Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:12 am 

Hey guys,

I haven't seen any talk regarding this absolutely fantastic black metal duo. They've released an EP in December (that doesn't really help getting you noticed...) and they have a full album as well.
This band is just criminally underrated if you ask me. They're much more than just another black metal project, and they don't sound like part of any specific scene. The musicianship in display here shows just how accomplished these guys are. The riffs are incredible, there's this sense of melody and narrative to them as well as furious thrash influenced passages. The songs are progressive and complex and somehow technical but they don't necessary sound like, say, Enslaved or Deathspell Omega. Yes, there's also some dissonance, but done in a more tasteful way. I'm not really good at describing how bands sound, so do yourselves a favor and listen to this stuff, even if black metal is not your thing. It's that good.

https://serpentcolumn.bandcamp.com/

https://grizzlybutts.com/2018/11/23/ser ... 18-review/

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:52 pm 

Hell yes! Absolutely love these guys, and completely forgot to pick up the new one so thanks for the reminder. I've always likened them to a more melodic version of early Krallice. Fallen Empire will greatly be missed because of wonderful discoveries like this.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:00 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
(...) and completely forgot to pick up the new one so thanks for the reminder.

Do it man, it's such a good little EP. I'm still digesting it but if you're a fan of the debut you won't be disappointed.
It feels to me like a natural progression of their sound. Cliche as it might sound, that's how I feel about it. There's more fluidity and more room in the songs for the ideas to fully mature, but it's still as aggressive and nervous as before.
I have to agree that Krallice could be a good comparison. Not that they sound exactly like them, but in the sense that both bands consist of very proficient musicians creating unique soundscapes that somehow are still possible within the realm that is black metal.

GrindcoreBreath420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm 

Ornuthi Thalassa was my AOTY in 2017. Incredible record. New EP is different but I'm excited to listen to it more.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:25 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:30 pm 

ambientsorrow wrote:
I thought it was pretty average (...)

Give it a proper spin when you have some time. They might not be for everyone, but average I can tell you they are not. If there's a band that's not your extreme metal by the numbers, this is it (or at the very least, one of the very few).

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:35 pm 

GrindcoreBreath420 wrote:
Ornuthi Thalassa was my AOTY in 2017. Incredible record.

I know, right? Yet it made absolutely no waves whatsoever... I discovered the band thanks to Odium Nostrum youtube channel and I immediately fell in love with their sound. Kinda makes me wonder... How much amazing music just flies under the radar these days just due to sheer volume of quality releases? It's an amazing "problem" to have, but I can't stop from feeling a bit sad that there's so many great records that could totally be up my alley and yet I'll never come across with them.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm 

Still hoping for cd release

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:42 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
Maybe there was something I missed, I thought it was pretty average for the most part and a disappointing release for a label like Fallen Empire.

Same here, i was fully expecting to love it but it's not really staying in my memory. The most interesting thing it's the skill of the rhytm guitarist

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:00 pm 

I haven't fully digested the Invicta EP yet but I agree with those saying the debut LP was phenomenal. At first it didn't quite blow me away and just felt like a jumble of riffs, but on repeat listens I really fell in love with it. It's impressive how they're able to balance the dissonant Deathspell Omega-style riffing with more trad-influenced galloping riffs along the lines of say, Arghoslent or Ares Kingdom. And the songs glide back and forth between those styles without feeling completely illogical.

Overall a great project and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them in the future.

Reply to topic