Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:46 am 

Ok so I FINALLY counted my vinyl records. I've been collecting Cds for about 25 years, but only collecting Vinyl for about 15, and only seriously for the last ten, and with Cds I lost count in the 500s and know I have well over 1,000, but I'd never counted my vinyls and figured I had about 50 which was about right, since I have 47 (including 7inchs).

I don't only like metal: I like proto-metal, proto-punk, early punk, crust, garage rock, psych/psychedelic rock, Kraut Rock, early industrial,etc. I don't currently own a working record player cause my last one broke, but my style is to buy any band or album that pioneers what I consider an "older style" of metal or heavy music on vinyl, and then rip the tracks for the album off youtube or band camp. Some wonder why I'd waste the money on the vinyl but collectors would get it: a true mix of old and new. I listen to almost all my music via my Ipod, if not through headphones (which is most common) but also through my car speakers while driving. I consider "old music" anything that pioneers a style I like, which usually means 80s or earlier, preferably earlier but still lots of stuff I like began in the 80s, but there are some 90s styles I will buy vinyl of, like the first Eyehategod or Grief records as pioneers of Sludge or the first powerviolence albums in the 90s like Man is the Bastard and Spazz. So if it is after 95' it's too new for me to USUALLY want it on Vinyl, and then I only buy it on CD if I LOVE the band, otherwise, I download.

So without really fully examining my vinyl collection after about 15 years of collecting I already knew it was very "selective". Even if they aren't originals and are represses (which they have to be cause who can afford that...) they still FEEL old...so I buy them on Vinyl, then listen on my Ipod after ripping them off youtube or bandcamp (I REFUSE TO RIP OR LISTEN TO SOMETHING I BUY ON VINYL TILL I OWN THE RECORD), and then I examine what I have.

I think over the years my CD collection will not grow much but my vinyls will.

So....that being said......I am drunk hahhahhaa.....but I spent HOURS figuring out genres and years for the albums I have on vinyl and thought I'd ask people to rate my vinyl collection.

I don't give a shit if you give it bad marks, it's all subjective and just for fun, but here is MY CRITERIA FOR HOW YOU'D RATE MY RECORD COLLECTION OF 47 RECORDS, AND THIS CAN GO FOR OUT OF 10, OR PERCENTAGES OUT OF 100, BUT HERE'S MY CRITERIA IN THE ORDER THAT I PERSONALLY WOULD PLACE IMPORTANCE:

1) Overall, how many of these records, EVEN IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM...would you consider to be "old school"and pioneering in their styles (as that is what I aim for?

2) How many do you think you'd like to own yourself?

3) Out of anyone else who has a vinyl collection of 50 or fewer, how do you rank mine?

That's about it. Again, this is all for fun.

What I found, surprisingly, was that I have more old punk and garage rock records than anything else. I've tried pretty hard to get into punk and I like quite a bit of it, but also a lot of it has fallen by the wayside and just ended up in the bin of "that's old so it's cool"......so I really don't know how this collection would be viewed by outsiders. I TRULY ONLY CONSIDER VERY SPECIFIC ALBUMS AND BANDS "VINYL WORTHY" BUT I NEVER PAID MUCH ATTENTION TO MY COLLECTION AS A WHOLE OVER THE YEARS, SO NOW THAT I AM FINALLY LOOKING AT IT IT'S INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT I CHOSE.

It's older stuff on purpose, and I want to find out what the average year is. Anyways, here it is at the moment organized by general genre and year:

Black-Thrash/Black Metal and Death/Black

1) Venom—Possessed (1985)
2) Swordmaster—Postmortem Tales (1992)
3) Sadomoator—Goatsblood Pansmeria (2007)
4) Warhate—Vae Victus (1998) & Domini Inferi—Awaken the Beast Within split (1994)

Sludge & Doom

1) Dream Death—Journey Into Mystery (1987)
2) Grief—Dismal (1992)
3) Soilent Green---Sewn Mouth Secrets (1998)

Proto Metal, Early Doom & NWOBHM

1) Coven—Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls (1970)
2) Coven—S.T. (1972)
3) Coven—Blood on the Snow (1974)
4) Marquis De Sade—(S.T.) 1979—1981)
5) Atomic Rooster—S.T.) (1971)
6) Bedemon—Child of Darkness (Bobby Liebling--Pre-Pentagram) (1971—1974)
7) Blue Cheer—Outside Inside (1968)
8) Black Widow—Sacrifice---(1970)
9) Bloodrock—Whirlwind Tongues (1973)

Grindcore

1) Regurgitaton—Complete Recordings (1986—1987)
2) Knelt Rote—Insignfigance (2010)

Crust Punk

1) Destroy—Burn This Racist System Down—7 inch—(1992)
2) Morticite/Drogheda Split 7 inch—(2000)
3) Inhuman—S.T. (date?)

