Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:56 pm 

I assume that we all have one or a few of these: Bands that sound amazing and that you'd love if it wasn't for that one detail that makes it more difficult for you to enjoy or completely ruins the experience for you.

Personnally, I find it hard to appreciate Obituary because of the vocals. I find John Tardy's vocals to be an extremely weaker version of Chuck Schuldiner's vox. There is no power to them and it ends up sounding like a weak snarls. They lack energy and tonus, plus they are mixed very high in the mix, at least on their most iconic albums, and I often skip great Obituary tracks because of the vocals.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:10 pm 

Really? Tardy always sounded more commanding present than Schuldiner ever did. Chuck did sound good on the first few Death albums but I found his voice on his latter stuff to be rather mediocre and at worst unlistenable.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Bands that sound amazing and that you'd love if it wasn't for that one detail that makes it more difficult for you to enjoy or completely ruins the experience for you.

There's an early death/thrash band from Germany that played some of the best music ever. Somehow the fact that their name is on albums such as this just completely kills the mood:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:40 pm 

Confessor with their classic debut album. Do I need to mention the single aspect that keeps me from wholly enjoying this otherwise superb release?

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:56 pm 

colin040 wrote:
Really? Tardy always sounded more commanding present than Schuldiner ever did. Chuck did sound good on the first few Death albums but I found his voice on his latter stuff to be rather mediocre and at worst unlistenable.

It's hard to describe. He doesn't hold the notes he sings, he just goes "euuuuaaaaaaeeuuueee", like Schwarzenner sounds when he screams in his movies, it's weird.

droneriot wrote:
HeavenDuff wrote:
Bands that sound amazing and that you'd love if it wasn't for that one detail that makes it more difficult for you to enjoy or completely ruins the experience for you.

There's an early death/thrash band from Germany that played some of the best music ever. Somehow the fact that their name is on albums such as this just completely kills the mood:

Now that's funny :lol:

DecemberSoul wrote:
Confessor with their classic debut album. Do I need to mention the single aspect that keeps me from wholly enjoying this otherwise superb release?

From what I know, vocals are the most common deal breakers for metalheads. The vocals on Condemned feels a little off, I'll give you that :P

LickMyOrangeBallsHalfling
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:26 pm 

Not really a dealbreaker, but every single Nifelheim song title is the same. It's some combinations of "Evil," "Hell," "Blasphemy," and "Satan."

While this doesn't affect the quality of the music itself (my one gripe with that is that the production on everything after their debut has the vocals too buried), it means that every time I see the title of a Nifelheim song, I have to stop and think whether or not I've heard it or if it's new.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:00 pm 

Blatantly racist, Hitler's cock worshipping lyrics. I can tolerate some degree of right wing nationalism, or music by bands whose members express those kind of ideas but keep it low key in their lyrics, but I draw the line at flagrant Nazi bullshit in the lyrics.

If the vocals are REALLY bad then I can't get into it, but even then I'm fairly tolerant of crappy vocalists (of which John Tardy is not one of in my opinion.) My bigger pet peeves are lazy and/or poor drum programming (repetitive with no fills or variations, etc.) or badly constructed songs: riffs don't fit together, transitions are too jarring, no flow to the song, etc.

Edit: LOVE German Poison by the way. And the Canadian Slaughter, and the German power metal band Warrant, too. I'm curious if there was ever "Real" metal/thrash/underground bands called Ratt or Extreme.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:05 pm 

To me Tardy is easily one of the best death metal singers ever. In my personal top 2.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:07 pm 

”We're a rock and roll group."

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 pm 

Vocals, it's always the vocals. Araya screaming like a pig in the slaughterhouse. Clean vocals ruining otherwise powerful metalcore songs. Chick-type vocals in heavy metal. And in what universe are Overkill's vocals remotely tolerable?

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:11 pm 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Vocals, it's always the vocals. Araya screaming like a pig in the slaughterhouse. Clean vocals ruining otherwise powerful metalcore songs. Chick-type vocals in heavy metal. And in what universe are Overkill's vocals remotely tolerable?

In my universe. I get that Bobby's vocals are an acquired taste. Like cilantro. But I like them both.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:22 pm 

Children choirs for sure. I also hate when you're banging through an awesome song and then it breaks and some spoken lyric comes in, like a movie line or part of a speech or something. I can't stand that shit.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:31 pm 

Destruction - Infernal Overkill and Eternal Devastation. The production on these albums ruin them for me. Neither of them sound any good to my ears. Same thing with that German Poison actually, tried giving that Into the Abyss album a listen and the god awful production and ridiculous song lengths totally killed any interest I had in that band.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
To me Tardy is easily one of the best death metal singers ever. In my personal top 2.

