plot than character, then that goes double here. 5/10

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:57 pm 

A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
The acting is good in a horror film for once (Look out for a pre fame Johnny Depp) and the director his direction is overall pretty good and there are 3 genuinely startling moments (The fourth was spoiled by the trailer).

The script is pretty lame and the dialogue is very boring. The dream sequences soon become repetitive and the film doesn't go as far as it could have done. It feels like it doesn't meet it's full potential. It's very irritating and totally ridiculous as the way the protagonist defeats Krueger is pretty lame. As usual, the killer inexplicably reappears and sets up a sequel. The main problem with ANOES is that it's not scary. It has some tense moments but it's not interested in tension or creepiness. What it is interested in is loads of fake blood, undeniably impressive special effects and nightmares. At times it feels like some laughably awful Halloween joke shop advert for fake blood and Halloween masks. It's not scary for the most part; it's just showing off how good its gore effects are and this is very off putting. Also, this is nasty, preposterous slasher fare with no real purpose. Cowering in the shadow of Halloween, Psycho, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream and even Child's Play, this is definitely not one of the horror genre's finer offerings.

4/10

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:18 am 

Watch out everybody, we've got a hot take.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:03 am 

I thought so too at first, but then I remembered I've said similar things about the original Halloween. And even though ANOES was the series that got me into horror as a kid and I didn't see Texas Chainsaw Massacre until later, I now agree TCM is better.

Scream, though? That's my pick for the "popular" Wes Craven movie (as opposed to junk like Shocker or My Soul to Take) that hasn't aged well. Self-awareness doesn't seem as clever as it used to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:13 am 

No way Child's Play is better than ANOES. That was one of the first horror films I saw but it's not like some paragon of the genre or anything.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:09 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
I thought so too at first, but then I remembered I've said similar things about the original Halloween.

It's ok, we all say wrong things at some point.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:55 am 

As someone whose taste in horror films leans massively towards the 80s and/or slashers, I can't say I'm that big on the Nightmare on Elm Street series. I appreciate the ones Wes Craven did (especially New Nightmare) for being pretty unique but as far as big 3-4 slasher franchises go it's easily my least favorite. And that's not even taking into account the non-Craven entries which would be laughable if they weren't so fucking boring and dumb and not good.

And honestly, I think Scream has aged fine. I put it off forever because I'd assumed it would be as bad as the dogshit it inspired but it's really a very good film and the meta stuff is handled rather well imo. The second one is p cool too.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:57 am 

One of the best slashers for me that I watch like 2 or 3 times a year is still the original 1974 Black Christmas. Those fucking phone calls and shots of the guy in the attic making the most absolutely insane sounds is incredible and still has yet to be surpassed in terms of crazy, demented killer characters acting crazy and demented.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:10 pm 

Honestly, Black Christmas doesn't even feel like a slasher movie. Obviously the plot is 100% a slasher movie plot, but the way it affects me is completely different from basically every slasher movie I've ever seen. It's actually scary.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:11 pm 

Old dude then went on to make A Christmas Story. He's got a really weird relationship with Christmas.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723 ... 818  Next