Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:40 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Noob question, perhaps, but what are some straight-up, not particularly extravagant (at least vocals-wise) heavy metal albums with an obvious focus on melody, catchiness and choruses without necessarily leaning towards hard rock, glam metal or anything very commercial? Remind me of some obvious recs, too, please, I haven't listened to heavy metal in some time. Something like this:

Ever check out any Skullview? They're a band that doesn't get much lip service but their shit ruuuules and it's about the purest traditional heavy metal I can think of. They aren't afraid of speed but there's zero thrash or outside influences. They're also blessed with a vocalist who actually has a personality. I favor their second album but opinions are divided there. Maybe check a few songs out!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:50 pm 

I think it's a perfectly fine song, though kinda weird that it sounds like a parody of Visigoth instead of being an influence to them. I never checked out Make it Dark, and didn't really lose my shit over the Walpyrgus album, but if all the songs are this good or better, I'd be into it.

Friendly reminder that LETHEAN put out one of the best trad metal albums of 2018 and not nearly enough people put it on their top 10 lists! It's like a female-fronted Isen Torr with a touch of doom. Reminds me of demo era TTD as well, which also had a lady singer.

my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:06 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Noob question, perhaps, but what are some straight-up, not particularly extravagant (at least vocals-wise) heavy metal albums with an obvious focus on melody, catchiness and choruses without necessarily leaning towards hard rock, glam metal or anything very commercial? Remind me of some obvious recs, too, please, I haven't listened to heavy metal in some time. Something like this:

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:25 pm 

Hey guys I'm brain-fogging on one of the best releases ever please help me out. Mid 80s, EP, super expensive, extremely yellow cover with like a middle eastern style wizard on the cover. It was only 3 songs and a few singles when it got reissued I think? I know you guys know what I'm talking about help a fella out.

Edit: the music itself was really hard charging, late-run nwobhm.

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:36 pm 

That sounds like We Stand to Fight by Virtue to me

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:39 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Hello everyone. Can someone recommend me spacey, proggy NWOBHM/Traditional metal?

I'm thinking of bands/releases along the lines of...

Shiva - Firedance
Full Moon - S/T
Sacred Blade - Of Sun + Moon
Chasar - Gypsy Roller

Was flipping through my own collection for inspiration and found Envoy of Death by Sarcofagus. If you haven't heard this one I think it might be right in your wheelhouse. Really out there with tons of 70s holdover influence. I think you could draw easy parallels to Full Moon.

CCSaint10 wrote:

GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:49 am 

So apparently Leverage have reappeared from falling off the face of the earth, and released a single last year without my knowledge called "Red Moon Over Sonora." I really like it, though the new vocalist will take some getting used to.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:22 am 

That wasn't too bad. I liked the vocals. The structure of the song seemed a bit odd to me - maybe the music was too far in the back of the mix, or maybe it was a bit too slow. But it's got potential. I didn't ever think we'd hear from this band again.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:37 pm 

I'm just a real sucker for that lonely desert atmosphere the song evokes so well. It's the same reason "Winter in the Desert Sky" is my favorite Chalice (Aus) track.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:28 am 

Been poking around the newer work of Aria (RUS). I'm about halfway through their 2018 album, and while the vocals are rock solid as usual, the guitars do very little to stand out, barring a few moments.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:52 pm 

CCSaint10 wrote:

Best "Post-NWOBHM" release? Maybe.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm 

I'd love to hear suggested competitors...although it could turn stale obsessing over a post-nwobhm definition. I would say Virtue and all the mid-late 80s Satan stuff is the best I can think of.

Also uhhh Cloven Hoof I guess. Dominator and A Sultans Ransom are special. NWOBHM turned USPM.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 pm 

I dunno, I was never super hot on Virtue myself. The vocals and production and whatnot are a million times better than basically ever other not-famous NWOBHM band, but I just don't feel the songwriting ever lives up to the promise of the first few "oh fuck this is gonna KILL" bars.

If we're gonna say post-NWOBHM is everything after 1984 or so, I'd say it's hard to beat Desolation Angels' s/t. Just a fuckin gigantic sound on that one. War Machine are pretty unique too, not really a contender for "best" but definitely worth an honorable mention at least. Thick dark atmosphere, real intricate riffs.

Marcohateshipsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:41 am 

The A side to the Charger single is about as good as post-NWOBHM gets IMO. The vocal hooks and high energy guitar leads are everything I could possibly wish for in this style.

