Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:12 pm 

Can I get some recs for blackened funeral doom?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Defuntos?

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:23 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Nortt, esp. Gudsforladt and Mournful Monuments 1998-2002
Abyssmal Sorrow - everything
Make a Change... Kill Yourself - s/t
Spüolus

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:55 am 

I'm really in a Paysage d'Hiver mood lately. Can people recommend me more wintery, spectral, obscure black metal?
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Spectrum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:00 am 

Hi! I am looking for black (or black-ish) metal that has an "epic" sound while also being brutal and heavy, with a reasonably clean production.

Examples include:

Limbonic Art - Ad Noctum - Dynasty of Death and later (the first two albums are too raw-produced and not heavy enough).
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse and Later (their earliest works are too raw-produced and not heavy enough).
Immortal - especially Damned and Black and Sons of Northern Darkness (good example of how to be epic without a lot of symphonic elements).
Anorexia Nervosa - so far I only have the album Redemption Process.
Der Weg einer Freiheit - so far I only have the album Stellar.
Bal-Sagoth - the first two albums (but please nothing too folky; when Bal-Sagoth is brought up people always recommend folk/viking metal for some reason).

Long songs are a plus.
Thrash-like riffs with lots of palm muting are a plus.
Symphonic elements are good, as long as they don't ruin the heaviness. (When Limbonic Art is brought up people tend to recommend bands like Sirius or Hexen. They are not heavy enough for this purpose.)

It doesn't have to be TRVV black metal. I am fine with something that incorporates other styles as well (e.g. late Emperor).

Borderline examples:

Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum (they are a bit too weird and progressive for me, but they do count as an example of what I am looking for).
Dimmu Borgir - Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia (I am hesitant to mention them lest I open the doors to all sorts of weirdness, but PEM is a damned good album).
Dark Funeral - Where Shadows Forever Reign (not very epic, but it is up there).

Can you suggest anything good (or something evil)? Thanks in advance! :D
... the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin, monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance... the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other Gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm really in a Paysage d'Hiver mood lately. Can people recommend me more wintery, spectral, obscure black metal?
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Moonblood
The Ruins Of Beverast (I'm assuming that you already know about this band)
Vlad Tepes/Belkètre - March to the Black Holocaust
Forest - As a Song in the Harvest of Grief/Песнью в жатве горя
Branikald - Kveldulv

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:25 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

The Nychts/Mortualia collab is very cool. A new split just came out, Haenesy/Moondweller, that I think is awesome. Of course there's Midnight Odyssey. Another new band that is densely atmospheric in the vein of Paysage (although different in sound) is Strigae. That's a 2-man project featuring the guy behind Gratzug (which doesn't sound anything like Paysage but you should check it out cuz it's possibly the most underrated thing in all of BM).

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:36 pm 

Spectrum wrote:
Hi! I am looking for black (or black-ish) metal that has an "epic" sound while also being brutal and heavy, with a reasonably clean production.

Examples include:

Limbonic Art - Ad Noctum - Dynasty of Death and later (the first two albums are too raw-produced and not heavy enough).
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse and Later (their earliest works are too raw-produced and not heavy enough).
Immortal - especially Damned and Black and Sons of Northern Darkness (good example of how to be epic without a lot of symphonic elements).
Bal-Sagoth - the first two albums (but please nothing too folky; when Bal-Sagoth is brought up people always recommend folk/viking metal for some reason).

I never listened to LA, AN or BS much but going more off of just Immortals later stuff I'd say Rimfrost, Drakhian (sadly only 1 album) Ulvegr (Call of Glacial emptiness and Arctogaia albums) Human Serpent, Non Est Deus, Insanity Cult, Nazghor, Obscure Devotion, Ars Veneficium. I'm sure I can come up with more but this is real quick off the top of my head, and things I've been listening to in the past couple years. Also probably the new Lutomysl album, can't recommend that shit enough.

edit: Also will try to think of more Paysage D'hiver stuff, but I wouldn't mind some new stuff like that myself. The new Windswept sounds really good, definitely a lot cleaner than PD'H, but I think kind of the same feeling.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Spectrum wrote:

Examples include:

I never listened to LA, AN or BS much but going more off of just Immortals later stuff I'd say Rimfrost, Drakhian (sadly only 1 album) Ulvegr (Call of Glacial emptiness and Arctogaia albums) Human Serpent, Non Est Deus, Insanity Cult, Nazghor, Obscure Devotion, Ars Veneficium. I'm sure I can come up with more but this is real quick off the top of my head, and things I've been listening to in the past couple years. Also probably the new Lutomysl album, can't recommend that shit enough.

edit: Also will try to think of more Paysage D'hiver stuff, but I wouldn't mind some new stuff like that myself. The new Windswept sounds really good, definitely a lot cleaner than PD'H, but I think kind of the same feeling.

