Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:54 pm 

What's up with the amorphis hate?

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:00 pm 

Thank you BastardHead, for putting this all together.

My top 10 for the year:

10. Apophys - Devoratis
9. Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins
8. Crescent - The Order of Amenti
7. Shrines of Dying Light - Insomnia
6. Deathstorm - The Unfathomable
5. Khemmis - Desolation
4. Kill Athena - Ravaging All Within
3. 1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind
2. Cult of Salem - Unhallowed Rites
1. Sulphur Aeon - The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos

Debut of the year: Cult of Salem – Unhallowed Rites

Honorable Mention: Runemagick, Freedom Hawk, Forest of Shadows, Depravity, Alice in Chains, Entropia, Deicide, The Skull, A.c.o.D, Solium Fatalis, Tomb of Finland, Jungle Rot, Skeletonwitch, Summoner's Circle, Solstice, Desdemonia

A couple thoughts on the year
- 6 of my top 10s ended up in the Rando corne, while my other 4 choices were in the top 30 and 3 of those choices were in the top 20. Nothing special, just an interesting contrast in my own tastes.
- Sulphur Aeon released an absolute masterpiece. This thing is so dense and well written. It took me a few listens to actually get into, but once everything clicked for me I was in awe. This album begs to be listened to with a high quality system/headphones as there’s a lot that you’ll miss listening through laptop speakers or a standard car system.
- Unhallowed Rites by Cult of Salem was easily my frontrunner for AOTY before Sulphur Aeon released their album. It’s a Death/Doom outfit from Germany with haunting operatic cleans and incredibly visceral harsh vocals. The compositions are top notch and I’m somewhat surprised nobody seems to have even noticed this release. https://cultofsalem.bandcamp.com/releases
- There’s a lot more for me to discover and digest. I’ve been trying to get into the new Chapel of Disease but it hasn’t done it for me yet. I have faith that when it does, I’ll regret not voting for it in my top 10.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:17 pm 

1. akitsa credo
2. svartidaudi revelations of the red sword
3. vargrav netherstorm
4. archgoat the luciferian crown
5. visigoth conqueror’s oath
6. portal ion
7. chapel of disease and as we have seen the storm, we have embraced the eye
8. moenen of xezbeth ancient spells of darkness
9. horrendous idol
10. scorched ecliptic butchery

debut of the year: vargrav

big shalom to bh for doing this

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:20 pm 

Surprised Urfaust did so poorly since it's such an amazing album. Maybe it's the Atmoblack metal elements turning off the Stoner/Psych folks and vice-versa? To me it expertly blends the atmospheric/hypnotic elements of both genres like Om and Wolves In the Throne Room had a collab project.

Anyway, mine: (full list, including non-metal over on RYM)

10 Onirism - Falling Moon
9 Cloud - Deus ex Machina
8 Yith - Immemorial
7 Satan - Cruel Magic
6 Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
5 Thy Catafalque - Geometria
4 Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram
3 Entropia - Vacuum
2 Beyond Creation - Algorythm
1 Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice

On the non-metal front I'd recommend you folks check out:

Somali Yacht Club - The Sea (Stoner/Prog/Post mish-mash)
Onségen Ensemble - Duel (Really fucking bizarre Prog/Experimental in the vein of Thy Catafalque)
Ulvesang - The Hunt (Acoustic Dark Folk)
Winterfylleth - The Hallowing of Heirdom (English Dark Folk)

Last edited by Draehl on Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 pm 

Thanks once again BH for the great job you do with the poll each year. As usual there are a ton of albums highlighted here that I haven't yet checked out, so thanks to you all for taking the time to share your lists.

Top 10 metal:

1. Summoning - With Doom We Come
2. Aorlhac - L'esprit des vents
3. RÛR - RÛR
4. Panphage - Jord
5. Varathron - Patriarchs Of Evil
6. Antlers - Beneath.Below.Behold
7. Eneferens - The Bleakness Of Our Constant
8. Clouds - Dor
9. Harakiri For The Sky - Arson
10. Runespell - Order Of Vengeance

EPs/Splits:

1. Fluisteraars & Turia - De Oord
2. Harrow - A Fire in the Mountains
3. Horn - Retrograd
4. Coldworld - Nostalgia
5. CrystalMoors & Hordak - Árguma / Ophiusa

Non-metal (I actually enjoyed more non-metal this year than metal - these would all be in my overall top 10):

1. Fedrespor - Tid
2. Ulvesang - The Hunt
3. Nytt Land - Oðal
4. Очелье сороки - Истое
5. Ivar Bjørnson & Einar Selvik - Hugsjá

Debut: Bloodbark - Bonebranches

Steve Nebraska
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:25 pm 

Good job at the hard work!

