Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
paciland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:58 am 

Hi,

I am trying to gather all the lyrics about the issue of heroin / opiate addiction, and I wonder if anyone can help me by naming pertinent bands or songs. To be precise, the stuff I am looking for is: lyrics about any kind of opiate addiction (mainly heroin, but in some territories other opiates are the same as common, for instance oxycodon) written by artists who are actually engaged into it, or have been. In other words, I would exclude generic portrayals of drug abuse, not focusing on heroin, or generic lyrics pro or antidrug use which are not inspired by personal experience.
In particular, I am interested about narcotic addiction as depicted by black metal musicians.
One classic name one can pick up is Nachtmystium, but others may also exist who are underground, or I simply do not know of.

The eventual purpose of this research is to write a scientific article about the features of narcotic addiction as described in extreme metal music, following up a previous one I published years ago about drug addiction in metal songs, in which I commented upon such lyrics as Savatages's Streets or Metallica's Master of Puppets.

Thanks to anyone who will contribute.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:04 am 

Tiamat - A Pocket Size Sun (LSD)
Tiamat - Lucy (LSD)

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:15 am 

Kreator's 'Extreme Aggressions' makes reference to cocaine (I think...).

Death's 'Living Monstrosity' is about babies being born addicted to drugs.

The lyrics of Alice In Chain's Dirt are preoccupied with heroin addiction.

paciland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:10 am 

Thans, but as I wrote I meant not generic drug use, but opiate narcotics, and not generic use, but addiction. Death's Living Monstrosity is about cocaine.
I'll look up Alice in Chains.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 am 

Harakiri for the Sky's Heroin Waltz is a good example. Motorhead's Stone Dead Forever is about heroin too. Supposedly, the lyrics pertain to one of Lemmy's ex girlfriends who became a user and died soon after of an overdose.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 am 

Not extreme metal, but Black Sabbath have a song about heroin called Hand of Doom. Might be interesting from a historical view.

Oh and Sirenia has Euphoria and Lithium and a Lover. They are about mental illness and substance abuse.

D4nzig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:11 am 

Motorhead's Dead Men Tell No Tales deals with the heroin addiction of the guy who produced Bomber as well as a couple of The Rolling Stones albums.

OP mentioned Savatage's Streets album having theme of heroin addiction,I would like to add Dungeons Are Calling also being about heroin.

Megadeth Poison Was the Cure's another heroin addiction song.

Danzig - Black Candy

Motley Crue's Kickstart My Heart isn't about heroin per se but directly inspired Nikki after he was saved from his overdose.

D4nzig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Harakiri for the Sky's Heroin Waltz is a good example. Motorhead's Stone Dead Forever is about heroin too. Supposedly, the lyrics pertain to one of Lemmy's ex girlfriends who became a user and died soon after of an overdose.

Stone Dead Forever is about greed not doing dope.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:32 am 

Svartidaudi's lyrical themes include drug use, according to this site. Lyrics can be a bit cryptic, but "Psychoactive Sacraments" may be about heroin (or clearly some injected drug) with lines like: "Illuminating blaze of addiction! Veins torn asunder to receive thy venom."

Cerekloth's song "Halo of Syringes" seems to be about heroin/opiates.

Another footnote: Pantera's Far Beyond Driven album has the line "I've done it all but tap the vein" on "Hard Lines, Sunken Cheeks." However, by the time the album came out, Phil had already started using heroin, according to Wikipedia.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:39 am 

My Dying Bride - Heroine Chic

Not necessarily about heroine, but the whole thing plays out like an addict looking for a fix.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:50 am 

Chase from Gatecreeeper is a recovering addict, but he doesn’t yet publish the lyrics to their songs. Maybe these interviews can be helpful though:
https://www.revolvermag.com/music/gatec ... eath-metal
http://clrvynt.com/gatecreeper-feature/
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:54 pm 