Yeah for real, Tardy is a fucking beast and by far the best part of Obituary. What kind of backwards-ass universe is this where it's Tardy that makes Obituary unlistenable instead of their signature brand of Most Boring Riffs Ever? Tardy is actually the only good part of Obituary.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Vadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:52 pm 

I really like Ingested, but their lyrics are just...very "Deathcore" in a bad way. Even ignoring their atrocious hurrgoredeathrape lyrics in their first outing the lyrics in all their albums just feel very obnoxious tough-guyish in a way I just find dumb as hell. Thankfully, it's damn near impossible to understand their vocalist anyway and he does write some good stuff every once in a while.

Actually, I could say this about a lot of Slam bands that use an extremely played-out and boring HURRGOREDEATHRAPE theme that hasn't been edgy since Cannibal Corpse and Devourment first did it. It's not subversive anymore, guys. Please get new material. There's enough fucked up shit in the world to make Slam about.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:56 pm 

I wish Altars of Madness was tuned to D. Some killer wriftes on there but they ain't got no weight to em

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:20 am 

some bands sound better in standard tuning, they are just more aggressive and in your face that way. If Altars of Madness were donwtuned, it would just sound like it was played at the wrong speed- I don't think it would sound as good.

What he said about slam bands- I don't care for that style either and as for those kind of lyrics- it was kind of funny I guess when the Mentors did that shit 30 years ago, but not really. Still better than Nazi shit though.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 am 

Wrldeatr wrote:
Clean vocals ruining otherwise powerful metalcore songs.

Yeah I get this, too. The biggest offender that I can think of is Veil of Maya. They were awesome up to and including Eclipse. Then from Matriarch they started incorporating clean vocals and the band just turned terrible. I'll still listen to the older ones in fondness, though.

Morton Salt wrote:
Destruction - Infernal Overkill and Eternal Devastation. The production on these albums ruin them for me. Neither of them sound any good to my ears.

I'll agree for Eternal Devastation in particular. Even for 1987 the production on that one is very bad.

Continuing with the vocals theme, The Body is a band that musically I can get behind, but are ruined by the worst vocals I've heard. I didn't even bother with the new album (albums?) but maybe it's different now.

Furthermore, I'm into black metal that's a bit more experimental, industrial, left-field, avant-garde, or what-have-you, so Diapsiquir should be a band I'm definitely into. Sadly they can't write a decent, coherent song to save their lives, and their haphazard mish-mash of ideas bloating each song is a deal breaker for me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:45 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Yeah for real, Tardy is a fucking beast and by far the best part of Obituary. What kind of backwards-ass universe is this where it's Tardy that makes Obituary unlistenable instead of their signature brand of Most Boring Riffs Ever? Tardy is actually the only good part of Obituary.

Nah, Tardy ruins everything with that godawful Scooby Doo impersonation of his.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:52 am 

One weird "deal breaker" for me, is a musician's persona/attitude. If I can't respect the musician, I have a hard time being able to enjoy the music. Just to name some examples...Master, I can accept the first couple albums as decent, but always saw Paul Speckmann as kind of a "full of shit" person, a total bullshitter who overstates his own importance (plus he was rude to me when I met him so that doesn't help :lol:). I used to own a Hooded Menace CD until I learned what a douchebag the main guy behind the band is (his "tribute" interview to Chuck Schuldiner) - now I can't bring myself to ever play it again. That might sound petty, but for some reason I just don't want to hear it. For a non-metal example, I used to absolutely love Porcupine Tree's CD 'Fear of a Blank Planet'...but over the years I've come to find Steven Wilson as a very disingenuous and fake person, and the lyrics I once thought were intellectual and heartfelt just feel snobby and pretentious. There are also cases like Pestilence, some albums I still enjoy despite Mameli's blatant retardation...

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 am 

Moaning or other sexual noises. Not only do they make it embarrassing to show others, but they never contribute to the atmosphere of the song. Black metal and gothic metal bands of the "vampyric" variety are the most guilty of this.

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Children choirs for sure.

Speaking of vampires, I will humbly offer one counter-example to that.
https://youtu.be/O9qws9TjJ2Q?t=227

EDIT: Oh and pedo shit I can never stand. I won't name them again, but there are edgy black metal bands that sing of raping and killing children, and I will never listen to any project that they are a part of. Definitely a deal breaker.

