Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
eaters_of_the_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 pm 

So what is Jeff Wilson's part in all this exactly? Glancing through this and his name keeps popping up. He's in a couple of bands i like such as chrome waves. Should i be wary of ordering anything from him or his disorder recordings?

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:08 am 

He basically printed some record sleeves and other merch for AMM including a more or less exact replica (with an additional white border) of the Sombre Records vinyl release of 'Distant In Solitary Night', making it a very, very obvious bootleg. There's no way he could not have known this shit wasn't legit, I mean his screenprinted replica literally features the Sombre Records logo. When this was all pointed out to him, he conveniently chose to ignore warranted inquiries as to the level of his involvement and complicity and decided to throw temper tantrums instead (like telling people to fuck off and / or blocking people before deleting incriminating posts). You can still see images of his Facebook page where he proudly presents his record sleeves if you visit the Discogs image history for that boot:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1212372 ... ges/update

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:53 pm 

That's the real kicker to me on Jeff... He claims he was duped by Blake BUT how do you make the Sombre bootleg covers and have "no idea" what they were going to be used for? And, if you really are that stupid, when Blake starts selling them as Sombre deadstock, wouldn't you say something then rather than wait until you get busted?

Jeff Wilson is not to be trusted as far as I'm concerned. Funny how so many people in that circle turn out to be shady like their old pal Blake, right? :lol:

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:01 pm 

I don't trust any of them. Some random guy got pissed about it, but NWN really strikes me as a modern day Metal Enterprises these days with the artificial by the numbers "war metal 101" projects put out by the dozen. No different to Extreme Napalm Terror or Thrash Queen Mark II in so many ways. That's why the involvement with Blake Judd just doesn't seem so much like Yosuke was totally unaware and totally shocked that Blake would do anything illegal again but rather as a way to get in on that. But oh well, let some newbie nobody have some angry fit about this post again.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:59 pm 

eaters_of_the_dead wrote:
So what is Jeff Wilson's part in all this exactly? Glancing through this and his name keeps popping up. He's in a couple of bands i like such as chrome waves. Should i be wary of ordering anything from him or his disorder recordings?

Both me and my housemate ordered a copy of the Chrome Waves tape when it first came out. Mine arrived after 2 months but my housemates didn't. He emailed to ask if it had been sent and received a sternly worded message explaining Wolvhammer had been on tour and not to order in future if you weren't willing to be patient. My housemate explained that two of us had ordered the tape with only a few days ago, after another month my housemate received another message saying his tape had been sent but it never arrived.

eaters_of_the_dead
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 am 

syx wrote:

Both me and my housemate ordered a copy of the Chrome Waves tape when it first came out. Mine arrived after 2 months but my housemates didn't. He emailed to ask if it had been sent and received a sternly worded message explaining Wolvhammer had been on tour and not to order in future if you weren't willing to be patient. My housemate explained that two of us had ordered the tape with only a few days ago, after another month my housemate received another message saying his tape had been sent but it never arrived.

That's a shame to hear. Honestly Jeff has been in several bands I like. I'd love to pre-order the new Chrome Waves and a few other things from his label but sounds like I would either not get them or have to wait months.

I can't imagine why he'd add a white border to a cover when it would be such an obvious sign it was a reprint. Maybe he was told it was a legit reissue, and when he found out it wasn't he was scrambling to find a way to move them after sinking money into making them?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:50 am 

Sonic_Titan wrote:
He basically printed some record sleeves and other merch for AMM including a more or less exact replica (with an additional white border) of the Sombre Records vinyl release of 'Distant In Solitary Night', making it a very, very obvious bootleg. There's no way he could not have known this shit wasn't legit, I mean his screenprinted replica literally features the Sombre Records logo. When this was all pointed out to him, he conveniently chose to ignore warranted inquiries as to the level of his involvement and complicity and decided to throw temper tantrums instead (like telling people to fuck off and / or blocking people before deleting incriminating posts). You can still see images of his Facebook page where he proudly presents his record sleeves if you visit the Discogs image history for that boot:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1212372 ... ges/update

Yeah. Some fair melts from this cocksucker. Think teenage angst level stuff.

nuklearkrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:47 am 

droneriot wrote:
I don't trust any of them.