As for me here is my top 10.
1.Vomitor-Pestilent death
2.Spite-Antimoshiach
3.Whoredom Rife-Nid - Hymner av hat
4.Archgoat-The Luciferian Crown
5.Dreadful relic-hyborian sorcery
6.Rites of thy degringolade-the blade philosophical
7.UADA-cult of a dying sun
8.Nachawsh-phantasmal triunity
9.Krisiun - Scourge Of The Enthroned
10.MOENEN OF XEZBETH "ANCIENT SPELLS OF DARKNESS

Honorable mentions
Morobosidad-cornona de epidemia
House of Atreus-from the madness of ixion
Crucifer-Thy suffer throne on high
Sargiest-the unbound

Disappointing album of the year
Deceased-ghostly White (smh) maybe next time.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:30 pm 

Here's mine...

1. Ironflame - Tales of Splendor and Sorrow
2. Amorphis - Queen of Time
3. Voivod - The Wake
4. Valdrin - Two Carrion Talismans
5. Deceased - Ghostly White
6. Einherjer - Norron Spor
7.Vreid - Lifehunger
8. Maligner - Attraction to Annihilation
9. Alphakill - Degrees of Manipulation
10. Icarus Witch - Goodbye Cruel World

Like your reviews?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm 

Draehl wrote:
Surprised Urfaust did so poorly since it's such an amazing album. Maybe it's the Atmoblack metal elements turning off the Stoner/Psych folks and vice-versa? To me it expertly blends the atmospheric/hypnotic elements of both genres like Om and Wolves In the Throne Room had a collab project.

I'm surprised, too. I though people really liked it, but maybe not enough to include in most people's top 10.

Draehl wrote:
5 Thy Catafalque - Geometria
3 Entropia - Vacuum
2 Beyond Creation - Algorythm
1 Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice

I like these choices. :D

Draehl wrote:
Onségen Ensemble - Duel (Really fucking bizarre Prog/Experimental in the vein of Thy Catafalque)

Your description got me to check this out. Not too bad!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:55 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Here's mine...

1. Ironflame - Tales of Splendor and Sorrow

Interesting, this was one of my main disappointments this year. It's still a good album, but sounds exactly the same as Lightning Strikes the Crown but with less standout songs. Funnily enough, "more of the same" is essentially what I wanted from Visigoth, which they didn't deliver, but I still liked the music a lot. Maybe Tales of Splendor and Sorrow will grow on me, but I was really shocked it wasn't nearly so catchy as the debut. And in a year that was pretty great for trad metal, no less.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:59 pm 

Wow, someone else voted for None's DSBM record. I'm surprised I was the only person to vote for Violet Cold, actually.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:06 pm 

Later is now.

Spoiler: show
1. Visigoth:Conqueror's Oath (1)-I suppose I had my pulse on the board for this one. I assumed an album would come along to top it, but it never did. Some songs are better than others, but I preferred the conciseness of this one to the Revenant King.
2. Sergeant Thunderhoof: Terra Solus (149)-Not the case with this one. I provided most of the points that this one received, and the Serpent and the Tree alone was worth every single one.
3. Wolftooth: S/T (107)-Also my pick for debut of the year, a nice slab of doomy heavy metal that won me over with its consistent songs, strong riffing, and monotone yet appealing vocals.
4. Gama Bomb: Speed Between the Lines (187)-I really thought this one would do a little better. A fun, speedy thrash release in a year that I felt was a little weak for that genre.
5. Satan: Cruel Magic (4)-Their renaissance continues with this one. A little less straightforward but arguably more interesting in its riffing, their best since Court in the Act as far as I'm concerned.
6. A Sound of Thunder: It Was Metal (145)-As someone else alluded to, some of the songs are weaker, but the opener, title track, and Tomyris are such powerful beasts that it fully earned this placing.
7. Necrophobic: Mark of the Necrogram (28)-I was not expecting Necrophobic to come back this strong. Tsar Bomba does not quite do as much for me as some others on the album, but it is a powerful blackened affair throughout and a real return to form, so to speak.
8. Wytch Hazel: II: Sojourn (36)-This one continued to grow on me and finally climbed into my top ten towards the end. The folky NWOBHM is not really my thing normally, but the songs and melodies are strong throughout.
9. Blood Curse: Sorceress (RC)-I'm not surprised this made the Rando Corner. It came out a little late and to no fanfare, but the old-school style here is irresistible.
10. Pale Divine: S/T (186)-This one barely made my list and mostly off the strength of the first few and last songs. It is a solid doom album in the mold of the Obsessed and Bleeding Soul is one of the stronger songs I've heard this year.

