Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:22 am 

droneriot wrote:
I think some people are still taking their decades to realise that Tipper Gore isn't a thing anymore, and still have some bizarre persecution complex about being a metalhead, as if every time world leaders meet the number one topic on their agenda is persecuting metalheads. Trump, Merkel, Putin and Xi meet, shake hands, and say they have their many differences but the one thing they agree on is that they must work hard together to ban Cannibal Corpse.

I mean, the Trump administration did bring back the mangled corpse of the "violent video games = school shootings" horse, sooo...

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:39 am 

I swear to God every time I see a new issue of Metal Hammer in the bookstore it's like a herpes lesion acts up in my brain. We were this close to being rid of them once and for all.

PvtNinjer wrote:
I finally listened to Nightwish. I checked out Oceanborn after AMG covered it, and man... Some of the instrumental parts are okay, or even kinda cool but MY GOD those vocals are fucking terminally lame. There's this one part of I think its Sacrament of Wilderness (?) where she's like doing this goofy ass "ha ha ha ha" melody and it's just fucking embarrassing. It sounds like a parody of the car song scene in Step Brothers. God I am so happy that power metal has mostly moved on from this just horribly lame pseudo operatic shit.

I vehemently disagree, but I understand. This is why Nightwish should have stuck writing fast songs, cos the vocals were managably ignorable on high octane power metal. I will say a big weakness of Tarja was her enunciation. I've listened and thrashed to Stargazers god knows how many times and I still can't identify the words without looking at the lyric sheet.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Last edited by TrooperEd on Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:56 am 

Thy Shrine wrote:
I just don't understand how these studies validate anyone, unless they are that insecure about liking a certain type of music that not everyone is comfortable with.

To be fair, metalheads, in my experience, put relatively enormous amounts of money and time into ensuring that they are signalling the correct things with their appearance, choices, habits and so forth. To me, that "not caring what other people think" is blatant bullshit, and the more people go on about it, the less I believe it.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am 

On the whole "not caring what other people think" thing, I'm not sure if it's been going for a while or not but suddenly there's a shitload of "VOCAL COACH REACTS TO DEVIN TOWNSEND VOCAL" or "HIP HOP FANS REACT TO RUST IN PEACE" kinda shit on youtube everywhere. Perhaps my youtube algorithym is just busted and that's why I'm seeing so much of it. Regardless, you can bet your ass that everyone watching them is a young metalhead seeking validation

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:26 pm 

caspian wrote:
On the whole "not caring what other people think" thing, I'm not sure if it's been going for a while or not but suddenly there's a shitload of "VOCAL COACH REACTS TO DEVIN TOWNSEND VOCAL" or "HIP HOP FANS REACT TO RUST IN PEACE" kinda shit on youtube everywhere. Perhaps my youtube algorithym is just busted and that's why I'm seeing so much of it. Regardless, you can bet your ass that everyone watching them is a young metalhead seeking validation

Low effort reaction channels have been a plague on YouTube for several years now. The genre was bound to spill into the metal space eventually. Anyone watching them certainly does care what other people think about metal (as opposed to "not giving a shit"), but I don't think that that means they are seeking validation necessarily. I can easily envision people being genuinely curious about how non-metal fans approach and digest a metal song on a first listen.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:37 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
The opening sample of Rob Zombie's "Dragula" is a line where a guy says "superstition, fear, and jealousy.'"

Yesterday, I discovered what movie that was from. It's from a film called City of the Dead, which is not remotely what I expected, and I watched the Rifftrax version on Amazon. The line is spoken by Christopher Lee. The movie is about witches.

I actually forgot which song it was from, until Dragula came across my shiny new (refurbished) iPod this morning on the way to work.

I really like that movie. I don't recall Zombie sampling it but I guess I'm not surprised. i know he sampled lee from To the Devil, a Daugher as well. "It is not heresy, and I will not repent." :)
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:59 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Concentration camps also had a really good technique, it doesn't mean that what they were doing was good. To call the shrieking terror "good" by any measure just makes anyone claiming that profess to be a masochist who enjoys torture. The abrasive noise of death coming from that woman goes far beyond what any Japanese harsh noise artist could ever accomplish. Completely unlistenable.

Are you trying to say that anyone's operatic singing in any capacity is terrible? Because that's what that concentration camp analogy is alluding to.

Anyway, I still haven't given Nightwish a fair chance yet, plan to eventually.