Traditional metal (US power, speed, epic heavy, doom, etc) interviews, guides, reviews, and articles

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:47 am 

I want heavy metal with lots of high pitches falsetto's. Catchy, over the top in the vein of Manowar!

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:40 am 

Sepulchrave wrote:

Wolf fits your description pretty well, I'd say. Not flashy (especially vocally), but the melodies and choruses are great! One of my absolute favorite heavy metal albums.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:39 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I want heavy metal with lots of high pitches falsetto's. Catchy, over the top in the vein of Manowar!

CAULDRON BORN - "And Rome Shall Fall"

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:50 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Wolf fits your description pretty well, I'd say. Not flashy (especially vocally), but the melodies and choruses are great! One of my absolute favorite heavy metal albums.

Hell yes. That opening track is the stuff of legends, I say. It's such a shame these guys didn't get much recognition in their time.
Sepulchrave wrote:
Noob question, perhaps, but what are some straight-up, not particularly extravagant (at least vocals-wise) heavy metal albums with an obvious focus on melody, catchiness and choruses without necessarily leaning towards hard rock, glam metal or anything very commercial? Remind me of some obvious recs, too, please, I haven't listened to heavy metal in some time.

I would recommend...

Ariadna Project (some straight-laced power metal from Argentina)

Eden's Curse (some wonderfully catchy heavy/power metal, if you don't mind the at-times cloying Christian lyrics)

Falconer (masterful, disciplined, and awesome all-around; check out their first two, Northwind, Among Beggars & Thieves, and Black Moon Rising)

Hanker (quirky and unique, an essential lesser-known heavy metal band if there ever was one)

Iron Mask (the first few albums have the better vocalist, but they're pretty consistently decent if you ask me)

Leverage (the vocalist might be on the brink of what you might consider extravagant, but they're pretty grounded otherwise)

Motorjesus (rockin' Southern heavy metal for the trailer trash loser in all of us)

Pharaoh (rough and ambitious power metal with a vocalist that is simultaneously flexible and down-to-earth)

Satan (DO IT!!)

Seventh Avenue (again, if you can digest Christian lyrics, you've got some top-shelf Gamma Ray worship here)

Symphony X (prog metal that doesn't disappear up its own asshole!)

TANK (badass heavy metal, enough said)

Tarot (Marco Hietala as a vocalist is a bit of an acquired taste, but if you like him, this band is a no-brainer)

The Vision Bleak (if you're ever in that spooky October mood and want something to augment your King Diamond/Mercyful Fate and Type O Negative library, here ya go)

Triosphere (master-class heavy metal with one of my favorite female vocalists)

Mary's Blood (because fuck you, they're my favorite band, I do what I want~)

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:13 am 

wildcard wrote:
I can see why Virgin Steele's style since Visions of Eden can be such an put off. I don't mind it and I find something enjoyable on all of their releases. For all those looking for something akin to their older style check out Fallen Angels, Anger Never Dies, West of Sumer, A Greater Burning of Innocence and The Birth of Beauty off of Nocturnes of Hellfire and Damnation. Off of the new boxset I would recommend the covers of UFO's Profession of Violence and Alice in Chain's Nutshell. They are not really like VS's older style but still good IMO.

Visions of Eden I have to agree is the last truly quality record they did, even if it is somewhat inferior to the previous ones. It is probably their weirdest one too, It's basically powermetal with keyboards doing the guitar riffing instead which I don't think i've ever heard elsewhere, or at least not on this scale and quality. Also Black Light on Black is a killer track.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:56 am 

Visions of Eden is a gorgeous album that doesn't need to be 80 minutes long. But yeah, good stuff.

I'll never get how Marco Hietala's voice is an acquired taste. Easily one of my favorite singers. Suffer Our Pleasures rules to this day.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:11 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
So apparently Leverage have reappeared from falling off the face of the earth, and released a single last year without my knowledge called "Red Moon Over Sonora." I really like it, though the new vocalist will take some getting used to.

I really like this.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:39 pm 

Hey, Falconer are actually really good! I know I'm about 17 years late to this party, but yeah, good stuff. It shows that their singer sounds like a musical theatre guy but it works.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

I've always been a fan of the Mathias Blad Falconer albums. There's something special about the combination of their signature riffing style and his vocals to me, it just works well in a way you wouldn't expect. Europower but not really traditional Europower in the sense that Falconer don't rely primarily on power chords and make excessive use of keys. They definitely do their own thing.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:23 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

I tried to listen to this band once and I just could not get past the vocals.

