Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:41 pm 

The lesson learned here is that the Ray Adler albums are actually really good, and the detractors are largely just salty that the Fates Warning of the 1980s is no longer a thing.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:56 pm 

I never had any thing against a new vocalist I just (mistakenly) assumed they went "full prog" and dropped the nasty riffing.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 am 

Nah, nothing after Perfect Symmetry really rules anymore. You're all delusional! :p

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:28 am 

I mean that is kind of what they did - the riffs are very orthodox prog type stuff and not USPM, very Rush, but they're just executed with a kind of precision and skill that makes it good.

I'd never given them a fair shake post-Arch because I had tried a few songs many years ago or something and it wasn't what I was in the mood for I guess. But the songs are very well done.

colin is lying about this - don't heed him.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:13 pm 

Alder era Fates is a very different band for the most part. I like a couple of those albums but it's "slick prog metal for dudes with pony tails" and "Hey, look I have a girlfriend now so I can write about my relationship problems" metal. I think of it as a better version of, say, Rage for Order. Not truly awe-inspiring but decent enough.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm 

Agreed with Empyreal about 'Theories of Flight'. It improves on 'Darkness in a Different Light' in every way, which itself was quite good.

'No Exit' and 'Parallels' remain my favorite Alder-era albums. For some reason, 'Perfect Symmetry' never fully clicked with me. It does have a few really good songs though, mainly 'Chasing Time' and 'Nothing Left to Say'. 'Inside Out' is also really good and doesn't deserve to be so neglected. 'A Pleasant Shade of Grey' was actually the first Fates album I liked; I already had 'Awaken the Guardian', but my teenage mind wasn't ready for that strange, strange album yet. 'FWX' is ok, but 'Disconnected' leaves me completely cold. It's their only album that I simply dislike. Anyway, I'm really curious how the next Arch/Matheos will turn out. I loved the first one, but I was hoping they'd go for a more old-school style. Oh well, fantastic album anyway.

P.S. My God, Dying Fetus has about the stupidest lyrics ever. Their elegant band name made me expect so much better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm 

Disconnected I really liked, though I've only played it once so far. It scratched an itch for somewhat mellow, contemplative, no-frills prog metal. Liked that it didn't feel like it had to pull in a bunch of crazy loopy shit for its long-winded tracks, instead focusing on singular cool ideas and developing them organically.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:07 pm 

On the cover of Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark, is that guy wearing a goat mask?

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:39 pm 

:lol: :lol: Guy paraglides around Australia, finds safe place to land, immediately gets ass kicked by kangaroo.
https://mashable.com/video/paraglider-a ... A6rUflygqB
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:43 pm 

The beginning of Enslaved- “Storm Son” makes an excellent morning alarm to wake up to. Especially if I take my time and let the horn get played and then the rather peaceful sounding guitars come in. I recommend it. Haha

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

I've always shied away from setting favorite songs as alarms, because I'm afraid of associating something I enjoy with "ahhh fuck, time to wake up and I'm tired as shit" feeling.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
I've always shied away from setting favorite songs as alarms, because I'm afraid of associating something I enjoy with "ahhh fuck, time to wake up and I'm tired as shit" feeling.

I've always felt the same way, that's why I came to use Master songs/albums from this century as alarms, it's really energetic, fast, in-your-face music but nowhere near "favourite songs" material. Basically gym music, but also works as alarm music.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:42 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
On the cover of Bathory's Under the Sign of the Black Mark, is that guy wearing a goat mask?

I thought it was a goat headed man.

- Tim Minchin

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:05 pm 

Just a mask ;)

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:57 pm 

Wow, your hair was wild back then, Derigin.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:10 am 

Oh shit, that was an actual live photoshoot? I thought that was just like one of those old claymation setups.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:06 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Yeah, I totally get that feeling. I am not a huge Enslaved Fan, and honestly there’s hardly any actual “music” in the alarm because “Storm Son” doesn’t really start to get going for quite a few seconds. The song is badass, but really those first few seconds are just serene, non-musical and always pleasant.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Wow, your hair was wild back then, Derigin.

Haha. My legs are bigger.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:09 pm 

ReignInBloodyGore wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Yeah, I totally get that feeling. I am not a huge Enslaved Fan, and honestly there’s hardly any actual “music” in the alarm because “Storm Son” doesn’t really start to get going for quite a few seconds. The song is badass, but really those first few seconds are just serene, non-musical and always pleasant.

I suppose "Entroper" from Ruun would work pretty well in that regard, though the lead-in there is quite a bit shorter.

Incidentally, that's a really underrated album. I never understood why people always overlook it in favor of Isa.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:01 pm 

Yeah, Ruun is awesome. It might be the most consistently good Enslaved album, as well. Can't say the same about Isa, although it has its moments too.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:17 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Welcome to 32 years ago, BedroomBMDude
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:18 pm 

Yeah Isa has the title track, Ascension (god I love those dusty synths at the beginning and end) and Secrets of the Flesh, but the rest doesn't do much for me.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:27 pm 

I always thought the opener Lunar Force was pretty good.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm 

Derigin wrote:
Haha. My legs are bigger.

And your loincloths are smaller.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

Welcome to 32 years ago, BedroomBMDude

Why are you bringing up old shit! :nono:

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am 

The opening sample of Rob Zombie's "Dragula" is a line where a guy says "superstition, fear, and jealousy.'"

