Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:30 pm 

Kind of funny, but I've thought about this for years.

I've always loved Mr.Bungle and Faith No More and everything Patton does, but there's this one song on Disco Volante, "Merry go Bye Bye", where at 2 points they play a weird kind of death metal of some sort very briefly that I always really liked, but I honestly cannot think of any metal band that has consistently played in this style and was wondering if anyone could think of any metal bands that routinely play like the couple minutes I'm referring to, or honestly what style of metal you'd even refer to it as? I mean, it's SOME kind death metal I guess but the guitar tone and everything is just so interesting and different sounding to me and I liked with the really amped up speed of the drums.

They do it first from around 1:18--2:20 and then again at 3:42 and it slowly fades out and finally stops again at 4:40.

https://youtu.be/a3SQ3mTuYgA

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:29 am 

It doesn't sound like any particular band to me, just stock "mean" sounding riffs, faceless and generic death metal. Makes sense because I'm pretty sure they only did this for comedic effect, years ago Trevor Dunn said in a fan Q&A that he absolutely despises death metal, wouldn't be surprised if the other members had similar feelings (with the obvious exception of Trey Spruance) and were just doing this to mock the genre.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:26 am 

I think true_death is probably right with the above comment. If Mr. Bungle (or any other band for that matter) were to play an entire song, let alone a whole album, of that sort of thing it would become boring really fast.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:33 am 

Just sounds like an insincere parody to me.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:19 am 

First Rigor Mortis album comes to my mind. Speedy death/thrash... Only much better :P

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:41 am 

Try the first 2 Monstrosity albums, that's what came to mind - sans the zany fx.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

As others have pointed out, this sounds mocking and generic as hell, there are tons of speedy death thrash out there in the vein of those riffs but actually well done. Start off with master or demolition hammer.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:11 pm 

My guess is that the guitarist was influenced by the earliest Cannibal Corpse or Deicide material. I doubt his knowledge of death metal would extend to a band like Monstrosity.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:23 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
My guess is that the guitarist was influenced by the earliest Cannibal Corpse or Deicide material. I doubt his knowledge of death metal would extend to a band like Monstrosity.

I'm not so sure, I found an interview where he mentions that he worships obscure 80's Brazilian death/black/thrash metal bands like Sarcofago, Holocausto, Vulcano, Extermínio, Dorsal Atlântica, Attomica, etc...he definitely has his foot in the underground.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:21 pm 

It might be helpful to listen to those earliest pre-debut Mr. Bungle demos that do sound more death/thrash at times. Might give some insight.

AllHallowsEve
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Their first demo, which is their most dm-shaded recording, actually predates the formation of both of these bands. I think Trey and Mike name dropped Sepultura and Posessed both as influences in an interview.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:24 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

I made no such assertion. I simply listened to the listed samples and they reminded me of Monstrosity's earlier albums in riffing. You can listen to the similarities for yourself...

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Given that their material in '86 has some good flourishes of Death/thrash riffs, I'd say Trey was influenced by the likes of Hellhammer, Sepultura, Venom etc...

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:41 am 

OP I've been wanting something similar ever since hearing "Hypostasis of the Archons" by Secret Chiefs.

Reply to topic