HM: Substratum:Permission to Rock (RC), Immortal: Northern Chaos Gods (23), Solstice: White Horse Hill (3), and Greenleaf: Hear the Rivers which isn't metal, but if it were on the Archives would have made my top 3 or so

Overall, my sentiments were not far from the board's. I shared the feeling that many older bands put out quality releases. Firepower didn't appeal to me as much, and I'm not really sure what happened there beyond chalking it up to a more familiar artist getting a few extra votes. I also found myself less enamored with this year's death metal releases with only Skeletal Remains, Hyperdontia, and to a lesser-extent Outre-Tombe really getting multiple listens from me. Extremity, in particular, was a disappointment, but I don't want to dwell on that. On the other hand, doom and to an extent black metal came on quite strongly for me with several releases making my list or just missing out. I think once I digest a few albums on the list that I missed, I am going to compare and rank albums from this year and last year to see if my impression that 2018 was weaker than 2017 holds. Still, I'm fairly satisfied with my list and that of the board's, and I look forward to plenty of strong metal in 2019.

Last edited by StainedClass95 on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeingard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 pm 

burnroasted wrote:

After releasing 'The Karelian Isthmus' they've just been coasting by.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:29 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
4. Binah - Phobiate
By the time this album ends, it feels like you've been on a journey or you've just finished seeing a movie. Unlike most death metal bands that try to be contemplative and proggy, Binah never really ventures into the progressive death metal genre, per say, so their songs don't feel lighter than your usual death metal, although they still use complex and creative riff structures. The best of both worlds.

I've listened to this about 5 times now and I'm not sure what I'm missing. It's good, no doubt, but I feel like it doesn't have the same staying power as Hallucinating in Resurrecture did. Maybe there's something I'm missing in it - I will keep giving it more chances.

joppek wrote:
7. Kriegsmaschine - Apocalypticists

:thumbsup:

joppek wrote:
some of my runners up include...aetheria conscientia...nightmarer

I like both of these, too. The former will likely improve on their formula the second time around, and the latter was just some really catchy death metal. Neither made my top 10 but they were worthy of a mention this year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:08 pm 

This was a pretty good year for metal, and several of those albums I mean to go listen to now.

My top ten list was this:

1. Panopticon - The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness I And II
2. Mournful Congregation - The Incubus of Karma
3. Amorphis - Queen of Time
4. Rivers of Nihil - Where Owls Know My Name
5. Light This City - Terminal Bloom
6. Cypecore - The Alliance
7. Omit - Medusa Truth, Pt. 2
8. At The Gates - To Drink From The Night Itself
9. Khemmis - Desolation
10. Omnium Gatherum - The Burning Cold

Honorable mentions: Unearth - Extinction(S), Evoken - Hypnagogia, Comatose Vigil AK - Evangelium Nihil, Monolithe - Nebula Septem, Outer Heaven - Realms of Eternal Decay

Disappointment of the year: Therion - Beloved Antichrist. It's... boring.

It's really neat to see two bands from my area get a decent amount of points - Outer Heaven and Rivers of Nihil.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:29 pm 

1. Seasons Of The Wolf - Last Act Of Defiance - immaculate, flawless, snappy writing; endlessly entertaining songs
2. Deceased - Ghostly White - some of the most genius traditional metal riffs I've heard in ages, and songs that are full of life and vibrancy and curiosity
3. Horrendous - Idol - simply their most advanced, complex work yet; fascinating
4. Solstice - White Horse Hill - massive, soul-searing epics
5. Akitsa - Credo - raw, sharp, riff-raging mayhem; love it
6. Chapel Of Disease - …And As We Have Seen The Storm, We Have Embraced The Eye - insane progressivism, genuinely surprising and affecting writing
7. Sulphur Aeon - Scythe Of Cosmic Chaos - crushing and relentless, like a massive wave of sound
8. Arrayan Path - Archegonoi - epic, strident, forward-thinking and well put together
9. Thaurorod - Coast Of Gold - sparkling with life and energy, catchy as hell
10. Black Majesty - Children Of The Abyss - their best album in a decade, heavy as fuck and complex

Debut of the year: Shelton/Chastain - Edge of Sanity 1988 demo

Reposting mine here. So glad SOTW got a second vote and some actual points.

Quote:
-Just one vote for Kamelot is surprising. I didn't even listen to the album, but I thought they'd better on name recognition.

It's a real piece of shit album by their standards.

Speaking of that... bottom albums of the year:

Virgin Steele - Ghost Harvest - Just unspeakably fucking terrible.
Mob Rules - Beast Reborn - lame, half-baked and by the numbers for them
Kamelot - The Shadow Theory - weak and timid
Brainstorm - Midnight Ghost - three good songs does not an album make
Conception - My Dark Symphony - weak experimentation that doesn't string into great songs

Last edited by Empyreal on Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm 

I'd have some of my thoughts alongside this list a little more fleshed out here like my post in the non-metal thread, but free time is not something I currently have a lot of atm. Solid year, definitely a lot more highlights for me than '17. And big thanks again to BH for putting this together, always a fun time!