Proto-Punk, Early Punk, Garage Rock and Mod

1) The Sonics—Boom—(1966)
2) The British Mod Beats—This is…(1965)
3) Death—For The Whole World to See (1975)
4) Iggy and the Stooges—Raw Power (1973)
5) X-Ray Specs—7 inch—The Day The World Went Day Glo (1978)
6) The Boomtown Rats—S.T. (1979)
7) The Stranglers—Black and White (1978)
8) The Weirdos—Message for the Underworld—7 inch (1977-1981)
9) Eddie and the Hot Rods—7 inch (1976)
10) The Creation—Making Time (1966—1968)
11) Blitz—Voice of a Generation (1982)
12) The Deviants—S.T. (1969)
13) Stiff Little Fingers—Hanx! (1980)
14) The Lime Spiders---Volatile (1988)

Early Industrial

1) Throbbing Gristle—The 2nd Annual Report (1977—1978)
2) Portion Control---I Staggered Mentally (1982)
3) Portion Control—Psychobod Saves the World (1986)
4) Cabaret Voltaire—The Crackdown (1983)

Psych

1) Hunger-Stricly From Hunger (1968)
2) Strawberry Alarm Clock—Incense and Peppermints (1967)
3) The Golden Dawn—Power Plant (1968)
4)The Mystic Astrologic Crystal Band—S.T. (1967)

Kraut Rock

1)Necronomicon—Tips Zum Seldstmord (1972)

Miscellaneous

1)The Crazy World of Arthur Brown—S.T. (1968)
2)Lucifer—Black Mass (1971)
3)Son of Slam—Devil’s Advocate—7inch—(1994)

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:03 pm 

Get a Pitchshifter album.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 pm 

Lenght of post to size of collection - ratio makes it a bit hard for me to pay my respects.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:37 pm 

It's been my layman's observation that - outside the promotional forum - people like threads they can all take part in. I live under a rock when it comes to online things though, maybe threads that are all about yourself are the next big thing.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:43 pm 

In order to rate your collection, I'm going to need your address and a detailed list of your fears and times when you're most vulnerable.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:35 pm 

Ok, forget about it then lol.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:39 pm 

droneriot wrote:
It's been my layman's observation that - outside the promotional forum - people like threads they can all take part in. I live under a rock when it comes to online things though, maybe threads that are all about yourself are the next big thing.

You're right. I was drunk and got overly excited about having finally figured out the details of my own collection, but recording it for myself should have been enough, which I did.

I don't care if anyone rates it actuality, but at the time I probably thought it would spark a conversation about the kinds of albums other people would value having in their own collection or want on vinyl vs another format.

That was sort of my intention, like "yeah, that album is one I'd want in my collection because of this or that but I'd rather have it on CD" or "I wouldn't care for that one because bla bla" or "I only like Vinyls that are original pressings" or "I prefer Cds or cassettes or digital uploads to vinyls because..."

Whatever, forget about it.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:40 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
In order to rate your collection, I'm going to need your address and a detailed list of your fears and times when you're most vulnerable.

I'll have that ready for you ASAP.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
seriously ...... I have 47 (including 7inchs).

47 is not a serious record collection in anyone's eyes.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:47 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
seriously ...... I have 47 (including 7inchs).

47 is not a serious record collection in anyone's eyes.

Did I even use the word "seriously"?

If so, dumb of me, I was drunk.

No, it's a tiny vinyl collection, though I like what I have, but I'm working on it in terms of some specific stuff I want to have.

My CD collection is over 1,000 cds, but who really cares. Owning shit is not a real accomplishment, as fun as collecting can be.

I shouldn't have made a thread out of this. I was drinking and having fun finally figuring out not only how many records I have (not a big number but never counted) and looking at ones I hadn't looked at in years, but also figuring out the dates of the releases, and putting it on a word document.

For some dumb reason I thought I'd make a thread out of it, so forget about it.

drterror666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 am 

Venom - Possessed? Not even their greatest record. You could have at least bought one of the first three records ;)

Oh, and downloads suck! Only physical media is real!!! :D

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Swordmaster—Postmortem Tales (1992)

This album cane out in 97. Still, if you own this on LP, that’s pretty awesome, as it only had one press at the time of it’s release, has not been repressed, and is not known to have been bootlegged (at least documented). This album is underheralded. Good find.

You might wanna check out Discogs if you haven’t already. A site whose purpose is to document record collecting, all genres, all formats. You can actually catalog your collection there, right down to specific presses. I’ve got my collection cataloged there.
Obliteration

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:28 pm 

drterror666 wrote:
Venom - Possessed? Not even their greatest record. You could have at least bought one of the first three records ;)

Oh, and downloads suck! Only physical media is real!!! :D

That was literally THE first vinyl album I ever purchased like 20 years ago.

