Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:27 am 

So much for my promise not to post news on these guys, but hell, this is reason for optimism. First, this comment from Jeff:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... uture.html

"Well, I play six-string as well. I play in Arch Enemy; Arch Enemy is a six-string band, and we will work on seven-string stuff in the future. This guitar is really awesome, it's a metal machine, and the neck is really special because it was hand-sanded to my specs in front of me.

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming- ... lack-earth

Second, news from Michael:

Black Earth, the band featuring original Arch Enemy guitarists Michael Amott and Christopher Amott, vocalist Johan Liiva, drummer Daniel Erlandsson and bassist Sharlee D'Angelo (who was preceded by Martin Bengtsson), have been touring Japan for a few years now performing material from the first three Arch Enemy records – Black Earth, Stigmata and Burning Bridges.

According to Michael Amott in an interview with Masa Ito's Rock TV, Black Earth is issuing a compilation of remastered tracks from those records alongside two new songs recorded with the very same lineup. Which is extremely exciting.

"Together with Trooper Entertainment, we've put together a compilation of our favorite tracks from the first, second and third album that featured these guys — with Johan and Chris and everything. And we've put together a compilation album of that '90s material. It's been remastered here in Japan. I actually attended the mastering session last week, and it sounds incredible. It really brought the old tracks… it gave them a new life. And then we actually recorded two new songs in Sweden. So we've been quite busy with that."

"It's quite complicated getting everybody together to do that. But we wrote these two new songs. I wrote one with Chris, and then I wrote one myself. They're called 'Burn On The Flame' and 'Life Infernal' — two brand new tracks that are kind of in the style of what we used to do, I think. And they turned out really amazing too. We actually went back to Fredrik Nordström's studio, Fredman, where we made the first three records. So we worked with the original producer. And he mixed it, and it sounds really powerful — very cool."

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:37 am 

Please please please just kick Alyssa out, and get back to heavier material and let Loomis write something god damn it. And get rid of Gossow as well of course

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:55 am 

There apparently was a new studio song called “Darkness Has Returned” on the live album Black Earth released in 2017. It’s so-so, not really the grand “return to form” that many might expect. I would say it’s not even that much more significantly better than what they’re doing now.

I’ll check out these two new songs when released, but my expectations are relatively low and the ship has pretty much sailed on this band for me.
Obliteration

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:21 am 

Yeah, my expectations aren't exactly sky-high for the new Black Earth material. I don't think it'll be outright terrible like some later AE is, granted, but if "Darkness Has Returned" is anything to by it won't really be of the caliber of those first three records. If Black Earth ever tours outside Japan I'll be there though...

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:31 am 

It's so painfully obvious that all they need to do for world domination is kick the girl out, hire a proper vocalist and let Jeff write as he pleases. I mean seriously.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:10 pm 

Those three albums were already remastered and sound just fine, and let's not forget several were also re-recorded for that Root of All Evil cd. Those new songs are just a bait to force longtime fans of the original line-up to pay for music they already own again. Sorry for sounding so jaded and cynical, but what's stopping them from releasing the new tracks as a single on their own - or even better, as bonus content on a live album documenting the Black Earth live shows?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:33 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Sorry for sounding so jaded and cynical, but what's stopping them from releasing the new tracks as a single on their own - or even better, as bonus content on a live album documenting the Black Earth live shows?

That's what they did with the first track. Agreed that best-ofs are shitty and would have preferred a second live album with these two songs on it, but it is what it is. Probably the label's decision as well - Japan generally still buys stuff on CD, and I don't think any of the labels there are putting out two-track CD singles these days unless it's for an anime/TV show. These songs were always going to land on a full-price CD of some kind, they just went with the shitty option.
The bigger question to me is... if you're gonna hit the studio and record one or two songs every time you tour, why not just... build up a catalog of songs and wait to record/release them until you have an EP or full-length's worth of material? Scattering your original material among rehashes of your established discography is a pretty silly approach overall and leads to stupid stuff like this.

Fearoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:22 am 

I really hope they let Jeff write music, if someone can bring new life into the band, it's him. But knowing Michael Amott, who knows...
The "hot girl growler" gimmick has gone long enough in my opinion, literally anyone would be an improvement over their current vocalist but obviously they wouldn't make nearly as much money.

That one live recording they did in Japan is the best they've sounded in decades IMO

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:25 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
It's so painfully obvious that all they need to do for world domination is kick the girl out, hire a proper vocalist and let Jeff write as he pleases. I mean seriously.

World domination? They are already constantly touring the world, making great money. They should quit that, hire an ugly growler, get day jobs and release albums that pleases a couple of basement dwelling, trve metal neck beards that won't buy the albums anyway since they sold out by doing what they rightly demanded?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm 

That's not a strawman, it's STRAWZILLA!!

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:40 pm 

Any particular reason you guys want Alyssa out of the band? I didn't realize she was so disliked.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:49 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
Any particular reason you guys want Alyssa out of the band? I didn't realize she was so disliked.

Are you Alyssa? Or Angela? If you're neither, then there's no way in hell you could've not realized she's universally hated.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:22 pm 

Fearoth wrote:
I really hope they let Jeff write music, if someone can bring new life into the band, it's him. But knowing Michael Amott, who knows...
The "hot girl growler" gimmick has gone long enough in my opinion, literally anyone would be an improvement over their current vocalist but obviously they wouldn't make nearly as much money.

