Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 am 

I already made a thread a while back in the Metal Discussion forum for people to discuss when they felt the true "Golden Age Of Heavy Metal" was, but now it's become a decade-spanning project on the excellent Metal site Global Domination Is Dead (a spin-off from the original Global Domination, if you remember it).

Anyway, before we get to the meat of this project, first I suppose I should explain what it’s about exactly; put simply, this will be an entry-by-entry discussion of at least five trailblazing, defining metal records year-by-year from a period I’m going to define as the Golden Age of Metal (duh), complete with links to the original reviews from the old Global Domination site (where they haven’t been deleted, that is), in case you guys feel like taking a lil’ trip down Internet Memory Lane at the same time.

This won’t be an entirely dissimilar feature from the old Year In Review features we were doing for a while there (which I recommend you go back and check out), but instead of covering a smattering of records from random years with more of an emphasis on personal favorites, this feature will instead focus on at least a full decade’s worth of metal in chronological order, all of it written by yours truly, and with less effort put towards my own personal preferences for certain records (although of course, my own biases will play some sort of role here), and more of an eye on placing important, genre-defining metal records in their larger historical context.

But, as for what exactly the Golden Age of Metal is, there’s still currently no “official”, scholarly definition of it, at least, not one you can find on Wikipedia, Arbiter of All Online Truths; every attempt I’ve made searching online for the term “Golden Age of Heavy Metal” has only lead me to random articles and blog entries on the subject, all of which define it differently. But, speaking personally, while I’m certainly not any kind of expert on the roots of the genre, to put it in terms we can all understand, basically, the influence of the rock ‘n roll of the 1950’s eventually led to the hard rock of the 60’s, which evolved further into the early metal of the 70’s, including, of course, the explosion of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal towards the end of that decade, which continued strong through the early 80’s.

However, despite the strength of the NWoBHM movement, and its massive influence on various subgenres of metal, in my opinion, the Golden Age of the genre would not begin until a bit further into the decade, when we not only began consistently getting an unprecedented (and unmatched ever since) amount of great, classic albums, but also records that would prove to be genre-defining to the biggest, most important styles of modern metal, as the style really developed, diversified, and expanded outside of Britain to become a truly global(ly dominate) phenomenon. But, when exactly this age began as far as I see it, you’ll learn soon enough; in the meantime, just be patient, and get ready for the Golden Age of Metal, baby!

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:36 am 

Anyway, once you're done reading that project intro, check out my entry on the defining Metal record of 1984, featuring Iron Maiden, Bathory, Metallica, and many more!

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:53 pm 

My latest entry in the project for 1985, featuring Celtic Frost, Megadeth, & Exodus was just posted, so check it out!: https://globaldominationisdead.wordpres ... metal-1985

ThStealthK wrote:

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:19 pm 

Here's my entry for 1986, featuring Kreator, Candlemass, Slayer, and many more!: https://globaldominationisdead.wordpres ... etal-1986/

ThStealthK wrote:

Reply to topic