I wasn't even buying vinyl at all back then and seem to remember having wanted it on CD but only being able to find it on vinyl, but I'd love their 1st 2 on vinyl.

I agree that downloading sucks as far as it's not a collection (I know some poster here has a tag line "a bunch of mp3s is not a collection of anything) but it's too hard to pass up when music is expensive, and as far as my choice of downloading the same music I buy on vinyl so I can have it on my Ipod, that just makes sense to me or else I can't listen to it cause my record player is broken, but even when I get it fixed I don't want to have know way to listen to those albums when not at home.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm 

FirebathDan wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Swordmaster—Postmortem Tales (1992)

This album cane out in 97. Still, if you own this on LP, that’s pretty awesome, as it only had one press at the time of it’s release, has not been repressed, and is not known to have been bootlegged (at least documented). This album is underheralded. Good find.

You might wanna check out Discogs if you haven’t already. A site whose purpose is to document record collecting, all genres, all formats. You can actually catalog your collection there, right down to specific presses. I’ve got my collection cataloged there.

Cool. I totally did not know that. SO I guess it must be an original then? I didn't think I had any original pressings in my collection. I also have Wraths of Time on CD.

I use discogs more than any other site to buy vinyl but I didn't know you could catalog your collection there or how it works (I still don't think I really understand...)

What do you mean by "down to specific presses"?

Are there albums that are pressed more than twice, like, an original release, then released again, then a 3rd or 4th time??

I know nothing about recording collecting really, only that I'm getting into it. Obviously I'm much more of a CD collector.

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:17 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
What do you mean by "down to specific presses"?

Are there albums that are pressed more than twice, like, an original release, then released again, then a 3rd or 4th time??

Pretty much, yeah. Discogs will generally catalog every unique version as its own entry. That could take the shape of multiple formats (CD, LP, Cassette, digital, etc., any and every conceivable format), original presses and represses (however many represses, on whichever format), variants (black vs. color vinyl), basically anything that makes a version unique, they will catalog as an individual entry.

Take the aforementioned Swordmaster album-according to Discogs, there are 6 documented versions of this album. You have two CD presses, a CD promo version, a cassette version, an LP version, and a bootleg ("unofficial") cassette version. Clicking on the link to each individual version brings up a page specific to that version that will generally explain why that version is unique. I was able to use this info to earlier state that the LP version you say you have might be rare, as-according to Discogs-there was only this one LP press and no known bootlegs have been documented.

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
...but I didn't know you could catalog your collection there or how it works (I still don't think I really understand...)

Once you have an account and are logged in (I assume you have this because you've said you buy music from their marketplace), you can identify the specific version you have, go to that specific version's page, and click "add to collection". You can do this with any format, any version, any variant, legit/bootleg, etc.

MA has a similar function (but it's not nearly as extensive, as the version histories here are not quite as specifically detailed as they are on Discogs).
Obliteration

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:51 am 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

This is my canned response anytime I see someone ask to rate some collection. I collect video games and follow a few pages on Facebook, but will never list all I own or put up pictures online. And have responded in kind to any request to rate a collection.

This is probably a bit pretentious, but I don't collect for ratings or approval of others. I collect because I enjoy the games.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 pm 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:

This is absolutely incorrect. Everyone knows that your local hipster record store is totally selling original 1970s Sabbath albums, they just found a stash still in the shrink-wrap after 40 something years.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:43 am 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

This is my canned response anytime I see someone ask to rate some collection. I collect video games and follow a few pages on Facebook, but will never list all I own or put up pictures online. And have responded in kind to any request to rate a collection.

This is probably a bit pretentious, but I don't collect for ratings or approval of others. I collect because I enjoy the games.

Yeah I know I collect albums because I enjoy it too.

This is literally the first time I ever asked anyone to rate anything I own, and I was drunk lol.

I think in my haze I could find out what people thought of some of my albums and if they were worth anything, which I did find out that POSSIBLY the Swordmaster album I own is something special.

Done sober, it would have been a bit more like "are any of these vinyl albums I own cool in your opinion, and which ones would you buy if they were cheap enough?" and it might have ended up differently lol...

Last edited by Ill-Starred Son on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Ill-Starred Son wrote:

This is absolutely incorrect. Everyone knows that your local hipster record store is totally selling original 1970s Sabbath albums, they just found a stash still in the shrink-wrap after 40 something years.

Yeah, my friend (not a metal head either) told me his mom (granted she would be like 65) has an original Earth album (from when Sabbath was Earth) from god knows when around like 1969.