[/youtube]

Which is why there will be no changes. And I don't blame them.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:28 pm 

Like if the vocals are the main problem. Their riffs could put a raging gorilla to sleep :(

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:39 pm 

Something like Black Earth wouldn't exist if catering to teenage metal newbies paid the bills by itself, long-time adult fans are the majority in melodeath just as much as every other subgenre. In fact I believe the amount of new teens coming into the metal scenes compared to the long-time fans and nostalgics is decreasing, I don't think metal has the same youth appeal it had a decade ago.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:52 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Something like Black Earth wouldn't exist if catering to teenage metal newbies paid the bills by itself, long-time adult fans are the majority in melodeath just as much as every other subgenre. In fact I believe the amount of new teens coming into the metal scenes compared to the long-time fans and nostalgics is decreasing, I don't think metal has the same youth appeal it had a decade ago.

Almost all my friends kids don't mind the odd heavy song but they are mostly into rap. After all if you are a teen and your dad loves Slayer and Pantera why get into that dadrock stuff?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:57 pm 

Yeah exactly. For me it's just anecdotal evidence, but I just don't see any young metal people in any numbers close to a decade or two ago. Everyone's more into instagram narcissism these days taking selfies looking like puppets, not much love for old subculture stuff.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:13 pm 

Now Michael Amott will have 1 extra string to bore us with.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:32 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
tahu157 wrote:

Are you Alyssa? Or Angela? If you're neither, then there's no way in hell you could've not realized she's universally hated.

Idk Arch Enemy always seemed like a pretty boring band so I never paid attention. The only real reading I've ever done on them was about the photographer drama.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:42 pm 

When the band was started it was the guy from fucking Carnage coming back to Sweden from co-inventing melodic death metal with Carcass and starting a new band with his more skilled little brother, so they used to have a lot of cred a long, long time ago.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:48 pm 

Great, now they'll be able to be boring, generic and unimaginative, but heavier with one more string on their guitars. Great great great...

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:38 am 

Opus wrote:
Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

World domination? They are already constantly touring the world, making great money. They should quit that, hire an ugly growler, get day jobs and release albums that pleases a couple of basement dwelling, trve metal neck beards that won't buy the albums anyway since they sold out by doing what they rightly demanded?

Precisely.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 pm 

Sorry if I missed this in another topic, but I didn't see anyone post about it

I don't think Liiva sounds so great here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:54 pm 

Hearing something like that after 20 years of no Liiva in this band made me super excited. Just the fact that more material exists with the old school line-up, this would have made my 15 year old self so happy.

As for the song itself, not that great. It sounds pretty pedestrian, and the drums are high in the mix. Clearly a product of the band's lackluster writing over the last +15 years. Listen to that and then hear something off the first 3 and it's like, where the hell did all that energy and zany riffing go?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Thu May 09, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:37 pm 

I think Liiva sounds fine. Overall though yeah not touching the classics. Glad they up’d the tempo a bit. It’s no Stigmata and I don’t think they’ll be able to nail that or Black Earth quality ever again.

Direnotes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:11 am 

While the music is great, and I don't mind Alyssa as well (I saw her live with the Agonist way back) - the lyrical quality is mostly shit. It sounds like all the songs are written by angry thirteen year olds - the lyrical quality of a FFDP song. Some of the songs are good, I'll admit, but when its ALL of them saying the same thing I'm like ugghhhhhhhhhhhh.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:35 am 

Not bad at all, actually. It's clearly much better than anything on the last AE album. It's a pretty pedestrian song, sure, but it just sounds much more pure than the image of their music with Alyssa. Johan sounds fine, too, so not sure what the complaints are about.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:01 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
OpsiusCato wrote:
tahu157 wrote:

Idk Arch Enemy always seemed like a pretty boring band so I never paid attention. The only real reading I've ever done on them was about the photographer drama.

I don't know about the other band members, but I've heard some really negative stuff about Alissa White-Gluz from people who've met her.

CannibalCorpse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:29 pm 

As long as Alyssa remains hot and vital, her body will bring most of the money. I mean, I kinda don't even want to say this because she has skills and many many other women in metal are a gift to their respective bands with their talents, but it's so painfully obvious what she's here for, since Amott can't write a decent song anymore. So before the fans realize how pedestrian his work has become, he's pointing his finger at Alyssa's tits to get the attention off his lacklustre fret-job.

Adder's Fork - These Mountains Cast Great Shadows - NEW!
Adder's Fork + Dea Artio/In Dornen/Winter's Breath - A Gathering of Four - Split - NEW!
Adder's Fork - Website
Reviewer for Antichrist Magazine

FirebathDan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:49 pm 

Eh. Not a terrible song, but definitely feels like a forced attempt to write in the old style.

Still better than the Alyssa albums and all of the Angela albums except Wages Of Sin (which is decent in its own right, but not as good as the Liiva albums).

You know you can't go back.
Obliteration

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:27 am 

Always felt like a dork for liking Stigmata so much. Glad to see I'm not the only one, haha.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:02 pm 

What's wrong with that? Stigmata is such a fun record.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:42 am 

I’ve always been okay with Arch Enemy. They’ve never blown me away enough to go make the effort to buy a record or a ticket to a show but I’ve always liked Alissa’s vocals and she’s always seemed cool in interviews and such. Her vocals in YouTube clips with Metal Allegiance are always really good too. I prefer her vocals to Angela’s. But they’re a melodic death metal band that seem to exist as a gateway band these days. As someone co-raising a six year old, that’s pretty helpful, having an accessible band with connections to bands like Carcass and a female front-woman who looks tough to make an impression.

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:26 am 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
What's wrong with that? Stigmata is such a fun record.

Yeah all three Liiva albums are as solid as any melodic death metal records ever made.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:59 am 

This band is one step above Babymetal.

Reply to topic