Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 am 

Specifically, can you come up with a set of 3-5 metal bands, from the following countries, that are true masters when it come s to musicianship, consistency, songwriting and structure? As in, bands that are up there with Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and their contemporaries or possibly even more capable when it comes to their proficiency in their given subgenre(s)? And that have cemented their place in metal history as among the absolute greats? I was wondering if it's possible for the following nations:

Norway
Finland
Sweden
Italy
France
Canada
Mexico
Brazil

And for US states:

New York
Texas
Florida
Georgia
New Jersey

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:03 pm 

Um, yes, for most of those. But before that happens, I am curious as to why you are looking for such a list. Also, why specifically those countries and states?

emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:20 pm 

Shadoeking wrote:
Um, yes, for most of those. But before that happens, I am curious as to why you are looking for such a list. Also, why specifically those countries and states?

A lot of it is that I have been trying to expand my horizons as much as follows outside the US and was wondering if the bands that fans would list from the non US countries would be ones similar to what I was thinking or if it would include bands I had never heard of before.

As for the US states, I looked at specific ones that I had figured would have thriving metal scenes but that for some reason I had a hard time finding great examples of. For Texas, it seems in theory there should be plenty of metal groundbreakers of some kind but it is challenging to think of any beyond the ubiquitous Pantera, and so I figured maybe there would be groundbreaking examples I haven't thought of. Ditto for New York and New Jersey; the biggest metal band I can think of from that region, Anthrax, is nowadays seen as second rate relative to the other big 3 of thrash. Florida and Georgia was more just an inquiry into what fans define as great music from those states; Florida of course had its massive death metal scene a couple decades ago so I wondered if that was still what fans think of when they think of Florida metal or if it's changed in any regard.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:25 pm 

Texas has Necrovore and New Jersey has Ripping Corpse. They fall short in terms of fame but make up for it in terms of breaking ground.

Most famous band from New York is probably Type O Negative followed by Cannibal Corpse.

Norway you shouldn't even have to ask, just go to the cinema and watch Home Alone-Kevin's brother.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:57 pm 

Norway: The entire second wave black metal scene. And while not as famous as groups like Metallica and Megadeth, they are certainly well-known in their own right.

Finland: Amorphis, Children of Bodom, Kalmah. Finland has a vibrant melodic death metal scene and a ton of folk metal bands as well.

Sweden: Two giant death metal scenes. The melodic (Gothenburg) style consisting of groups like Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, Soilwork and In Flames. The more trad/death sound of Entombed, Grave, Dismember and the like. They also had Dissection.

Italy: Italy is tougher. Death SS is a big one, as is Necrodeath. Neither band is particularly famous or regarded as an all-time great. So I cannot do Italy.

France: Gojira is from France and have been gaining quite a bit of recognition lately. France was the home of Les Legions Noires, an important black metal scene with Vlad Tepes, Mutiilation, Belketre, and others. Deathspell Omega is also from France. None of these are particularly famous, not on the level of the bands you were looking for, but they were influential.

Canada: I for one love the thrash and speed metal bands from the 1980's. Groups like Razor, Exciter, Anvil, Sacrifice and Slaughter. Voivod is still my absolute favorite. I think their thrash/speed metal scene is every bit as good as the Bay Area, though certainly not as famous.

Mexico: I can not name too many Mexican bands. There is Cenotaph and The Chasm though.

Brazil: Sepultura. They also had a few other highly-regarded underground bands in Sarcofago and Vulcano.

New York: Suffocation, Immolation, Anthrax.

Texas: Pantera is the most obvious one, famous and groundbreaking. Some other big ones that were either groundbreaking or famous were Absu and Rigor Mortis.

Florida: Huge death metal scene: Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Obituary

Georgia: Mastodon is probably the big one that most people know about. Baroness is also from Georgia.

New Jersey: Overkill.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:02 pm 

Finland and Italy are dominated by their respective grotesquely famous female-fronted symphonic metal exports, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil.

Sepultura has become like Black Sabbath in how it became a point of debate who's more famous - the band or their classic singer.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:12 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Finland and Italy are dominated by their respective grotesquely famous female-fronted symphonic metal exports, Nightwish and Lacuna Coil.

Forgot all about them. Possibly by choice.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:17 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Most famous band from New York is probably Type O Negative followed by Cannibal Corpse.

Quoting my own post to add Manowar and Life of Agony. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is from New York, too, according to the site.

Also just saw Danzig is from New Jersey, making it likely the most famous metal band from there.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:50 pm 

droneriot wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Quoting my own post to add Manowar and Life of Agony. Trans-Siberian Orchestra is from New York, too, according to the site.

Also just saw Danzig is from New Jersey, making it likely the most famous metal band from there.

Twisted Sister, Anthrax, Dio, Kiss?

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:51 pm 

Looks like Australia gets forgotten again.