10. Messa - Feast for Water: Immersive, hazy, female-fronted doom that incorporates dark jazz and drone. Really enjoyed their debut, Belfry, and this was all around a step up in quality for their sophomore effort.

9. Ungfell - Mythen, Mären, Pestilenz: About as Peste Noire as it gets these days (even moreso than Peste Noire at this point!), visceral meloblack with screeching leads, crunchy bass lines and those distinct Famine-esque vocals. Loved the dark folk interludes as well.

8. Sumac - Love in Shadow: Aaron Turner's done it again, what an absolute goliath of an album. Big fan of the previous two Sumac full lengths, however, the integration of free improvisation amidst the punishing sludge as really added an extra dimension and elevated their sound a lot. Definitely a complete album.

7. Convulsing - Grievous: Dissonant yet melodic black/death somewhere between Ulcerate and Altar of Plagues, this album plays like a twisted fever dream.

6. Svartidauði - Revelations of the Red Sword: Not quite on the level of Flesh Cathedral for me, at least not yet, but this record is pretty damn massive in its own right. Yet again a very oppressive atmosphere, loads of dissonance, and those wonderful Memoria Vetusta-esque melodic leads. Like Flesh Cathedral I expect this to grow on me quite a bit in the coming years.

5. Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms: Absolute riff salad, excellent slab of old school style DM. The chainsaw guitars, the murky production and vocals, the face melting solos, this is essentially just everything I want in a modern death metal release.

4. Knelt Rote - Alterity: This album is like the audio equivalent of being hit by a salvo of artillery 7 times over. Absolutely relentless war metal that is just a flurry of dense af riffage and pummeling drums does not let up once in the 22 minutes of run time. Total fucking savagery.

3. Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins: These guys really need no introduction. While I wasn't entirely fond of Where Greater Men Have Fallen, this album is a step right back up to the quality of the 3 albums that preceded it.

2. Bosse-de-Nage - Further Still: As with All Fours back in 2015, it seems Deafheaven's newest has again overshadowed them as far as post-black goes. The black metal nuances are toned back even further this time around for an almost full-fledged post-hardcore record. The riffs are tight, Bryan's vocals and lyrics are absolutely off the rails as usual, but the drumming - holy fuck. Harry Cantwell is an absolute monster.

1. Thou - Magus: There is no other band in metal this prolific while maintaining such a high standard of quality. 6 releases in total this year capped off by this depraved colossus of pure NOLA hatred. Dense, punishing riffs, a dark, overbearing atmosphere, and Bryan Funck's gnarled shrieks make this one of the most brutal sludge albums this side of Neurosis.

Best of the rest:

Chapel of Disease - ...And as We Have Seen the Storm, We Have Embraced the Eye
Urfaust - The Constellatory Practice
Akitsa - Credo
Cosmic Church - Täyttymys
Solstice - White Horse Hill
Un - Sentiment
Autarcie - Seqvania
Innumerable Forms - Punishment in Flesh
Wytch Hazel - II - Sojourn
Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
Nécropole - Solitaré
Turia's splits with Vilkacis and Fluisteraars

Debut of the Year:

Replicant - Negative Life: Definitely not as clear cut as last year with Spectral Voice. This was a really tough choice and was honestly a toss up with Jesus Piece, Infernal Coil and Ripped to Shreds but Replicant ultimately won out. Very solid DM with a jagged, dissonant riffing style bearing resemblance to the likes of Gorguts or Flourishing. Honestly the most impressive thing here is that it's a tech death release in 2018 that isn't actively annoying... 'magine that!

Bless that ONE point that prevented Amorphis from winning. Whoever's vote was the deciding factor there, you are a hero.

burnroasted wrote:

Probably something to do with the high praise they consistently seem to get despite every album having essentially the same formula for well over a decade now. And it sounds like a goddamn Disney soundtrack.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Last edited by IX Leviathan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:40 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Honorable mentions: Comatose Vigil AK - Evangelium Nihil

I quite like this, too, and it may have made it into the top 10 had it been released earlier than mid-December. At any rate, I feel like this band is back with a bang.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:51 pm 

My top 10
1 -Wytch Hazel - II: Sojourn
2 - Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins
3 -Morne - To the Night Unknown
4- Akitsa - Credo
5- Khemmis -Desolation
6- Cultes des Ghoules - Sinister
7- Mirror of Deception - The Estuary
8- Basalte - Vertige
9- Thou - Magus
10- High On Fire - Electric Messiah

At least Primordial made the top 10 :(

I'm surprised HoF finished so far away, to be honest. There's a lot of snappy riffs on there. With some hindsight, Deceased should had been on there.