I said I wanted to see it, but never did. I'm assuming whatever he THINKS it is...isn't...lol....

Actually, the one album in my collection I feel slightly guilty about, yet good about cause it might be special LOL...is the Atomic Rooster album I listed earlier (I know it was early 70s), that was lent to me many years back by a college friend who was not a metal head.

He said it was his dad's album (which leads me to believe it MIGHT be an original) and asked I give it back, and I really DID mean to as my intention was just to record it onto cassette, but then we graduated and lost touch.

So now, his dad, who is probably around 70's---original (or PROBABLY original) Atomic Rooster LP belongs to me.

It's a VERY quality album, very proto-doomy and runs PERFECTLY without skipping on a record player--and when I see it I think of him.

While I feel bad, damage is done, and I bet I appreciate it as much or more than his dad did lol.

The 2nd vinyl album I EVER bought (after Venom's Possessed) was my copy of Black Widow's "Come to the Sabbath" at a store down in the East Village in the mid 90s.

I have no clue if it could be original, but it's probably old-ish, and I'd passed that store looking at it thinking about buying it 2 or 3 times before I finally did.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 am 

Um....I was being extremely sarcastic with that, pointing out what I thought was so obvious that it shouldnt need saying. Namely, that those classic albums have been repressed 100+ times when you take into account that there was a US pressing, a UK pressing, France, Germany, Greece, Australia, New Zealand etc etc....and if you buy a new one now its a different master. Go look in any book in your shelf thats halfway popular. The flyleaf will show "original printing 19xx, and 20 or 30 subsequent reprints.

Reading that back that was much more sarcastic and pissy than I wanted it to be.

Fact is, the record industry used to work very differently than it does today, particularly in terms of indie/underground stuff. The economics of it meant that it was cheaper to license a local edition which would be pressed by either a local subsidiary of the international label, or license it out to a 3rd party local label, than import a record from America or Britain. So you get regional versions of classic albums where the jacket might be different for example - I have a lot of 70s New Zealand pressings where the jacket is pretty shoddy but the vinyl transfer is surprisingly good. But I have very few US/UK versions of those albums because they were prohibitively expensive to import due to the tarrif regulations in place back then.

Even for more modern Death/Black metal stuff, for many years Osmose, Moonfog, Peaceville etc had an arrangement with an Australian distributor that they would press new copies down here rather than import the European edition. Often they are concurrent with the first press but obviously with different matrix numbers and with that yellow triangle modern invasion sticker on the back denoting that it is the Australian press.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 pm 

I have close to 3000 CDs and around 800 vinyl.

I purchased CDs from 1995-2013 (but seriously from about 2001-2013) I've been buying vinyl seriously since 2012, but i've really slowed down lately. In 2018, I purchased 5 records (all vinyl). I haven't purchased anything yet this year.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
Um....I was being extremely sarcastic with that, pointing out what I thought was so obvious that it shouldnt need saying. Namely, that those classic albums have been repressed 100+ times when you take into account that there was a US pressing, a UK pressing, France, Germany, Greece, Australia, New Zealand etc etc....and if you buy a new one now its a different master. Go look in any book in your shelf thats halfway popular. The flyleaf will show "original printing 19xx, and 20 or 30 subsequent reprints.

Reading that back that was much more sarcastic and pissy than I wanted it to be.

Fact is, the record industry used to work very differently than it does today, particularly in terms of indie/underground stuff. The economics of it meant that it was cheaper to license a local edition which would be pressed by either a local subsidiary of the international label, or license it out to a 3rd party local label, than import a record from America or Britain. So you get regional versions of classic albums where the jacket might be different for example - I have a lot of 70s New Zealand pressings where the jacket is pretty shoddy but the vinyl transfer is surprisingly good. But I have very few US/UK versions of those albums because they were prohibitively expensive to import due to the tarrif regulations in place back then.

Even for more modern Death/Black metal stuff, for many years Osmose, Moonfog, Peaceville etc had an arrangement with an Australian distributor that they would press new copies down here rather than import the European edition. Often they are concurrent with the first press but obviously with different matrix numbers and with that yellow triangle modern invasion sticker on the back denoting that it is the Australian press.

Yeah dude, I knew you were being sarcastic.

That was why I shared the story about my friend saying his mom had an original copy of an Earth album on Vinyl, because I would bet good money that she didn't and that there's probably only a few people in the world who do. It was a parallel to your comment about hipsters always thinking they have original vinyls when they don't, even though my friend wasn't a hipster.

Then that kind of led me off onto a different tangent about the Atomic Rooster album I have that I DO think might be original, but my first comments were acknowledging what you were saying.

Reply to topic