Last edited by ~Guest 285196 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 am 

raumr wrote:
Moaning or other sexual noises. Not only do they make it embarrassing to show others, but they never contribute to the atmosphere of the song.

I quite like this song in a musical sense, but I will never, ever listen to it without headphones:

Spoiler: show

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:02 am 

Racism or homophobic lyrics. Fuck that shit.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:54 am 

raumr wrote:
Moaning or other sexual noises. Not only do they make it embarrassing to show others, but they never contribute to the atmosphere of the song. Black metal and gothic metal bands of the "vampyric" variety are the most guilty of this.

yeah, i can't think of one that would actually contribute to the song/album really; and i'm thinking of type o negative, so if they couldn't make it work, i'm pretty sure nobody has

also, king diamond in mercifyl fate definitely

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:50 am 

raumr wrote:

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Children choirs for sure.

Speaking of vampires, I will humbly offer one counter-example to that.
https://youtu.be/O9qws9TjJ2Q?t=227

Always hated Manowar's "Pleasure Slave" (KoM bonus) b/c of the moaning.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:42 am 

Any right leaning (encompassing political concepts like fascism as well as hate speech around racism, jingoism/xenophobia/nationalism, homo/transphobia, etc.) or christian sentiment in the lyrics or imagery is a dealbreaker for me.
Obliteration

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:59 am 

Politics don't really fit the thread for me, because shitty political bands, it's usually bands where the politics takes over and music becomes secondary and then it's not a dealbreaker for an otherwise great band, they simply aren't otherwise great. Doesn't matter if it's Assück, Brutal Truth, Cattle Decapitation, Havok, Halgadom or Der Stürmer, they all plain suck.

The opposite end is bands where batshit insane politics becomes an extension of the musicians' insanity, like G.I.S.M. on the far left or Spear of Longinus on the far right, and then it's not a deal breaker because those bands' messages are so far out they don't have any real world applications.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Raindream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 am 

over the top cheese. For example there’s a ton of Japanese metal bands that are amazingly talented and truly great bands but every song they play sounds like the theme of a terrible cartoon lol. If they used that energy to play less dairy-centric stuff it’d be fine.

Also anything preachy lyrically on either side of the spectrum. Leftist nazis and right wing commies can all get fuckered.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:47 am 

- When the drums are so loud you can't hear the guitars. The same when the vocals are too loud. A lot of great albums ruined by that shit.
- Drum machines, clicky double bass, etc are also a dealbreaker.
- Keyboards. They have to be very subtle and/or well executed.
- Melodic vocals have to be very well executed/implemented. Mixing different kinds of singing can some times be a dealbreaker for me.
- Not a great fan of solos. Keyboard solos = nope.
- Sexy noises.
- Awful intros/outros.
- If the album was recorded in mp3. I don't care if it's lo-fi as long as the actual songs aren't shitty mp3 transcodes recorded into an album.
- Fascism, of course.

joppek wrote:
raumr wrote:

yeah, i can't think of one that would actually contribute to the song/album really; and i'm thinking of type o negative, so if they couldn't make it work, i'm pretty sure nobody has

Yeah, I always listen to the version without the sexy intro and he interludes. The regular version sucks.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:16 am 

Guys, I think some of you have missed the point of the thread. It's not deal breakers for bands in general, it's deal breakers for specific bands.

Another one for me is Dying Fetus. I love death metal, and I have no issue with their playing or their skill or anything that they do, but for any number of reasons their music has never appealed to me. I've never been able to get into it. Maybe it's the production or the song writing or the vocals or the riff work or a combination of the four, but this band hasn't been able to make any headway for me.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:37 am 

theposega wrote:
Some killer wriftes on there

Now that is the weirdest spelling of riff I've ever seen.

And I definitely agree with most of the folks here. I hate hearing homophobic children's choirs moaning racist lyrics.

Here's another sexy one for the list of 'headphone only' listens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwHF4OZYkfk The voice over sounds right out of a '60s audio porn record.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:24 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Another one for me is Dying Fetus. I love death metal, and I have no issue with their playing or their skill or anything that they do, but for any number of reasons their music has never appealed to me. I've never been able to get into it. Maybe it's the production or the song writing or the vocals or the riff work or a combination of the four, but this band hasn't been able to make any headway for me.

This is true for me as well, and I'm not 100% sure why. I used to kind of describe it as "it feels like their riffs are *almost* good, like if they added one more well-placed chord to each of their riffs it would work," but I'm not entirely sure if that's true. Something just makes most of this band's music ring hollow to me.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am 

raumr wrote:
Moaning or other sexual noises.

