Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Pellinore
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 am
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:26 pm 
 

Could I get some recs for low end and bass heavy Death Metal? Also looking for some DM with deep growls. If something had both of the previously mentioned things, that'd be even better!
_________________
It is the color of a bleached skull, his flesh

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 900
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:24 pm 
 

If you haven't heard of 'em, do check out the album 'Iniquitous' by Rottrevore. One of the most obscenely heavy albums I've ever heard.

Top
 Profile  
leaving
Metal newbie

Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:27 pm
Posts: 50
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm 
 

Hoping someone can help me with some similar bass heavy blown out death metal/gore grind as close to Mortician as possible.

The best I've found is Incinerated's album Lobotomise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orP5DgIKCzw

Two other good example's are Bile's Camp Blood (though I wish it were mixed differently)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EepaDvU ... RaI_YyNOpF

and Heinous' The Basement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WiMWfXUhz4

oh and Jig-Ai - Katana Orgy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tovTxk1eSwY

Top
 Profile  
HoneyBadger
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm 
 

Im really enjoying The Chasms' latest album, are there more instrumental extreme metal albums to check out?

Top
 Profile  
overtenmy
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 232
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:49 pm 
 

Pellinore wrote:
Could I get some recs for low end and bass heavy Death Metal? Also looking for some DM with deep growls. If something had both of the previously mentioned things, that'd be even better!


I agree with the above mentioned Rottrevore. That is a great album!

I'd also recommend Undergang.

Spoiler: show
Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
Pellinore
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 am
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm 
 

overtenmy wrote:
Pellinore wrote:
Could I get some recs for low end and bass heavy Death Metal? Also looking for some DM with deep growls. If something had both of the previously mentioned things, that'd be even better!


I agree with the above mentioned Rottrevore. That is a great album!

I'd also recommend Undergang.


Do they have heavy low end, deep vocals, or both? Just curious.
_________________
It is the color of a bleached skull, his flesh

Top
 Profile  
Pellinore
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:58 am
Posts: 50
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 pm 
 

Also, when I said bass heavy, I meant the Bass Guitar, not the bassy frequencies (that is what I meant by "low-end heavy", though)
_________________
It is the color of a bleached skull, his flesh

Top
 Profile  
Verrine
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:31 pm
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:07 pm 
 

I'm looking for death metal with beautiful melodies. The perfect example of what I'm looking for is Dechristianize by Vital Remains, I think the solos on the title song are the most beautiful melodies in death metal. Other fitting albums are: the Santolla albums of Deicide (but Seal the Tomb Below from their latest album is a great example, too), Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance by Death (Trapped in a Corner and The Philosopher, too). I also liked the song Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica by Behemoth due to the beautiful melodic riffs but I think that's the only Behemoth song I like.

Almost what I'm looking for but not quite:
-Cause of Death by Obituary - Murphy's solos are amazing but overall half of the album is very forgettable and not 'catchy' enough
- Heartwork by Carcass - solid album and technically it fits the bill but I just don't like it that much

Assume I know only Death, Cannibal Corpse, Vital Remains, Atheist, Obituary. Please no Opeth, In Flames or CoB.

Top
 Profile  
EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Land of No Return
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:23 pm 
 

My all-time favorite death metal melody is Dismember's "Dreaming in Red."
_________________
MisanthropicEvil wrote:
This album reeled me in with it's eye-catching album cover but vomited a whole load of musical diarrhea in my face as soon as I started listening! I would not even use this album to wipe my butt.


Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

Top
 Profile  
colin040
Metal freak

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:00 pm
Posts: 5611
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:30 pm 
 

Septic Flesh's Mystic Places of Dawn and The Chasm's ...From the Lost Years are full of beautiful melodies.

Top
 Profile  
EzraBlumenfeld
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:50 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Land of No Return
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm 
 

Also Cynic's entire debut is full of melody.
_________________
MisanthropicEvil wrote:
This album reeled me in with it's eye-catching album cover but vomited a whole load of musical diarrhea in my face as soon as I started listening! I would not even use this album to wipe my butt.


Last.fm
Listen to my band's new album!

Top
 Profile  
Underworld666
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Posts: 8
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:05 pm 
 

mike_87 wrote:
Can anyone name me a load of brutal death metal bands?



Checkout Unique Leader records, Lots of brutal Death Metal

Bruce

Top
 Profile  
Verrine
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:31 pm
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:42 pm 
 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
Also Cynic's entire debut is full of melody.

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
My all-time favorite death metal melody is Dismember's "Dreaming in Red."

Good recommendations, thanks.

colin040 wrote:
Septic Flesh's Mystic Places of Dawn and The Chasm's ...From the Lost Years are full of beautiful melodies.

Didn't like these ones that much, the production feels too rough.

I also just discovered and greatly enjoyed Fleshgod Apocalypse, Necrophagist, Spheres by Pestilence and Where Owls Know My Name by Rivers of Nihil. Could I get some more recommendations like these bands/albums?