^ my philosophy on dealing with people selling music (or anything for that matter)

That being said, I have NEVER not gotten something from NWN (a lot of the stuff was even sent to post the same day, is always well-packaged, and you always get a notification when it was sent). In my experience, if you order it from there, you will get it one way or another.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:50 pm 

If possible, I try to buy from NWN or Hells because I've used both for years and never had any problems... However, I would never order anything directly from Judd, Jeff Wilson or any of the like. Especially with everything that has happened over the years, you can only blame yourself if you give them money and don't get what you ordered.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:10 pm 

I don't think it's really a question of trust here. If anything, it's more a question of greed and stupidity. Specifically, in this case, you had people take a really risky venture investing in a person whose past actions set off red flags, and in return they got burned for it. The individuals and labels that thought it was worth investing money got burned, rightfully, for their own greed. The fans who thought pre-ordering knowing full well the person they were pre-ordering from had cheated fans in the past also got burned for their own carelessness and stupidity.

This is a classic case of what to avoid, both for labels and for fans. The sad truth is that even exposing all of this in the first place met with so much blowback from the people involved that it went way further than it should have. You can't hide the truth, not in today's world where feedback is instantaneous and global in scope. Given all that has happened, the labels and people involved should have accepted their part in this with humility, and the people who continue to defend what happened need to come to terms that they were cheated.

The lessons learned here are obvious. In the future, take every precaution possible before investing in and backing someone; and if you don't, you will likely be burned. In the future, be aware about who you buy things from, especially for pre-orders, and, in fact, maybe just don't pre-order anything at all. Always try your best to make sure the people you buy things from are credible, and if they don't prove to be credible, don't buy from them again.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:04 pm 

You're completely right that it comes down to greed. At the end of the day there wasn't even a risk because PayPal protects purchases for SIX MONTHS after the sales date. People who got burned must have been doing some pretty crazy mental gymnastics to think "i'm sure this item that was released five months ago or had its release date pushed four times will arrive any day now!" Imagine not even filing a PayPal dispute because the potential to own a "rare" record is more important than the money you paid for it.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 am 

Maybe of interest for the people who never received their reissues of the first two Twilight albums from AMM or were disappointed with the subpar sound quality. Prophecy in Germany has released the first two albums as a limited edition book CD (500 copies) and also both albums as regular LP's. The CD book contains about 30+ pages with old photo's and small interviews. Both albums also received new artwortk courtesy of Jef "Leviathan" Whitehead. Glad i didn't give my money to those crackheads at AMM and waited for this superb release, well worth the money if you ask me.

https://en.prophecy.de/artists/twilight/twilight-twilight-monument-to-time-end.html

Arjan333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 am 

No. Not ANY nachtmystium (or related) release, nor any prophecy productions release after the signing of that ripoff junkie is worth your money.
People should learn to simply avoid paying money for anything that comes close to blake jude in any way, and everything will backfire on him eventually. No sales = no support from any label. He will be dropped by the label and rot in the gutter.

BenjaminC81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:02 am 

You are right about Blake Judd but what about the other guys who played in Twilight? I don't why i should feel bad about supporting them by purchasing this release. It's just as much their baby as it is Judd's. Jeff Whitehead was closely involved with this release so at least it has that going for it. I personally have no interest in Nachtmystium or Blake Judd so i could care less about supporting them. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Prophecy drops his ass like a bad habit as well. The man is just a a walking disaster and will continue to be so until he drops off this mortal coil, hopefully sooner as later.