So, in other words most of Into the Pandemonium?

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 pm 

I love Devin Townsend, but many of his albums are a strong NO for me because of the comedic lyrical content. I don't care how heavy or good the music is, I can't listen to a joke record.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:40 pm 

Bruce Dickinson's lack of balls when it comes to his voice.

GhostlyGloom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:12 pm 

The first thing that comes to mind is the clean vocals in Fleshgod Apocalypse. A total deal breaker for me.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:13 pm 

The vocals are of course a huge thing because its so prominent and a hard time to look past. For the other instrumentation the musicians can play to their advantages or mix it to sound alright. That's hard to do with vocals.

For me though lyrics matter. There are three types of lyrics that really put me off:

* Party and/or drug liberal (I'd add comedy type lyrics here to common in party metal type bands).
* Horror and gore.
* Misogyny.

In metal it can be hard to avoid these, especially the first two. I do make exceptions but generally these are huge turn offs that can make me disregard an otherwise great album. Pretty sure I'd appreciate Dopesmoker for example but I can't listen to it because of the lyrics.

I don't really have a problem with any political or religious type lyrics (or anything like that what can be potentially controversial) as long as they are well written.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Ezadara
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:32 pm 

Whispering in metal comes really close to this for me. You know, those death/doom bands where the vocalist can't actually sing so instead they whisper and it sounds silly and melodramatic and just kind of lame. Insomnium's Since the Day It All Came Down comes to mind-- solid album, but man, I want to slap the vocalist upside the head every time he starts whispering into the microphone. Either learn to actually sing or just keep growling!

Regarding lyrics: I love brutal death metal and slam but I'm at a point where if I come across a band in those genres with the same old songs about rape and misogyny I'm almost sure to pass it up unless I have reason to think it's really worth checking out. I think the turning point for me was Lividity's Used, Abused, and Left For Dead-- I'd heard good things and wanted to check it out, but I took a look at the lyrics and thought... Man, this isn't funny or shocking. Maybe I've just gotten older, maybe if I'd discovered Devourment now instead of years ago I'd be just as uninterested in hearing them on the basis of their lyrics, but that's where I'm at now.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:35 pm 

Morton Salt wrote:
Destruction - Infernal Overkill and Eternal Devastation. The production on these albums ruin them for me. Neither of them sound any good to my ears. Same thing with that German Poison actually, tried giving that Into the Abyss album a listen and the god awful production and ridiculous song lengths totally killed any interest I had in that band.

That makes me think, I can't fully appreciate Decapitated's album Nihility because of the very thin production. Tracks from Winds of Creation and The Negation all sound amazing and are well-produced, dunno what happened for Nihility. The tracks from that album all sound amazing live though. It's just the production that makes it less appealing to me.

BastardHead wrote:
Tardy is actually the only good part of Obituary.

Uhhh... what?

There are tons of good riffs throughout their first iconic records. This is the first time I hear people saying Obituary's guitars aren't good.

theposega wrote:
I wish Altars of Madness was tuned to D. Some killer wriftes on there but they ain't got no weight to em

I used to kind of feel that way about it two, but with the production they went with is thrashier and it works two for me.

raumr wrote:

I quite enjoy Dark Funeral's Goddess of Sodomy track. Typically the sexual noises and themes don't work too well for me, but with this track, I don't know, the themes come together properly with the music. The evil tone, combined with the sexual noises make use of women's sexual pleasures as something positive to music in way. Extreme metal is often very ungentle to women in depictions, sexual themes and violence towards them, so when there is positive representations of women's sexuality in extreme music, it makes for a refreshing and different feel.

MikeyC wrote:
Guys, I think some of you have missed the point of the thread. It's not deal breakers for bands in general, it's deal breakers for specific bands.

This was indeed what I meant, but as long as we are talking about dealbreakers in otherwise good music it's fine... let's just not make this about things we just don't like in music.

jimbies wrote:
I love Devin Townsend, but many of his albums are a strong NO for me because of the comedic lyrical content. I don't care how heavy or good the music is, I can't listen to a joke record.

I feel you. I can appreciate a more humoristic album, but with Devin Townsend it's kind of distracting and doesn't work too well, at least for me, with the kind of music he's writing.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:46 pm 

raumr wrote:

Lol. Especially when the album is supposed have a serious tone *cough*Hiidentorni*cough*.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next