Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:25 am 

What headphones are y'all rocking? I use Sennheiser HD598SE's but I want to get some new cans, preferably closed back, as I feel the Sennheisers don't have the bass strength my preferred Metal requires.

What about you? What are your headphones and how do you like them?

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:36 am 

Nice thread. I currently am using a set of Bose Over-ear corded headphones that I’ve had for around 4 or 5 years. I like the clarity of the sound, but similarly the bass isn’t much to rave about. I will be looking into a new set, Bluetooth operated, once I eventually upgrade my iPhone 6s for the sadly headphone jack-less newer models.

On a side note, I bought a really great Bluetooth speaker when I moved to Shanghai last summer. I am using the Marshall Kilburn. That thing is amazing, excellent sound. And I love being able to dial up or down the treble and bass.

This gets me thinking as I have seen someone on the subway wearing Marshall headphones. I wonder how those are.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:44 am 

I use a giant-ass pair of JVC HA-RX700's for listening at home. Currently have some cheap Sony foldable over-ear ones that I use for listening on the go. I've had a few different pairs that filled that role and it's hard to find ones that have any serious toughness to them. Maybe one day I'll invest in some really high quality, durable, foldable headphones.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Hellenic_Heros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:34 am 

I'm rocking some Sennheiser 4.40BT's. Pretty good headphones, VERY portable which works well for me and the wireless battery life is fantastic. I don't reckon the bass is too heavy on these. Overall good headphones though, use em' for gaming as well.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:49 am 

Marshall Major II's. No need to upgrade yet as they work fine. I've always had bad luck with stuff like Sennheiser so won't spend too many doneros on headphones ever again.

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:52 pm 

After a lifetime of mixed luck with earbuds I recently got a pair of Meze headphones, and I am never going back. Expensive, not very useful at all for travelling due to the size, but sound is king. Helps that I'm at the stage in my life where I've basically stopped going out at night, or if I do I always have my backpack with me to store them. No more cramming earbuds into my jacket pocket.

I didn't know the brand before - just went into a high-end audio shop and ended up getting the cheapest thing they had (which was still 4 times the price of any earbuds I'd bought before!) Got to try some which cost like 500 EUR but don't think my ears are good enough to recognise better sound once you reach that level.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm 

Hellenic_Heros wrote:
I'm rocking some Sennheiser 4.40BT's. Pretty good headphones, VERY portable which works well for me and the wireless battery life is fantastic. I don't reckon the bass is too heavy on these. Overall good headphones though, use em' for gaming as well.

:love:
Yes I have those too. Bought them for convenient portable listening (really nice for jogging as it's easy to wipe the sweat and keep them clean, too) and they are amazing, great sound, comfy, and the wireless battery life is pretty solid as you say.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:39 am 

Shure SRH 840. Good pair but not great. I used to own a pair of Stax 2020s and Sennheiser HD 600s. Now those are what I would call great headphones not just good like the Shure SRH 840s.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:02 pm 

Apple EarPods which were included with my iPhone SE.

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:28 am 

I use a pair of AKG K240s for all my production work and/or gaming. As for joggers/around the house bullshit I have a terrible $20 pair of Sony noise cancelers that I've had for 10 years. I like to live on both ends of the spectrum I guess lol

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13 am 

I used to own either the 240s or 240m. Good headphone I know from experience. Nothing wrong with either of those versions.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:51 am 

Pellinore wrote:
What headphones are y'all rocking? I use Sennheiser HD598SE's but I want to get some new cans, preferably closed back, as I feel the Sennheisers don't have the bass strength my preferred Metal requires.
What about you? What are your headphones and how do you like them?

Overear, corded and flat sounding.

KrigareTjovane wrote:
I use a pair of AKG K240s for all my production work and/or gaming. As for joggers/around the house bullshit I have a terrible $20 pair of Sony noise cancelers that I've had for 10 years. I like to live on both ends of the spectrum I guess lol

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:
I used to own either the 240s or 240m. Good headphone I know from experience. Nothing wrong with either of those versions.

AKG K92 here:
https://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com/2015/04/escuchar-musica-de-calidad-en-calidad.html

dragons_secrets
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:33 am 

I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD201's for a couple of years now as my main headphones. Those are pretty good for what they are and I've been pretty happy with them but would like to upgrade to a better model of Sennheiser eventually.
" -- Ozzy Osbourne - Breaking All The Rules

Discogs

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:28 pm 

Been using Grado SR-80s for ten years and I swear by them. A lot of midrange, meaning they accentuate the riffs better than anything else I’ve heard. A lot of bite and attack in their sound. They’re by far the best headphones I’ve ever used for metal.