Larval Divination
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:52 am 

Thought I'd share this here: http://www.bardomethodology.com/article ... interview/

Interview with Robert of Elegy Records, one of the most iconic American black metal labels as many know. The interview mostly deals with the AMM fiasco and how Blake contacted them, Red Stream records and whatnot. Pretty interesting read, I really enjoyed his perspective over how the whole AMM ordeal started when Blake contacted them, Red Stream, and Moribund.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:04 am 

BenjaminC81 wrote:
Maybe of interest for the people who never received their reissues of the first two Twilight albums from AMM or were disappointed with the subpar sound quality. Prophecy in Germany has released the first two albums as a limited edition book CD (500 copies) and also both albums as regular LP's. The CD book contains about 30+ pages with old photo's and small interviews. Both albums also received new artwortk courtesy of Jef "Leviathan" Whitehead. Glad i didn't give my money to those crackheads at AMM and waited for this superb release, well worth the money if you ask me.

https://en.prophecy.de/artists/twilight/twilight-twilight-monument-to-time-end.html

I see the bonus tracks come from that wretched Trident Death Rattle disc - are they at least sourced from hi-fi files this times or are they just repackaging shitty mp3s one more time? What's Wrest's stance on this, or the other members'? I remember they got burned too by Flake with the third album so if this release does come with their approval and they're getting their due compensation for it I might be interested, otherwise fuck it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

BlackSunBlood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:19 am 

Larval Divination wrote:
Thought I'd share this here: http://www.bardomethodology.com/article ... interview/

Interview with Robert of Elegy Records, one of the most iconic American black metal labels as many know. The interview mostly deals with the AMM fiasco and how Blake contacted them, Red Stream records and whatnot. Pretty interesting read, I really enjoyed his perspective over how the whole AMM ordeal started when Blake contacted them, Red Stream, and Moribund.

Thanks for sharing that. Good read. Good to have one more confirmation that BJ's tale about having spoken permission to do this was bs. Insane what happened to Elegy as well.

Ozenrol
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:22 pm 

BlackSunBlood wrote:
Insane what happened to Elegy as well.

Yeah, this is definitely alarming. I hadn't heard anything about this previously. It's happened to at least three other labels as well, including Moribund.

I dug up an article talking about this and laying out the probable reasoning, pretty enlightening.

https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/01/d ... ive/74398/

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:36 pm 

This happened because of the label selling NSBM but there are other threads to discuss that topic.

For this thread, I find it interesting to have Rob's insights on Blake and the whole JI reissue campaign. You know how bad it must be to bring Andy out of hiding to take action. While I understand he is keeping a low profile and doesn't want to put himself out there, I wish he would've made a public statement on the matter.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm 

I ordered a couple albums from Elegy, trying to help his closing sale. I have been ordering items off and on from him since 2000. It’s crazy to think that it’s going to close and kind of sad (that label was a part of expanding my black metal horizons).

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:43 pm 

It still baffles me how easily people will believe someone like Blake Judd if there's a lot of coin to be made.

I thought this was pretty interesting:
Quote:
...that if anyone began bootlegging JUDAS ISCARIOT, he had permission to release it proper...

Were there any bootleg LPs circulating before Judd appeared?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm 

Ozenrol wrote:
I dug up an article talking about this and laying out the probable reasoning, pretty enlightening.

Ah, yes. Whenever I look for enlightenment on a story of hate speech, politics, and financial regulation, my first stop is a video game blog covered in hentai ads and a journalist whose bio talks about "rustling jimmes."

cweed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:19 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ozenrol wrote:

Ah, yes. Whenever I look for enlightenment on a story of hate speech, politics, and financial regulation, my first stop is a video game blog covered in hentai ads and a journalist whose bio talks about "rustling jimmes."

Yeah, agreed...that site is really gross.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:51 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Don't we all?
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:57 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
It still baffles me how easily people will believe someone like Blake Judd if there's a lot of coin to be made.

I thought this was pretty interesting:
Quote:
...that if anyone began bootlegging JUDAS ISCARIOT, he had permission to release it proper...

Were there any bootleg LPs circulating before Judd appeared?

Heaven In Flames' on 'Satan Records' (totally fabricated label name of course, but that record was quite well done for a bootleg, in fact it was better than most of Judd's substandard garbage). Apparently 'The Cold Earth Slept Below' wasn't actually released by Sombre, and there's some controversy surrounding the 2010 Inferna Profundus reissue as well, IIRC Andy reached out to the label to tell them to stop releasing JI records since they're unsanctioned and he didn't want to have anything to do with it.