Also, Amorphis has been writing the same albums for more than a decade now, it's safe, generic and vanilla metal. Very disappointed that it almost won!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 pm 

Pretty shocked to see Judicator only got one vote other than my own, and Dire Peril got zero (it was probs number 11 or 12 for me). Two of the best power metal records of the year by far; I've had John Yelland's buttery vocals stuck in my head for a solid six months.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:13 am 

I didn't give it enough listens to say for sure, but Greenleaf - Hear the Rivers may have appeared on my top 10 if the band were on the Archives.

MikeyC wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
4. Binah - Phobiate
By the time this album ends, it feels like you've been on a journey or you've just finished seeing a movie. Unlike most death metal bands that try to be contemplative and proggy, Binah never really ventures into the progressive death metal genre, per say, so their songs don't feel lighter than your usual death metal, although they still use complex and creative riff structures. The best of both worlds.

I've listened to this about 5 times now and I'm not sure what I'm missing. It's good, no doubt, but I feel like it doesn't have the same staying power as Hallucinating in Resurrecture did. Maybe there's something I'm missing in it - I will keep giving it more chances.

It does seem like some people really don't like it: the album is a bit polarizing. I guess part of it is whether or not the production/guitar tone obscuring some of the faster riffs is a good thing (adds to the esoteric feeling of the album) or a bad thing (riffs are harder to hear or not as prominent to some people's ears).

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:15 am 

Doomsday wrote:
DrummingEdge133 wrote:
2018 Albums of the Year:

2. Acolytes of Moros - The Wellspring
Superb trad doom record in the vein of Reverend Bizarre. A surprise find for me. The singer channels Albert Witchfinder/Sami better than I've so far found anywhere else.

Debut Album of the Year: Acolytes of Moros - The Wellspring

:love: Aww, I had to tell the band. Good friends of mine. Been there helping them since day 1. A sigh of relief that the debut was finally released after so many delays and bad luck. Onwards and upwards!

Wow man awesome to hear! Tell them hails from Metal-Archives. Glad I found that album/band, a very pleasant surprise. The opening song definitely channeled the mighty Reverend Bizarre as best I've ever heard, while still holding enough of a unique identity. Tell them to keep it up and working on their craft because I think their on to something special!

Peyp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:31 am 

This was a good year. This was the second year I made an end of the year list, but the first year I recorded my progress from the very beginning. A lot of great albums were released, and I was more impressed with the overall quality of this year compared to last year. However, there weren't as many amazing ones that really stuck out for me as there were in 2017 (I'd say my top 3, maybe my top 4 from 2017 beat out my #1 from this year). I listened to a lot of things similar to Dissection and Windir, and I love those bands to death, so don't be surprised if the list is biased that way.

1. Sylmagoghnar - Transience (FFO: Insomnium, Windir)
2. Cor Scorpii - Ruin (FFO: Windir)
3. Panopticon - The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness (FFO: Wolves in the Throne Room)
4. Deceased - Ghostly White (FFO: Autopsy)
5. Witherfall - A Prelude to Sorrow (not familiar with the subgenre, can't give a rec)
6. 1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind (FFO: Bolt Thrower, Marduk)
7. Riot V - Armor of Light (FFO: Judas Priest)
8. Kalmah - Palo (FFO: Children of Bodom)
9. Aorlhac - L'esprit des vents (FFO: Belenos, Dissection)
10. Amorphis - Queen of Time (not familiar with the subgenre, can't give a rec)
~~
11. Vargrav - Netherstorm (FFO: early Emperor)
12. Múspellzheimr - Raukn (raw black, don't know any FFO)
13. Arkhtinn - 最初の災害 (FFO: Darkspace)
14. Vallendusk - Fortress of Primal Grace (FFO: Wodensthrone)
15. Augury - Illusive Golden Age (FFO: Obscura)
16. Yob - Our Raw Heart (FFO: Sleep)
17. Trna - Earthcult (not familiar with the subgenre, can't give a rec)
18. Moenen of Xezbeth - Ancient Spells of Darkness (FFO: Baxaxaxa, Samael)
19. Nanowar of Steel - Stairway to Valhalla (not familiar with the subgenre, can't give a rec)
20. Imperialist - Cipher (FFO: Immortal, Dissection)

Albums I would've chosen if they were on the archives (I thought they were metal but opinion's opinion and I'm not gonna fight the decision)
Zeal and Ardor - Stranger Fruit (between Witherfall and 1914)
Wolvennest - VOID (between 1914 and Riot V)

Debut top 5:
Vargrav - Netherstorm
Arkhtinn - 最初の災害
Moenen of Xezbeth - Ancient Spells of Darkness
Imperialist - Cipher
Gaerea - Unsettling Whispers

Greatest comebacks (all of these were very good)
Judas Priest - Firepower (by review averages, the best one in 28 years)
Solstice - White Horse Hill (first album in 20 years)
Immortal - Northern Chaos Gods (first album in 9 years, notable skepticism due to the frontman leaving)
Cor Scorpii - Ruin (first album in 10 years)
Gontyna Kry - Ignipoten (first album in 10 years)
Unanimated - Annihilation (first release in 9 years)
Pagan Reign - Once Again (following a 5 year breakup, the first album in 8 years)
Aorlhac - L'esprit des vents (7 year hiatus)

