Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 am 

Inspired by the 'favourite Slayer song' thread, what are some of the best songs that bands never play or haven't played live for ages? This also applies to great albums in general that bands seem to forget they have. A few of mine to get started.

Morbid Angel:
Blessed Are The Sick (album) - In the past 20 years I think I've only seem them play Fall From Grace and Day of Suffering live. One of the most revered death metal albums of all time, every song a classic to me, yet they have played virtually all the songs from Altars and Covenant.

Slayer:
Kill Again - A thrash classic and one of my favourite Slayer songs. Don't think they have played this since the Hell Waits tour, such a shame.

Read Between the Lies - Love the groove on this one, perfect for playing live. Great riffs all round.

213, Serenity In Murder, Mind Control - My 3 favourite songs from DI, never seen them play em live.

Iron Maiden:
Still Life - They played it on that tour but left it out of the Maiden England tour a few years back. Don't know why, one of my faves.

Somewhere In Time (album) - Only ever play Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait. One of their most popular albums but seem to skip it all the time. Title track, Sea of Madness and Deja-Vu stellar works in my opinion.

Infinite Dreams - Another track they didn't play on the histories tour.

Only the Good Die Young - One of my all time favourite album closers, would be such a powerful song live.

Marduk:
Nightwing (album) - One of the greatest black metal albums but they only ever play Of Hell's Fire and Slay the Nazarene. Title track, Kaziklu Bey (The Lord Impaler) and Deme Quaden Thyrane are three of my favourite songs from the band.

Cannibal Corpse:
The Bleeding (album) - Apart from the first three tracks it is completely ignored despite being one of their most popular albums. Would love to hear Pulverized!

Vile (album) - Fuck, how many awesome riffs and songs on this album, and not just Devoured By Vermin. Perverse Suffering and Absolute Hatred are total gems.

Mass Suicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 am 

I think Sodom have forgotten about what they played on Obsessed by Cruelty, and the original guitarist is dead, so...

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 am 

If I'm on the fence about seeing a band, especially one I know has questionable setlist choices, I'll look their recent setlists up on setlist.fm as a tiebreaker, which is where I've gotten the setlist info on bands I haven't seen.

Testament: I haven't seen them live and would not be particularly excited to catch them in the near future based on the setlists that get posted on setlist.fm. First of all, they tend to play a lot of stuff from the first two albums, which I really do not care for aside from the jaw-dropping guitar solo on "Eerie Inhabitants." Low is easily their best album, but they don't play much off it. They usually seem to play "Dog Faced Gods," which is a really good song, but it's not really in the style of the rest of the stuff on that album. Otherwise, it looks like they pretty much ignore that album. Practice What You Preach is also one of their better albums (Perilous Nation is a super badass song), but they mostly just play the lame title track. There are other songs scattered throughout their discography that I really like, such as "John Doe" and the awesome "One Man's Fate," but those songs don't make it onto their live setlists. Overall, DNR and Dog Faced Gods are probably the best songs on their setlists. Oh, and The Ritual is their second-best album, but it's also the one they play from the least from aside from Demonic.

In Flames: I don't even need to say anything here.

Carcass: Unfortunately, how I would rank this band's discography from best to worst is probably the opposite of popular consensus, so their setlists are pretty bad imo. They play almost nothing from Reek of Putrefaction live, and their picks from Surgical Steel tend to not be good. Mount of Execution, the title track, and The Master Butcher's Apron would be really enjoyable live, but none of those songs were in their setlist when I had the opportunity to see them here. Basically, their setlist was almost totally worthless to me, but on their next tour they actually played a little bit from Reek and the two best songs on Surgical Steel...but that tour didn't come here :/. One of these days I'll see Mount of Execution live...

Cannibal Corpse: These guys do a good job of going through their entire discography, but my favorite songs from their albums and the ones they play live rarely line up. I could do without hearing Hammer Smashed Face or I Cum Blood ever again. Sentenced to Burn is fine, but Gallery of Suicide and Dismembered and Molested are definitely better songs. Necrosadistic Warning is a great song, while Make Them Suffer is a bit overrated. The title track of A Skeletal Domain would be cool to hear, but at least they play Kill or Become live (best song they've ever written and always a blast live).

Autopsy: Less of an extreme example than Testament, but they played a lot of stuff from Severed Survival when I saw them, which is one of their better albums, but definitely not on par with Tourniquets, Hacksaws, and Graves or especially Mental Funeral. They played one song from THG (one of the better ones though) and a few from Mental Funeral, as well as the one really good song and one or two more middling songs from their recent EP iirc. I had hoped for more Mental Funeral (which I though was widely considered their best album) and one or two more songs from THG since it was their most recent full-length.