Ah well.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 pm 

Italy - Bulldozer and Mortuary Drape are both from Italy. Lesser known but well respected in the underground metal scenes.

New York - Type O Negative and Life of Agony, you could go even more narrow and just list Brooklyn. Type O Negative, Life of Agony and Biohazard are from Brooklyn.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:23 pm 

Italy has some solid underground scenes, but the country is also sort of notorious for their cheesy "gothic" bands. The biggest name I can recommend is Mortuary Drape.

Space_alligator wrote:

Ah well.

Australia may not have any huge names (except maybe Portal), but there are definitely some important bands there, especially from their extreme metal scene. Looks like the OP only wants stuff from a few specific places anyway, as there are other important metal countries they left out (such as Germany and Poland). It sounds like they are a relatively new metal fan who already knows the big names from California and the UK and is trying to make their journey into the metal genre from there.

BloodUponTheStage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:47 pm 

Im really into Black Metal so that's going to sway my answers.

Norway: Anything by the bigger bands that came out of the Norwegian Black Metal scene.

Finland: Cosmic Church, Impaled Nazarene, Behereit

Sweden: Bathory, Dissection, the 20-30 bands Dan Swano has been in.

Italy: Bulldozer, Mortuary Drape, Black Hole

France: Mutiilation, Belketre, Deathspell Omega

Canada: Blasphemy, Revenge, Razor (look into that Canadian metal thread that got posted a little bit ago)

Mexico: this one stumps me. Im sure there's excellent metal out of Mexico, I just dont know it.

Brazil: Sarcofago, Vulcano, Sextrash, Holocausto

New York: Big Death Metal state, arguably just as important to DM as Florida. Suffocation, Mortician, Immolation, Cannibal Corpse started there etc etc also Profanatica started there.

Texas: Absu, Rigor Mortis, and I mean Pantera was from Texas if you're into that sort of thing.

Florida: countless Death Metal bands. Death, Morbid Angel, Atheist, Cynic

Georgia: Demoncy started around there. Im sure theres more but Im drawing a blank on this one too.

New Jersey: Another swing and a miss for me.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:20 pm 

Georgia : cauldron born

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:40 pm 

The Sword are from Texas (I know, a lot of people love to hate on them but, I like still 'em better than Pantera.)
The New Jersey Hades deserve a mention as being from there; they were a great band in their prime. Blood Feast (old school 80's thrash) were pretty good New Jersey metal too. New York has too many to mention. Cannibal Corpse,(if you go upstate from NYC,) and of course, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, etc from NYC itself.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:56 pm 

Wouldn't Rhapsody be one of the more notable bands out of Italy?

Also disappointed at the lack of recognition for Candlemass. We all know Sweden has produced a swath of great DM/BM, but Candlemass is probably their greatest ever export.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:57 pm 

Candlemass can't compete with the likes of In Flames or Hammerfall.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:11 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Pfft, Amaranthe are the true torchbearers of Swedish metal.

Side note: I just looked up "Trance Metal" on rateyourmusic and I'm rather horrified to find that Amaranthe aren't the only band in this "genre," and there are nine pages of albums in this style.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:49 pm 

droneriot wrote:

Not sure if joking...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 pm 

Rodman wrote:
Not sure if joking...

I'm talking fame, not quality.

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:18 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Georgia : cauldron born

This

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:21 am 

Seriously, some of these should be easy/obvious, but ok.

Norway - Communic, often described as a Norwegien Nevermore
Finland - Nightwish, Children of Bodom
Sweden - OMG come on man
Italy - Lacuna Coil
France - Gojira
Canada - Annihilator, Rush
Mexico - not sure
Brazil - Um, Sepultura?

And for US states:

New York - Anthrax, Nuclear Assault, Cannibal Corpse
Texas - Not sure
Florida - Hello, there is a whole scene out of Tampa
Georgia - Mastodon
New Jersey - Overkill, Misfits

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 am 

droneriot wrote:
Rodman wrote:
Not sure if joking...

Weird considering the OP never mentioned fame, only quality.

List threads are frowned upon, but I'll play along despite the almost baffling obviousness of most of the answers.

Norway: Wait... really? The most notorious European country for metal? Man if you've been into metal for more than a few days you should be able to rattle off most of the 2nd wave of BM in your sleep. Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Enslaved, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, etc

Sweden: okay nevermind if you can't think of 3-5 legendary metal bands from Sweden then I suggest you just hit frickin' google because god damn.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

emax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:03 am 

BastardHead wrote:
droneriot wrote:
Rodman wrote:
Not sure if joking...

Weird considering the OP never mentioned fame, only quality.

List threads are frowned upon, but I'll play along despite the almost baffling obviousness of most of the answers.