Do you just have to be an irredeemable weeb to enjoy this or what?

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:24 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I tried to listen to this band once and I just could not get past the vocals.

Do you just have to be an irredeemable weeb to enjoy this or what?

>entirely traditional 80s style power metal
>"weeb"
lol what the fuck are you smoking, do you even know what weeb means? Jesus Christ.

If you want to see "weeb," try this on for size:

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:24 pm 

Hello, i saw once a russian power or heavy cover from the 2000's-2010's with a creature like a troll dancing/playing flute on it with blue/green colors but can't find it again, any idea?
Thanks

Astral_Rider
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:12 pm 

Hi Guys. I'm looking for recommendations for bands like Sumerlands. I just discovered their debut album and I'm in love with it. Thanks!

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:28 pm 

Should I start listening to Helloween with Walls of Jericho or Keeper of the Seven Keys? Never heard anything from them before. Also not really heard any power metal before.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:20 am 

Walls Of Jericho if you want raw sounding metal

Keeper Of The Seven Keys if you want a more polished sound

What do you usually listen to? There may be other "gateway bands" if you tell what you're into already :)
There's power metal that borders on pretty much any subgenre you can think of, and Helloween might not necessarly be the best first choice for you.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:39 pm 

It's not worth worrying about, listen to some Helloween, you'll either like it or you won't. If not, there are plenty of other PM bands to check out. Helloween might not be a bad place to start, either.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:27 pm 

Go for Walls of Jericho. It's faster, heavier and more riff-centered than the Keepers stuff. It also doesn't feature Michael Kiske so that's a plus. :p

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:18 am 

Bayern's review of Turbo's (Pol) Dead End inspired me to check it out (Having only heard their early work), and I honestly can't believe this is the same band that released Smak ciszy. It's not even bad, it's just not what I want from these guys.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:47 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Bayern's review of Turbo's (Pol) Dead End inspired me to check it out (Having only heard their early work), and I honestly can't believe this is the same band that released Smak ciszy. It's not even bad, it's just not what I want from these guys.

Bayern's reviews are easily some of the best on the whole site. He has guided me towards quality MANY times.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:43 pm 

Okay, yeah, the Traveler full-length definitely delivers. Not much to say other than that it's really fucking good, and I'll be listening to it a whole lot.

In other news, have you guys heard the new Idle Hands track? Holy fuck, is it good:

If the rest of this album is of this quality, they might end up my favorite modern band. No one else is doing anything really similar to what they've got going.

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:40 am 

While waiting for my message to be approved, I went ahead and listened to Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1. Shit fucking rocks.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 am 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:

I've heard 2 of their thrash albums and they're not that great. Poor man's Sepultura? Pretty much. Kawaleria szatana, however, is fucking brilliant. It's like giving Iron Maiden five strong Polish beers and a line of speed. Powerslav? Pretty much.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am 

Pellinore wrote:
While waiting for my message to be approved, I went ahead and listened to Keeper of the Seven Keys part 1. Shit fucking rocks.

It's their best album, and a minor masterpiece. Glad you like it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:56 am 

I'm really enjoying this latest Black Majesty album. There's some nice lively guitar work that reminds me of Kamelot at their best.

Hardworlder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:30 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Okay, yeah, the Traveler full-length definitely delivers. Not much to say other than that it's really fucking good, and I'll be listening to it a whole lot.

In other news, have you guys heard the new Idle Hands track? Holy fuck, is it good:

If the rest of this album is of this quality, they might end up my favorite modern band. No one else is doing anything really similar to what they've got going.

Yeah new Traveler is fantastic.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:54 pm 

Astral_Rider wrote:
Hi Guys. I'm looking for recommendations for bands like Sumerlands. I just discovered their debut album and I'm in love with it. Thanks!

Have you heard Eternal Champion? It features both guitarists from Sumerlands. More epic in style, instead of being influenced by 80's Ozzy like Sumerlands is, they're more influenced by Manilla Road. And HOLY FUCK is this album good. Best debut I've heard in the last five, maybe ten years. Oh and like some others mentioned, the new Traveler would be up your alley if you like Sumerlands. Maybe the first Hour of Thirteen as well?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 587, 588, 589, 590, 591, 592, 593 ... 624  Next