Obituary: Apparently these guys are playing all of Cause of Death live soon. No thanks. When I saw them, they played Redneck Stomp, which is a good song, and Find the Arise and some stuff from the debut, which was great. Everything else I didn't really care for though. The perfect Obituary setlist for me would be a bunch of songs from the debut, Find the Arise, and some select songs from Frozen in Time and their self-titled. Possibly a couple songs from albums 3-5, but preferably not from any of their other albums.

ION: Seemed like they dedicated more of their setlist to playing stuff from the debut (which I haven't heard). Good show, but I would've preferred hearing more from their new album, especially the song "V," which ends with an absolutely top-tier riff sequence.

Cryptopsy: Overall great, but I would rather they swap out stuff from their debut in favor of more of the new songs.

Metallica: I wish they would sometimes play some of the less popular songs from The Black Album (especially "The Struggle Within") and more from Kill Em All.

Kataklysm: Man wouldn't it be awesome if, after Kataklysm's set, while the stage was dark and quiet, a familiar scraping electronic noise started playing, and finally Sylvain Houde came out leading the rest of the band yelling: "THE TIME... HAS COME..."

Inferi: Good stuff, but I would love to hear "Those Who From the Heavens Came" live.

Starkill: "Fires of Life" and "This is our Battle, This is our Day" are the only two songs from their disco that mean anything to me. Unfortunately, they mostly played the newer kinda pop-punk stuff with clean singing. :ugh:

Entombed and WITTR: These are two bands that have awesome setlists that I would never complain about, but it would be cool if they delved a little more into their admittedly a bit weaker but still very good albums they don't play from live. Really, Entombed is the only long running band out there where they could pick their setlist completely at random and it would 98% of the time still be great.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 am 

I dont think Iced Earth played anything off of Horror Show besides Dracula and Wolf like one time live. Which is a shame, I'd love to hear Dragons Child or Jekyll and Hyde live. I think they played Mystical End off of NOTS once live, with Gene Adams as well.

Kalmah never plays anything off of FTR. Besides Holy Symphony of War, and For the Revolution. Outremer and Dead Mans Shadow would be the perfect live songs.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:53 am 

Megadeth kicked out Family Tree, Ashes in Your Mouth and Angry Again from their setlist long time ag

Enslaved should recall how to play material from Blodhemn, Eld and Mardraum.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:21 pm 

In the last decade Behemoth have hardly touched Zos Kia Cultus live, which is easily their best album. Occasionally they’ll play “As Above, So Below,” but even then I think it’s been years since they’ve played that (not to mention that’s not even one of the better songs on that album). “Horns of Baphomet,” “Modern Iconoclasts,” “The Harlot of the Saints,” “Let There Be Might,” or “Here and Beyond” would all slaughter in a live setting.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:27 pm 

Horna deliberately eschew the entire Haudankylmyyden mailla album, citing a near-death experience by Shatraug and general negativity surrounding the album as reasons. This is not only weird because one would assume they'd actually benefit from such negativity (being a black metal band and all), but also sad because it is by far their best album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 pm 

I'd love to see Paradise Lost give some more love to Lost Paradise. They briefly brought back "Rotting Misery" during 2015 but quickly scrapped that...kind of a shame, I think songs like "Deadly Inner Sense" or "Breeding Fear" would go over really well against their newest material. At least they've started playing songs from Gothic regularly again, that counts for something.

I'd also like to see Tiamat give some love to The Astral Sleep, now that they're playing stuff from Clouds again. Though after viewing the live footage (and seeing the band in concert last year) I don't really think Johan is able to do death growls anymore - he just kind of "shouts" (if you can even call it that) nowadays in that older stuff, so maybe it's too much to expect him to really be able to pull off "Ancient Entity" or "A Winter Shadow" :wink:.

And finally, I've never seen Septic Flesh but it looks like they never touch anything from their original incarnation, barring the odd cut from Sumerian Daemons. What the fuck is up with that???

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm 

Every single band ever?
Seriously, no matter what, you are almost always going to be left with some of your favourite tracks being ignored when seeing one of your favourite bands. Especially bands that have more than 5 records. Add in that these bands rarely do their own (non co-) headlining tour, and have to put in "the hits". Also so many bands put a setlist in place for an entire tour and only rotate one or two slots. Sure, there are exceptions to that rule, but for the most part it's fairly standard.

But I agree, Slayer has basically been playing the same couple dozen songs for decades, with adding in a couple from whatever their latest record is.