Nordjevel is definitely another one to check out if you like those two Immortal albums. Like Sons of the Northern Darkness, they have the slower, epic songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qH4vW2WmI and the faster, heavier songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc12F7_DCAA.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:59 am 

^Yeah, thanks for reminding me that I still need to listen to their first album more. The track I heard from the new one was pretty good.
Edit: just listened to most of the first Nordjevel again, not sure how I didn't realize how awesome this is at first.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:59 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Do you know Evilfeast? Extremely wintry and spectral, maybe not so obscure though.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:11 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Check out Arkhtinn:

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ar ... 3540362789

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:39 pm 

I am aware of the bands mentioned but thanks anyway. Does not quite hit the mark, even though some are good. Arkhtinn is more like Darkspace, though.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:41 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm aware of Nordlicht.

Is, esp. When the Frost Has Brought the Silence and Songs from the Northernlands
Italian Ethere, everything from 2010
Vindkast
early All The Cold

Spectrum
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:25 am 

Xenophon wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:
Spectrum wrote:

Examples include:

Nordjevel is definitely another one to check out if you like those two Immortal albums. Like Sons of the Northern Darkness, they have the slower, epic songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qH4vW2WmI and the faster, heavier songs like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc12F7_DCAA.

Thanks a lot, guys! I am especially liking what I hear of Rimfrost and Drakhian. I haven't gone through all of them yet, but I will. :)
... the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin, monotonous whine of accursed flutes; to which detestable pounding and piping dance... the blind, voiceless, tenebrous, mindless Other Gods whose soul and messenger is the crawling chaos Nyarlathotep.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:43 am 

^glad you like them, those are probably the 2 that closest matched what you were looking for. I thought Rimfrost was supposed to have a new album by now, but hopefully soon. I think Lutomysl and Obscure Devotion are the other 2 that fit the "epic" category the best.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:23 pm 

Any recs for bands that sound like Emperor? Setherial's Nord, Vargrav, and Nightbringer are what I've found so far.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 am 

Hi!

I have a very specific request. I'm looking for underground black metal masterminds like Kumulonimbus of Wulkanaz, Jærtecken, Tomhet, ex-Felon Wind, Dughpa, Semilanceata, Wagner Ödegård and Swartadauþuz of Ars Hmu, Azelisassath, Demonomantic, Digerdöden, Gnipahålan, Musmahhu, Mystik, Summum, Trolldom, Urkaos, ex-Blood Soaked Horror, ex-Daudadagr, ex-Goatfuck, Balwezo Westijiz, Remigius, ex-Grav, ex-Helgedom, ex-Svartrit etc.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:16 am 

mike40k wrote:
Any recs for bands that sound like Emperor? Setherial's Nord, Vargrav, and Nightbringer are what I've found so far.

Try Sirius!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:06 pm 

mike40k wrote:

Nokturnal Mortum - To the Gates of Blasphemous Fire

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:21 pm 

mike40k wrote:

blood stained dusk are pure emperor worship.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:41 pm 

In 2016 I was floored by the immense black/doom of the new albums by Mizmor and Yith. However, since then I haven't been able to find much good stuff in the style except the latest Ruins of Beverast. Anyone know of any great recent black/doom albums?

Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 am 

New Wigrid album in the works after thirteen years! Teaser:

https://wigrid.bandcamp.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 pm 

Willensmacht wrote:

Coming in 2033! but seriously, this was always the 1 DSBM project that really did it for me. He must have taken a long break from making music, but from this track it sounds like not much has changed. Atmosphere sounds a little thicker and drums sound better/realer. I have been way to happy lately so this is good news!

Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:58 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Willensmacht wrote:

Coming in 2033! but seriously, this was always the 1 DSBM project that really did it for me. He must have taken a long break from making music, but from this track it sounds like not much has changed. Atmosphere sounds a little thicker and drums sound better/realer. I have been way to happy lately so this is good news!