Saint Vitus is more known for songs about alcoholism, but “I Bleed Black” and “The Lost Feeling” contain lines that could be about addiction to other substances. There’s also the Korrozia Metalla song “героин”, pretty clear what that one’s about.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

paciland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:08 pm 

BTW, comments about Savatage and Metallica are on this magazine, volume 6 number 3 http://www.heroinaddictionrelatedclinic ... ?year=2004

Lifelover's mastermind died of undetermined cause, but he was close to the issue of drug-related states, with a taste for opioids, but I might be wrong

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:33 pm 

W.A.S.P.'s "Thunderhead" off their Headless Children album deals with heroin. It may be referencing Motley Crue's (specifically Nikki's) addiction at the time that was something I was told a long time ago and never bothered to check. Amazing song nonetheless.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:31 pm 

Napalm Death - Mind Snare from the Harmony Corruption album is about heroin addiction.

1349 - Chasing Dragons from their Beyond the Apocalypse album. Self explanatory.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:40 pm 

Nachtmystium's drug/psych era comes to mind (specifically Addicts and Doomsday Derelicts, but also the Assassins album to an extent...) and obviously opiates have a strong co-starring role in Blake Judd's story.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:26 pm 

He said he was specifically interested in extreme metal, guys.

So, Atrocity's entire Hallucinations album might fit the bill. I admit I haven't really attended to the lyrics, but it's supposed to be a concept-based album dealing with a specific person's struggles with addiction; heroin specifically (I think).
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:39 pm 

Just to add, Lemmy despised heroin. When he was young, pre-Motorhead, he was in love with a woman who developed a massive heroin habit and ODed, and he found her body. It devastated him and he would have nothing to do with junkies after that. The man did every other drug but not that.

Satantango
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:15 pm 

The first that came to my mind is Mourning Beloveth's A Disease For The Ages album. The whole album is about drug addiction and substance abuse, junkies really (not sure if specifically heroin but might be) and the lyrics describe people who are obviously very far-gone in their addiction. I'm not sure about the inspiration behind the lyrics or how much they are based on directly personal experiences but I wouldn't call them generic portrayals of addiction. The music has a really thick gritty, bleak and almost suffocating atmosphere I thought I'd never hear on a melodic death/doom album.

leaving
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:19 pm 

I'm sure something from Eyehategod would fit the bill here.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:40 pm 

Medicated nation by Nevermore fits the criteria. Good song that perfectly covers what you’re looking for

Satantango
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:17 am 

leaving wrote:

Yeah, for sure. Also Acid Bath and Iron Monkey.

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:09 am 

leaving wrote:

They have an entire album called Dopesick, so definitely these guys.

Also, while Dystopia are crust punk, they are metal enough to have a spot on the archives so I'll mention their track 'Leaning with Intent to Fall'. I get the feeling those guys knew a few people who died from ODs considering how passionately that song is delivered.

- Tim Minchin

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:33 am 

Two that jump to mind are:

Narcotic Wasteland - Narcotic Wasteland - Addicted to Junk
Drug Honkey - Cloak of Skies - The Oblivion of an Opiate Nod

And then Lord Mantis probably has a lot of lyrics alluding to heroin or opiate use since Charlie Fell (vocalist/bassist) struggled (is struggling) with it himself.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:12 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Saint Vitus is more known for songs about alcoholism, but “I Bleed Black” and “The Lost Feeling” contain lines that could be about addiction to other substances.

"Shooting Gallery" off Mournful Cries is explicitly about heroin use.

Argus Monitor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:56 pm 

Nattefrost from Carpathian Forest had a serious problem with opiates for several years. I saw an interview on YouTube a few months ago where he said that if he had to do it all over again, he would have chosen death over withdrawal. He’s still looking shaky today but hopefully he’ll stay straight. It’s possible that he wrote about it on the last Carpathian Forest full-length album since he was in the thick of it but I don’t know of any particular song.

Blackmoon from ex-Dark Funeral who’s dead now got addicted to OxyContin after a car accident where he hurt his back. The problem persisted up until the time of his death.