Biggest guilty pleasures
Nanowar of Steel - Stairway to Valhalla (a parody album should not be this fun. I expected to roll my eyes at this one. Also Fabio Lione does guest vocals making fun of his own band)
Season of Ghosts - A Leap of Faith (too fucking catchy for its own good, it's the Blood Stain Child that never was. I bet Diamhea would've loved this)
Bloody Tyrant - Hagakure (the band made the switched from blackened folk to melodic death/folk in the vein of Insomnium. I thought it was a bad idea, apparently not)

Best worst release
冥無幻妖、「忌み双児」 – 羽狭 (THIS IS THE FUNNIEST SHIT EVER MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE GUITAR BEFORE JOINING A METAL BAND HUH)

Bands I'm sad didn't get end up higher on the list despite not even voting for them
Múspellzheimer - Raukn (no votes)
Vallendusk - Fortress of Primal Grace (no votes)
Trna - Earthcult (no votes)
Nanowar of Steel - Stairway to Valhalla (no votes)
A Forest of Stars - Grave Mounds and Grave Mistakes (no votes)
Onirism - Falling Moon (no votes)
Gontyna Kry - Ignipoten (no votes)
Imperialist - Cipher (DOTY #29)
Arkhtinn - 最初の災害 (rando 9th)
Wallachia - Monumental Heresy (rando 5th)
Vargrav - Netherstorm (rando 3rd)
Moenen of Xezbeth - Ancient Spells of Darkness (#223)
Due to the unfortunate reality of our guitarist fucking my girlfriend of almost 7 years WITCHROT will be taking an extended hiatus. I however will continue the band in another space and time... Thanks for the support, stay heavy. Also our drummer died...

RIP DIAMHEA

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:21 am 

I'm just happy that I'm not alone in my appreciation of Mary's Blood...well, I mean, I kinda am the only one to vote it #1, but at least it didn't end up in the Rando Corner.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:09 am 

My actual #1 is Zeal And Ardor-Stranger Fruit, but since they aren't on here (yet):

1. Sleep-The Sciences: Fantastic comeback. It's like Dopesmoker in a more digestible bits.

2. The Atlas Moth- Coma Noir: Man this packs a punch, I love the guitar work around this one.

3. Take Offense-Tensions On High: Sleek 80s style crossover with plenty of attitude.

4. Yob-Our Raw Heart: The fact that you can feel the emotional weight of Mikes near death experience behind this made it a no brainer.

5. Thou-Rhea Silvia: My fave of the six they did this year. Just straight up sludge barrage.

6. Horrendous-Idol: Band can do no wrong.

7. 明日の叙景 ("Asunojokei") (Scene Of Tomorrow)- わたしと私だったもの ("Awakening"): Great mishmash of a lot of more modern styles.

8. Bongripper-Terminal: 2 massive songs that beat out a lot of solidly good doom releases this year.

9. Windhand-Eternal Return: I really.love the grunge influence on this one. Band is catchy as fuck.

10. Skeletonwitch-Devouring Radiant Light: I thought they pulled off the black metal pretty nicely on this.

Last FM

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:50 am 

Thank you, dear Bastard!!

Holy shit, what a poll! While I'm absolutely NOT in line with Visigoth claiming the throne, I love seeing Varathron on the 6th place, as well as Satan, Priest and Chapel of Disease within the top 10, especially since that long-ass-title "…and as We Have Seen the Storm" album really came late to me and I'm liking that one a lot.

A little shocked about Behemoth's ranking (I ranked it SECOND place); i knew it wasn't that well received around here, but it really worked for me and I declare it better as a whole than "The Satanist", actually...

Also WTF guys? That new Fortress EP by the band with the same name (I'm the only one voting for it, at all! Also my debut of the year) is fucking class and better than that record you placed on the throne ;-) oh well....

I didn't like "Queen of Time" too much either and I can understand why fans of Voivod dig the "The Wake" a lot, but they're just not the band for me, I tried....

Anyway, a very interesting list and after getting angry because M-A's Facebook posting spoiled the winner before I could read this here, I've recovered and been nicely entertained a lot by now. Thanks again!

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

Ashaant
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 am 

Thanks BastardHead !

Very interesting list. I honestly thought Amorphis won't get such a high ranking, considering their general opinion recently. Good stuff, as I really liked Queen of Time. It was a lot more prog and had better songwriting than the last one.