And I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to hear Metallica break out some of those deep Load/Reload cuts they've never done live (Prince Charming, Fixxxer, Thorn Within) or the ones they have done very sparingly (Wasting My Hate, Outlaw Torn, Low Man's Lyric) rather than hearing them play Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters over and over. But I get why they do. I met Cliff burnstein (Metallica's manager) in an airport once in 2015 after seeing them play two shows in Quebec City. We had a lengthly discussion about setlists and rares and putting a show together. He said it's a fine line between pleasing everyone in the building, the people there to hear Enter Sandman and NEM, the people that are actual fans that want to hear Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, and the people that go to 15 shows a tour that want to hear all of Justice and the second half of Load.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:59 pm 

I think Tormentor never plays anything from Recipe Ferrum, even though it would be one of the most hilarious thing ever! I seriously think it is an amazing album.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:05 pm 

Sepultura forgot that Schizophrenia ever existed, non-popular songs from the first 3 albums are ignored in favor of non-popular songs from their groove metal era

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:26 pm 

I remember seeing iced earth on the horror show tour and they were opening for megadeth. During their set some guy behind me kept yelling for songs off burnt offerings in between song breaks. At one point he was creaming “I payed for you guys to play this shit!” I kept thinking they are not a jukebox shut the fuck up. Jon kept giving him dirty looks during their set and Matt said too towards at the end of their set “I wish there was some albums we never made.” And Jon gave matt a dirty look as well.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:33 pm 

jimbies wrote:

And I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to hear Metallica break out some of those deep Load/Reload cuts they've never done live (Prince Charming, Fixxxer, Thorn Within) or the ones they have done very sparingly (Wasting My Hate, Outlaw Torn, Low Man's Lyric) rather than hearing them play Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters over and over. But I get why they do. I met Cliff burnstein (Metallica's manager) in an airport once in 2015 after seeing them play two shows in Quebec City. We had a lengthly discussion about setlists and rares and putting a show together. He said it's a fine line between pleasing everyone in the building, the people there to hear Enter Sandman and NEM, the people that are actual fans that want to hear Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets, and the people that go to 15 shows a tour that want to hear all of Justice and the second half of Load.

I'd love to hear some of the stuff like Outlaw, or Bleeding Me live but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. They are pretty much a greatest hits + new record cuts band the last couple of tours.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:40 pm 

Blind Guardian - 'Damned for All Time'. It's the most vicious song they ever wrote, and they need to play it live, because it would slay. They also neglect the 'Somewhere Far Beyond' album too much for my liking; 'Ashes to Ashes' would rule live, and 'Somewhere Far Beyond' doesn't get enough love.

Katatonia - 'Strained' needs to be a live staple, and they hardly ever touch it. To be honest, they neglect everything before 'The Great Cold Distance' far too much. I'm not expecting them to break out 'Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhyl)' or anything, but their 1998 - 2003 period needs more love.

Iced Earth - The entire 'Burnt Offerings' album, except 'Dante's Inferno'. Seriously, I'd so love to hear 'Diary', 'Burning Oasis', and especially 'Creator Failure'. And yeah, I agree that 'Horror Show' needs more attention.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:45 pm 

Nightwish won't play Beauty of the Beast live. I really wish they'd use it as an alternate for Ghost Love Score every now and then.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 pm 

I always loved "Mind Matters" by Dark Tranquillity off Character, but I seem to be alone in that.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:35 pm 

Let's see (lengthy post incoming)...

Metallica
- Plus one for the Load stuff. "Bleeding Me" and "The Outlaw Torn" in regular rotation, with "Ain't My Bitch", "Hero of the Day", "Devil's Dance" and "Carpe Diem Baby" in also getting plenty of set time. Live debuts for "The House Jack Built", "Thorn Within", "Where the Wild Things Are" and "Prince Charming" would also be welcome.

Ozzy - would never expect this now with him 70 and on his final tour, but plenty of stuff missed or not played enough over the years
- "Steal Away (the Night)" - ace little rocker that never got enough airings.
- "Little Dolls" - awesome riff in this. Would've loved to have heard it live.
- anything other than the title track from Bark at the Moon. Could be wrong but I don't think anything else was played from this after the initial tour. There's loads of great songs not given a chance ("Waiting for Darkness", "Spiders", "You're No Different", "Centre of Eternity")
- anything other than "Shot in the Dark" from The Ultimate Sin. See above, although Gus G managed to get a few songs brought back during his stint on guitars.
- stuff from No Rest for the Wicked. "Devil's Daughter", "Breaking All the Rules", "Bloodbath in Paradise" and "Demon Alcohol" would be a treat.
- stuff from Ozzmosis. Think we only got the first two songs off this. They may have been taxing on the voice, but I'd have liked "My Jekyll Doesn't Hide", "Old LA Tonight" or "Tomorrow".
- stuff from Down to Earth. Not his most loved album, and ignored on subsequent tours, but I really like it. Would have liked to have heard "Facing Hell", "Can You Hear Them?", "No Easy Way Out" and "Running Out of Time"

