Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dustroy_Troly
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 pm
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:02 am 
 

Razakel wrote:
Primordial's one of my favorite bands but Exile... was a huge disappointment to me. A stark end to their impressive winning streak and easily their most banal album since Storm Before Calm. I gave it tons of chances, and still put it on from time to time, but it just doesn't stick with me. Biggest letdown of 2018.

Really? That's weird. It was my album of the year and seems to have gotten a good reception in general. Banal would be the last word I'd use for it. It's a huge and hugely emotive album. Which is par for the course for Primordial of course. Even though it was my aoty I did actually like it slightly less than Where Greater Men Have Fallen. But even on their worst day they're better than 99.9% of other metal bands. Visigoth being ranked higher than them is a travesty haha.

Top
 Profile  
DoomMetalAlchemist
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 am
Posts: 1664
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 am 
 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

1. Battleroar - Codex Epicus
2. Lucifer - Lucifer II
3. Burning Saviours - Death
4. Judas Priest - Firepower
5. Iron Void - Excalibur
6. Black Moth - Anatomical Venus
7. Axel Rudi Pell - Knight's Call
8. Age of Taurus - The Colony Slain
9. Visigoth - Conquerer's Oath
10. Ghost - Prequelle

11. Witch Mountain - Witch Mountain
12. Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Wasteland
13. Corrosion of Conformity - No Cross No Crown



Got a couple more 2018 releases today:

Angel of Damnation - Heathen Witchcraft
Alms - Act One

Both I would put on my list (probably bump Burning Saviours and Ghost) and Alms would absolutely be my debut of the year.
_________________
BadCannon: Heavy/Doom/Stoner metal/Hard rock from Fresno, CA Facebook

Top
 Profile  
DBettino
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:43 pm
Posts: 341
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:24 pm 
 

Good list, but not too many of my top ten are anywhere on it! My favorite 2018 album was the new Brume d'Automne.

Nahtrunar - Mysterium Tremendum
Dalkhu - Lamentation and Ardent Fire
Wyrms - Altuus Kronhorr
Brume d'Automne - Le Grand Noirceur
Knokkelklang - Jeg begraver
Lordran - Divulgence of the Rotten Spire
Spite - Antimoschiach
Alrakis - Echoes from Eta Carinae
Iskandr - Euprosopon
M8L8TH - Reconquista

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 649
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm 
 

Dustroy_Troly wrote:
Razakel wrote:
Primordial's one of my favorite bands but Exile... was a huge disappointment to me. A stark end to their impressive winning streak and easily their most banal album since Storm Before Calm. I gave it tons of chances, and still put it on from time to time, but it just doesn't stick with me. Biggest letdown of 2018.

Really? That's weird. It was my album of the year and seems to have gotten a good reception in general. Banal would be the last word I'd use for it. It's a huge and hugely emotive album. Which is par for the course for Primordial of course. Even though it was my aoty I did actually like it slightly less than Where Greater Men Have Fallen. But even on their worst day they're better than 99.9% of other metal bands. Visigoth being ranked higher than them is a travesty haha.


Yeah, I couldn't get into Primordial until the '18 release. I love it. Oddly enough, I still don't like any of their other albums. It's the weirdest thing,

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 649
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:47 pm 
 

DBettino wrote:
Good list, but not too many of my top ten are anywhere on it! My favorite 2018 album was the new Brume d'Automne.

Nahtrunar - Mysterium Tremendum
Dalkhu - Lamentation and Ardent Fire
Wyrms - Altuus Kronhorr
Brume d'Automne - Le Grand Noirceur
Knokkelklang - Jeg begraver
Lordran - Divulgence of the Rotten Spire
Spite - Antimoschiach
Alrakis - Echoes from Eta Carinae
Iskandr - Euprosopon
M8L8TH - Reconquista


I haven't heard of any of those other than Dalkhu (solid record) and Alakris, so now I have tons more to check out. Thanks!...I think? lol

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 4796
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:51 pm 
 

Primordial is not a band that has made the same album twice ever. The new one has a lot of post punk in their sound.