Yeah, still remember when I first heard this. The wall of sound, the distant vocals. "Der Weg in ein anderes Dasein" is one of my favorite tracks to this day, especially the ending section.

Very curious where he'll go with it, over ten years later.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:26 am 

I never could get into Wigrid. Cover art looked great but the music..Meh. Mediocre.

dthstr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:36 am 

Hails.

I'm searching for black/death power trios with raw and straight forward records. Most of the power trios in their recordings uses studio techniques to get a fuller sound, like doubling the guitar tracks, adding too much guitar fx and other stuff. I'm searching for raw, real and old school recordings.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 pm 

Hello everyone. I'm currently on the look for black metal with a strong garage punk, surf rock or spaghetti western feel. The best example I can give is

Volahn - Aq Ab Al
Peste Noire - Ballade cuntre lo Anemi francor (especially the title track)

It's a very refreshing sound and I would love to hear more black metal done in this style. The catchier the better.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 am 

Can someone recommend me some atmospheric black metal in the vein of Mare Cognitum, Midnight Odyssey, etc. that uses a real drummer?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:37 am 

dthstr wrote:
Hails.

I'm searching for black/death power trios with raw and straight forward records. Most of the power trios in their recordings uses studio techniques to get a fuller sound, like doubling the guitar tracks, adding too much guitar fx and other stuff. I'm searching for raw, real and old school recordings.

Why a trio?

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:19 pm 

Could I get some help on how to get into Black Metal? Either recommendations or linking to another thread would be fine. Also, please don't recommend anything by Mayhem or Burzum.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 am 

Pellinore wrote:
Could I get some help on how to get into Black Metal? Either recommendations or linking to another thread would be fine. Also, please don't recommend anything by Mayhem or Burzum.

You want to get into black metal, yet you don't want Mayhem or Burzum recommendations? Answering that helps me recommend something or not. How does that exactly work? What music do you currently listen to?

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:03 pm 

Pellinore wrote:

Start with Emperor, Immortal, Darkthrone, Satyricon and Gorgoroth.

MathemagicalMisanthropist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:44 pm 

Pellinore wrote:

Try these for example.
Impaled Nazarene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn3dvR-XIaU
Sargeist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1KoEer-l4
Graveland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yETtFadTJQ
Plaga: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8lIl4bxu7Q
Nefandus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLTG_Mkb4Es
Mjölnir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Ul9un4VeA
Raate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTdFlgBqmXE
Goatmoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uJ20q-dbM0
They are a bit different, but each should be beginner friendly.

fatmexican1989
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:01 am 

Hello, looking for some help in french BM bands. Trying to find more bands in that scene. Looking for bands similar to the early albums of Blut Aus Nord.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:58 am 

with a band whose output is as diverse as BAN's, your request appears pretty vague, but here's myx two cents anyway. obviously, my answer centers around vindsval's other material. you ought to look into the eye and especially children of mäani's the veil of osiris if you're looking for a somewhat similar riffing style. I'll also just throw in both VLAD demos, BAN's precursor band, just so you know what kind of sound would later evolve into BAN.
if you're also looking for non-french BM in this vein, try the second full-length by akhlys.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:51 am 

I'm looking for super obscure, hypnotic black metal. Atmosphere, melancholy, emotion.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for super obscure, hypnotic black metal. Atmosphere, melancholy, emotion.

How's this? Funeral Rites from Japan.

Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Detric
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:18 pm 

Hello dear metal heads. You are my last hope. I have been searching for a long time for a specific sound within the black metal genre but it seems harder than I thought. I'm not an expert to be labelling bands and so on but I guess we can call it orthodox black metal. I'm looking for bands that know how to create an atmosphere before anything, by for example using church bells, mantras, speeches, movie dialogues, hymns, gregorian chants etc. to make their sound even more complete and frightening. I'm searching for bands that will genuinely scare the shit out of me when I listen to them without necessarily having my ears drowned in blast beats and non stop screaming. I will list some records below that managed to send shivers down my spine and hope that some of you experts can recommend something along that road. Thank you guys.

Deathspell Omega (Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice)
Funeral Mist (Salvation)
Ondskapt (Draco Sit Mihi Dux)
Sigrblot (Blood Religion Manifest)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 231  Next