Kreator - they seem to have "title track syndrome", where if they play one song from an album, it's probably the title track.
- stuff from Terrible Certainty. "Storming with Menace" is an absolute beast, and "One of Us" and "As the World Burns" would be ace too.
- stuff from Coma of Souls. Anything and everything from this. An absolute classic front to back.
- stuff from Renewal. Would like to see how the slower, moodier stuff like "Depression Unrest" or "Reflection" would sound nowadays.
- Cause for Conflict is my least favourite Kreator album, but I really like "Catholic Despot". I have heard Ventor doesn't like playing this stuff, as evidenced by the gimped drumming on "Lost" from Live Kreation.
- stuff from Outcast. Another I'm not a huge fan of, but "Phobia" is played at pretty much every show. "Forever" or "Alive Again" would be a welcome addition for me.
- stuff from Endorama. I've read the backing samples pose a problem for this album, but "Everlasting Flame", "Pandemonium" or "Shadowland" would please me.
- stuff from the latter halves of Violent Revolution and Enemy of God. It's like they forgot there was a B-side to these albums. The last five from Enemy of God are incredible, yet none have been played live.

Children of Bodom
- "Touch Like Angel of Death" - I was sure this would get aired on their recent old school tour, but sadly it wasn't to be.
- "Chokehold", "Triple Corpse Hammerblow", "You're Better Off Dead", "Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood" - never played or long forgotten from Hate Crew Deathroll. Immense songs that need to be played.
- "Knuckleduster" - I actually saw this the first time I saw Bodom, which I believe is only one of two times they've played it. With its inclusion on the forthcoming record, I have to wonder whether it might get played more regularly in the future.
- "Waste of Skin", "All Twisted", "One Bottle and a Knee Deep" - three of the best songs from Halo of Blood, but never played. Title track aside, the album seems to have been forgotten by the band as well.

Edguy - far too many to mention, so here's a select few...
- "Spooks in the Attic" - seems to be a 'special occasion' sort of song, but I imagine it'd be great fun live.
- "The Eternal Wayfarer" - one of Tobi's best compositions. Played once, didn't sound great, so perhaps it needs a bit of work. Or maybe it's just not built for the live setting.
- Different ballads. It's usually "Save Me" or "Land of the Miracle". I'd like "Scarlet Rose" or "Holy Water" to return or "Thorn Without a Rose" given a shot.
- The return of the likes of "Fairytale", "Rocket Ride", "Navigator", "The Unbeliever", "9-2-9" and "The Asylum" to regular rotation. Some of these have only been done a handful of times.

Iron Maiden
- "Rainmaker" and "The Longest Day" - two newer songs not played after the initial album tours. Perhaps they're taxing on the voice.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:03 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Autopsy: Less of an extreme example than Testament, but they played a lot of stuff from Severed Survival when I saw them, which is one of their better albums, but definitely not on par with Tourniquets, Hacksaws, and Graves or especially Mental Funeral. They played one song from THG (one of the better ones though) and a few from Mental Funeral, as well as the one really good song and one or two more middling songs from their recent EP iirc. I had hoped for more Mental Funeral (which I though was widely considered their best album) and one or two more songs from THG since it was their most recent full-length.

You might the only person in the world who prefers Tourniquets, Hacksaws and Graves over Severed Survival.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:43 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Blind Guardian - They also neglect the 'Somewhere Far Beyond' album too much for my liking; 'Ashes to Ashes' would rule live, and 'Somewhere Far Beyond' doesn't get enough love.

Stopped in here to mention this. It drives me crazy that this superb record is often represented by The Bard's Song - In the Forest and maybe, maybe one other track in their setlists. There's way too much good shit here to push it to the back in favor of including more songs from Tales and Imaginations. Even on their live albums they tend to cut SWB songs from the CD/DVD even if they play them - they played basically the entire album on the Tokyo Tales sets and there were a bunch of songs from the album they played at the Blind Guardian Festival that didn't make the cut for the DVD. Really hoping that next time they do a US tour they give it a little more love.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:03 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:
Sepultura forgot that Schizophrenia ever existed, non-popular songs from the first 3 albums are ignored in favor of non-popular songs from their groove metal era

Do they have any songs from their groove metal era that are NOT "non-popular?"

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 pm 

Refuse/Resist and Roots Bloody Roots, like them or hate them, are decidedly popular songs.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:22 pm 

Does anyone know if there is a metal band that has a setlist construction as wild as Springsteen, Dave Matthews, Phish, etc?

Those bands change their setlists every single night in all ways. Of the 25 times I've seen Springsteen, the only song you are guaranteed is "Born To Run", and he usually plays almost 30 songs a night with tons of rares/b-sides at random places.