Thy Shrine wrote:
Basically, this need to show outsiders how friendly and nice everything in metal can be is fucking annoying, and seems contrary to the feeling of this whole thing, which is supposed to be not giving a shit what others think of it, it's not about trying to justify this weird hobby you have to people who are gonna think it's awful anyway

I don't know, to me metal's about kick ass guitars, instrumental and vocal prowess, and shit. In a perfect world good metal aside from a very few select bands / artists would sell out arenas throughout America, but it isn't meant to be. I understand the argument that the more mainstream it becomes the more it gets diluted and "pussified," but I'd actually prefer to have common musical interests with more people. I started a band in 2016 with the intent to be strictly doom metal, and excluding myself, there have been 9 members in and / or out of the band, and literally only one them even knew what doom metal was before me telling them.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:25 pm 

I think too many metalheads want other folks to think they don’t care what other folks think, which is not at all the same as genuinely not giving a fuck.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
I don't know, to me metal's about kick ass guitars, instrumental and vocal prowess, and shit. In a perfect world good metal aside from a very few select bands / artists would sell out arenas throughout America, but it isn't meant to be. I understand the argument that the more mainstream it becomes the more it gets diluted and "pussified," but I'd actually prefer to have common musical interests with more people. I started a band in 2016 with the intent to be strictly doom metal, and excluding myself, there have been 9 members in and / or out of the band, and literally only one them even knew what doom metal was before me telling them.

tahu157 wrote:
caspian wrote:
On the whole "not caring what other people think" thing, I'm not sure if it's been going for a while or not but suddenly there's a shitload of "VOCAL COACH REACTS TO DEVIN TOWNSEND VOCAL"

Nothing wrong with watching a vocal/instrument instructor dissect a song. To me that's what metal discourse should be 90% of the time.

Last edited by TrooperEd on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:28 pm 

Grumpy old metalheads are mostly well past caring what people think of them and their slovenly appearances.

So I don't know about Nightwish (I remember listening to them years ago) but I recently started checking out some stuff from popular-ish metal bands that I'd never heard before or else was only familiar with the early part of their discography. I had never heard a Machine Head album after The More Things Change, a Fear Factory album after obsolete, a Corrosion of Conformity album after Wiseblood, a Crowbar album after Broken Glass, or a Napalm Death album after Diatribes. It's been sort of interesting. I guess these are all bands I heard in my early metal listening days and was either not inspired enough to get an album, or else they released a stinker and I never botehred with them after that, and so never really discovered whether they had redeemed themselves or not. I used the wonderful internet to help me listen to these mostly dubious masterpieces. The machine Head stuff all went straight into the recycle folder; i don't even think I was able to make it through a single song. It's always that arse of a singer ruining every chance they have of getting a good riff or song going. Every album seems to have at least one song where he's yelling without any riff behind him at all and it sounds so goofy and bad.

Some of the Fear Factory stuff is not as bad as I was expecting, and Enemy of the Music Business is a pretty good post-90s Napalm Death album, if you're in the mood for that sort of thing. The big surprise was Corrosion of Conformity -- what the hell went on in that camp? They went from hardcore to southern rock and then -- kind of back to hardcore again? Their fans must be totally nonplussed.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:09 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
To be fair, metalheads, in my experience, put relatively enormous amounts of money and time into ensuring that they are signalling the correct things with their appearance, choices, habits and so forth.

Enormous amounts? Show me a band shirt that cost more than a Ralph Lauren(?) sweater, or an old ragged jean jacket that compares to a high end over coat.
Metalheads spend absolutely enormous amounts of money on albums. I don't see how that really signals anything, other than that you are making the right choices in life.

I understand the argument that the more mainstream it becomes the more it gets diluted and "pussified," but I'd actually prefer to have common musical interests with more people.

So more Five Finger Death Punch?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm 

Opus wrote:

I understand the argument that the more mainstream it becomes the more it gets diluted and "pussified," but I'd actually prefer to have common musical interests with more people.

So more Five Finger Death Punch?

So you know that part you quoted before I used the comma? Yeah. :-P

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:13 pm 

I don't doubt that metal has both a) soyboy validation-seekers and b) the Overkill EP party people. But consider the fact that maybe people watch these channels might not be looking for validation, but for something about their music that they never thought of before.

Henry Rollins is a kind of a retard, but will I pay attention to what he says about Black Sabbath and Thin Lizzy? Hells yes.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:40 pm 

Opus wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
To be fair, metalheads, in my experience, put relatively enormous amounts of money and time into ensuring that they are signalling the correct things with their appearance, choices, habits and so forth.

Enormous amounts? Show me a band shirt that cost more than a Ralph Lauren(?) sweater, or an old ragged jean jacket that compares to a high end over coat.
Metalheads spend absolutely enormous amounts of money on albums. I don't see how that really signals anything, other than that you are making the right choices in life.