I’d have to think about the question more. Yes, there are opiates in extreme metal but I couldn’t say it’s bigger than other drugs. It’s usually something that’s kept quiet. I’ve used opiates before but jumped off when my tolerance began to grow. Most people can’t do that and it’s not something I recommend.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm 

That BSoD guy from Germany is a self professed junkie and a full on degenerate asshole (by every account) but he nonetheless somehow managed to record some interesting, and often times really really good, music over the years. Check out his bands Grasamkeit and Corneus- I don't know how much of that lyrically was dedicated specifically to the smack, but a lot of it was probably written under the influence of it.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:24 am 

Methademic by Black Sabbath although I guess meth isn't an opiate.

EDIT: Also, Downer by Wilting Away

Less certain about this one, but Mine All Mine by Alice N Thunderland seems to be about addiction. Doesn't specify a drug though.

BitterDawn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:48 am 

Secht, and as previously mentioned most stuff by Nattefrost. Shining. Wish I knew more off the top of my head..any good sounding bm, hah. Something about some heroine musicians..their brilliance shines.

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:12 pm 

Not extreme metal, but Megadeth's Poison was The Cure and Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime album (more specifically, The Needle Lies) contains references to an unspecified drug that is probably heroin

paciland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:33 am 

January 2023

Title:Artistic clues to the diagnosis of bipolar dual disorder in opioid addicts. The case of Nachtmystium

Authors:Pacini M., and Maremmani I.

Heroin Addiction and Related Clinical Problems, Published Ahead of Print, January 7, 2023

Available for download after free registration.
https://www.heroinaddictionrelatedclini ... ticles.php

Chickin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:38 am 

As mentioned earlier, shining! Wanted to add that the song Tillsammans är vi allt is about the Nicklas substance abuse, and its clearly about heroin if you see the music video, he also sings about "injecting evil".
Its in swedish tho

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:04 am 

This whole record is peppered with songs about addiction.

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/D ... wn/1078631

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:31 am 

paciland wrote:
January 2023

Title:Artistic clues to the diagnosis of bipolar dual disorder in opioid addicts. The case of Nachtmystium

Heroin Addiction and Related Clinical Problems, Published Ahead of Print, January 7, 2023

I can't be bothered to register, but if you got your work published, then congrats! The title looks very accurate in regards to Nachtmystium.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:24 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
paciland wrote:
January 2023

I can't be bothered to register, but if you got your work published, then congrats! The title looks very accurate in regards to Nachtmystium.

+1 - congrats on getting this finished! Must have taken a lot of research.

Another album that comes to mind for me is Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis - amongst other dark topics, the title itself does relate to heroin addiction.

paciland
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:08 pm 

If you send me your email, I can send you the pdf

FLIPPITYFLOOP wrote:
Raven_Augustus wrote:
paciland wrote:
January 2023

+1 - congrats on getting this finished! Must have taken a lot of research.

Another album that comes to mind for me is Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis - amongst other dark topics, the title itself does relate to heroin addiction.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:22 pm 

'Master of Puppets'. Although Metallica nowadays try to hide the song's meaning behind vague explanations...

Yes it is.

Eternal Unity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:58 pm 

paciland wrote:
I am trying to gather all the lyrics about the issue of heroin / opiate addiction, and I wonder if anyone can help me by naming pertinent bands or songs.

Not many know this, but Metallica's Master of Puppets is about heroin.
Rejoin my soul with thine

kovner1972
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:34 am 

Atrocity's entire Hallucinations album, as someone has already mentioned.
IHateGod's Take as Needed for pain I think.

Aldrahn333
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:03 am 

Atrophy's "Chemical Dependency" (obvious)

"Destruction is my goal
Care for no one at all
Death calls
I've killed before
And you won't be my last
That's for sure
Life of pain and I'm to blame
Broken families
Shattered dreams
All because of me
Can't you see?
Blinded by the white