Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59 pm 

Haven't seen anyone mention this. The boys have returned after two years of silence. The new album, called Ofidians Manifest, is supposed to come out on May 3rd, 2019 and will be released via Indie Recordings. Here you can read more about the backstory, and here are items to pre-order if anyone's interested.

Also, they've dropped a new song. I personally like it a lot, hopefully the rest of the album will rock like this too.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:42 pm 

I was about to make a thread about it! This is excellent news, I think they have improved with every album since Mare. They also seem to have shed all their folk influences, I only counted one "folky riff" on Profan (on the song Daimon, the fast part). They are turning into one of the best representatives of just pure hateful black metal!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:44 pm 

Hm, will check it out I guess.
No bad albums released so far really.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 pm 

I'd totally forgotten about this band. I actually bought one of their older releases a while ago ("Kvass") and it's lying around here somewhere- I remember really digging it so Id be interested in seeing what they've been up to more recently.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 pm 

Kampfar are one of my favourite bands to be sure, but there are definitely two "eras," which can be identified with the departure of longtime guitarist Thomas.

Early Kampfar remains some of the best folk/black metal in my view, made even more interesting with a total lack of folk instruments and/or keys.
Later Kampfar (Mare to present) is definitely still good, and as another poster said I think with their current lineup they have improved with each album, but to me they lost something very unique when Thomas left. I would urge everyone to check out or revisit their first 4 albums.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:34 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Kampfar are one of my favourite bands to be sure, but there are definitely two "eras," which can be identified with the departure of longtime guitarist Thomas.

Early Kampfar remains some of the best folk/black metal in my view, made even more interesting with a total lack of folk instruments and/or keys.
Later Kampfar (Mare to present) is definitely still good, and as another poster said I think with their current lineup they have improved with each album, but to me they lost something very unique when Thomas left. I would urge everyone to check out or revisit their first 4 albums.

I agree with you. The currect stuff is good but old albums have something unique. The blend between pure black metal and the folk influences that Thomas had made the songs something special. I Wwll check out the new stuff but I am afraid I will forget it very soon.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:06 am 

I really liked Profan, it's my favourite album from them, and I though that it was a shame that they had called it quits. Clearly it was just a temporary hiatus, which is great. Looking forward to this!

~Guest 189890
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:43 am 

pfk505 wrote:

I love the classical sound of Kampfar with Thomas and personally I am more attracted to it, but that does not mean I should underestimate the dark, aggressive, deep, multifaceted sound of Ole Hartvigsen.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:57 am 

What I like about early Kampfar, in particular the 1st album, is that they didn't use string instruments or flutes or whatever to portray folk music, it was more incorporated into the guitar playing. If I recall correctly, Thomas' background was not in metal at all. It reminded me a bit of Graveland's album A Thousand Swords at times with the guitar playing.

The only thing I can complain about "Mellom skogkledde aaser" is the cover art. The title of the album translates to "Between Forest-Covered Hills", but the cover art looks like some Arctic climate. Not very forest-covered :P

I also think the 2nd album, "Fra underverdenen", is a bit different from the other 4 first. It has the folk playing, but it's much less present, and some songs feel more "exotic" than usual. Especially the classic "Troll, død og trolldom", which has the blow-instrument (I don't know what it's called!) makes me imagine some strange tribal community deep in the rainforest or something. Not exactly Norse imagery, but it's still an amazing atmosphere.

~Guest 189890
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:27 am 

raumr wrote:
What I like about early Kampfar, in particular the 1st album, is that they didn't use string instruments or flutes or whatever to portray folk music, it was more incorporated into the guitar playing. If I recall correctly, Thomas' background was not in metal at all. It reminded me a bit of Graveland's album A Thousand Swords at times with the guitar playing.

The only thing I can complain about "Mellom skogkledde aaser" is the cover art. The title of the album translates to "Between Forest-Covered Hills", but the cover art looks like some Arctic climate. Not very forest-covered :P

I also think the 2nd album, "Fra underverdenen", is a bit different from the other 4 first. It has the folk playing, but it's much less present, and some songs feel more "exotic" than usual. Especially the classic "Troll, død og trolldom", which has the blow-instrument (I don't know what it's called!) makes me imagine some strange tribal community deep in the rainforest or something. Not exactly Norse imagery, but it's still an amazing atmosphere.

The instrument of the beginning of "Troll, død og trolldom" is known as didgeridoo...

I did not know the meaning of Mellom skogkledde aaser, I think that concept fits better on the Kampfar EP cover ...