Also you could argue that Blake had that classic 'Distant..' boot (you know, that 40-but-38-copies-to-be-precise-Sombre-deadstock-warehouse-find with the Jeff Wilson sleeves) made in an attempt to legitimize the story of his other '100% official!!' reissues.

Sonic_Titan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:02 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ozenrol wrote:

LMAO :lol:

tollundman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 pm 

lookee look what i found...

since he's been banned from hocking non-existent goods from every reputable venue, he started his own website to pawn off things that don't exist:

https://soundscars.com/music-merch-shop

Last edited by tollundman on Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 pm 

This guy is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

tollundman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:25 am 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
This guy is the gift that keeps on giving. :lol:

yup. you have to give him credit for being tenacious. the typically flake-esque longwinded descriptions alone are hilarious...

ALL CD's ARE BEING LIQUIDATED AT SOUND SCARS DISTRO! Every CD in our distro is marked down 35 to 50% from it's original listed price. We hope to be 100% analog by the end of 2019, carrying only physical releases on cassette and LP. To get there, we have to get rid of several hundred CD's we've acquired from the left-over AMM distro stock along with some other stuff we've got stock piled from over the years. Take advantage of this opportunity to get some great music on CD format for dirt cheap!

that's just part of one listing, the black witchery and conqueror ones go on for a novel's chapter length.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:55 pm 

So the saga gets yet another reboot(leg).
Wonder where the mythical AMM liquidation stock will pop up next.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Stronthor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:07 pm 

I'm sure some 100% intentionally honest bloke will come along to buy the entire liquidation stock, to start his own completely new webshop that does not accept paypal and is not affiliated with Judd or AMM in any way.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:09 pm 

Sound Scars??? Jesus Christ - he really thinks changing one word from his last scam account will trick people?

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:15 pm 

This proves once more a harsh truth about heavy drugs: you can clean yourself up, but once your brain gets seriously addled by substances, you can never un-fuck it up (fuck it down?), ever.

This guy's grasp on reality is forever distorted. NO ONE with the tiniest shred of sense left, no matter how desperate or shameless, would go on trying over and over and over again like this.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

CarlLSanders
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:54 pm 

Arjan333 wrote:
No. Not ANY nachtmystium (or related) release, nor any prophecy productions release after the signing of that ripoff junkie is worth your money.
People should learn to simply avoid paying money for anything that comes close to blake jude in any way, and everything will backfire on him eventually. No sales = no support from any label. He will be dropped by the label and rot in the gutter.

Thing is: then we would miss out on the interesting, frequently brilliant music. No need to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.
As far as junkies in music: looong history there, including several of my faves, e.g. Bird.
As for 'trust'.... I guess that I was born without that gene.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:52 pm 

CarlLSanders wrote:
Arjan333 wrote:

Thing is: then we would miss out on the interesting, frequently brilliant music. No need to cut off one's nose to spite one's face.
As far as junkies in music: looong history there, including several of my faves, e.g. Bird.
As for 'trust'.... I guess that I was born without that gene.

Frequently interesting... If you mean 2 1/2 albums that he, largely, didn't write.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 pm 

I thought Nachtmystium was interesting too, when I was a drug ridden college students. :lol:

tollundman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:07 pm 

MaleficDevilry wrote:
I thought Nachtmystium was interesting too, when I was a drug ridden college students. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the drama around him is more interesting than 90% of his musical output (and the 10% that is any good was because he had others with actual talent propping him up).

tollundman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
So the saga gets yet another reboot(leg).
Wonder where the mythical AMM liquidation stock will pop up next.

next phase, ascension monuments pop-up shops!

location: random street corners and alleys, cash only. just give him 15 minutes, he'll be back with your records... promise.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:23 am 

tollundman wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

the drama around him is more interesting than 90% of his musical output (and the 10% that is any good was because he had others with actual talent propping him up).

10%? More like "Ghosts of Grace" and nothing else. :P

tollundman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
tollundman wrote:
MaleficDevilry wrote:

10%? More like "Ghosts of Grace" and nothing else. :P

i'll give him credit for demise and instinct:decay. he had neill/imperial and lord mantis propping him up on those... that's about it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next