Norway: Wait... really? The most notorious European country for metal? Man if you've been into metal for more than a few days you should be able to rattle off most of the 2nd wave of BM in your sleep. Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Enslaved, Emperor, Gorgoroth, Satyricon, etc

Sweden: okay nevermind if you can't think of 3-5 legendary metal bands from Sweden then I suggest you just hit frickin' google because god damn.

I've known about the Second wave of black metal as well as the death and melodic death bands since the mid 2000s. It was more about going into a premier forum for purists of metal and seeing if that's what they consider to be the best each country has to give or if the answers were going to be some I haven;t thought of,and when it comes to Canada, some US states and Finland, there were numerous names mentioned I was not aware of. Plus, when it comes to some of the larger Scandinavian bands, I wasn't sure if metal die hards held them in the same really high regard as the more general public that has gotten into them. I wasn't sure if, for example, In Flames or Dark Tranquility are still seen as among the greats of their field. Ditto for extreme and/or melodic bands from other regions, Cryptopsy, Kalaklysm, Gorguts or the older ones, Annihilator, Razor, Voivod etc.

metalkeith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:04 pm 

As far as Texas, Watchtower's from Austin and Spastic Ink's from San Antonio. Helstar is from Houston. D.R.I. is from Houston. Power Trip's from Dallas (or Denton, can't remember) and Solitude Aeturnus is from Arlington. A lot of different genres, but most of these bands are fairly unique.

dfry
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:38 pm 

Just off the top of my head, without overthinking:

Norway: Ulver, Immortal, Darkthrone
Finland : Demilich, Beherit, Impaled Nazarene
Sweden: Marduk, Grave, Nihilist/Entombed
Italy: Paul Chain, Mortuary Drape....that's all I got
France: Deathspell Omega, Sortlige, Blut Aus Nord
Canada: Gorguts, Voivod, Blasphemy
Mexico: The Chasm...all I got
Brazil: Sarcofago, Sepultura, Angra, Krisiun (yeah, I dig em)

And for US states:

New York: Cannibal Corpse, Immolation
Texas: Rigor Mortis
Florida: Deicide, Morbid, Death
Georgia: Hallows Eve....?
New Jersey: Blood Feast, Overkill

harder than I thought!

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:06 pm 

For Mexico: Transmetal (no they aren't queers), they have a FUCKING HUGE fanbase and rightfully so: they've been together since 1987 and are quality metal. Had the honor of seeing them with Sadistic Intent, Disgorge(Mex), Terrorizer and a shitton of other acts a while back.

The Chasm and Disgorge/Thanatology if you want to fill up the list.

Space_alligator wrote:

Ah well.

Sadistik Exekution says, "FUKK V WHO FUKKING KARES"
Portal and Destroyer 666, and Impetuous Ritual.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:15 pm 

New Jersey has/had a pretty significant scene of semi-technical/eccentric death and grind bands: Ripping Corpse/Dim Mak, Revenant, Damonacy, Human Remains, Burnt by the Sun, Discordance Axis/Gridlink, Dripping... may have forgotten some.

Some relatively known bands from Arkansas are Pallbearer, Living Sacrifice, Rwake, and (ugh) Cemetery Rapist.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:23 pm 

There was an old-school death metal band called Mortuary from Mexico back in the early 90s who were fairly well known and influential.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:58 pm 

Seems a lot of you need to try listening to Shub Niggurath for your Mexican death metal fix

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:08 am 

For Italy i'll add Forgotten Tomb, they were pretty huge for the genre in the years between the debut and Negative Megalomania

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:21 am 

Instead of death metal for Florida, we could probably mention bands like Savatage and Nasty Savage, two bands who were both mentioned as massive influences on that initial death metal wave.

Perhaps.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:26 am 

New York has Liturgy in terms of groundbreaking music.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

I_Crash_and_Burn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:22 pm 

Italian bands that can compete with any other bands in the world are Adversam, Altar of perversion, Necromass, Bulldozer, Necrodeath, Enisum, along with the already mentioned Mortuary drape, Death Ss / Paul Chain, Rhapsody. Lacuna Coil are a pop/rock band that is probably more famous outside Italy rather than here.

From France I'd recommend Seth, Aorhlac, Belenos, Darkenhold, Ysengrin, the whole black legion movement because seen musically it has been an unique way to play extreme metal music. It's a love-it-or-leave-it music style but it's worth mentioning and givin' a listen to

Canada is Sepulchral records rooster in its totality!!!!
There is not an album relesed by this label which is not a classic. Altars of Grief are breaking ground too, and also a lot of music released by Tour-de-garde must be seriuosly considered

Spain (not included in the list but...) : Sentimen Beltza, Ostots, Primigenium, Altarage

Brazil: Spell forest, the south-american response to symphonic norwegian black metal, Lumnos (Summoning-influenced space black metal music,), Chakal, Dorsal Atlantica along with the aforementioned Sepultura and Sarcofago

Reply to topic