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1490
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:00 am 
 

^
your taste seems to be really similar to the one of my bandmates: they are crazy about Obscura's Cosmogenesis and Beyond Creation's The Aura, maybe you like them too :)

if you are interested to explore melodic death's meatier, riff-heavy side (as opposed to the common "iron maiden with growls" style) you can try Darkane's Rusted Angel and Layers of Lies, plenty of aggression and melody

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 8690
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am 
 

Verrine just listen to The Chasm.
_________________
Badass overload!! The Conan soundtracks were composed by a Klingon!! - Pop culture review channel

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 900
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:28 am 
 

droneriot just read before you post.

Verrine wrote:
I also just discovered and greatly enjoyed Fleshgod Apocalypse, Necrophagist, Spheres by Pestilence and Where Owls Know My Name by Rivers of Nihil. Could I get some more recommendations like these bands/albums?


Seems to me you'd probably enjoy technical melodic death metal with polished production values. You might like these

Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Neuraxis - The Thin Line Between
Mithras - Behind the Shadows Lie Madness
Decrepit Birth - Diminishing Between Worlds
Man Must Die - The Human Condition
Quo Vadis - Defiant Imagination

Top
 Profile  
droneriot
incelgender

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:17 pm
Posts: 8690
Location: Spahn Ranch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:46 pm 
 

I did indeed, retard, and gave the most appropriate answer, unlike you, who gets caught up in the namedrops more than the actual request. If you actually read the request yourself, you could give some more appropriate answers as well.
_________________
Badass overload!! The Conan soundtracks were composed by a Klingon!! - Pop culture review channel

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 900
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm 
 

I did read the actual request you fucking mong. The OP stated his dissatisfaction with The Chasm and provided impressions on bands he enjoyed instead, of which I made recommendations to accordingly. Stop being so dense.

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 485
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm 
 

The favorite death metal thread lead me to SARPANITUM. Can you recommend some other bands that are similar?

Top
 Profile  
blarg223
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:33 pm
Posts: 114
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 am 
 

Literally two posts above you, he said he didn't like The Chasm's sound because it was too rough hahaha but alright, keep getting mad at other people for "not reading"

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 900
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:12 pm 
 

Lol fuck that guy.

MaleficDevilry wrote:
The favorite death metal thread lead me to SARPANITUM. Can you recommend some other bands that are similar?


The Senseless
Mithras
Kronos

The former two shares ex-members of Sarpanitum, so there's a lot of similarities in the riffing style. Of the two, Mithras is the closest both sonically and conceptually. Start with them.

Kronos plays a very grandiose, and melodic style of technical brutal death metal. Like Sarpanitum, they also have a penchant for lyrics about ancient history.

I'll also throw in Cephalectomy but your mileage may vary on this one...

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 7983
Location: Lifeless shadows
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:29 pm 
 

This might get a little tangential, but if you fancy Kronos, also check out Beheaded. Especially the 2012 album.
_________________
"A glimpse of light is all that it takes to illuminate the darkness."
Guitarist/vocalist in Illusions Dead - death/black metal
Vocalist in Gloaming - vile, crawling death/doom metal

Top
 Profile  
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:57 am
Posts: 988
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:52 am 
 

I'm looking for death metal that's ridden with double bass, think 'Gateways to Annihilation'
_________________
The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

Top
 Profile  
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 203
Location: India
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 am 
 

For melodic yet authentic DM

Spawn of Possession
Nile
Rings of Saturn

Krisiun
Cruciamentum
Ritual Necromancy
Disma
Incantation
Immolation
Dead Congregation
Grave Miasma
Demilich
Drawn and Quartered
_________________
Medication blurs the last 5 percent

Last.fm page:

https://www.last.fm/user/se_123/library

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 485
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:03 pm 
 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Lol fuck that guy.

MaleficDevilry wrote:
The favorite death metal thread lead me to SARPANITUM. Can you recommend some other bands that are similar?


The Senseless
Mithras
Kronos

The former two shares ex-members of Sarpanitum, so there's a lot of similarities in the riffing style. Of the two, Mithras is the closest both sonically and conceptually. Start with them.

Kronos plays a very grandiose, and melodic style of technical brutal death metal. Like Sarpanitum, they also have a penchant for lyrics about ancient history.

I'll also throw in Cephalectomy but your mileage may vary on this one...


I'm liking The Senseless a lot. I didn't like Mithras years ago, maybe it's time to try again...

Top
 Profile  
Abdominal
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:34 am
Posts: 1
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:44 pm 
 

would anyone know why repulsion only has one album. the encyclopedia has only one listed, so I checked elsewhere and I couldn't find anything.

Top
 Profile  
Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:47 am
Posts: 772
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:31 am 
 

Abdominal wrote:
would anyone know why repulsion only has one album. the encyclopedia has only one listed, so I checked elsewhere and I couldn't find anything.


Because there is only one album

Top
 Profile  
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:23 am
Posts: 485
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:07 pm 
 

Misery Index? I love all their stuff, but "Traitors" is top tier. More interested in bands close to that sound.