Top
 Profile  
PurpleDoom
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:39 pm
Posts: 332
Location: Gazing into the deep
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:25 pm 
 

Maybe I need to give it more spins, but as it stands I fall asleep halfway through Where Lie the Gods if I try to listen straight through. A few of the tracks are good (particularly To Hell or the Hangman, which some folks here have already mentioned) but none of the tracks hit the sort of high that at least one song on their previous few albums has managed, IMO.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:38 am 
 

i got into primordial roughly a couple of years ago when the title track off where greater men have fallen blew me away. after listening to their discography a fair bit, i still think it's easily their best song, and was really disappointed that they didn't play it when i saw them live a few months back.
i slightly prefer the latter half of their discography to that of the first, but that's only because alan doesn't sound as good on a lot of the slower/softer parts in the early-mid stuff, and he's improved over the years. overall a very consistent discography tho', and i like everything they've done to some degree

the new one was #5 on my list, and a fine continuation of great albums imo

i listened to the new solstice, that's #3 on the poll, and while good, i occasionally got a "primordial-lite" feeling from it, tho' of course it's quite different overall
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
PluviaSomniums
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:56 pm
Posts: 95
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 am 
 

Exile slowly grew on me. At first I was like meh...then I listened to it depressed and drunk one night and my brain just collapsed into the music. I still think Redemption is their album to top, though Greater Men came awfully close. Fingers crossed they tour the states again soon.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am 
 

i came across hyperdontia's nexus of teeth randomly this week, and only now noticed that it's #34 on the poll - very nice incantation style death metal

the things you miss during a year...
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
PeteGas
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:12 pm 
 

PluviaSomniums wrote:
Exile slowly grew on me. At first I was like meh...then I listened to it depressed and drunk one night and my brain just collapsed into the music. I still think Redemption is their album to top, though Greater Men came awfully close. Fingers crossed they tour the states again soon.

Redemption... is definitely one of their best. Underrated album IMO. Especially the first 3 songs and the last 2. Awesome stuff

Top
 Profile  
DBettino
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:43 pm
Posts: 341
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

I haven't heard of any of those other than Dalkhu (solid record) and Alakris, so now I have tons more to check out. Thanks!...I think? lol


lol hopefully you'll like a few of those. So much of the BM that I enjoyed most from last year seemed to me to have a progressive element to it.

Top
 Profile  
DBettino
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:43 pm
Posts: 341
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 pm 
 

PurpleDoom wrote:
Maybe I need to give it more spins, but as it stands I fall asleep halfway through Where Lie the Gods if I try to listen straight through. A few of the tracks are good (particularly To Hell or the Hangman, which some folks here have already mentioned) but none of the tracks hit the sort of high that at least one song on their previous few albums has managed, IMO.


I feel the same. I was very disappointed. But perhaps I haven't spent enough time with it.

Top
 Profile  
SD Plissken
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 77
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 pm 
 

This is my first time participating in an Encyclopaedia Metallum Album of the Year thread and I'm a bit confused by one thing: why does the numbering/rank start over again after #10 to #1 and proceed from that point?
_________________
Call me "Snake".

Top
 Profile  
BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 2:21 pm
Posts: 4266
Location: Turks and Caicos Islands
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:42 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
[24]Summoning – With Doom We Come: 2-2-0-1-0-0-0-1-0-2 = 104pts

My AOTY. :bow:

BastardHead wrote:
[29]Akitsa – Credo: 1-0-2-1-1-1-0-0-0-0 = 85pts

Not impressed.

BastardHead wrote:
[69][*]Aorlhac – L'espirit des Vents: 0-1-0-1-0-1-0-1-2-3 = 49pts

Getting better and better despìte my first listens.