I think Ilwhyan was sort of missing my point. It seems he is talking about metalheads dressing the part to try to appease other metalheads. I dont have a problem with that per se, I have long hair, I wear Pestilence, and Obituary shirts in public, etc. I'm talking about insecure metalheads trying to bring it to non metalheads attention that "not all metalheads are satanic, this music doesn't cause violence, etc" it seems to be more about trying to prove something to the outside groups, whereas I dont see the point in trying to prove these things. To me, people can hate me for liking metal, or they can think it's terrible, either way, I dont really care, and I dont think any serious metalhead should care. I love that people feel metal is this great thing, and I definitely agree, but it's also not for everyone, and people saying things like" metalheads are misunderstood, we're actually nice, and not violent" doesn't really change anyone's mind.

Perhaps.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm 

Today in "unexpected concept album themes:" Fonts

Actually really good shit if you're into IDM/techno/etc.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 pm 

I dunno, I don't care for those reaction channels all that much (I used to watch Lost in Vegas but the appeal wore off pretty quickly) but honestly I just like hearing perspectives from people who haven't been surrounded with this music their whole lives like I have. It's cool to hear analysis beyond a polite "eh it's not for me". Back when I was dating, whenever a girl would ask me about the music I like, I'd always send a link to White Masque by Running Wild, because it's one of my favorite songs, it's not extreme, very catchy, and just a really non-offensive metal song for the untrained ear. One thing I thought was cool was that every last one of them commented on how "the guitar playing is AMAZING", which was so weird to me because it's such an average guitar song, but if you usually listen to Taylor Swift it's probably mindblowing. Yeah it's not deep analysis or anything but it's a perspective I don't hear from often.

And most metalloids absolutely care what people think about them, I certainly did when I was younger. Projecting that image seems so cool to us and so alienating to most people that getting a little bit of validation that we're "good people" or whatever is nice for younger people I think. I don't care so much now, I cut my hair ten years ago and you won't catch me dead in a patched vest or something, but I still wear band shirts more often than not because that's just the style I'm comfortable with.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
soyboy validation-seekers

This shit is so cringey.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:27 am 

caspian wrote:

Next video: ''DEVIN TOWNSEND REACTS TO VOCAL COACH''

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:29 am 

Hahaha, yeah, somehow the “Vocal Coach Responds to Bruce Dickinson” video keeps appearing on my youtube suggestions. Probably because of my recent youtube video trend of watching Loudwire’s Wikipedia Fact or Fiction videos. The first time they did fact or fiction with Phil Anselmo was so hilarious, especially reading the youtube comments under the video.
https://youtu.be/cr0Q7fPI98o
The part where Phil starts cracking the interviewer’s fingers kills me. Hahaha

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:53 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:
The opening sample of Rob Zombie's "Dragula" is a line where a guy says "superstition, fear, and jealousy.'"

Yesterday, I discovered what movie that was from. It's from a film called City of the Dead, which is not remotely what I expected, and I watched the Rifftrax version on Amazon. The line is spoken by Christopher Lee. The movie is about witches.

I actually forgot which song it was from, until Dragula came across my shiny new (refurbished) iPod this morning on the way to work.

I really like that movie. I don't recall Zombie sampling it but I guess I'm not surprised. i know he sampled lee from To the Devil, a Daugher as well. "It is not heresy, and I will not repent." :)

Stories about old tyme witchcraft and the like just don't appeal much to me. Bits of the Gothic horror that was once a staple of Christopher Lee's career before he worked his ass off to escape it. But, I can see where it would have it's fanbase. And I'm always amused where audio samples come from in music.

Like Overkill featuring a conversation between Michele Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken from Batman Returns. Or Divine Empire basically making a track that was mostly samples from Needful Things.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 am 

droneriot wrote:
Concentration camps also had a really good technique, it doesn't mean that what they were doing was good. To call the shrieking terror "good" by any measure just makes anyone claiming that profess to be a masochist who enjoys torture. The abrasive noise of death coming from that woman goes far beyond what any Japanese harsh noise artist could ever accomplish. Completely unlistenable.

:lol: interesting perspective, for sure

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
TrooperEd wrote:
soyboy validation-seekers

This shit is so cringey.

doing the soy face while saying that babymetal should be on the radio instead of justin beiber

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:54 am 

Soyboy is a silly term, but there's plenty of other silly terms I've stumbled upon online: alpha males, beta males, gamma (ray?) males, omega (3/6?) males...stigma males. Beta male orbiters...manosphere ( :lol: !) and so on.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:57 am 

colin040 wrote:
Soyboy is a silly term, but there's plenty of other silly terms I've stumbled upon online: alpha males, beta males, gamma (ray?) males, omega (3/6?) males...stigma males. Beta male orbiters...manosphere ( :lol: !) and so on.