In contrast, I bought a pair of Audio Technica M50X’s a few months ago and really don’t like the way they sound with metal. They’re supposed to have a flat soundstage but I’ve read online it’s actually scooped, meaning the lows and highs sound great but the riffs are pushed further to the back. They’d be a fine choice for other genres but not for metal.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:42 pm 

AKG Y50BT. Great pair of wireless headphones for anyone looking for quality at well under $200 (probably could get them on sale for under a hundred). Only downside is they seem a bit bass-heavy and they're on-ear and closed, which is great for working out but maybe not-so-great for casual listening. Absolutely fantastic sound though, bordering on studio-quality despite being closed and wireless-ready. Insane battery life (between 20-30 hours) and they even come with a cord allowing you to use the set while it's charging.

Good pair.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

RakdosWarlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:54 am 

Beats. I have to say they are not worth the money that they charge for them. My old cheapo sony heaphones had better bass and they cost me 20$ (RIP because I sat on them and they broke) The beats seem to crush my ears against my head, I think it is the metal construction of the 'sleek' frame that does it - there is no articulation to the ear cups and hardly any flex. I cannot wear them for long periods of time because they hurt.

The other annoying thing is they program the volume control on the cable to not work with non Apple products because they are owned by Apple and Apple is a scummy brand. I could go on for ages about how Apple is basically r/assholedesign but I won't waste your time ranting about how unfair Apple's marketing strategies are.

But on the upside they were a Christmas gift and are "not bad" for the price of free. I'll get something better soon but until that day I will curse Apple's name!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:04 pm 

im one of the many with an audio technica m50x and have to say than im very pleased with it.

SixGun
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:49 pm 

I have Sennheiser HD 419's. Probably owned them for around 2 or 3 years now and they've held up well. Closed back, decent bass and I paid around $50 new. The cord is super flimsy though, so you have to watch out.

lordzikon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:50 am 

*subbed to the thread* because i too i'm looking for a good pair of headphones that goes well with my Sony NWA45 DAP, currently i use the panasonic ergofit earbuds which sounds really well and has some sort of noise cancelling thingy.

Pellinore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am 

I also have some Sony WH-1000XM2's. For most of my having them, I only used them for car rides or when there was a lot of noise outside, but I've started using them more recently. They have better bass, but their mids aren't as nice (kind of grainy, at least compared to the 598's).

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am 

If anyone has any over the ear recommendations for workout headphones I'd love to hear them.

I'm always in the market for exercise headphones, but I HATE in the ear buds and all that bullshit.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:19 pm 

I had Senn 555s for years and liked them a lot. Now I use Beyerdynamic 990 DT Pros and they're also excellent, although a bit tight on my head. Good soundstage, good but not overpowering bass.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

AbdullahNA
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:05 am 

My number 1 concern was always bass, does it have enough bass? Does it sound deep enough? So instead of doing too much research on frequencies and such, I stumbled one day into a shop that had wired in-ear headphones called Sony Extra Bass...

It was a "Take my money, thank you very much!" moment haha

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:57 pm 

Man those super bassy headphones are fucking awful. I turn exactly the other way when I see audio stuff advertised as being bassy on purpose.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:00 pm 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
If anyone has any over the ear recommendations for workout headphones I'd love to hear them.

I'm always in the market for exercise headphones, but I HATE in the ear buds and all that bullshit.

Check out my post and Hellenic_Heros's: viewtopic.php?p=2835528#p2835528

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

MammothRider
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:45 am 

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598s for home use, and they're fantastic. The sound is crisp and clear, and they're comfortable as fuck (I can wear them for 8 hours and not feel them). The only thing I don't necessarily like about them is that they're open back, which causes a bit of sound bleed. But, I'm at home when using them so it doesn't matter; I wouldn't use them out in public.