Last edited by ~Guest 189890 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am 

i didn't even know they had split up! not for too long anyway
this has a very similar vibe to Profan
i bought profan hoping for something more similar to their earlier work. i was a bit disappointed, something is lost in their newer albums
they are still a good band
going from this track i'm not overly impressed but its hard to tell from one track of course

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:17 pm 

pfk505 wrote:

Early Kampfar remains some of the best folk/black metal in my view, made even more interesting with a total lack of folk instruments and/or keys.s.

Okay, this explains why I haven't been able to get into any of their later stuff. Thanks, hah. Also, the early albums use acoustic guitars which are definitely a folk instrument, much more than a keyboard.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:12 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
pfk505 wrote:

Early Kampfar remains some of the best folk/black metal in my view, made even more interesting with a total lack of folk instruments and/or keys.s.

Okay, this explains why I haven't been able to get into any of their later stuff. Thanks, hah. Also, the early albums use acoustic guitars which are definitely a folk instrument, much more than a keyboard.

Point taken and you're absolutely correct. I shouldn't say total lack either as other instruments do pop up once or twice. But by and large they were doing folk/black metal with a focus on the guitar melodies, rather than the wind instruments, strings, and other trappings most commonly associated with the genre. As someone else said upthread, their guitarist was a huge part of that sound and he gave them something unique.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:49 am 

Are they trying to out-Gorgoroth Gorgoroth? this stuff is as competent as predictable, i'll gladly stick with the Thomas works

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 am 

Guess i'm one of the few that prefers their new material? The old stuff is cool, but to me they have been improving with each album ever since "Mare" came out. I think Thomas leaving gave them a fresh new start and also a new sound. The new single sounds like something straight of "Profan" which in consider to be their best album so far. I look forward to the new album and seeing them on the road again soon. Glad to see things are going so well for this band, they certainly deserve it after all their hard work.

thelongwalk666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 am 

Kampfar is one of my favorite bands of all time, so I'm of course beyond exited. I also prefer the first 4 albums and the first EP. They really portray the unique Norwegian atmosphere. Believe me, I am Norwegian and they absolutely nail it. Its something mystical and fairytale like that reminds me of my early childhood.

Although the folk elements are gone they still have the song writing talent, so I'm pretty sure this new album will be my favorite this year.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm 

A new Kampfar album is immediately going to be in my top albums for the year. Very excited for this.

~Guest 189890
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 9:59 am 

Although I still prefer their material from the 90s, I really liked the album of Kampfar, especially the second half of the album, it sounds so epic and dark but with greater versatility and some small reminiscences of its classical era, great work of vocals by Dolk!

Zephirus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:17 am 

not really feeling this on first listen
they have brought nothing new to the table , it's like Profan was a double album

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:14 pm 

I agree that it's a spiritual sequel to Profan, but as I really liked that album I don't see that as a problem.

The best thing about this album is the vocals. Dolk gave the performance of his life here! Not only are his regular black metal vocals perfectly harsh and savage, he also uses the "clean" vocals to great effect, from those punk-like shouting vocals to more chanting and droning sections.

My only issue with the album is the musical side of things. It's very subdued compared to the vocals. The main songwriter, Ole, is the guitarist, so the riffs are all high quality black metal, but they are given very little space in the production. Not only that, but the songwriting and arrangements are very vocal dominated. For example, in Skamløs! the verses are played with these awesome black thrash riffs, but Dolk is screaming over every single second of it. I like it better when black metal is allowed to breathe, and not just be a support for the vocals. This is an issue I have with Cradle of Filth and early Nokturnal Mortum.

I probably sound more critical than I really am. This album is definitely a top 10 for 2019. Also, the song Eremitt was a big surprise for me. I won't spoil it, but if you have listened to it, you know what I'm talking about. I couldn't help but smile when I first listened to it.

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:22 pm 

I agree completely with the previous poster. I want to write a review for this album (I’m struggling to make myself sit down and actually get started) but the gist is that Dolk carries the album with his charisma, versatility, and choice of back-up vocalists. The instrumentals on the other hand feel a little meat-and-potatoes for black metal. Not phoned in, the songwriting is really good, but I feel they didn’t push themselves like Dolk is. They’re happy to have him front and center carrying the entertainment.

It’ll be on my year-end, but it’s not beating Vanum. I thought it might for a minute there but I’m pretty sure now it’s destined to probably fall to fourth of fifth.

Interestingly, I was listening to the new Lowest Creature album earlier and I feel like it has the opposite issue: the constantly weaving and curling riffing overshadows the vocalist pretty badly. For Lowest Creature, it’s the instrumentals really giving their all. To the point where the vocalist, who’s sort if in the middle of the mix, is kind of drowned out and overshadowed by how much the rest of the composition is just killing it.

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Reply to topic