I understand many metal songs has intricate song structures / parts, so it may be harder for a band to pull this off, but I'm fairly certain Dream Theater USED to switch the setlist every single night.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:26 pm 

Every Suffocation set I've looked up seems to be "Thrones of Blood", "Pierced From Within", "Catatonia", "Funeral Inception", "Liege of Inveracity", and "Infecting the Crypts" alongside a few sorta staples like "Effigy of the Forgotten", "Breeding the Spawn", and "Jesus Wept" and then like 1-3 songs from whatever their most recently released album was. I would love to see them bring out stuff like "Seeds of the Suffering" or "Reincremation" more often and wish stuff like "Abomination Reborn" or "Bind Torture Kill" stuck more despite the inevitability of the karate kids coming out en masse during the slam section of "Bind Torture Kill".

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:57 pm 

The Faceless have never played Leica since their inception which is a shame because it's a great song from their first album. I doubt Keene remembers how to play the solo or it's too tough to play every night, who knows with them...

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:11 pm 

at the gaytes wrote:

Even Beneath the Remains-era and Arise-era songs are cut in half (or less than half) when they play them now, and it's been that way for about 20 years now.

They'll only really focus on Chaos A.D. and Roots from the Max-era.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. I guess I can understand not wanting to be seen as some kind of nostalgia act, but refusing to play songs from the classic era is part of the reason people stopped going to the shows.

Xenophon wrote:
Testament: I haven't seen them live and would not be particularly excited to catch them in the near future based on the setlists that get posted on setlist.fm. First of all, they tend to play a lot of stuff from the first two albums, which I really do not care for aside from the jaw-dropping guitar solo on "Eerie Inhabitants." Low is easily their best album, but they don't play much off it. They usually seem to play "Dog Faced Gods," which is a really good song, but it's not really in the style of the rest of the stuff on that album. Otherwise, it looks like they pretty much ignore that album. Practice What You Preach is also one of their better albums (Perilous Nation is a super badass song), but they mostly just play the lame title track. There are other songs scattered throughout their discography that I really like, such as "John Doe" and the awesome "One Man's Fate," but those songs don't make it onto their live setlists. Overall, DNR and Dog Faced Gods are probably the best songs on their setlists. Oh, and The Ritual is their second-best album, but it's also the one they play from the least from aside from Demonic.

I've seen them live twice, and you say they play a lot of stuff from the first two albums, but they didn't play any songs from The Legacy either time I saw them. They actually played "Electric Crown" off of The Ritual when I saw them live earlier this year. I'd say there are certain songs from Souls of Black that are awesome, but I've heard Testament themselves are not proud of that album.

Anyways, amongst examples not mentioned, I've heard that at Decapitated shows in the 2010s, the only song they still play from the Vitek-era of the band is "Spheres of Madness".

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:14 am 

Wilytank wrote:
Every Suffocation set I've looked up seems to be "Thrones of Blood", "Pierced From Within", "Catatonia", "Funeral Inception", "Liege of Inveracity", and "Infecting the Crypts" alongside a few sorta staples like "Effigy of the Forgotten", "Breeding the Spawn", and "Jesus Wept" and then like 1-3 songs from whatever their most recently released album was. I would love to see them bring out stuff like "Seeds of the Suffering" or "Reincremation" more often and wish stuff like "Abomination Reborn" or "Bind Torture Kill" stuck more despite the inevitability of the karate kids coming out en masse during the slam section of "Bind Torture Kill".

I saw them in 2008 before I was really into death metal and part of the reason I was converted at all was specifically because they played like half of Effigy, including Seeds of the Suffering and Reincrimation (I could be misremembering the latter but I distinctly remember having my little 17 year old mind blown when the breakdown in Seeds hit). Pretty sure they played Bind Torture Kill as well since the self titled was still the newest album. Unfortunately it looks like nobody added any sets from that tour on setlist.fm so I'm just working off a decade old memory at this point.

Either way, you're right. Suffocation is one of my favorite bands and easily the most entertaining live act in death metal but they have a very predictable set. It's gotten to the point where whenever they're nearing the end of their set and they say "This next song...", my friends and I will all shout in unison "IS THE FIRST SONG WE EVER WROTE" because we know damn well Catatonia is next. What I wouldn't give to hear Brood of Hatred or Animalistic Offerings instead of Thrones of Blood and Souls to Deny for the fortieth fucking time.