Top
 Profile  
joppek
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:36 am
Posts: 1577
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:46 am 
 

SD Plissken wrote:
This is my first time participating in an Encyclopaedia Metallum Album of the Year thread and I'm a bit confused by one thing: why does the numbering/rank start over again after #10 to #1 and proceed from that point?


ummm, it does't do that?

looking at the post, the only place i think you could be referring to is at the "hall of fame", which lists the two previous years separately. which it does because those point values aren't comparable, since there's a different amount of voters (different polls held each year)

or maybe there's some rendering bug on your browser of choice, which gets confused when the bold stops after the first 10 in the list?
_________________
All the best bands are affiliated with Satan. -Bart Simpson

Top
 Profile  
SD Plissken
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:06 pm
Posts: 77
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am 
 

joppek wrote:
SD Plissken wrote:
This is my first time participating in an Encyclopaedia Metallum Album of the Year thread and I'm a bit confused by one thing: why does the numbering/rank start over again after #10 to #1 and proceed from that point?


ummm, it does't do that?

looking at the post, the only place i think you could be referring to is at the "hall of fame", which lists the two previous years separately. which it does because those point values aren't comparable, since there's a different amount of voters (different polls held each year)

or maybe there's some rendering bug on your browser of choice, which gets confused when the bold stops after the first 10 in the list?


This is what it looks like to me (I didn't quote the entire post):

BastardHead wrote:
Hello everybody! I just wanted to start off by saying THANK YOU to everybody who voted. This was a wild year for the poll, breaking both previous records by generating 135 ballots with votes for 563 unique albums. The results are presented with the final number of votes for each position on their respective ballots. Point totals can be found in the other thread if you'd like a refresher. Anyway, I know what you're all here for, so HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2018
  1. Visigoth – Conqueror's Oath: 8-1-1-0-1-4-0-3-2-2 = 293pts
  2. Amorphis – Queen of Time: 6-3-3-1-2-1-0-0-1-1 = 292pts
  3. Solstice – White Horse Hill: 6-1-1-2-2-0-2-1-1-0 = 245pts
  4. Satan – Cruel Magic: 0-6-1-3-3-3-2-1-0-0 = 244pts
  5. Voivod – The Wake: 4-1-1-4-3-2-0-2-4-0 = 243pts
  6. Varathron – Patriarchs of Evil: 2-4-1-1-3-1-3-2-0-1 = 214pts
  7. Primordial – Exile Amongst the Ruins: 2-1-3-2-2-3-0-2-1-0 = 191pts
  8. Judas Priest – Firepower: 0-2-3-3-2-2-2-3-0-2 = 179pts
  9. Horrendous – Idol: 2-2-2-1-1-2-0-3-1-0 = 168pts
  10. Chapel of Disease - …and as We Have Seen the Storm...: 2-4-1-0-0-2-1-0-2-0 = 163pts
  11. Deceased – Ghostly White: 0-3-0-2-5-2-2-1-1-1 = 163pts
  12. Sulphur Aeon – The Scythe of Cosmic Chaos: 3-1-2-1-2-0-1-0-0-0 = 161pts
  13. Slugdge – Esoteric Malacology: 3-0-1-2-2-1-0-0-0-0 = 142pts
  14. 1914 – The Blind Leading the Blind: 1-1-3-0-2-2-1-0-0-1 = 131pts
[/b][/spoiler]
_________________
Call me "Snake".

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 4796
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:21 pm 
 

oh thats the scoring, like visigoth got 8 no 1 spots.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 535
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:39 pm 
 

tomcat_ha wrote:
oh thats the scoring, like visigoth got 8 no 1 spots.


I now understand the scoring. Thank you.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:25 am
Posts: 475
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:48 pm 
 

true_death wrote:
tomcat_ha wrote:
Opus wrote:
One vote for Unleashed?! You are all a bunch of christians!


because unleashed deserves to be in the top 10 as much as amorphis and judas priest do but actually get called out for being a stale rehashed wreck of a band.


Nothing stale or rehashed about the new album, it was fantastic and easily the best thing they've done since Hammer Battalion.


