Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:57 am 

Thank you! I am also looking for black metal that has a bit of a buzzing guitar sound, not unlike the amazing Selvhat - Selvhat record. I'm looking for melody, lots of melody in the riffing but not in a kitch way. Whether the black metal is uptempo or not, I want emotion. Melancholy, drama, sadness or plain atmosphere. Bonus points is the overall theme focuses on desolation, solitude, isolation and hermeticism.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:15 pm 

So I've been digging Varathron's latest album a lot and I'm looking for something similar: epic, grandiose Greek BM with a rather clear and upfront production.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:56 am 

Can anyone name me a few pretty heavy Black metal bands from say New Zealand/Australia? Don't know many from that area and just curious to find a few super heavy bands from there. Or is this not those countries strong point? Don't include atmospheric, anything with many blastbeats and good riffs will do

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 pm 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone name me a few pretty heavy Black metal bands from say New Zealand/Australia? Don't know many from that area and just curious to find a few super heavy bands from there. Or is this not those countries strong point? Don't include atmospheric, anything with many blastbeats and good riffs will do

Barshasketh / Belliciste (same members) and Astriaal is all I got at the moment. I'm sure there's a few more.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:15 pm 

I'm having trouble remembering a ONE WOMAN black metal band. Any ideas?

It's not Anguished or Myrkur.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:38 am 

Is it Gedanken Toten Lebens?

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:29 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some lesser known/underground bm bands in the vein of old Gehenna with the unique keyboard sound that Sarcana had? Much appreciated!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 am 

mike_87 wrote:

The single most awesome Australian black metal: Abyssic Hate.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:36 am 

Hello, does anyone know of some bands that rely almost exclusively on tremolo picked chords? I really like that hazy driving-through-a-blizzard sound of just tremolo chords but not super excited by technicality or brutality. Primitive, raw non-technical stuff that still has a flare for melody or at least something harmonically engaging.

A good example of what I’m looking for is this song by Exul (Portugal): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BXShK0B1Q

Also the general sound of Forest (Russia), like that.

Thanks in advance :D

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:11 am 

Astrofaes, Bilskirnir, Branikald might be to your liking

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 pm 

PluviaSomniums, check out Vitsaus, Kadotus (first full-length album), and Phlegein.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:37 pm 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Hello, does anyone know of some bands that rely almost exclusively on tremolo picked chords? I really like that hazy driving-through-a-blizzard sound of just tremolo chords but not super excited by technicality or brutality. Primitive, raw non-technical stuff that still has a flare for melody or at least something harmonically engaging.

A good example of what I’m looking for is this song by Exul (Portugal): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BXShK0B1Q

Also the general sound of Forest (Russia), like that.

Thanks in advance :D

Never heard Exul, I agree with the other recs, I'm sure I can think of a lot more too, but try Moontower for starters

Edit: Oh I see Exul is the same guy from Inthyflesh, loved the last 18 song album he did! Also Akantha might be another one, sounds like Judas Iscariot.

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:58 pm 

Thank you all these have been great! Inthyflesh turned out to be more of exactly what I’m looking for from the same entity - great call Sick6Six. And yeah Judas Iscariot is exactly the kind of thing I’m talking! Will try to comment on the other recs later

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:56 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

Are you at all interested in bands that blend black metal with death or thrash? Because there’s a ton of that down there. Sadistik Exekution and Bestial Warlust are there for just crazed riffs and blastbeats. Impetuous Ritual, Temple Nightside, and Grave Upheaval provide creepy cavernous stuff. Hell, New Zealand does war metal cleaner and better than the Ross Bay Cult with Diocletian, Witchrist, and Heresiarch.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:52 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Is it Gedanken Toten Lebens?

Not this one, but a cool recommendation nonetheless.

Still looking for this mystery ONE WOMAN black metal band. :old:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Thank you! I am also looking for black metal that has a bit of a buzzing guitar sound, not unlike the amazing Selvhat - Selvhat record. I'm looking for melody, lots of melody in the riffing but not in a kitch way. Whether the black metal is uptempo or not, I want emotion. Melancholy, drama, sadness or plain atmosphere. Bonus points is the overall theme focuses on desolation, solitude, isolation and hermeticism.

No one?

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:47 am 

Maybe Belenos' demos (compiled on "L'ancien temps")?

Here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K8wnGFV3lo

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:37 pm 

How about the best, fastest and heaviest bands from Russia? Apparently they have a fairly good scene too?

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:12 am 

Can someone recommend me black metal with avant-garde stylings akin to late Peste Noire? Really loved what I heard on La Chaise-Dyable and was wondering for something similar.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:03 am 

mike_87 wrote:
How about the best, fastest and heaviest bands from Russia? Apparently they have a fairly good scene too?

I don't think Russia's scene is known for being particularly heavy in general, but Veter Daemonaz - "Triumph" has a pretty heavy sound.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:06 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Can someone recommend me black metal with avant-garde stylings akin to late Peste Noire? Really loved what I heard on La Chaise-Dyable and was wondering for something similar.

Are you familiar with Lugubrum's De Totem? It's different, but it carries the same "rural madman" vibes as a lot of PN's albums. Also it has no shortage of great riffs and experimental bits

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm 

The only Lugubrum I've listened so far is De Vette Cueken, which is a strange beast to say the least. The latest review on that described them as black metal Demilich. I'll give De Totem a shot though. I've heard nothing but good things about the band overall.

Thanks!