Someone else voted Mare as no 1. Brilliant ! They deserve all the love they get. Also, Solstice album was completely missed by me. Listened to it after this list and my word, its sensational on first listen. Very thankful for these yearly lists.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:58 am 

Topp 10:
01. The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic
02. Lik - Carnage
03. Boss Keloid - Melted on the Inch
04. Dödsrit - Spirit Crusher
05. 1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind
06. Avslut - Deceptis
07. The Crown - Cobra Speed Venom
08. Eneferens - The Bleakness of our Constant
09. Barren Earth - A Complex of Cages
10. Altars of Grief - Iris

Debut of the Year:
Conjurer - Mire

Two of my favourites this year (not on the archives):
Greenleaf - Hear The Rivers
Sagor Som Leder mot Slutet - II

Last edited by e_ddi_e on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 am 

Interesting list. I thought Skeletal Remains and Tomb Mold would be higher. Nice to see some votes for Rapture.

Here's my Top 15 Metal Albums of 2018:

01. Voivod - The Wake

02. Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality

03. Rapture - Paroxysm Of Hatred

04. Bloodbath - The Arrow Of Satan Is Drawn

05. Drawn And Quartered - The One Who Lurks

06. Cardiac Arrest - A Parallel Dimension Of Despair

07. Druid Lord - Grotesque Offerings

08. Tomb Mold - Manor Of Infinite Forms

09. Mortuous - Through Wilderness

10. Extremity - Coffin Birth

11. Torture Rack - Malefic Humiliation

12. Ruin - Human Annihilation

13. Outer Heaven - Realms Of Eternal Decay

14. Genocide Pact - Order Of Torment

15. Petrification - Hollow Of The Void

Runners up:

Atavisma - The Cthonic Rituals
Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis
Deicide - Overtures Of Blasphemy
Jungle Rot - Jungle Rot
Krisiun - Scourge Of The Enthroned
Monstrosity - The Passage Of Existence
Outre-Tombe - Nécrovortex
Pestilence - Hadeon
Ritual Necromancy - Disinterred Horror
Scorched - Ecliptic Butchery

Bachstein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:55 am 

Ashaant wrote:
Someone else voted Mare as no 1. Brilliant ! They deserve all the love they get.

Very honest and likeable album, but not so brilliant to get into my top10 from my point of view. But yeah, I liked it too.
I'd like to also recommend you the following BM act, which also missed my top10.

Aooga
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:25 am 

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Very useful for out of the loop metal heads such as myself. Some of my favorites had releases this year and I had no clue. 2006 me would be shocked and disappointed. Will take all year to cover 2018 releases so by end of 2019 I should have a top 10 for 2018 :)

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 am 

Thanks for doing the poll. You're a good Bastard.

1. Solstice "White Horse Hill"
2. Hidden Intent "Fear, Prey, Demise"
3. Seasons Of The Wolf "Last Act Of Defiance"
4. Axegrinder "Satori"
5. Deceased "Ghostly White"
6. Pestilence "Hadeon"
7. Satan "Cruel Magic"
8. The Skull "The Endless Road Turns Dark"
9. Voivod "The Wake"
10. Judas Priest "Firepower"

Close but no cigar goes to (in no particular order and EP's not incl.):

Soulfly "Ritual"
Watain "Trident Wolf Eclipse"
C.O.C. "No Cross No Crown"
At The Gates "To Drink From The Night Itself"
High On Fire "Electric Messiah"
Cancer "Shadow Gripped"
Septic Tank "Rotting Civilisation"
Memoriam "The Silent Vigil"
Riot V "Armor Of Light"
Terrorizer "Caustic Attack"
Metal Church "Damned If You Do"
Aura Noir "Aura Noire"
Castle "Deal Thy Fate"

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 am 

Great work BH as usual, well done. Nice to see 1914 riding high on the list. They really made an impact with the new album, a beast!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 am 

burnroasted wrote:

They are a very inconsistent band, but when they're on, they're on. QOT is the best thing they've done in a long while and it well deserved to be in the top end of the results.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:24 am 

It's almost a carbon copy of Under The Red Cloud (which, if you're going by reviews, was MA's favorite album of 2015), so saying it's their best in a long while is a bit bizarre.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:34 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
It's almost a carbon copy of Under The Red Cloud (which, if you're going by reviews, was MA's favorite album of 2015), so saying it's their best in a long while is a bit bizarre.

The skeleton is similar to Under The Red Cloud but all the individual elements were upped by a couple percent, and they added some new stuff. I think autothrall said it best:

Perhaps these are not all entirely novel ideas for Amorphis, certainly not among the symphonic, folk or Gothic metal throngs at large; but there are clearly moments littered throughout this album when I feel like I've entered some slightly new territory, whether it's just the sound design and production values or the fact that they're testing out some new hooks here, or drugs there, or arrangements everywhere.

It's perfectly refined modern Amorphis. I would have loved to see it conquer the number one spot, but second place is great as well!

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:46 am 

Well worth the wait! Thanks BH for doing this, definitely a surprise haha.