Just checked out this album and I'm impressed! Granted, I haven't paid attention to these guys since their early days, and The Hunt for White Christ is kind of a dopey title, but the few fans of this release here sparked my interest. Sure as hell doesn't sound like a rehash, maybe of their last few for all I know (I have no idea), but it's certainly different than their first few, and the soloing is killer...not something I used to associate with the band. They actually sound pretty unique to me, which is a surprise.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 1127
Location: Greensboro, NC, US
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:10 pm 
 

So, I went back to this Amorphis album because of how surprisingly highly rated it was in this poll. And all I can say for myself is the same as before-a competently written/executed/produced Jousten-era album, just like its immediate predecessors. Very much a by-the-numbers Jousten-era Amorphis album, serviceable at best. In my view, this lineup peaked with Skyforger and has been coasting since, with the exception of Circle, which was a slight bump up. I'm truly surprised that the microcosm making up this particular user base would rate this album this highly.

But hey, you all like what you all like. Fair play.

I will say though, I am getting pretty tired of the relative ubiquity of Anneke Van Giersbergen as a guest vocalist. This trope feels like its starting to get old to me.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Cold Blank Stare
Coagulated Blood
Obliteration

Top
 Profile  
henkkjelle
Veteran

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:54 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm 
 

FirebathDan wrote:

I will say though, I am getting pretty tired of the relative ubiquity of Anneke Van Giersbergen as a guest vocalist. This trope feels like its starting to get old to me.


Her own material after leaving The Gathering has been very lackluster, so to me every single guest appearance on material written by the likes of Amorphis and Devin Townsend is appreciated. An album like Addicted or a song like Amongst Stars wouldn't be half as good without her. Moar! Moaaaar!

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 649
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:52 pm 
 

Yeah. Devin Townsend makes her sound fucking amazing, but on her own I don't really like her.

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 1127
Location: Greensboro, NC, US
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:18 am 
 

Aside from the 5 albums with Devin Townsend/DTP (two of which-Sky Blue and Transcendence-she is a complete non-factor, doing essentially nothing but wordless ambient background vocals or choir vocals) and the two with Amorphis (bonus disc to Red Cloud), I am also factoring her guest work with Moonspell and Napalm Death, as well as her live guest work Anathema/Danny Cavanagh (studio guest with Anathema as well) and The Gathering (weird to type that, but technically true in 2014).

I'm just kind of sick of her :lol:

I will say her solo albums are OK and Vuur is acceptable symphonic metal.
_________________
Dark Sacrament
Cold Blank Stare
Coagulated Blood
Obliteration

Top
 Profile  
PvtNinjer
Veteran

Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:45 am
Posts: 3876
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:17 am 
 

One month out from the end of 2018 and if I could change on thing, I'd probably put the album Heavy Dreamer by Vanishing Kids, and pretty high up too. What a great album!

Top
 Profile  
kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:36 am
Posts: 627
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm 
 

Anybody who claims that Amorphis keeps repeating itself since Tomi Joutsen joined isn't listening close enough. Amorphis never sounded as melancholic as on Silent Waters. The Beginning of Times is one of the band's mellowest outputs and uses a lot of folk elements. Circle on the other side is one of the band's heaviest releases ever and the first time Tomi Joutsen performed black metal vocals in addition to using way more death metal elements than before. Under the Red Cloud is the first album to use female backing vocals in numerous tracks to give them richer atmospheric layers. Each record is distinctive enough on its own to stand out. The band deserves all the praise it gets and would even deserve more. In my opinion, Amorphis is the greatest metal band out there these days. You are entitled to dislike its style but calling the band formulaic would only be accurate if we talked about the lyrics inspired by Finnish folk tales that the band has been focusing on for several records. Musically, there are few bands as exciting as this band.
_________________
My personal blog: http://kluseba.eklablog.com/

Top
 Profile  
mjollnir
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:14 pm
Posts: 1828
Location: Versailles, PA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:45 pm 
 

Awww fuck. Now I have to admit that I agree with Kluseba on something.
_________________
Diamhea wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
Edit: fuck it this whole thing is bait anyway.


Like your reviews?

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flem Clone, MDL, Oxenkiller, SleepingStar, ss3 and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  
cron

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group