And re: Blind Guardian: when I saw them in 2010 they played a whopping three non-ballads from the pre-Imaginations era. In their defense, Hansi did mention that they're just older and it's harder to play those old songs nowadays before they played Banished from Sanctuary, and they did break out some older ones when I saw them five years later (we even got The Last Candle!) but it's still a bummer. They've also been kinda openly contemptuous towards Majesty. In the liner notes for the rerelease of Battalions of Fear, Marcus flat out says that the worst memory he has of the recording was writing Majesty because none of them like the song anymore but the fans absolutely never shut the hell up and always badger them to play it. They seem to play it about half the time nowadays and usually for big festivals like Wacken or something but they really clearly wish that song would just go away. Which is a shame because the fans love it for a reason, it's one of the best speed metal songs ever written!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:37 am 

Chthonic straight up ignores anything they did before 2009, which is sad because their best album was arguably Seediq Bale from 2005.

X Japan doesn't play anything from their debut album (except Kurenai, which was reworked for their sophomore album), though I'm not sure anyone really cares after all this time.

Arch Enemy doesn't play that much stuff from their first three albums. It makes sense: they were in a completely different style, with a male vocalist, using a different tuning. But since Burning Bridges is one of my favorite albums it's kind of sad. However, the positive side is that Michael Amott very much realizes the worth of these songs and is planning a second Japan tour with only their old work.
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 am 

Required Fields wrote:
Anyways, amongst examples not mentioned, I've heard that at Decapitated shows in the 2010s, the only song they still play from the Vitek-era of the band is "Spheres of Madness".

I played a show with them a few years back, indeed they only played "Spheres..." at the very end of the set and even then, it was only the first half, halfway through it changed into some weird Pantera-ish groove breakdown.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:30 am 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Slayer:
Kill Again - A thrash classic and one of my favourite Slayer songs. Don't think they have played this since the Hell Waits tour, such a shame.

Read Between the Lies - Love the groove on this one, perfect for playing live. Great riffs all round.

213, Serenity In Murder, Mind Control - My 3 favourite songs from DI, never seen them play em live.

Iron Maiden:
Still Life - They played it on that tour but left it out of the Maiden England tour a few years back. Don't know why, one of my faves.

Somewhere In Time (album) - Only ever play Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait. One of their most popular albums but seem to skip it all the time. Title track, Sea of Madness and Deja-Vu stellar works in my opinion.

Infinite Dreams - Another track they didn't play on the histories tour.

Only the Good Die Young - One of my all time favourite album closers, would be such a powerful song live.

Marduk:
Nightwing (album) - One of the greatest black metal albums but they only ever play Of Hell's Fire and Slay the Nazarene. Title track, Kaziklu Bey (The Lord Impaler) and Deme Quaden Thyrane are three of my favourite songs from the band.

Cannibal Corpse:
The Bleeding (album) - Apart from the first three tracks it is completely ignored despite being one of their most popular albums. Would love to hear Pulverized!

Vile (album) - Fuck, how many awesome riffs and songs on this album, and not just Devoured By Vermin. Perverse Suffering and Absolute Hatred are total gems.

Excellent post; Kill Again is a personal favorite I've been longing to hear live for a long, long time.
Didn't know Marduk neglected Nightwing so much these days, but they usually reshuffle their setlist quite often, so it might be a temporary situation.

Crescent_Moon wrote:
Enslaved should recall how to play material from Blodhemn, Eld and Mardraum.

Damn right. They brought back Eld and Mardraum (title tracks) when I saw them on the Isa tour, but that was nearly 15 years ago.

praey wrote:
In the last decade Behemoth have hardly touched Zos Kia Cultus live, which is easily their best album. Occasionally they’ll play “As Above, So Below,” but even then I think it’s been years since they’ve played that (not to mention that’s not even one of the better songs on that album). “Horns of Baphomet,” “Modern Iconoclasts,” “The Harlot of the Saints,” “Let There Be Might,” or “Here and Beyond” would all slaughter in a live setting.

I still think No Sympathy for Fools should be a no brainer for a live setting; if that's not a perfect moshpit song, I don't know what is.

jimbies wrote:
And I may be in the minority here, but I'd love to hear Metallica break out some of those deep Load/Reload cuts they've never done live (Prince Charming, Fixxxer, Thorn Within) or the ones they have done very sparingly (Wasting My Hate, Outlaw Torn, Low Man's Lyric) rather than hearing them play Sad But True and Nothing Else Matters over and over.

I'd be right there.

slavonic777 wrote:
I think Tormentor never plays anything from Recipe Ferrum, even though it would be one of the most hilarious thing ever! I seriously think it is an amazing album.

Paprika Jancsi never fails to have me laughing my ass off, but those riffs and solos don't fuck around one bit, and would work great in a live setting.

Thiestru wrote:
Blind Guardian - 'Damned for All Time'. It's the most vicious song they ever wrote, and they need to play it live, because it would slay. They also neglect the 'Somewhere Far Beyond' album too much for my liking; 'Ashes to Ashes' would rule live, and 'Somewhere Far Beyond' doesn't get enough love.

