Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 am 

Great band of course but I just looked them up on here to see what they were up to and what in the hell is going on with the plethora of live albums there?

Can anyone shed some light on that?

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:37 am 

The band has a policy of recognizing venue- or fan-made recordings of their live performances which are added to their bandcamp (see: https://sunn-live.bandcamp.com/). This seems to be grounds for them to be classified as official recordings and thus added to their metal-archives page.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm 

How can you tell the difference of one show where they hit a chord and let it feedback for a minute from another?

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:26 am 

traxan wrote:
How can you tell the difference of one show where they hit a chord and let it feedback for a minute from another?

Are we still doing this argument? It is the equivalent of an old man saying heavy metal is just talentless noise. Come on.

CrippledLucifer wrote:
The band has a policy of recognizing venue- or fan-made recordings of their live performances which are added to their bandcamp (see: https://sunn-live.bandcamp.com/). This seems to be grounds for them to be classified as official recordings and thus added to their metal-archives page.

Metallica releases every single gig of theirs as a live album these days, as far as I know. Somewhat distinctive front covers and all, and they seem to be available as CDs as well. Some of them have been added to MA, but I'm not wondering that nobody's bothered to add them all.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm 

traxan wrote:

Attila Csihar will be wearing different outfits.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 pm 

CrippledLucifer wrote:

This is the most logical answer here. I think MA are kind of struggling to find a way do deal with what to add to their archives and the way professionnal music is distributed these days. For a very long time, bands had to have physical releases to be added to the archives, but these days with the way the industry is working, solid, very professionnal sounding bands are releasing albums solely in digital forms on bandcamp or other platforms, so MA are trying to adapt, but there will always be that one band that just messes this up by basically sharing fucktons of live recordings as digital releases. So where should MA draw the line without doing it arbitrarily?

Plus, this goes with the Sunn O))) approch. These guys love the live set. They're live sets are often described by fans as an experience more than a music show. Sure it's nice to be there live, but I'm sure that the guys from Sunn O))) love how the different venues give different accoustics to their music, so they make the live shows available online for fans.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:18 am 

Speaking of the live stuff, back around 2010 or so there was the live version of My Wall on Youtube that was ripped straight from Live Action Sampler 2004. I've spent so much time searching numerous variations of queries to no avail... Anyone perhaps know how I can hear this again? It's so much different from the studio version, and I'm afraid it's gone forever :(

Reply to topic