Top
 Profile  
Required Fields
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm
Posts: 474
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm 
 

Verrine wrote:
I'm looking for death metal with beautiful melodies. The perfect example of what I'm looking for is Dechristianize by Vital Remains, I think the solos on the title song are the most beautiful melodies in death metal. Other fitting albums are: the Santolla albums of Deicide (but Seal the Tomb Below from their latest album is a great example, too), Symbolic and The Sound of Perseverance by Death (Trapped in a Corner and The Philosopher, too). I also liked the song Ecclesia Diabolica Catholica by Behemoth due to the beautiful melodic riffs but I think that's the only Behemoth song I like.

Almost what I'm looking for but not quite:
-Cause of Death by Obituary - Murphy's solos are amazing but overall half of the album is very forgettable and not 'catchy' enough
- Heartwork by Carcass - solid album and technically it fits the bill but I just don't like it that much

Assume I know only Death, Cannibal Corpse, Vital Remains, Atheist, Obituary. Please no Opeth, In Flames or CoB.


Dismember have a lot of very melodic songs.

"Override of the Overture" is very melodic by "standard" death metal standards.

Also, check out their song "Where No Ghost is Holy" off of their 2006 album The God That Never Was.
_________________
Required Fields on YouTube

Top
 Profile  
Thexhumed
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1103
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:35 pm 
 

Anything like Akercocke's "Renaissance in Extremis"?
_________________
I watch LotR on a monthly basis
__________
My wantlist / Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
whiterynosaur
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:49 pm
Posts: 5
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 pm 
 

I'm super picky, I like Cannibal Corpse's Tomb of the Mutilated & The Bleeding, Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh. Another album I stumbled upon that I liked was The Grotesquery's Tales of the Coffin Born.

A little help?
_________________
Car Audio Inc | Design, Fabrication & Installation

Top
 Profile  
overtenmy
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:09 pm
Posts: 232
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
 

whiterynosaur wrote:
I'm super picky, I like Cannibal Corpse's Tomb of the Mutilated & The Bleeding, Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh. Another album I stumbled upon that I liked was The Grotesquery's Tales of the Coffin Born.

A little help?

Have you heard of Baphomet?
Spoiler: show
Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 203
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:55 am 
 

Lately I find myself listening to Misery Index and Aborted. What are some other death grind bands worth looking into for me?

I would like to state that I am in fact a grindcore fan and love bands such as Terrorizer, Pig Destroyer, etc. so I wouldn't mind bands with a grindcore influence.
_________________
Medication blurs the last 5 percent

Last.fm page:

https://www.last.fm/user/se_123/library

Top
 Profile  
charles_ryder
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:19 am
Posts: 21
Location: Russia
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:05 am 
 

Please recommend me interesting Scandinavian Death metal, lie the early Opeth.
_________________
Om mani padme hum

Top
 Profile  
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:47 am
Posts: 5916
Location: The cavern's core
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:39 am 
 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Lately I find myself listening to Misery Index and Aborted. What are some other death grind bands worth looking into for me?

I would like to state that I am in fact a grindcore fan and love bands such as Terrorizer, Pig Destroyer, etc. so I wouldn't mind bands with a grindcore influence.


Are you familiar with Expulsion - Nightmare Future? Some truly face-shredding death/grind in my opinion. Fantastic shit.
_________________
Not for mercy does the evolution of I progress...

My collection

Top
 Profile  
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 203
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 am 
 

No I wasn't familiar with them. Not a bed rec in fact.
_________________
Medication blurs the last 5 percent

Last.fm page:

https://www.last.fm/user/se_123/library

Top
 Profile  
Rippingheadache
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm
Posts: 900
Location: Vietnam
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:13 am 
 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Lately I find myself listening to Misery Index and Aborted. What are some other death grind bands worth looking into for me?


I highly suggest checking out Leng Tch'e.

Marasmus and onward is when they started to incorporate more death metal influences to their grindcore template. They should strike a comfortable middle ground between Misery Index and Aborted.

Top
 Profile  
hmi
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:24 am
Posts: 363
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:31 am 
 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Lately I find myself listening to Misery Index and Aborted. What are some other death grind bands worth looking into for me?


Try Impaled:

Youtube: show


Youtube: show


or Cattle Decapitation:

Youtube: show

Top
 Profile  
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 203
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:17 pm 
 

Yeah impaled is a good one. Thanks for that one.

Cattle Decapitation I was already familiar with.
_________________
Medication blurs the last 5 percent

Last.fm page:

https://www.last.fm/user/se_123/library

Top
 Profile  
sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 am
Posts: 203
Location: India
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:30 pm 
 

Rippingheadache wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
Lately I find myself listening to Misery Index and Aborted. What are some other death grind bands worth looking into for me?


I highly suggest checking out Leng Tch'e.

Marasmus and onward is when they started to incorporate more death metal influences to their grindcore template. They should strike a comfortable middle ground between Misery Index and Aborted.


Cool. Checking them out right now.
_________________
Medication blurs the last 5 percent

Last.fm page:

https://www.last.fm/user/se_123/library

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group