Heartstrings
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 am 

Looking for BM bands with a sound similar to Batushka. Don't necessarily need a gimmick, tho if it's something that fits well/adds to the vibe like Batushka's orthdox chanting, I'm down. Rotting Christ's Sanctus Diavolos scratched a similar itch, that's the best comparison I've got. One thing I'm kinda particular about is I like albums to sound clean/have pretty tight production (kinda hard with BM sometimes so it's not a dealbreaker or anything). Sorry for being a little vague-- thanks in advance for any help or recommendations

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:15 pm 

Lugubrum's best album imho is the more primitive stuff like Winterstones, up to De Totem

SatanicDeathLust666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:02 am 

mike_87 wrote:

Definitely check out Inferius Torment (IT) if you're looking for something that's blast laden.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:05 am 

Hi! Please recommend me black metal in the vein of this:

https://youtu.be/c0sekWesNNs

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:57 am 

I’d like to hear something similar to the most recent Cult Of Daath album

Yt sample
https://youtu.be/P3_9MWw7imc

Lazarus Steel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:39 am 

Not exactly BM but worth a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qUTWjGbuPg

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm 

pale_horse wrote:
I’d like to hear something similar to the most recent Cult Of Daath album

Yt sample
https://youtu.be/P3_9MWw7imc

You'd definitely want to check out that Alioth demo.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:26 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

No one?

I recommend the Blazebirth bands in general, and Forest in particular.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:27 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I'm having trouble remembering a ONE WOMAN black metal band. Any ideas?

It's not Anguished or Myrkur.

Nachtlieder?

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:36 pm 

antonthebassist wrote:
Could anyone please recommend some BM bands with good production values? I really want to get into the genre but I just really can't enjoy something that sounds like it's been made in someone's bathroom. I would also greatly appreciate any recommendations for more technical BM acts; I'm not asking for straight up tech-BM (if that's even a thing), just for some bands that play fast BM with interesting and complex riffs.

Nahtrunar - Mysterium Tremendum
Wyrms - Altuus Kronhorr - La monarchie purificatrice

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:41 pm 

CityofScreamingStatues wrote:
I'm looking for some Avant-garde black metal like Arcturus- Asperia Heims Symfonia or La Masquerade Infernale.

Try Le Grand Guignol's The Great Maddening.

caroinky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:05 am 

Hi everyone, I have some requests.
It's hard for me to find new bands, because I've listened so many black metal albums for decade, that most of them seem to me really similar.
Even more. I had broadened my preferances, so now I enjoy only noise sound.

The first request is about raw black metal. I like Vèrmibdrèb, which is surpisingly banned here, beause it's more about punk, as was said. But album "Grand Tyrans" by Akitsa is also punked, as for me. So, I like both of them and to find more bands with such kind of sound, but pretty confused about what exactly I'm looking for. Can you suggest something? It's definitely about vocal manner and experiments.

The next request is for oriental bands. There a lot of lists in the net, but the only band I really love is Al-Namrood. By the way, there is one song "Al Jihad" by Narjahanam which is also lovely. I don't like other metal genres such as death metal or trash. But sometimes I like to listen to some brutal death if there is powerful guttural (such as song «Saint» by Bloody Harvest). So, can you suggest really black oriental band?

Thanks in advance.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:34 pm 

Hey everyone, can someone recommend me melodic black metal along the lines of the following?

Forteresse
Aorlhac
Forefather
Fluisteraars

Really dig what I hear from these bands, even if they may not be at all that similar.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:07 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hey everyone, can someone recommend me melodic black metal along the lines of the following?

Forteresse
Aorlhac
Forefather
Fluisteraars

Really dig what I hear from these bands, even if they may not be at all that similar.

In line of melodic, raw black metal:

Stating the obvious, Arckanum and Ulver
Fuath
Caverne
Waldana
Turia

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:48 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Forteresse
Aorlhac
Forefather
Fluisteraars

I keep on recommending these bands, but I can't help recommending them again since I think you'd particularly enjoy them. Check out the latest albums from Wyrms and Brume d'Automne. I think they're right up your alley.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm 

caroinky wrote:

The first request is about raw black metal. I like Vèrmibdrèb, which is surpisingly banned here, beause it's more about punk, as was said. But album "Grand Tyrans" by Akitsa is also punked, as for me. So, I like both of them and to find more bands with such kind of sound, but pretty confused about what exactly I'm looking for. Can you suggest something? It's definitely about vocal manner and experiments.

I just want to bump this request because it's a good one. I honestly can't help you. There are plenty of bands that have some of the 'punky' feel of that Akitsa record, and plenty of bands with experimental vocal styles, but I can't think of anything else that combines the two. The only thing that comes to mind is Peste Noire's album, La Sanie des siècles, particularly the song 'Dueil angoisseus'. But I'm sure you've heard that already and I doubt it meets the 'punky' specification. I'd love for someone to answer this.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

Thanks for the recs guys. This should keep me hooked for a while. So far I'm really digging Fauth.

Starseeker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:10 pm 

mike_87 wrote:

I know I'm quite late but:
-as for the heaviest (but not yet black/death), you might be interested in Murmansk scene: Old Wainds, Навь, early Stielas Storhett (they changed their sound on the second album, which isn't bad at all, though), maybe early Мор (Mor - their actual name is written on Cyrillic Russian).
-as for generally good black (melodic and symphonic included) metal: Blackdeath, Gmork, Eutonazia Kordax, Narath, Emerald Night, Forgot, some Темнозорь stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 231  Next