At work I have a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s. They're pretty good for the price point (around $150), but not near as comfy as the Sennheisers. I'm hoping to replace these eventually with something that's more comfortable.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:24 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
CoconutBackwards wrote:

Check out my post and Hellenic_Heros's: viewtopic.php?p=2835528#p2835528

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on these. Hopefully, they'll go on sale. I feel like I've seen on sale at Amazon before.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:01 am 

Actually, I got headphones before and found them hugely uncomfortable. They crushed my head and made my whole face hot. So I use Samsung phone earbuds with the latex covers. They block at least as much sound as standard headphones and are much more comfy. Sound quality is surprisingly good too. Small disadvantage is that they fall out fairly quickly when I'm doing strenuous exercise, such as at 200 degrees doing sit-ups.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:41 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
Actually, I got headphones before and found them hugely uncomfortable. They crushed my head and made my whole face hot. So I use Samsung phone earbuds with the latex covers. They block at least as much sound as standard headphones and are much more comfy. Sound quality is surprisingly good too. Small disadvantage is that they fall out fairly quickly when I'm doing strenuous exercise, such as at 200 degrees doing sit-ups.

Yes, I'm quite active, as well, and for that reason never wanted to invest in a nice pair of earphones. I've never known a pair to last more than six months, so I don't want to buy a pair that cost upwards of $100. I would enjoy some better quality than what I get out of those earbuds, though.

Pessipath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:23 am 

Got some AKG K7XX I got off Massdrop a while back
So far the best headphones I've used, coupled it with an FX Audio amp/DAC

Probably going to get something from Fostex next

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:28 pm 

Hey folks, really sorry to necro this thread, but it appears that Sennheiser has discontinued the HD 598, which are the headphones I've been using (and loving) for the past several years, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a new pair of headphones. Sennheiser seems to have a very similar headphone available in the HD 599, which is my current front runner choice, but I'd also be curious to see if anyone has tried both and what their perceived differences might be.

Obey the dolphin!

CrazyCory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:23 am 

Rosenthorn wrote:
Hey folks, really sorry to necro this thread, but it appears that Sennheiser has discontinued the HD 598, which are the headphones I've been using (and loving) for the past several years, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations for a new pair of headphones. Sennheiser seems to have a very similar headphone available in the HD 599, which is my current front runner choice, but I'd also be curious to see if anyone has tried both and what their perceived differences might be.

They're cheap, but they're good; I like the Tascam TH-02. They're about $20 USD but they're absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend it enough. I have two pairs, each about a year old or so, and they're still in great shape.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:32 pm 

Rosenthorn wrote:

I just got the Sennheiser HD 599's over the last few days. Very comfy, very good sound quality. 10/10, cant complain.

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:16 am 

Awesome, thanks for the info. Placed an order for mine and should have them in the next few days!

Obey the dolphin!

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:05 am 

I don't know how I managed it but I found a cheap pair of ear buds that do not sound awful and I am talking very cheap like less then 8 dollars cheap.

motorsport
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:07 pm 

https://audiobudget.com/product/VJJB/N1

VJJB N1s. Best $60 ever spent on non-cannabis products. Much better than my $80 Sennheiser CX 3.00s

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:03 pm 

I'm currently using:

- Sennheiser HD598SE
- Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear, not on-ear)
- Audio-Technica ATH-M50X
- Grado SR60

AuditaTremendi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:23 pm 

I have four now. Over ear/open back. Once in a while i get the urge to buy a new one.
I switch between them every now and then.

Sennheiser HD800S
Focal Clear Pro (loved the red/black design)
Audeze EL-8
Beyerdynamic T90 jubilee

Have my eyes set on a closed back now. The Sony MDR-Z1R

saw the Meze headphones mentioned. That’s a fairly new manufacturer with good
looking designs and reviews. Unfortunately I have a small head so the way they are
build they won’t fit me nicely. Bummer.

Here’s a thread on the head fi forum (everything revolving around headphones/amps)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/headpho ... on.715478/

It’s about which headphones are best for metal. Some of mine are audiophile flagships
so shouldn’t be considered but I don’t care. As long as they are not too bright or ”trebble-ly” i’m good
with them. And if you don’t use a phono amp you can stick them in the stereo amp and play with the
bass and trebble knobs,switches,buttons. What is the right word?

~Guest 781461
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:33 pm 

Some ATH-M20x's. They were a gift, been keeping well for the last few years.
I have no complaints about them really, I'm just happy that the ear cups are wide enough to allow me to keep in my ear piercings and wear the headphones comfortably.

~Guest 220079
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:32 am 

So my better half insisted I needed to update my phone. The new phone is fine - Samsung Galaxy S21 - but to my chagrin it doesn't come with a headphone jack. I purchased an adapter to plug into but it's spotty. Since I use my phone to listen to music at work (all streaming sources are blocked as I'm behind a firewall) anyone got any recommendations for bluetooth headphone/buds?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next