I'm pretty happy with my list, most of mine did fairly well:

Glad Burial Invocation got a bit love!

01-Burial Invocation - Abiogenesis (#71)
02-Svartidauði - Revelations of the Red Sword (#18)
03-Outre-Tombe - Necrovovortex (#99)
04-Hooded Menace - Ossuarium Silhouettes Unhallowed (#30)
05-RÛR - RÛR (#57)
06-Tomb Mold - Manor Of Infinite Forms (#18)
07-Carpe Noctem - Vitrun (Rando)
08-Hyperdontia - Nexus of Teeth (#34)
09-Wytch Hazel - Ii: Sojourn (#36)
10-Devouring Star - The Arteries of Heresy (#226)
-------------------------------
11-Gaerea - Unsettling Whispers (#72)
12-Ghost Ship Octavius - Delirium (Not even rando, this makes me sad)
13-Kriegsmaschine - Apocalypticists (#77)
14-Horrendous - Idol (#9)
15-Ulthar - Cosmovore (Rando)
16-1914 - The Blind Leading the Blinds (#14)
17-The Ocean - Phanerozoic I: Palaeozoic (#85)
18-Cantique Lépreux - Paysages Polaires (#190)
19-Uada - Cult Of A Dying Sun (#37)
20-Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology (#13)

Runner ups:

Mare - Ebony Tower
Cultes des Ghoules - Sinister, Or Treading The Darker Paths
Selbst - Secular Compendium (Compilation)
Délétère - Le Horae Deprave
Basalte - Vertige
Malthusian - Across Deaths
Ultha - The Inextricable Wandering
Akitsa - Credo
Depths Above - Ex Nihilo
Mourning By Morning - Mourning By Morning
Spectral Wound - Infernal Decadence
Wiegedood - De Doden Hebben Het Goed III
Firtan - Okeanos
Wayfarer - World's Blood
Psycroptic - As The Kingdom Drowns
Augury - Illusive Golden Age
Inferi - Revenant
Arsis - Visitant
Revocation - The Outer Ones
Obliteration - Cenotaph Obscure
Chapel of Disease - …and as We Have Seen the Storm...
Wombripper - From The Depths Of Flesh
Monotheist - Scourge
Cosmic Atrophy - The Void Engineers
Soreption - Monument Of The End
Alkaloid - Liquid Anatomy
Baring Teeth - Transitive Savagery
Carnation - Chapel Of Abhorrence
Portal - Ion
Obscura - Diluvium
Nightmarer - Cacophony of Terror
Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality
Extremity - Coffin Birth
Demise - De la Manipulacion a La Ignorancia
Mournful Congregation - The Incubus of Karma
Evoken - Hypnagogia
YOB - Our Raw Heart
Monolithe - Nebula septem
A Storm of Light - Anthroscene
Sumac - Love In Shadow

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

AgentMadhatt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:55 am 

Damn legitimately surprised at the number one pick this year. I didn't vote but I adored the Visigoth release and feel it's a worthy pick. I just haven't had as much time this year to actually form a proper list but a few release I absolutely adored: Summoning's new release, of course the mighty Priest, and the most underrated of the year Antlers with Beneath Below Behold. A Forest of Stars, Nekrogoblikon and of course Visigoth all had tremendous releases. Great list and I hate I missed out on it

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Pretty shocked to see Judicator only got one vote other than my own, and Dire Peril got zero (it was probs number 11 or 12 for me). Two of the best power metal records of the year by far; I've had John Yelland's buttery vocals stuck in my head for a solid six months.

I would of included Judicator if I had remembered to vote lol. Would've bumped Thaurorod up too and put Tad Marose on the board

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:37 am 

My list:

1. Thou - Magus (27th)
2. 1914 - The Blind Leading the Blind (14th)
3. Convulsing - Grievous (91st)
4. Bosse-de-Nage - Further Still (110th)
5. Basalte - Vertige (189th)
6. Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins (7th)
7. Autokrator - Hammer of the Heretics (102nd)
8. Morne - To the Night Unknown (111th)
9. Archgoat - The Luciferan Crown (16th)
10. Tomb Mold - Manor of Infinite Forms (18th)

Lot more lower ranked albums on my list this time round, which is interesting. Wonder if anyone's ever had ten randos on their list before.

Last edited by Napalm_Satan on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:39 am 

burnroasted wrote:

I don't hate Amorphis-they are actually one of my all time favorites and Elegy is an unquestionable desert island disc for me.

I guess the last two did not click with me after the first few listens (Circle was the last one that did), but I am now seeing they are both highly regarded, so it is possible I did not give either album enough time.

Side note: Bosse-De-Nage making quite a showing. I did not think that their style would click with the tastes around these parts. Interesting. Was not a top-20 record for me personally, but it's still damn good and yeah, the drumming is out of control.
Obliteration

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next