Katatonia - 'Strained' needs to be a live staple, and they hardly ever touch it. To be honest, they neglect everything before 'The Great Cold Distance' far too much. I'm not expecting them to break out 'Velvet Thorns (Of Drynwhyl)' or anything, but their 1998 - 2003 period needs more love.

Iced Earth - The entire 'Burnt Offerings' album, except 'Dante's Inferno'. Seriously, I'd so love to hear 'Diary', 'Burning Oasis', and especially 'Creator Failure'. And yeah, I agree that 'Horror Show' needs more attention.

Strongly agree, especially Ashes to Ashes which has been one of my favorite BG tunes since forever. Maybe they don't play it for personal reasons, though; IIRC I read somewhere it's a song about Hansi's father passing away, and Opeth skip'ped playing The Night and the Silent Water for many years for similar reasons (it's about Mikael's grandfather's dying).

lordcatfish wrote:
Ozzy - would never expect this now with him 70 and on his final tour, but plenty of stuff missed or not played enough over the years
- anything other than the title track from Bark at the Moon. Could be wrong but I don't think anything else was played from this after the initial tour. There's loads of great songs not given a chance ("Waiting for Darkness", "Spiders", "You're No Different", "Centre of Eternity")
- anything other than "Shot in the Dark" from The Ultimate Sin. See above, although Gus G managed to get a few songs brought back during his stint on guitars.
- stuff from No Rest for the Wicked. "Devil's Daughter", "Breaking All the Rules", "Bloodbath in Paradise" and "Demon Alcohol" would be a treat.

Yes, yes, and yes!

Peyp wrote:
Arch Enemy doesn't play that much stuff from their first three albums. It makes sense: they were in a completely different style, with a male vocalist, using a different tuning. But since Burning Bridges is one of my favorite albums it's kind of sad. However, the positive side is that Michael Amott very much realizes the worth of these songs and is planning a second Japan tour with only their old work.

Now if they could be courteous enough to do it out of Japan as well I'd be right in; hell, at least release the goddamn live cd for other continents as well.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 am 

Xenophon wrote:
Cannibal Corpse: These guys do a good job of going through their entire discography, but my favorite songs from their albums and the ones they play live rarely line up. I could do without hearing Hammer Smashed Face or I Cum Blood ever again. Sentenced to Burn is fine, but Gallery of Suicide and Dismembered and Molested are definitely better songs. Necrosadistic Warning is a great song, while Make Them Suffer is a bit overrated. The title track of A Skeletal Domain would be cool to hear, but at least they play Kill or Become live (best song they've ever written and always a blast live).

You can't expect a band like Cannibal Corpse not to play their fans' favorite tracks. Hammer Smashed Face, I Cum Blood and Make Them Suffer are among their most popular tracks. It's not so much that they are ignoring great songs as much as they have to pick from a vast discography, and they shouldn't/can't ignore iconic tracks like Hammer Smashed Face.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

Deicide refuses to play 5/8 of their best album. I think they never played Repent To Die live.

Loved to Deth, Looking Down the Cross, 502 and Mary Jane are some of my favorite Megadeth songs that seemed to disappear from their sets after the 90's

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:47 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

You can't expect a band like Cannibal Corpse not to play their fans' favorite tracks. Hammer Smashed Face, I Cum Blood and Make Them Suffer are among their most popular tracks. It's not so much that they are ignoring great songs as much as they have to pick from a vast discography, and they shouldn't/can't ignore iconic tracks like Hammer Smashed Face.

Perhaps I mistakenly replied to this thread too much as a "overrated/underrated" thread. Yeah, they will probably play those two TotM songs every time. I guess it's more I can't fathom why they seem so universally loved. Like that riff about a minute into Hammer Smashed Face just sounds so unthreatening and tired.

at the gaytes wrote:
Deicide refuses to play 5/8 of their best album. I think they never played Repent To Die live.

Loved to Deth, Looking Down the Cross, 502 and Mary Jane are some of my favorite Megadeth songs that seemed to disappear from their sets after the 90's

Mary Jane and Loved to Deth are awesome songs indeed. Maybe the band's two best outside Rust in Peace.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm 

I'm gonna throw another hat into the ring for Suffocation. I just saw them a few weeks ago and they played the same style setlist i've heard they've been playing for years. I had an absolute blast and to be honest wouldn't want them to cut out the songs they did play but its such a shame they don't play anything other than the title track of Breeding The Spawn. I'd love to hear them play Beginning of Sorrow, Marital Decimation, Prelude to Repulsion (maybe my favorite song ever), and Ornaments of Decrepancy.