Sounds like something an NPC would say. :P

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:59 am 

colin040 wrote:

Anybody using those terms seriously is someone you can comfortably write off as never having to give a fuck about what they say.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:23 pm 

I agree. Sadly plenty of people buy into this stuff - and people know how to take advantage of these insecure folks.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm 

On a less stupid note, I just bought my ticket for Midgardsblot! It'll be my first time overseas.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm 

I bought a ticket for Pestilence today and I'll see them next week playing Consuming Impulse in its entirely. :metal:

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:47 pm 

colin040 wrote:
I bought a ticket for Pestilence today and I'll see them next week playing Consuming Impulse in its entirely. :metal:

With the kindly Martin van Drunen on vocals, or the dreamy Patrick "Metal Music Sucks!" Mameli instead?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pm 

With Patrick Mameli on vox. Obviously Van Drunen would have been the real deal but it seems like both aren't interested in playing together anymore.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:52 pm 

colin040 wrote:
With Patrick Mameli on vox. Obviously Van Drunen would have been the real deal but it seems like both aren't interested in playing together anymore.

Yeah I figured as much. Let us know what the gig was like if you can, the footage I've seen of this "new" Pestlience playing live looked pretty bad, but Consuming Impulse would be cool to see live I think.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 pm 

I was going to see that tour, but I spent my money on tickets to see a festival with Asphyx on the bill instead. I think time will show this to be a wise decision.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:13 pm 

colin040 wrote:

It is a silly term, that's why I used it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:57 pm 

My friend, who is not into Pestilence by any stretch of imagination, was pretty captivated by their Consuming Impulse performance. It's saying a lot - they really would have to have been great live. I'd go see them given the chance, and I don't particularly care for their records either.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

Stories about old tyme witchcraft and the like just don't appeal much to me. Bits of the Gothic horror that was once a staple of Christopher Lee's career before he worked his ass off to escape it. But, I can see where it would have it's fanbase. And I'm always amused where audio samples come from in music.

Like Overkill featuring a conversation between Michele Pfeiffer and Christopher Walken from Batman Returns. Or Divine Empire basically making a track that was mostly samples from Needful Things.

I know he was bitter about typecasting and that caused him to make some pretty strange decisions later on, but it's the gothic horror and it's not-quite-gothic offspring like The Wicker Man that i think he'll always be most fondly remembered for. And with good reason too; most of those movies are ]at least really good and watchable, which is more than I can say for some of the other stuff. :P

"Soy boy"..the first time i saw someone use that, I admit I laughed, but then I realised that, as with a lot of these things, it didn't actually originate with the person in question, and the lack of originality in copying barely comprehended insults off some internet meme is depressing. I do sometimes wonder where the hell these things start. DO people who use them on a regular basis even know or care about such things? NPC, indeed.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 am 

I've seen Pestilence a couple of times since the first reformation and I have to say the current version is the best I've seen so far.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:47 am 

Empyreal wrote:
Anybody using those terms seriously is someone you can comfortably write off as never having to give a fuck about what they say.

Yup. There are a number of terms that are immediate red flags for me where if anyone is using them in earnest it's an immediate sign to disengage.

I dunno, I still kinda like those reaction channels, or at least the good ones. There are a few that are worthless shit but some are honestly really refreshing and have given me more than a few new perspectives on music I already like. I agree that much of the audience is probably nerds seeking validation (probably can't honestly discount myself there), but I don't think that necessarily impacts the resultant videos all that much. On another note, those channels did actually turn me on to Devin Townsend, someone I'd written off after being basically totally disinterested in Strapping Young Lad (from what I heard of them). I didn't expect to like certain other parts of his discography as much as I apparently do.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:10 pm 

I got into DT kind of sideways through Casualties of Cool, which is an absolutely incredible album that I'd highly recommend. Might actually be my favorite project of his.

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:44 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
I've seen Pestilence a couple of times since the first reformation and I have to say the current version is the best I've seen so far.

That's good to hear considering I'll be seeing them at MDF in May.

Perhaps.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
colin040 wrote:

It is a silly term, that's why I used it.

exactly, the whole concept of "soyboy" is so hilariously bird brained and ill informed, and the obsession with soy face (which was an admittedly hilarious observation of selfie trends among millenials) so bizarre that me and my buddies started using the term and doing the soy face jokingly.

edit: omg forgot about casualties of cool! That album was such a great listen. I love the song Moon, especially.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:17 pm 

this is a soyboy, and a cat recognizing a weak target
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXWqSZ5ILkc

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207 ... 332  Next