Yesterday, I discovered what movie that was from. It's from a film called City of the Dead, which is not remotely what I expected, and I watched the Rifftrax version on Amazon. The line is spoken by Christopher Lee. The movie is about witches.

I actually forgot which song it was from, until Dragula came across my shiny new (refurbished) iPod this morning on the way to work.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:22 am 

I finally listened to Nightwish. I checked out Oceanborn after AMG covered it, and man... Some of the instrumental parts are okay, or even kinda cool but MY GOD those vocals are fucking terminally lame. There's this one part of I think its Sacrament of Wilderness (?) where she's like doing this goofy ass "ha ha ha ha" melody and it's just fucking embarrassing. It sounds like a parody of the car song scene in Step Brothers. God I am so happy that power metal has mostly moved on from this just horribly lame pseudo operatic shit.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I finally listened to Nightwish. I checked out Oceanborn after AMG covered it, and man... Some of the instrumental parts are okay, or even kinda cool but MY GOD those vocals are fucking terminally lame. There's this one part of I think its Sacrament of Wilderness (?) where she's like doing this goofy ass "ha ha ha ha" melody and it's just fucking embarrassing. It sounds like a parody of the car song scene in Step Brothers. God I am so happy that power metal has mostly moved on from this just horribly lame pseudo operatic shit.

This is pretty much exactly how it played out when I first heard them (it was Century Child for me). Instruments were mostly fine, but it was Tarja's vocals that brought everything to a screeching halt. Straight up cringe. Thank hell they got Floor.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:

You're so objectively wrong your post is an eyesore. Oceanborn fucking RULES DIVINE. The only way you could find Tarja's vocals lame in any of the three first albums is that you're either exclusively into growls or that you're just used to lesser/mediocre signing. Tarja is acutally a really fucking good singer (ESPECIALLY in those three first albums). When it comes to technique, few singers can match her in Metal. Your use of the prefix "pseudo" is the worst example I've seen as of late. She's a classically trained singer, so...

And to further prove my opening statement, the song you're complaining about? That's "Passion and the Opera", not "Sacrament of Wilderness".
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:11 pm 

So I've just been listening to Seventh son of a seventh son and The X Factor by Maiden almost continuously since Monday, and I really feel that they, along with Piece of Mind are definitely Iron Maidens three peaks. Not Number, not Powerslave, and certainly not Somewhere in Time, but those three.

Perhaps.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:29 pm 

I agree with Piece of Mind being Maiden’s best 80s album. X Factor though... the first seven songs totally slap, bordering on 95% if the last four tracks could disappear.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:23 pm 

I love Bruce Dickinson's vocals so I can listen to any songs that features him.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:36 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
You're so objectively wrong your post is an eyesore. Oceanborn fucking RULES DIVINE. The only way you could find Tarja's vocals lame in any of the three first albums is that you're either exclusively into growls or that you're just used to lesser/mediocre signing. Tarja is acutally a really fucking good singer (ESPECIALLY in those three first albums). When it comes to technique, few singers can match her in Metal. Your use of the prefix "pseudo" is the worst example I've seen as of late. She's a classically trained singer, so...

And to further prove my opening statement, the song you're complaining about? That's "Passion and the Opera", not "Sacrament of Wilderness".

Pssh, whatever, knowing song names is for nerds anyway!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:03 pm 

Concentration camps also had a really good technique, it doesn't mean that what they were doing was good. To call the shrieking terror "good" by any measure just makes anyone claiming that profess to be a masochist who enjoys torture. The abrasive noise of death coming from that woman goes far beyond what any Japanese harsh noise artist could ever accomplish. Completely unlistenable.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm 

Is anybody else tired of seeing metal fans on Facebook or really all over the place trying to justify metal by supposedly disproving these horrible misconceptions about metal. Saying stuff like " just cause I wear black , doesn't mean I'm satanic, and all that crap.

Saw another one of these posts on Facebook about another study linking death metal to happiness as opposed to violence, and I can only imagine some superficial douches going " hah, GOT EM, see enemies of metal, this music isn't really THAT BAD after all."

Basically, this need to show outsiders how friendly and nice everything in metal can be is fucking annoying, and seems contrary to the feeling of this whole thing, which is supposed to be not giving a shit what others think of it, it's not about trying to justify this weird hobby you have to people who are gonna think it's awful anyway

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:42 pm 

That was actually one of the top headlines on BBC.com yesterday, that's why it was posted. Sixth headline from the top, between Trump and Venezuela.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:49 pm 

Yeah, I just saw it on Facebook, and I knew some people were gonna use it as an excuse to jack themselves off about death metal, and get real defensive about the whole thing.

Its a toss up between this behavior, and comparing death metal to classical music that sometimes just make me fucking snicker to myself a little bit.

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 pm 

To me it was just another one of those "well, duh" type of studies, like one I remember from 2-3 years ago being like "Study shows that dogs recognise their owners' emotions" - what a revelation, research money well spent, working hard to prove what's already common knowledge.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:27 pm 

I just don't understand how these studies validate anyone, unless they are that insecure about liking a certain type of music that not everyone is comfortable with.

Perhaps.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm 

I think some people are still taking their decades to realise that Tipper Gore isn't a thing anymore, and still have some bizarre persecution complex about being a metalhead, as if every time world leaders meet the number one topic on their agenda is persecuting metalheads. Trump, Merkel, Putin and Xi meet, shake hands, and say they have their many differences but the one thing they agree on is that they must work hard together to ban Cannibal Corpse.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206 ... 332  Next