On a smaller note I have no idea if this is a trend or just this tour but Krisiun did not play "Dawn of Flagellation" which I found to be downright criminal. I've always thought of Krisiun as a unique band mostly mediocre, repetitive and just not all that interest. Dawn of Flaggelation however is a crushing song.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:39 pm 

It would be awesome if Suffocation played more stuff from Pierced. Everything except the title track and Depths of Depravity is just marvelous (and those two songs are still really good). They didn't play Catatonia when I saw them, but that's another great one by them. Breeding the Spawn also has some cool stuff.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

pressingtoplead13 wrote:
On a smaller note I have no idea if this is a trend or just this tour but Krisiun did not play "Dawn of Flagellation" which I found to be downright criminal. I've always thought of Krisiun as a unique band mostly mediocre, repetitive and just not all that interest. Dawn of Flaggelation however is a crushing song.

Well, Krisiun is one of my favorite bands and I think the song they need to play is the title track off 'Conquerors of Armageddon'. To me, that is the ultimate Krisiun song, one of the most brutal and crushing death metal songs ever written...to the band's credit, they do play it live still (as recently as last year), but I've seen them four times and not seen it once. I did get to chant "KILL-KILL-KILL LORD JESUS CHRIST" at Alex though, and he turned around, flashed the horns and said "FUCK YEAH!" :lol:

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:35 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Blind Guardian - 'Damned for All Time'. It's the most vicious song they ever wrote, and they need to play it live, because it would slay.

That would be so awesome, but I think they would have sounded better with Hansis young pipes

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:17 am 

I've never seen Amon Amarth play Hermods Ride to Hel, Burning Creation, Across the Rainbow Bridge, or Embrace on the Endless Ocean. You'd think they would have at least played Hermods Ride to Hel when they were doing the Deceiver of the Gods tour.

Also I wish Enslaved would have played the Voices, Bounded by Allegiance, Havenless, or Ridicule Swarm. I respect them for doing some throwback sets in their recent tours (like one my friends went to that I had to miss. . .) but at least they've still played stuff from Frost and Below the Lights at the shows I've seen of them.

Black/Doom label and distro(all metal genres)
http://www.temptationsofresonance.com

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:44 am 

Speaking of Amon Amarth, why do they and their fans forget The Avenger exists? There are like forty live recordings of Death in Fire out there (I couldn't stand hearing it anymore for a while) but I had to wait for those double disc reissues of the first four albums to hear Legend of a Banished Man in concert just once. Same for their eponymous song from the debut, which I find quite surprising.

I also wish they'd dug out something from their amazing first ep from time to time, although I acknowledge that's stretching it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:05 pm 

Have Cannibal Corpse ever played "Cyanide Assassin" live? Probably my favourite song by them.

Also, perusing setlist.fm and Rotting Christ don't seem to ever play much from their 1997-2002 period, which I think is their best era. Always there's a chance there's missing / inaccurate setlists on there, granted. "A Dead Poem", "Fateless" and "Lex Talionis" are three songs in particular I'd love to see.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:13 am 

Sepultura do still play BTR/Arise songs in full from time to time, at least when I saw them a decade ago they did.

Maiden have a weird habit that if they don't play a song on the tour for the album it's from, it's never played at all subsequently. Several very good tracks have gone unheard because of this approach, from their 80s and 90s eras. I get the feeling that Dickinson also doesn't like Somewhere In Time very much (since he was recovering from the Powerslave tour and didn't contribute to the songwriting, and his ideas got rejected by Harris) and as a consequence he doesn't seem to want to play anything off that record live apart from Heaven Can Wait and Wasted Years. Harris also has implied that Caught Somewhere In Time never satisfied him in the live setting, although I think it sounds OK from the bootlegs I've heard of that era. It's a real shame as SiT is one of Maiden's strongest albums and so many great tracks remain unvisited by the band on recent tours. Particularly Stranger In A Strange Land, which was played briefly in 99 but got dropped for being too 'slow' apparently; personally I think it's just superb and would go over amazingly live! Also, Phantom Of The Opera should NEVER be dropped from the set; thankfully it's reappeared on the last few tours.

Likewise, Beyond The Realms Of Death got dropped from the JP live set for far too long (no performances post 1981 until the Ripper era I think, though I could be wrong). That is another undroppable song.... and also, why wasn't it put on Unleashed In The East!?!?!?!?

Cathedral never bothered playing a lot of the better tracks off Endtyme and VIIth Coming after the tours for those albums, and some were never played at all which would have worked fantastically live, such as Phoenix Rising.

One thing you can say about Metallica post Newsted is that they have shaken up their setlists a fair bit and put some deep cuts in on most tours. I would like to hear a lot more Load /Reload cuts though.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next